Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh man, the feels. The ending of FFX still gets the ole heartstrings. The scene where Yuna rushes to grab or embrace Tidus and just falls straight through him is just heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm actually pretty pumped to be started X-2. It's been awhile since I played and I look forward to dicking around with the job system. Any early advice for me, besides just "use a guide"?

Look over a guide on where to get dress spheres and make sure you don't miss any, or you might have to start again with like 15 hours put into a save :negative:

And beat the first tournament of Shinra's new monster arena thing as soon as you're able, the reward is awesome.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

S-E is really getting that whole "ugly UI" thing down to a science:

You should not have to scroll to get through the menu.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

There are at least a couple (maybe closer to a handful) of bosses that, if the RNG just doesn't like you today, can just TPK you at a whim without recourse. It's insane.

Hrm, bosses seem a touch easy now thanks to changes in the stat growths for classes. I know, we'll just let bosses attack twice in a row rather than doing a drat thing to balance it. What do you mean it can double cast its incredibly damaging AoE and instantly wipe the party? Get good, scrub.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there any preferred way to grind up to arena bosses in FFX? Just puts around the Omega Ruins? There's all sorts of end-game AP guides, but I'm not advanced enough to do them yet. Have 4 Celestial Weapons, will get Wakka's sooner or later as I have all the reels, but not sure Ill get Lulu's and Tidus'.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'd say get Anima, progress through omega ruins, try to kill Ultima weapon or bribe him,
Omega ruins gives crazy ap. I'd say start there,
Go capture monsters, spend some time doing that, start with the harder area's first, so you get nice AP while capping monsters.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oh man, the feels. The ending of FFX still gets the ole heartstrings. The scene where Yuna rushes to grab or embrace Tidus and just falls straight through him is just heartbreaking.

I was glad of it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I have just remembered why I grew to be sick of Chocobo Catcher in X. gently caress those goddamn homing birds who can and happily will stunlock you and cost you a Sigil run. :argh:

And to think I still have my save to do this on after my cousin's...

E: and of course immediately after I post I manage to do it.

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 9, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Up to 89 hours and i just don't think I can stomach maxing out the Sphere Grid seven goddamn times. I think i'm gonna just beat this fucker and move on, it's just not worth it.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
The idea that anyone would be obsessive over a linear JRPG is sort of crazy to me. I can't even fathom doing anything in a game like Final Fantasy other than playing it straight through to the end and putting it aside, maybe going after a few sidebosses if I was so inclined. To each his own, I guess.

I mean FFX is awesome and all but I barely even have the patience to get the celestial weapons, let alone fight Penance. Too many other good games out there to be playing at this point in time.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 9, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe with FF3 on PC someone will mod it to be not horrible.

Hell, just hacking in "Save Everywhere" will make it that much less tedious.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Captain Mog posted:

The idea that anyone would be obsessive over a linear JRPG is sort of crazy to me. I can't even fathom doing anything in a game like Final Fantasy other than playing it straight through to the end and putting it aside, maybe going after a few sidebosses if I was so inclined. To each his own, I guess.

I mean FFX is awesome and all but I barely even have the patience to get the celestial weapons, let alone fight Penance. Too many other good games out there to be playing at this point in time.

I generally agree though games with heavy customization like jobs and materia like FF5, FF7, FFT, and Bravely Default tend to grab me for a long time. VIII through X, a lot less so, and IV and VI as much as I love the stories don't have that level of customization.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Captain Mog posted:

I was 14 and had too much time on my hands. The first time anyway. Now I just do it (and other more objectively stupid ideas) for fun. :v:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Not an empty quote.

Also Rosa was added to Curtain Call recently.

That's pretty cool. I think the character I want to be added most is Delita, if they bother to do anything more with Tactics. Agrias is the better choice if you're only doing two, but come on, it's Delita. He's got to be in there somewhere.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

That's pretty cool. I think the character I want to be added most is Delita, if they bother to do anything more with Tactics. Agrias is the better choice if you're only doing two, but come on, it's Delita. He's got to be in there somewhere.

Personally, I just am waiting for Dissidia:Triodecum Pretentious Titleus that adds Ramza and Delita as playable characters.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Armor-Piercing posted:

S-E is really getting that whole "ugly UI" thing down to a science:

You should not have to scroll to get through the menu.

Did they just port this from the Android version without changing a single thing? I'm trying to figure out how this ugly-rear end UI happened considering the DS and PSP versions have an alright looking one. (Though the PSP version has some font issues IIRC.)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MarsDragon posted:

I'm actually wondering who the bosses for Tactics tracks are, if they're Wiegraf, Algus/Argath/rear end in a top hat, or one of the Lucavi. (Don't tell me, I love waiting in suspense on this one.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Did they just port this from the Android version without changing a single thing? I'm trying to figure out how this ugly-rear end UI happened considering the DS and PSP versions have an alright looking one. (Though the PSP version has some font issues IIRC.)

The DS and PSP versions have good UIs because your fingers aren't acting as the actual control mechanism.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

The DS and PSP versions have good UIs because your fingers aren't acting as the actual control mechanism.

DS version unfortunately requires you to do the spotpass system to unlock stuff so what it gains in UI it loses in an extra annoyance.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not going to lie, I straight up cheated to get that stuff on the DS. There's AR codes floating around to make the game think you have enough Wi-Fi mail to access that stuff.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Don't worry!

X-2's "best" ending completely invalidates all of those feelings you have! And the new audio drama apparently kills him off after being brought back to life! :v:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ShadeofDante posted:

Don't worry!

X-2's "best" ending completely invalidates all of those feelings you have! And the new audio drama apparently kills him off after being brought back to life! :v:

Wasn't Tidus coming back to life in X-2 completely unexplained bullshit story-wise and just fan service?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Wasn't Tidus coming back to life in X-2 completely unexplained bullshit story-wise and just fan service?

Yes. Which is why its part of the audio-drama because apparently SE doesn't understand that fan-service is supposed to involve things fans want

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

Yes. Which is why its part of the audio-drama because apparently SE doesn't understand that fan-service is supposed to involve things fans want
And then he kicks a bomb and dies

THE END

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If they don't make an FFX-3, then why even bother with the audio drama, it's dumb.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The Only One posted:

gently caress final fantasy

You mean 'Final Famtasy' right?

I guess Square-Enix's accountants hire the same spellcheckers as Capcom.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

bloodychill posted:

Yuna did a solid for the fayth so they spot her a favor in return. It doesn't seem that complicated.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rand Brittain posted:

Yuna did a solid for the fayth so they spot her a favor in return. It doesn't seem that complicated.

This is how I understood it. I can understand people having some ill feelings towards that ending, but it is pretty simple to understand.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The impression I got from the audio drama was that 10-3 is going to have the same basic plot as 13-2. The previous game only worked out like it did because of some impossible event, and now the natural laws have been broken everything's getting all hosed up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFX-3 ends with Yuna dying to create a new Sin, thus returning the all-important status quo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and then FFX-4 turns out to have been Tales of Symphonia all along.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh good, so we can finally give Tales "Every game is the worst game in the series" and it actually won't be a joke.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

KDdidit posted:

Is there any preferred way to grind up to arena bosses in FFX? Just puts around the Omega Ruins? There's all sorts of end-game AP guides, but I'm not advanced enough to do them yet. Have 4 Celestial Weapons, will get Wakka's sooner or later as I have all the reels, but not sure Ill get Lulu's and Tidus'.

Grind Mimics in Omega Ruins with Rikku's ultimate weapon. Don't bother leaving the save sphere; just get mad cash. Use this to fund four slot equipment and bribes; first bribe Ghosts to customize Auto-Phoenix and eventually Macheas to customize Auto-Haste. Once you have Auto-Phoenix, Comrade/Stoic Overdrive modes, and weapons with Overdrive -> AP (customizable with Door to Tomorrow after unlocking 6 monster arena area bosses), you can start getting free AP by killing yourself repeatedly on Don Tonberry (or Cactuar King if you haven't killed enough mobs yet). Use the AP to activate all the Strength and Agility nodes you can. Then start killing Juggernaut (cheese him with Nul-Blaze) for Strengh Spheres and Fenrir for Agility Spheres.

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 10, 2014

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

TARDISman posted:

I'm actually wondering who the bosses for Tactics tracks are, if they're Wiegraf, Algus/Argath/rear end in a top hat, or one of the Lucavi. (Don't tell me, I love waiting in suspense on this one.)

Since "Ultima, the Nice Body" is a track and they have a tendency to use final bosses, I'd bet Altima is in there. It would be boss if Wiegraf was one of the other enemies, though.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

MarsDragon posted:

Since "Ultima, the Nice Body" is a track and they have a tendency to use final bosses, I'd bet Altima is in there. It would be boss if Wiegraf was one of the other enemies, though.

Did any of the original Theatrhythm bosses have multiple forms? I'd love to see Delacroix transform into Cuchulainn after enough damage or time elapsed, or Wiegraf into Belias. Better yet stack them back-to-back and blend Trisection/Antipyretic into Ultima.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MarsDragon posted:

Gafgarion would also pretty sweet. Tactics has such a great cast of antagonists, I can't even start. :allears:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Zero Star posted:

What's everyone's preferred Creature Creator lineup for X-2?

I've been using a Stalwart with Alchemist and the Unerring Path garment grid equipped. Alchemist grants an infinite supply of Mega-Potions for your fiends to use, and Unerring Path is a major stat boost.

You can capture monsters in Ch. 1 that will plow through the regular game

Chocobo - auto-haste, fast atk animation
Tonberry - great stats, all ailment defense
Goon - elixir, fast atk animation
Flak Python - full auto, all ailment defense
Any element - 1 MP cost, Ribbon

Any of those 3 will be enough to 100% the game if you raise them right. At endgame, every creature can have max stats and learn almost every ability so atk/movement animation speed and unique abilities like flak python's full auto or mushroom cloud's pernicious powder will be the differentiators

KDdidit posted:

Step 1: savescum for a no encounters weapon from geosageneo
Step 2: get enough gil to bribe ultima weapon use this
Step 3: Run straight through omega ruins and steal doors to tomorrow from ultima, then bribe him (only because you're probably not strong enough to kill him)

Stealing from ulitma lets you customize overdrive -> AP which is basically all you need to complete the boy grids and get powerful enough to grind one-eye for triple AP weapons and start don tonberry levelling.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

TARDISman posted:

Gafgarion would also pretty sweet. Tactics has such a great cast of antagonists, I can't even start. :allears:

That would be awesome :allears: I just outright want more FFT representation in the game. A fast-paced piece like Unavoidable Battle, Tension 1, or Apoplexy would be so perfect for a more intense, difficult track. Clash on the Big Bridge fits that role pretty well, but there needs to be even more.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
FFT had the most bizarre music track names though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuFTYOUBpGw

Well okay, Shadow Hearts still has it beat. Can't compete with the old classics like "Coffee With Bullet", "Callback from Jesus", "But-Dad-Dead-Bed" and "Sicking loving".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Coffee with Bullet is a loving awesome name, actually.