Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Squirrel nest would be ok in the current standard. It wouldn't go infinite and label you the squirrel guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Entropic posted:

That's not a squirrel, it's a chipmunk. :colbert:

Maybe you should have read the text on the page and figured out that they already addressed your pedantry!!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

Maybe you should have read the text on the page and figured out that they already addressed your pedantry!!

I was distracted by the cute rodent.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I was distracted by the cute rodent.

But never too distracted to be contrary.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Squirrel nest would be ok in the current standard. It wouldn't go infinite and label you the squirrel guy.

Yeah, without Earthcraft it's fine.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Getting back into MTGO after a few year hiatus. What are some standard staples for now and any upcoming rotation? Dual lands? Thanks

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Tharizdun posted:

Oh god. Wait....

The Amulet triggers stack

:stonklol:

It took me long enough to get exactly what this meant. Then ... :magical:

Bigger version of Ajani for those who want to admire the chipmunk in proper context instead of the halfsize thing Wizards put up. (Open it fully from timg, not halfway).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I know someone had asked in this thread why people hate the MTGO Wide Beta, and I gave a somewhat simple explanation, but this Adam Barnello column goes into it more deeply including an unbiased account from a new player/user who had never used the V3 client: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/recurring-nightmares-ill-be-the-judge-of-that/

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

If I bestow Brimaz, King of Oreskos with Sightless Brawler with only him on the field, can he attack?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Samael posted:

If I bestow Brimaz, King of Oreskos with Sightless Brawler with only him on the field, can he attack?

Nope, he can't attack alone. The fact that he could end up not being alone later on (if the triggered ability isn't countered) isn't relevant when deciding whether he can attack.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Samael posted:

If it's just him attacking, no. What happens is the game looks at who is being declared as an attacker, so even though his Meowjesty never attacks alone, he's alone when he would be declared as an attacker. And that's all Sightless Brawler looks for.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

If it's just him attacking, no. What happens is the game looks at who is being declared as an attacker, so even though his Meowjesty never attacks alone, he's alone when he would be declared as an attacker. And that's all Sightless Brawler looks for.

Okay, thanks for the answer.

Still trying to make a block constructed deck which isn't naya or gruul. Goddamn this format is miserable.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

We had a little bit of a rules discussion yesterday and I'm pretty sure we did it right but I just wanted to check.

When Grey Merchant hits the field the Devotion trigger goes on the stack, then you can kill Gary in respones to that trigger preventing it from going off. It can't go off since Gary isn't on the battlefield anymore. When something like Nekrataal comes into play can you do the same or does that trigger happen regardless? There's always alot of confusion about these abilities and how you can respond to them.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

lockdar posted:

We had a little bit of a rules discussion yesterday and I'm pretty sure we did it right but I just wanted to check.

When Grey Merchant hits the field the Devotion trigger goes on the stack, then you can kill Gary in respones to that trigger preventing it from going off. It can't go off since Gary isn't on the battlefield anymore. When something like Nekrataal comes into play can you do the same or does that trigger happen regardless? There's always alot of confusion about these abilities and how you can respond to them.

The trigger actually goes off in both cases, what killing Gary in response to the trigger does is reduce their devotion to black by two when the trigger actually resolves. I think in order for killing the creature to stop the trigger, the card would need contain language like, "When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, do foo".

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

lockdar posted:

This is all wrong, but there is a line of play similar for gary.

Gary hits play, his trigger goes onto the stack. As the ability goes on the stack, you also have desecration demon in play, bringing your devotion to four. This doesn't matter though until the trigger comes off the stack. If say, somebody was to overload a rift in response to a gary trigger, devotion will be zero when the trigger comes off the stack. Alternatively, you have the same board and someone ultimate prices your desecration demon, your devotion will be two coming off the stack. Once Gary's come into play ability is on the stack, it can only be countered by cards or abilities that stifle. Hope this helps.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

The trigger actually goes off in both cases, what killing Gary in response to the trigger does is reduce their devotion to black by two when the trigger actually resolves. I think in order for killing the creature to stop the trigger, the card would need contain language like, "When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, do foo".

Yeah, this actually has happened in print at least once that I know of off the top of my head (Stalking Yeti), and it does work that way.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, this actually has happened in print at least once that I know of off the top of my head (Stalking Yeti), and it does work that way.

That could probably be retemplated as "Stalking Yeti fights target creature an opponent controls" without any functional change, right?

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

Jabor posted:

That could probably be retemplated as "Stalking Yeti fights target creature an opponent controls" without any functional change, right?

No, or it would have received errata already. Yeti's damage is sequential, so the damage it deals may affect the other creature before it hits back - give the Yeti infect/wither. Fighting is simultaneous damage.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Homo for Hitler posted:

This is all wrong, but there is a line of play similar for gary.

Gary hits play, his trigger goes onto the stack. As the ability goes on the stack, you also have desecration demon in play, bringing your devotion to four. This doesn't matter though until the trigger comes off the stack. If say, somebody was to overload a rift in response to a gary trigger, devotion will be zero when the trigger comes off the stack. Alternatively, you have the same board and someone ultimate prices your desecration demon, your devotion will be two coming off the stack. Once Gary's come into play ability is on the stack, it can only be countered by cards or abilities that stifle. Hope this helps.

I see, then we were wrong but now we know the answer. Thanks guys!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Woapalanne posted:

No, or it would have received errata already. Yeti's damage is sequential, so the damage it deals may affect the other creature before it hits back - give the Yeti infect/wither. Fighting is simultaneous damage.

Yep. If you want to see older cards that have been errata'd to fight, look at Arena or Triangle of War.

I want them to reprint Arena in a supplemental product. That card gets so much cooler when it says "Those creatures fight each other."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a shame arena athlete has no arena in which he can be an athlete

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

All the world is an arena to the glorious followers of Iroas, friend. :smugbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ya I wish we had an arena Urborg too.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If squirrel nes gets reprinted in M15 I will make a Murdersquirrel deck...it sounds cute until they explode in fiery goodness!

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Does anyone know if there's a way in Forge to disable the four-per-deck rule? I want to make that ridiculous sixty Chancellor of the Dross deck but it won't let me add more than four.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Kraus posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way in Forge to disable the four-per-deck rule? I want to make that ridiculous sixty Chancellor of the Dross deck but it won't let me add more than four.

Game Settings -> Preferences -> Gameplay -> Uncheck "Deck Conformance" should do it

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

I like to think that Ajani brought that little guy along specifically so he could whap some +1+1 counters down on him.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sarcastro posted:

I like to think that Ajani brought that little guy along specifically so he could whap some +1+1 counters down on him.

He should be riding the chipmunk, then.

Fake edit: that's the new name for casting Ajani. I tap 5 mana, and it's time to ride the chipmunk.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Brian Kibler ‏@bmkibler 10h
I am sufficiently annoyed in this brief foray into the beta that it's already earned a blog post on its faults.

Great news everyone, Kibler has tweeted about how bad the new client is. The chance of wotc fixing the client is now +0.0001 -- an increase of ∞ over the previous level of 0.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tharizdun posted:

A math nerd cruched the numbers and found that except in extreme edge cases (like legacy burn decks that run south of 14 lands) there is no appreciable "deck thinning" advantage to any number of fetches that a regular player playing between 5-15 games a week would notice before the heat death of the universe.

Actual pro tip: If you are "always getting mana screwed/flooded" it's not because you aren't running enough fetches, it's because you shuffle like an idiot and not enough. SHUFFLE MORE.

I was talking about the percentage difference between running basics vs. duals.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Oh I crunched that data the time before the time before last time this came up in the thread, but I must have deleted it cleaning up my google docs at one point. :( .

You can build it up from this sort of argument:

If odds of drawing a land are x / 53 without fetching and x - 1 / 52 after a fetch, then subtract the ratios to find the decrease in chances of seeing a land:

Say x is 24 for the sake of this example, we're talking 24 / 53 - 23 / 52 = .010, or 1%. Or, 99% as likely to find a land after fetching. This of course compounds each draw, but if you have 8 fetches and always fetch first I think it was like 13 draws or so before that .99^x came to 50%, or that you were as likely or not to have drawn an extra nonland. For the low low price of 3.7 life or something.

It really is negligible.

I saw a more detailed analysis that showed that in most situations/decks, it takes 4 fetch activations to raise the expected number of non-land cards you draw in the game by 1. While that's not a lot, it's basically a Sylvan Library rate which is ok if you ask me.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Tournament Rules 2.12 posted:

At Competitive and Professional Rules Enforcement Level, players may not use electronic devices once they have sat for their match or during deck construction, with the exception of taking brief personal calls with the opponent's permission.

At Regular Rules Enforcement Level, electronic devices are permitted, but players may not use them to access information that contains substantial strategic advice or information about an opponent's deck. Device use during a match other than brief personal calls must be visible to all players.

Players wishing to view information privately on electronic devices during matches must request permission from a judge. The Head Judge or Tournament Organizer of a tournament may further restrict or forbid the use of electronic devices during matches.

Not that I'm playing in all that many Competitive and Pro level events, but I've been using one of these to keep track of life totals lately:

I'm assuming that it wouldn't be allowed even though it's basically just a replacement for pen and paper. Hopefully they don't end up extending the ban to Regular/FNM, it's been really nice not having to scramble around for paper when I run out or have a life pad explode in my backpack.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

I would think it would be fine, but you should clear it with the HJ before round 1. The intent of the new rule is mainly for cell phones and tablets.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

change my name posted:

15 different versions of Ornithopter and Spellbook each, 30 colorless affinity cards.

This reminds me of a deck idea I had. Bear with me here because I know it's not legal in any format and there are better uses for the cards involved. Everyone just shut up and come along for the ride.

Ornithopters. Shield Spheres. As much toughness for 0 or 1-cost artifact creatures as we can get. This will power out massive amounts of mana from Tolarian Academy.

That mana gets dumped into Blue Sun's Zeniths to draw more until we hit Phenax and start milling with all our cheap artifact creatures, while continuing to draw more and more heat.

Eventually we redraw USZ and, powered by a massive Tolarian Academy (we can even use them twice because of the new legendary rule!), point it at the opponent to finish the job.

I call this deck...

The University of Phenax :v:

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Take it to a Vintage Tournament and watch the confusion

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Agentdark posted:

Take it to a Vintage Tournament and watch the confusion

It sounds a little like Cheerios.

It's totally Vintage playable.

...it probably actually is. Vintage is strange.

So we had a strange rules question come up. I had Wild Pair out and resolved a firebreather. When does Wild Pair check the total P/T? On arrival or on resolution of the ability. In other words, can I pump my guy to get bigger creatures or am I stuck getting something with his original P/T? I was pretty sure it checks on resolution, a la Gary, so I can get bigger dudes out of it, but my friend who totally knows a dude who was taking his judge test, was told otherwise.

Edit: vvvvv Oh yeah. I forgot about Gatherer, ha. Well now everyone knows.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 9, 2014

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

suicidesteve posted:

It sounds a little like Cheerios.

It's totally Vintage playable.

...it probably actually is. Vintage is strange.

So we had a strange rules question come up. I had Wild Pair out and resolved a firebreather. When does Wild Pair check the total P/T? On arrival or on resolution of the ability. In other words, can I pump my guy to get bigger creatures or am I stuck getting something with his original P/T? I was pretty sure it checks on resolution, a la Gary, so I can get bigger dudes out of it, but my friend who totally knows a dude who was taking his judge test, was told otherwise.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=207929

Looks like you were right.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

ScarletBrother posted:

I would think it would be fine, but you should clear it with the HJ before round 1. The intent of the new rule is mainly for cell phones and tablets.

Yeah, I'd probably bring it and ask when I do go to another Competitive event, it's not like vendors handing out life pads are in short supply if it doesn't get approved.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I come up with this stupid idea just to string you jerks along for an awful pun and you respond by going "man that almost sounds viable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I come up with this stupid idea just to string you jerks along for an awful pun and you respond by going "man that almost sounds viable."

If it helps, I liked the pun :shobon:

• Locked thread