Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ignoarints posted:

The trick is the resolution of your physical screen I'm sure. What laptop?

It's a Lenovo T440s Thinkpad, but I'm on Windows 7 not 8 which seems to have all the DPI Scaling options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Tab8715 posted:

It's a Lenovo T440s Thinkpad, but I'm on Windows 7 not 8 which seems to have all the DPI Scaling options.

7 has dpi scaling.

Right click desktop, screen resolution, make text and other items larger or smaller.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I completely glossed over the phrase DPI scaling. tooo early

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

DrDork posted:

Why not just take a normal stereo speaker set and turn them on their sides and lay them under the monitor, then? Also, you know sound bars are just a left/right speaker in one frame, yes? If it's because you don't want off-center sound, you could buy two of them (they're like $20 shipped from Amazon) and then use a splitter cable so that each bar only gets the right or left channel.

Thanks for the reply. I use the stand to set things on so I don't want to consume that space with a speaker. Great thought on the bar -- I'll keep that in mind.

What I really need to do is find a friend with a 3d printer in dc . . .

UPDATE: more like $15.99 w/ amazon prime. Ordered, thanks for the thought.

wwb fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 9, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Christoff posted:

Last page he posted pics too

Oh nice, how high do these ZR22w stands adjust to?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fookolt posted:

Oh nice, how high do these ZR22w stands adjust to?

Don Lapre posted:

Here is lowest height

Tallest height

Full tilt forward

And full tilt backward

There is also a rare Extended height model. PN LV980AA

At full height it is not high enough to do portrait without it tilting backwards some.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Don Lapre posted:

There is also a rare Extended height model. PN LV980AA

At full height it is not high enough to do portrait without it tilting backwards some.

Thanks for the pictures! If it's possible to measure it, how high is the top part of the monitor at the tallest configuration?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

HalloKitty posted:

7 has dpi scaling.

Right click desktop, screen resolution, make text and other items larger or smaller.

If it's a work system it's pretty much guaranteed to break at least one app

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fookolt posted:

Thanks for the pictures! If it's possible to measure it, how high is the top part of the monitor at the tallest configuration?

At the heighest setting the top of the monitor is roughly 23" off the desk. At the lowest setting the top of the monitor is at 19" off the desk.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dissss posted:

If it's a work system it's pretty much guaranteed to break at least one app

Oh no doubt. Manufacturers have started to run into high DPI displays without the software actually being ready.

Also, I saw someone scale up their display on a 15.6" 1366x768 laptop. Yeah. Apparently that wasn't big enough already. Of course, some software now didn't even want to launch, because they wanted 768 pixels vertical minimum.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Dell U2412M - is that a decent enough monitor to get for someone whose eyesight has seen better days?

Anyone? Bueller?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone? Bueller?

I think so. Worse case scenario you pump windows dpi scaling to 150% and then text size should be more than comfortable at that size/resolution.

japtor posted:

I think I just saw this at a Costco for $219 marked down from $250, not sure if that's a nationwide thing or varies by location though. They have it online for the $250 price.

I saw it at my Costco in Georgia for $220 as well. I wish Costco carried the 29" inch version.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 11, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I just picked up the 34UM95 from Fry's. Since it was the display model, they took off 5%. This is a fantastic display - its pretty much everything I've been looking for. Enough horizontal space to be extremely usable and enough vertical space to not feel cramped at all.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 12, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just saw this. I have one and love it.

27" Monoprice 2560x1440 IPS Glass Panel Pro LED Monitor (WQHD) $369.99 + $40 Rakuten Cash + Free Shipping

http://slickdeals.net/f/6924104-27-monoprice-2560x1440-ips-glass-panel-pro-led-monitor-wqhd-369-99-40-rakuten-cash-free-shipping

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Is rakuten worth buying from? I've seen some really obvious, blatant scams on there but a lot of otherwise good deals. I never really knew what was up with it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There were some issues with cc fraud but I got pretty much the same exact deal through them 2 months ago and all is well. Not my preferred site of shopping but meh

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

Is rakuten worth buying from? I've seen some really obvious, blatant scams on there but a lot of otherwise good deals. I never really knew what was up with it.

They are just buy.com with a new name.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-2...-+sellout.woot1

HP ZR2740W 27" WQHD LED-Backlit IPS Monitor with DisplayPort & DVI-D $300

lovely reviews on amazon but hey

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 13, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Christoff posted:

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-2...-+sellout.woot1

HP ZR2740W 27" WQHD LED-Backlit IPS Monitor with DisplayPort & DVI-D $300

lovely reviews on amazon but hey

At that size, is the native resolution a good thing or is 1920x1080 more preferable?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Ferret King posted:

At that size, is the native resolution a good thing or is 1920x1080 more preferable?

1920x1080 is ridiculous for general usage on a 27" display (fine for video and gaming).

That said the density of the 1440 27" panels is a bit higher than your usual 1920x1080 @ 23" so do consider that

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

1440p is a lot better than 1080p at that size. However it takes a lot more GPU to make that function the same as 1080p for games.

I understand the 1080p 27" inch argument, but it seriously just isn't that bad (to me). I had a 27" 1080p monitor and I wouldn't have wanted a 23 over it. It all depends on the price. Yes, the pixels are physically bigger.

Ridiculous would be putting a 40" 1080p TV on your desk and sitting in front of that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I went from a 27" 1080p to a 27" 1440p and could never go back.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ignoarints posted:

1440p is a lot better than 1080p at that size. However it takes a lot more GPU to make that function the same as 1080p for games.

I understand the 1080p 27" inch argument, but it seriously just isn't that bad (to me). I had a 27" 1080p monitor and I wouldn't have wanted a 23 over it. It all depends on the price. Yes, the pixels are physically bigger.

Ridiculous would be putting a 40" 1080p TV on your desk and sitting in front of that.

Yeah I had a 32" 1080p and out of the close to dozen people to use my setup over the years, they all liked it. No one ever complained about the pixels being too big.

That said, that Benq BL3200PT 32" 2560 x 1440 monitor looks pretty intriguing. Its just that LG 34UM95 is so tempting too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't that monitor I linked 2560x1440 or did I miss something

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
It is, ferret king just asked if 1080p was better basically

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I used 768p 32" for a brief period back in like 2006 and thought it was badass. Non gaming usage was atrocious though. Even that is playable for games once you consider that at the time console games weren't even being rendered at native 720p. So pc games looked crisp as hell comparatively

1080p at that res is great for gaming for the same reason considering it's pixel density is much better than larger tvs

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Coredump posted:

Yeah I had a 32" 1080p and out of the close to dozen people to use my setup over the years, they all liked it. No one ever complained about the pixels being too big.

That said, that Benq BL3200PT 32" 2560 x 1440 monitor looks pretty intriguing.

I have a BenQ 24" that I like alright... I really was drooling over 30"+ monitors but balking at the price. The above would suit my desire/budget just about perfectly.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
That is an awesome price, but it is refurbished afterall. I don't know if I'd try my luck with that or get a Korean monitor tbh.

A little side note about my qnix. I re used my DVI D cable from the last monitor thinking it would be fine (or better than whatever they shipped with the qnix) and had to adjust my colors a little since it seemed a tad yellow. I noticed the other day that it would actually vary a tiny bit. Just enough to be noticeable.

I tried the cable that came with it and it was instantly better and consistent. I had to readjust the colors to get it back to normal. Pretty surprising to me

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 13, 2014

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Ignoarints posted:

That is an awesome price, but it is refurbished afterall. I don't know if I'd try my luck with that or get a Korean monitor tbh.

The refurb ZR2740w's are pretty solid. We have a couple here in our office we bought when they were $360, and the only cosmetic defect is that the HP logo is slightly crooked. Other than that, they look brand new.

The only downside to these monitors I've seen is that the bottom edge is slightly dark. This affects all ZR2740w's according to the support guy I talked to.

Ignoarints posted:

A little side note about my qnix. I re used my DVI D cable from the last monitor thinking it would be fine (or better than whatever they shipped with the qnix) and had to adjust my colors a little since it seemed a tad yellow. I noticed the other day that it would actually vary a tiny bit. Just enough to be noticeable.

I tried the cable that came with it and it was instantly better and consistent. I had to readjust the colors to get it back to normal. Pretty surprising to me

The signal is digital, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Is it possible one cable is causing Windows to load a color profile and not with the other one?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Zorilla posted:

The refurb ZR2740w's are pretty solid. We have a couple here in our office we bought when they were $360, and the only cosmetic defect is that the HP logo is slightly crooked. Other than that, they look brand new.

The only downside to these monitors I've seen is that the bottom edge is slightly dark. This affects all ZR2740w's according to the support guy I talked to.

The signal is digital, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Is it possible one cable is causing Windows to load a color profile and not with the other one?

I don't know, in my experience DVI cables work or they don't. If you've seen a VGA cable with a slightly bad connection this is sort of how this was acting on a much smaller scale. This was with my own color profile and one I downloaded for this monitor (which looked like total rear end, might look good now though). I don't know how or why it would cause windows to alternate between the two if that was happening.

But I swapped them again and it was clearly happening. I couldn't tell if it was just in my head for a while until I saw it actively change ... hue, I guess. It just looked like the entire picture was slightly tinted yellow. It was hard to adjust out correctly, but when I swapped cables it was very blue due to me trying to adjust it. Now it looks perfect

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I picked up a U28D590D the other day (Samsung 60hz 4K) and a 780ti to power it, pretty loving pleased so far.

Problem is, DPI scaling even in 8.1 sucks complete and total rear end. If I set DPI scaling to per-monitor and set it to recommended, the windows and start bar are about as big as I'd want them, but it still seems to change the scaling on my U2713HM to be way too big - the taskbar is massive.

Also, huge numbers of apps have problems with DPI scaling. I assumed that gaming would be the issue with 4K: nope, games run loving beautifully. Applications just look like a huge piece of poo poo instead.

Anybody use non-standard UI scaling and can recommend some custom apps or something to manage this?

(incidentally, anybody know how to make the border of dual monitors scale, so that I don't have big deadzones where I can't move the mouse across screens?)

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
What's the recommended 1440p 27" monitor with at least 1x DisplayPort and 1x DVI? I was reading that some of the Korean 27"ers can overclock a good bit and have low input lag, but are DVI only.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

funroll loops posted:

What's the recommended 1440p 27" monitor with at least 1x DisplayPort and 1x DVI? I was reading that some of the Korean 27"ers can overclock a good bit and have low input lag, but are DVI only.

If you want to overclock you need a dvi only models.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

Don Lapre posted:

If you want to overclock you need a dvi only models.

Oh ok. Do those models match any of the ones with DisplayPort? I want two monitors but only have one DVI output on my PC. Seems like they would probably use the same panels and cases for the most part.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

funroll loops posted:

Oh ok. Do those models match any of the ones with DisplayPort? I want two monitors but only have one DVI output on my PC. Seems like they would probably use the same panels and cases for the most part.

There are active displayport to dvi adapters that should work, assuming your GPU can output both at the same time. They are expensive though, expect ~$70+, and you'll have to research which ones work unfortunately since there is a ton of garbage out there.

There are multi input models but they don't overclock. Might not matter so much though if you're running two, unless your video card can do over 60 hz on two 1440p monitors

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

Ignoarints posted:

There are active displayport to dvi adapters that should work, assuming your GPU can output both at the same time. They are expensive though, expect ~$70+, and you'll have to research which ones work unfortunately since there is a ton of garbage out there.

There are multi input models but they don't overclock. Might not matter so much though if you're running two, unless your video card can do over 60 hz on two 1440p monitors

I figured I would use the overclocked one for gaming and the other for regular dual monitor work. I guess if they are the same panel type and calibrated they will mostly look the same, even if the bezels don't match. I'll start looking down that route I suppose.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

funroll loops posted:

I figured I would use the overclocked one for gaming and the other for regular dual monitor work. I guess if they are the same panel type and calibrated they will mostly look the same, even if the bezels don't match. I'll start looking down that route I suppose.

As far as I'm aware they look exactly the same bezel wise. It might actually have a slightly better picture though. There is far less info on them, and they cost about $40 more. They are named "True10"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

funroll loops posted:

Another option is to spend the $40 on a second video card if you're just going to be running 2d/desktop crap on it. Then you could enjoy the overclocked smoothness of 75+Hz on both monitors--you really don't need a powerful card to push a desktop, after all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

funroll loops posted:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024608&p_id=6015&seq=1&format=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Passive cables rely on DisplayPort's ability to fall back to a DVI signal when necessary, but DisplayPort can't do dual link, so this won't work.

Ignoarints posted:

I have my doubts that an active adapter will accept an overclocked signal either. Since ones that can do Dual Link usually cost well over $100, it's a better deal (and far more elegant) to just spend a little extra on a monitor with a DisplayPort input built in. The cheapest ones out there now are:
  • HP ZR2740w (Refurb: $300-360)
    Very sturdy monitor, but bottom edge of screen appears slightly dark. 1-year on-site warranty. Despite being refurbs, I've never seen one with any cosmetic issues other than a slightly crooked HP badge on it.
  • Monoprice MPLE27QPM (Frequently on sale new for $340-360 on Rakuten.com)
    Extremely bright, even at "0" brightness. It has way more IPS glow than other displays for this reason. It has a glass face covering the LCD panel, but the polarizer is really effective as blocking out glare.
  • ASUS PB278Q (Used: $400-450; New: $480)
    Same PLS panel as the X-STAR/QNIX, which I'm a big fan of. The most expensive one on this list, but worth mentioning because it's the cheapest of the "big boy" brands and common enough that you might be able to check one out at your local Fry's or other electronics store.
  • RAEANtech TR-272 (New: $350 - Korean import)
    Same excellent AUO AH-VA panel as the BenQ BL2710PT. Looks a lot like Samsung PLS panels in my opinion. Extremely light weight. Mine had issues with artifacting during the pixel walk test. Hopefully, that's just an isolated issue and not a model-wide fault.
Of all the ones above, only the ASUS and HP have internal power supplies, if that matters to you.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 15, 2014