Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

DrBouvenstein posted:

Eh, I think talking about basic bachelor money-things is slightly on topic. We aren't getting into the nuances of creating a budget, or 401(k)s, but knowing howto properly pay your bills so as to avoid creditors and lovely credit is a good thing to talk about.

I don't remember MC Hawking making a single post in any of these threads that wasn't a whiny screed about staying on topic and how much more bachelor he is than other people, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Splizwarf posted:

There's a lot of things that are good for you. There's nothing I can think of, though, that's good for you no matter how much you have of it.

weed :2bong:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

kastein posted:

I was getting heartburn, horrible headaches, and constant back issues at 25.

Then I quit my horrible job that was driving me to drink and within a week it all went away. Not kidding.

Doesn't come back now unless I massively overdose on spicy food.

I was trying to remember why your name was so familiar, and now I realize it's because you post in 13 Inch's AI thread. If you want to stare the Ur-Bachelor in the eye and possibly live to tell about it, look no further than forums member 13 Inch Dick.

Buy a car full of spiders. Voluntarily fill your house with spiders. Have a room so gross even e/n is horrified. Drink so much that goons think you have a problem. Make women decisions based solely on astrological signs based around their facial piercing constellations. Drink some more. Then use that beer to make beer chicken.

Eat that chicken in your car full of spiders.

Drive that car off a cliff, start anew.

:911:

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I must read that thread. Now. Link it.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Cakefool posted:

I should clear my student loans this year, I'll celebrate by blowing that money the following month on getting some old friends together & getting them pissed.

Do it as soon as you can. Blowing a few thousand on the last bit sucks but not having to spend X dollars a month all of a sudden is pretty great.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Just The Facts posted:

Do it as soon as you can. Blowing a few thousand on the last bit sucks but not having to spend X dollars a month all of a sudden is pretty great.

Wrapping up my loans in for months :wooper:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575865

The current trainwreck. Highlight so far:

He's just as insane in real life and managed to spray me with a hose the first night we hung out and got drunk in my honda civic like teenagers and then proceeded to eventually date both of the women who witnessed that affront.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nah the highlight of that thread is 13' smoking a bowl of owl pellets. On video.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Touché. He was bitching for a week about his lungs after that. I feel worse for the cat.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Student loans? My flawless plan is to just never go back to the UK. Take that HMRC.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Trilineatus posted:

Touché. He was bitching for a week about his lungs after that. I feel worse for the cat.

I kinda feel partially responsible for that :sigh:

At least he didn't die because of it. Now I can laugh about it.

"Oh that's harsh... *takes another hit* it's got this... particular... funk to it."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm on a casual contract and there's not much for me to do in the office, so I took the day off meaning to go running, work out and research flights and jobs in Canada. You know, just generally try and take charge and halt the steady slide into poo poo my life's been doing for the last year.

Fifteen shameful hours later I've finished season 2 of The Office, started and finished season 3 and eaten a whole Lindt tray of expensive Easter chocolates. But I've got a date tomorrow so my self esteem hasn't quite bottomed out yet.

^^ What does a guy like that look like anyway? I assume facial hair and stained tee shirts make an appearance?

Outrail has a new favorite as of 14:39 on May 8, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

JEEVES420 posted:

If you wait long enough they kinda do. Except student loans...only way to avoid those is leave the country and never come back.

In the late 90s when my roommates and I couldnt afford a utility bill we would just not pay it and get the utility in another roommates name. Spent 8 years using no credit at all and paying large deposits and my credit was back to 0 negative (and 0 positive). Now I have great credit but I do occasionally still get a call from collection agencies that have bought one of those old accounts asking for pennies on the dollar.

I am in no way suggesting do that, your credit score is becoming the single most important number associated with you. It is even getting to the point that you wont be able to get some jobs with a bad credit score. Also dont get student loans if you dont absolutely have to.

I can second this with National Grid. I swear, they're a bunch of neanderthals, in a good way. In college, my roommate and I racked up a $1400 heat bill. Basically, I had electricity and internet in my name while my roommate was supposed to get the gas in his name. When he called them, they told him he had $80 due from a past account. When he told them he wanted to pay the balance immediately, their reply was "We need to send you a collections letter, which you must return with a personal check for the listed amount."

The letter never came, even after repeated calls. We each kept $700 squirreled away simply because we kept on saving whenever the bill came and they wouldn't take our money. Finally, one faithful day, he called, told them "Yep, we've been living here for 8 months. We have a huge debt we'd like to cover." they accepted his personal info and the reply was "Sir, we can only bill for the most recent 4 months" :haw:

It wound up being $380 or something which we paid right away and never heard a whisper of the other thousand dollars.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Just The Facts posted:

Unless Things Are Different in the US, you're probably better off repaying basically any other loan you have than a student loan. Here in the UK it's likely to be the lowest-interest loan you'll ever have, so you're generally better chucking extra money into your mortgage, car payment, credit card, whatever.

Of course I believe your student loans are considerably higher, so I could just be talking out my hat.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

RideTheSpiral posted:

Student loans? My flawless plan is to just never go back to the UK. Take that HMRC.

My flawless plan is that I live in scotland :smuggo:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

dregan posted:

Unless Things Are Different in the US, you're probably better off repaying basically any other loan you have than a student loan. Here in the UK it's likely to be the lowest-interest loan you'll ever have, so you're generally better chucking extra money into your mortgage, car payment, credit card, whatever.

Of course I believe your student loans are considerably higher, so I could just be talking out my hat.

In the US they are the lowest interest rate too, which has gotten a lot of people in huge debt because they think "hey its so low why not." Someone even tried to tell my sister, who did not need a loan, she should take one out anyways because the interest is so low.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Vindolanda posted:

Touché.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Got hammered last night with a couple of buddies I haven't seen in a year.

Then I got woken up by a phonecall at 9 AM. Turns out my English oral final was today and I had to book it to make it in time.

Hungover as gently caress/still kinda drunk, wearing a borrowed suit jacket to cover up poo poo my buddies wrote on my arms, and I got 80% :smug:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

JEEVES420 posted:

In the US they are the lowest interest rate too, which has gotten a lot of people in huge debt because they think "hey its so low why not." Someone even tried to tell my sister, who did not need a loan, she should take one out anyways because the interest is so low.

How the hell is this possibly good advice?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Outrail posted:

How the hell is this possibly good advice?

It can be, in some rare cases. Imagine that you keep the money in something with a bit of interest to reduce the losses, and then after a while use that money to pay (part of) a house or car or whatever that you'd otherwise have taken a normal loan for. If the cost of sitting on the money was less than what you will save in interest from there on, you're ahead.

With the caveat that I have no idea how this would work out tax-wise, and that I wouldn't gamble on it myself.

edit: I guess it might also work out if it lets her e.g. buy a small apartment instead of renting one, and the cost of ownership+interest is less than the cost of renting. Not likely, but I'm sure there are corner cases.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 16:21 on May 8, 2014

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

M.Ciaster posted:

Got hammered last night with a couple of buddies I haven't seen in a year.

Then I got woken up by a phonecall at 9 AM. Turns out my English oral final was today and I had to book it to make it in time.

Hungover as gently caress/still kinda drunk, wearing a borrowed suit jacket to cover up poo poo my buddies wrote on my arms, and I got 80% :smug:
Reminds me of my final last semester. Each student had 10 minutes to discuss their end-of-term paper with the professor, who was extremely lenient as long as you demonstrated you knew your stuff.

Enter me, hungover from a night of drinking with my about-to-graduate buddies and trying to battle heartburn from a cold pizza breakfast and a racing heart rate from a large Red Bull coursing through my veins. I thought my meeting was at 10:00, when it was at 9:30. My professor looked alarmed as I burst into his office at 9:29, hair wild, clothes crumpled, and with bloodshot eyes.

I got a 95% on that final and immediately went back to drinking afterwards to try and fix my hangover.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

JEEVES420 posted:

This can actually be good advise in very rare cases (example: interest rate is lower than rate of inflation/cost of living/wage increases, basically free money) but is usually a horrible idea.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

A few people I know took out a student loan, put the cash straight into a high interest savings thing and then lived off their part time job money which I thought was a good idea.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

See now THAT is loving brilliant and I applaud them for it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Vindolanda posted:

That's a pretty drat good plan. If I wasn't married to the idea of civilisation I'd come join you.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
High-interest savings-thingy? I don't think those exist anymore.

Brilliant back in the 90's/early 2000's, maybe.

Just try and find a savings account/CD with an interest rate even close to what the APR on the loan is now.

I guess if it's a subsidized loan, and it's a 4-year CD, so you can maximize all the profit from the interest while the original loan doesnt' increase at all, it can be worth it.

But even on a $10,000 loan with a 3% APR on the CD, you've made a whopping ~$1000 over four years.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I didn't actually do it so I dunno the specifics. Makes more sense than spending it on booze like a wanker, which is what I did

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DrBouvenstein posted:

High-interest savings-thingy? I don't think those exist anymore.

Brilliant back in the 90's/early 2000's, maybe.

Just try and find a savings account/CD with an interest rate even close to what the APR on the loan is now.

I guess if it's a subsidized loan, and it's a 4-year CD, so you can maximize all the profit from the interest while the original loan doesnt' increase at all, it can be worth it.

But even on a $10,000 loan with a 3% APR on the CD, you've made a whopping ~$1000 over four years.

I should also mention that it is a crime to do so. I know a guy who spent 3 years in prison for using student loan money to start a business with.

Shannonmcn posted:

I didn't actually do it so I dunno the specifics. Makes more sense than spending it on booze like a wanker, which is what I did

That probably didn't get you locked up for 3 years, so spending it on booze is a better idea.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

canyoneer posted:

I should also mention that it is a crime to do so. I know a guy who spent 3 years in prison for using student loan money to start a business with.

That probably didn't get you locked up for 3 years, so spending it on booze is a better idea.

It wasn't used though, it just sat there and it was a maintenance loan which you can do whatever you want with. Your fees-loan goes directly to the university.

In the UK anyway, dunno about US.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Cakefool posted:

That's a pretty drat good plan. If I wasn't married to the idea of civilisation I'd come join you.

Yeah, I mean it's basically third world and I'm leaving as soon as I can, but if the government are dumb enough and devoted enough to some childish "we're better than England" thing to give me free education then I won't argue.

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
In NZ student loans are interest free as long as you stay in NZ and are paying them off. So you can (and I think some people have) taken the extra from their loan while studying (living costs, etc) and put it into something that gets interest while they study.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So yesterday, I went down to visit at mate of mine who lives in the same apartment block as me. He's moving house, so he's looking to get rid of a bunch of stuff, and let me have a root through his back room where all his junk is stored. I came away with an old keyboard, some 8.5kg dumbbells, a bunch of useful decorating equipment, a 5.1 surround sound system, and some booze. Quite a lot of booze. Turns out he went teetotal a few years back, and had some stuff left over that he was never going to drink.

Here's a picture.

We have: almost full bottle of 12 year Highland Park; unopened 10 year Laphroig, a 2/3 full single cask Speyside single malt from the Whisky Appreciation society (which is 60% ABV and 20+ years old), a collection of 4 British ales, a surprise bottle of Hobgoblin, four bottles of Asahi Japanese beer, and sundry tiny bottles of random booze. All with a healthy layer of dust.

I may be in prison come Monday... bachelor weekend mode engaged.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Jeherrin posted:

So yesterday, I went down to visit at mate of mine who lives in the same apartment block as me. He's moving house, so he's looking to get rid of a bunch of stuff, and let me have a root through his back room where all his junk is stored. I came away with an old keyboard, some 8.5kg dumbbells, a bunch of useful decorating equipment, a 5.1 surround sound system, and some booze. Quite a lot of booze. Turns out he went teetotal a few years back, and had some stuff left over that he was never going to drink.

Here's a picture.

We have: almost full bottle of 12 year Highland Park; unopened 10 year Laphroig, a 2/3 full single cask Speyside single malt from the Whisky Appreciation society (which is 60% ABV and 20+ years old), a collection of 4 British ales, a surprise bottle of Hobgoblin, four bottles of Asahi Japanese beer, and sundry tiny bottles of random booze. All with a healthy layer of dust.

You are one lucky son of a bitch.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Jeherrin posted:

Surprise booze!

Awesome score on the Scotch, but toss the Asahi and don't expect too much from the other beers. Some beers benefit from aging, but most deteriorate pretty quickly past 3 months from packaging. Generally speaking, only stuff with double digit abv is going to hold up past about six months. The brewery I work for pulls our beer off the shelves after 120 days, for what it's worth.

For thread content, I just got off a 14 hour shift. I'm drinking my eighth beer, then I'm going to take a quick shower and get about six hours of sleep. My boss is picking me up to take me to a brewers conference in Austin, where I'm going to stay in a shithole hotel, attend a few technical seminars, eat a bunch of free food, and drink my weight in free beer. My boss told me to pack, and I quote, "At least four packs of cigarettes, your drinking pants, and shoes you don't mind puking on. Also, leave your self respect at home."

I love my job.

*edit* When I say that beer deteriorates, I don't mean it'll taste off, I mean it'll make you loving sick. Also Laphroiag is amazing and I'm jealous.

Hayden has a new favorite as of 15:24 on May 9, 2014

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Hayden posted:

Awesome score on the Scotch, but toss the Asahi and don't expect too much from the other beers. Some beers benefit from aging, but most deteriorate pretty quickly past 3 months from packaging. Generally speaking, only stuff with double digit abv is going to hold up past about six months. The brewery I work for pulls our beer off the shelves after 120 days, for what it's worth.

For thread content, I just got off a 14 hour shift. I'm drinking my eighth beer, then I'm going to take a quick shower and get about six hours of sleep. My boss is picking me up to take me to a brewers conference in Austin, where I'm going to stay in a shithole hotel, attend a few technical seminars, eat a bunch of free food, and drink my weight in free beer. My boss told me to pack, and I quote, "At least four packs of cigarettes, your drinking pants, and shoes you don't mind puking on. Also, leave your self respect at home."

I love my job.

*edit* When I say that beer deteriorates, I don't mean it'll taste off, I mean it'll make you loving sick. Also Laphroiag is amazing and I'm jealous.

Had a couple of the Asahi last night, no ill effects. i'm well aware of what beer past its prime tastes like, so I'll go carefully. I mean, it's not like I don't have back-up booze, right?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This supposed bachelor thread is getting awfully fancy.

Yeah, old beer tastes like poo poo, but as long as it's sealed and doesn't have mold colonies floating in it, it's still a perfectly safe alcohol delivery system.

I need to find friends that hand me three bottles of scotch.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jeherrin posted:

I'm still transfixed by this part.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm still transfixed by this part.

I'm hoping my pronouncement is merely tongue in cheek and I wake up in my own bedroom on Monday. Got some friends coming over, and it's likely to get... boozy.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Pharmaskittle posted:

I don't remember MC Hawking making a single post in any of these threads that wasn't a whiny screed about staying on topic and how much more bachelor he is than other people, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Part of the reason why I no longer post in these threads much is I've managed to turn my life around to a degree that I don't need to brag about being king poo poo of (what has become) a very lame nerd mountain to feel any self worth.

If you're going to give me crap about anything, give me crap that it took me this long to pull myself out of a long slow slump towards hard alcoholism, manic depression, and inevitable suicide by high blood pressure.

Rock solid 121/82 as of this morning down from an average high of 148/101. Kindly go to hell.

MC Hawking has a new favorite as of 19:27 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Part of the reason why I no longer post in these threads much is I've managed to turn my life around to a degree that I don't need to brag about being king poo poo of (what has become) a very lame nerd mountain to feel any self worth.

If you're going to give me crap about anything, give me crap that it took me this long to pull myself out of a long slow slump towards hard alcoholism, manic depression, and inevitable suicide by high blood pressure.

Rock solid 121/82 as of this morning down from an average high of 148/101. Kindly go to hell.

Hey, congrats man! I have similar issues (prehypertension for the win), so it's nice to hear a success story!

To stay on topic (/ erode my desire for self-improvement): found a great deal on booze - $10/liter vodka with $10 mail-in rebate - so my weekend is looking up :D

• Locked thread