Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Hakarne posted:

I'm a left-leaning individual and I find these threads to be a valuable resource for political news, as well as for presenting fact-based arguments that convincingly advocate for progressive solutions. I would recommend these threads to anyone looking for an objective view on the state of politics in the U.S.

However, these last two pages with the creepy murder and conspiracy fantasies makes everyone look like a bunch of unhinged loving loons. Yeah, we should lament the system that allowed bankers to get away with everything and yeah the Supreme Court made a controversial and very-arguably bullshit call with Bush v. Gore. But this freep-laced tinfoil hat bullshit does far more to undermine all the progressive positions advocated in this thread than any right-wing hack could hope to accomplish. The fact that more people haven't called out the crazy makes it even more disturbing.

Oh hey guys we just crashed the world economy and destroyed the savings that we told you were totally safe in your 401Ks and then placed the blame squarely on poor people for getting loans from us that we knew they couldn't afford, and then we sold those loans as securities that we also assured everyone were totally secure even though we knew it was bullshit, but why would anyone feel violent towards us? Just because some people killed themselves, had their lives ruined, or got divorced because of our actions you think we're somehow guilty? Technically what we did wasn't a crime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
No, see, it's totally different because they are the Good Guys who only vote for the Good Team. You just aren't as Good as them, ergo you are now 1000000% Bad. My unevolved lizard brain cannot comprehend things like decency.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BUSH 2112 posted:

Oh hey guys we just crashed the world economy and destroyed the savings that we told you were totally safe in your 401Ks and then placed the blame squarely on poor people for getting loans from us that we knew they couldn't afford, and then we sold those loans as securities that we also assured everyone were totally secure even though we knew it was bullshit, but why would anyone feel violent towards us? Just because some people killed themselves, had their lives ruined, or got divorced because of our actions you think we're somehow guilty? Technically what we did wasn't a crime!

I guess the question is "is anyone ITT actually someone who suffered significantly or are we just all circle jerking about the revolution".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

I guess the question is "is anyone ITT actually someone who suffered significantly or are we just all circle jerking about the revolution".

The sheer leftism of D&D and the number of threads we have devoted to helping people get jobs and manage their finances and you're doubting that there are people here who have been personally affected by the recession???

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ShadowCatboy posted:

You guys remember that Onion article about the dude being super passionate about his historically inaccurate understanding of the Constitution? Well once again comedy mirrors reality as Cliven Bundy gives terrible, terrible lectures on YouTube.

quote:

Bundy, the Mormon father of 14 who fought for the right to graze his cattle on taxpayer land without paying his fees, has become a straight-up George Washington for gun-toting liberty lovers and freepers nationwide, and now he's using his bully pulpit to offer them history lessons on America.

You won't find the recorded lessons on his YouTube page; you need a special link to access each one, which Bundy provides if you sign up for his corporate-style email list. Fortunately, the videos are still pretty easy to find online if you do some basic poking; I've embedded them, with transcribed highlights, below.

What's the basis of these history lessons? A lot of hilariously incorrect bullshit. To wit, Bundy explains the following:

*How America started with some pilgrims in a sailboat who thought the world—or "the ocean," in Bundy's parlance—was flat and had edges you could fall off.
*How the 13 colonies waged the American Revolution against "Europe," which had the largest army ever.
*How the Constitution is divinely inspired and useless without the Ten Commandments.
*How fans of vigorous federalism like Washington, Madison and Hamilton "didn't want a big central government, we didn't want a big state government, we was even leery about having even a local government."
*How the founding fathers set up the three branches of U.S. government, including the "adjudical" or "judical."

Honestly seeing this immediately brought to mind that fat idiot Trimalchio from the Satyricon and how he similarly misquotes history. Yes, I am a Roman history nerd.

Oh my. Please, please keep talking all the way to November. I actually hope that the Dems just try and keep him in the news to sabotage the GOP. Motherfuckers deserve to wallow in their own filth.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

computer parts posted:

I doubt that there are many Americans in this thread who didn't have their lives significantly affected by what happened. And it's the whole system. Those bankers are the ones who bankroll the companies that bankroll the politicians that pass lovely policies that hurt people. I'd prefer that there was never political violence, but I'll be honest: I'd be okay with 100 rich people being murdered to save the life of one laborer. Because they're loving parasites.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

No, see, it's totally different because they are the Good Guys who only vote for the Good Team. You just aren't as Good as them, ergo you are now 1000000% Bad. My unevolved lizard brain cannot comprehend things like decency.

Maybe its about time we declare that people with such lizard brains are not exactly human.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gradenko_2000 posted:

The sheer leftism of D&D and the number of threads we have devoted to helping people get jobs and manage their finances and you're doubting that there are people here who have been personally affected by the recession???

Do we have these in D&D? I thought those were primarily in BFC.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

BUSH 2112 posted:

I doubt that there are many Americans in this thread who didn't have their lives significantly affected by what happened. And it's the whole system. Those bankers are the ones who bankroll the companies that bankroll the politicians that pass lovely policies that hurt people. I'd prefer that there was never political violence, but I'll be honest: I'd be okay with 100 rich people being murdered to save the life of one laborer. Because they're loving parasites.

Luckily, you've used the vaguest terms possible for absurdly huge swaths of people in complicated sectors, so you can point to the worst of the worst for someone you don't like, and the most innocent and cool and good person for the group you do like

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I have to admit I do become more sympathetic to Robespierre as we get further and further from 2008 without many consequences to anyone with a net worth over a million USD.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Buffer posted:

I have to admit I do become more sympathetic to Robespierre as we get further and further from 2008 without many consequences to anyone with a net worth over a million USD.

That's an awfully arbitrary number. Why should there be consequences to someone with that net worth?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voting#Documented_problems

Sorry, I was misremembering it...maybe.

quote:

• Problems in the United States general elections, 2006:
    • During early voting in Miami, Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale, Florida in October 2006 three votes intended to be recorded for Democratic candidates were displaying as cast for Republican. Election officials attributed it to calibration errors in the touch screen of the voting system.[56]

• In Pennsylvania, a computer programming error forced some to cast paper ballots. In Indiana, 175 precincts also resorted to paper. Counties in those states also extended poll hours to make up for delays.[57]

• Cuyahoga County, Ohio: The Diebold computer server froze and stopped counting votes then the printers jammed so paper copies could not be retrieved for many votes and there was no way to be sure of the accuracy of the votes when the votes were being counted.[58]

• Waldenburg, Arkansas: The touch screen computer tallied zero votes for one mayoral candidate who confirmed that he certainly voted for himself and therefore there would be a minimum of one vote, this is a case of disappearing votes on touchscreen machines.[57]

• Sarasota, Florida: There was an 18,000 person "undervote" in a congressional election.[57] The subsequent investigation[59] found that the undervote was not caused by software error. Poor ballot design was widely acknowledged as the cause of the undervote.
  • Instances of faulty technology and security issues surrounding these machines were documented on August 1, 2001 in the Brennan Center at New York University Law School. NY University Law School released a report with more than 60 examples of e-voting machine failures in 26 states in 2004 and 2006. Examples included Spanish language ballots that were cast by voters but not counted in Sacramento in 2004.[citation needed]

quote:

2008 United States Elections:
  • Virginia, Tennessee, and Texas: Touch screen voting machines flipped votes in early voting trials.[62]
  • Humboldt County, California: A security flaw erased 197 votes from the computer database.[63]

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

computer parts posted:

Hi. I had to sleep on my friend's couch for four months because of the 2008 crash. Go gently caress yourself.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Buffer posted:

So anyone who made regular IRA contributions?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Hi. I had to sleep on my friend's couch for four months because of the 2008 crash. Go gently caress yourself.

Do you wish death upon people in the finance sector?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Stultus Maximus posted:

So anyone who made regular IRA contributions?

Your IRA is over a million bucks?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

tbp posted:

Do you wish death upon people in the finance sector?

I sure as poo poo did at the time.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

tbp posted:

That's an awfully arbitrary number. Why should there be consequences to someone with that net worth?

Good point, let's change the bar to tbp's net worth -$1.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tbp posted:

Because a pithy phrase like "eat the rich" doesn't necessitate an actual figure. Come on dude, don't be a pedant

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Good point, let's change the bar to tbp's net worth -$1.

What makes you assume that? And regardless, how would my person net worth factor into my previous post?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
There's a certain amount of bald-faced fuckery in every presidential election. Claims of election stealing in Ohio basically amount to claiming the margin of victory was within the error bars. It's not that out there.

By the way, Hacking Democracy (2007) is an award winning HBO investigative journalism piece into how ludicrously insecure electronic voting machines are. It seems to have hit the 'free documentary' circuit so you can find it pretty easy.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Necc0 posted:

I sure as poo poo did at the time.

Interesting. Did you do anything in the time since regarding financial regulations, legislation, etc?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Maybe its about time we declare that people with such lizard brains are not exactly human.

As much as they don't act like it, goons are humans too.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Buffer posted:

No, but I also haven't been working and contributing for 30 years.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Buffer posted:

If you make regular, even relatively small, contributions from an early age, by the time you retire your IRA can easily be 1m or north of that. It only requires a small amount of discipline re: saving, but that's the magic of compound interest.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Will Black put thousands (no exaggeration) of bankers behind bars in the 80's and early 90's for the poo poo they pulled off during the S&L Crisis which was by all accounts (from Black) and documentation was less obvious and gregarious than what the what the current pack of bankers have gotten away with during the Global Credit Crisis.

Black has been long retired out of actively regulating banks but is an active professor and has serious academic chops and will, and has, told anyone (including Congress, who pretty much just smiled and ignored him) who will listen in great detail just how hosed up and bullshit this whole situation was and still is for years now.

Appeal to authority is a fallacy and all but the guy is if not a living real life messiah when it comes to stopping and prosecuting white collar financial fraud then he would be considered the next best thing to it and will hopefully change your mind on this subject.
Holy poo poo, reading this and a bunch of the related articles is simultaneously awesome and terrifying. What the hell is wrong with everything. :smith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ravenfood posted:

I would love a source on this. Not being facetious, I really would.

AP article: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6418513/ns/politics-voting_problems/t/machine-glitch-gave-bush-extra-ohio-votes/

quote:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — An error with an electronic voting system gave President Bush 3,893 extra votes in suburban Columbus, elections officials said.

Franklin County’s unofficial results had Bush receiving 4,258 votes to Democrat John Kerry’s 260 votes in a precinct in Gahanna. Records show only 638 voters cast ballots in that precinct. Bush’s total should have been recorded as 365.

Bush didn't steal Ohio or anything, but there was definitely some fuckery going on.

E: to expand a bit more, I was being facetious and piling on the false equivalency that birthers are the exact same as people who say that the 2000 and 2004 elections had some Messed Up poo poo. The primary difference is that one is based within reality and the other is not.

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 9, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

theshim posted:

Holy poo poo, reading this and a bunch of the related articles is simultaneously awesome and terrifying. What the hell is wrong with everything. :smith:

See the thread title

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

tbp posted:

If you make regular, even relatively small, contributions from an early age, by the time you retire your IRA can easily be 1m or north of that. It only requires a small amount of discipline re: saving, but that's the magic of compound interest.

absolutely, everyone should be saving for retirement as soon as you start working. Even 25 bucks a week at 5 percent interest can make a huge difference in 40 years. ($165,930.94)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Fried Chicken posted:

See the thread title
Emphasis on everything indeed :ohdear:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

tbp posted:

Interesting. Did you do anything in the time since regarding financial regulations, legislation, etc?

I sure do hope you're not trying to lay the blame for the lack of consequences the rich who perpetrated the crash endured, on the working man who lost their livelyhood. Because that is sure where it seems you are going with this.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

"Do anything?" Who the gently caress do you think we are, Tim Geithner?

e: Tim Geithner's anguished though

quote:

“Our job was to fix it, not to make people like us.” Later, though, he softened and qualified the statement. :qq: “I’m human, and I like to be liked,” :qq: he said, “even if I didn’t expect to be liked in this.”

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 9, 2014

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Talmonis posted:

I sure do hope you're not trying to lay the blame for the lack of consequences the rich who perpetrated the crash endured, on the working man who lost their livelyhood. Because that is sure where it seems you are going with this.

No blame - I'm more curious if feeling the effects of the recession manifests itself as latent ill-will toward a relatively vague group ("the bankers") or if it spurs action. All the OWS stuff was interesting to me both in terms of what it did accomplish and what it didn't. I'm also very interested in the people that both felt the effect of the recession harshly but still were against the OWS movement on seemingly superficial grounds ("They're hippies!"). That's a very curious sort of cognitive dissonance to me.

Personally I would put the fault for all the actions with the government a lot moreso than the financial institutions. You can expect a private individual to act within the confines given to them and push the limits as much as possible - when they cross that line I think the punishment should come from the people designated to dole it out. Granted, I don't hold any murderous anger toward either set of individuals (I see that as hypocrisy to be honest), but were I to assign blame it would overwhelmingly be on the administration I suppose.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

tbp posted:

Kinda curious what you expect him to have done. We just had a study released in regards to this exact thing, i.e. if you aren't part of the oligopoly you don't mean poo poo and can't regulate/legislate anything. If he was on someone's couch for awhile because of the 2008 crisis he's most likely not a 1%-er, and if he's not what can he be expected to do with regards to financial regulations or legislation?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Cimber posted:

absolutely, everyone should be saving for retirement as soon as you start working. Even 25 bucks a week at 5 percent interest can make a huge difference in 40 years. ($165,930.94)

I think the problem is that wages are the same, but costs keep rising. Investing looks more and more like a scam; with rolling crashes that destroy these retirement dreams.

Compound interest is the force crushing the have-nots right now, so I don't see how it can help without arbitrary rules.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

theshim posted:

Emphasis on everything indeed :ohdear:

Maybe President Sanders will coax him out of retirement.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Femur posted:

I think the problem is that wages are the same, but costs keep rising. Investing looks more and more like a scam; with rolling crashes that destroy these retirement dreams.

Compound interest is the force crushing the have-nots right now, so I don't see how it can help without arbitrary rules.

as long as your ROR is greater than changes in the CPI, you are fine.

Typically CPI changes are about 1.5 - 3 percent growth annually, so even a 5 percent ROR will leave you in the black.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

No blame - I'm more curious if feeling the effects of the recession manifests itself as latent ill-will toward a relatively vague group ("the bankers")

It's not a vague group, it's just a bigger group than makes you comfortable.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

tbp posted:

No blame - I'm more curious if feeling the effects of the recession manifests itself as latent ill-will toward a relatively vague group ("the bankers") or if it spurs action. All the OWS stuff was interesting to me both in terms of what it did accomplish and what it didn't. I'm also very interested in the people that both felt the effect of the recession harshly but still were against the OWS movement on seemingly superficial grounds ("They're hippies!"). That's a very curious sort of cognitive dissonance to me.

Personally I would put the fault for all the actions with the government a lot moreso than the financial institutions. You can expect a private individual to act within the confines given to them and push the limits as much as possible - when they cross that line I think the punishment should come from the people designated to dole it out. Granted, I don't hold any murderous anger toward either set of individuals (I see that as hypocrisy to be honest), but were I to assign blame it would overwhelmingly be on the administration I suppose.

I did go to a few of my city's OWS protests but it was quickly apparent that not only were they not going to accomplish anything but they were incapable of it as well. I was mostly concerned with getting my life back on track but I did participate in local primaries + contributed to civil discourse. Not like that accomplished anything either.

I should note that if it WERE apparent that OWS WAS capable of actually getting its poo poo in order and accomplishing things, I would have been willing to contribute a bunch of time & effort to the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

SedanChair posted:

It's not a vague group, it's just a bigger group than makes you comfortable.

I don't think you know what people who work at banks do.

• Locked thread