Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like what your team did in the draft?
This poll is closed.
Yes! 216 60.34%
No 20 5.59%
lol 65 18.16%
gently caress 38 10.61%
I'm a Skins fan, is something going on right now? 19 5.31%
Total: 358 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
It's the next day and I still can't believe Bortles got picked over Johnny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I really don't like drafting interior linemen that high in the first. I'm sure Martin will be fine, but guard is the easiest position to find in the middle rounds, so it seems like a dumb use of resources on a team with so many more pressing needs. Would have much rather gone with Pyror or Clinton-Dix. Safety has thinned out in a big way now so that's probably another season without finding the answer there. Hopefully they can grab a DE next round.

I also would have accepted Manziel because Johnny loving Football Forever.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If Manziel busts hard this year at least the Browns will have two high 1st round picks to draft a QB in next year's draft to try again because you know the Bills are going to suck.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Eric Ebron's a good pick and the Bears and Packers will manage to screw up Fuller and Clinton-Dix. Think the Vikings are doing things right, though.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm not particularly high on Manziel, but when your GM turns the #4 into the #9 and a future Bills 1st, you trust him.

Plus in the worst case that Manziel busts it's going to be a spectacular failure instead of incredibly boring like Weeden's non-flag failures.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Tonight will be the beginning of Tom Savage's Ryan Nassib fall. There's no way someone takes that guy.

Dear God Bengals do not take that guy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Great White Hope posted:

I'm not particularly high on Manziel, but when your GM turns the #4 into the #9 and a future Bills 1st, you trust him.

Plus in the worst case that Manziel busts it's going to be a spectacular failure instead of incredibly boring like Weeden's non-flag failures.

I would MUCH rather have Watkins and Bridgewater than the Bills 2015 pick and Manziel.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I would MUCH rather have Watkins and Bridgewater than the Bills 2015 pick and Manziel.

Well yeah, if the Browns had traded the 4 and 26 for the 22 and a future first that'd have been terrible.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm a little bit jealous of Browns fans. Not only do they get to watch Manziel every Sunday, and let me tell you, the guy is a treat to see play, but they also get to go to the stadium wearing jerseys that say "FOOTBALL" on the back.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The 'Skins front office is insane if they think they'll get a 2nd for Cousins. Maybe a 3rd if some team is desperate, but I don't think there are any desperate teams left.

A.o.D. posted:

I'm a little bit jealous of Browns fans. Not only do they get to watch Manziel every Sunday, and let me tell you, the guy is a treat to see play, but they also get to go to the stadium wearing jerseys that say "FOOTBALL" on the back.

Packers fans can wear jerseys that say Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. They win.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
After sleeping on it, I feel like the kid who was waiting for months for Christmas morning, having it finally come, watching your brothers and sisters open up cool and exciting toys, ripping off the wrapping paper when it's finally your turn to open gifts, you open the box and find.............clothes. :what:

No doubt the clothes are something you absolutely need because your current wardrobe is tattered and moth bitten and will get a lot more use out of than those flashy toys over the years, but the practicality of it just leaves you slightly frustrated.

Who are the edge rushers and safeties left that I should know about?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I mean, they also got Justin Gilbert...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Everybody in Philadelphia hates their pick, it is like Christmas in May.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

After sleeping on it, I feel like the kid who was waiting for months for Christmas morning, having it finally come, watching your brothers and sisters open up cool and exciting toys, ripping off the wrapping paper when it's finally your turn to open gifts, you open the box and find.............clothes. :what:

No doubt the clothes are something you absolutely need because your current wardrobe is tattered and moth bitten and will get a lot more use out of than those flashy toys over the years, but the practicality of it just leaves you slightly frustrated.

Who are the edge rushers and safeties left that I should know about?

Attaochu will probably be there for the Birds, and it would be a drat fine pick. I'm pretty sure every safety worth a drat is gone, there was a ridiculous run on Safeties in the 20's.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://pro32.ap.org/article/jaguars-take-qb-bortles-3rd-pick-nfl-draft

The Jags currently don't intend to start Bortles this season.

How does this pick keep getting funnier

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Burger Trench posted:

I mean, they also got Justin Gilbert...

Let me rephrase. I would rather have Watkins and Bridgewater than Manziel, Gilbert and the Bill's 2015 pick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sweeney Tom posted:

Either Henne will get injured or be bad enough that they put in Bortles by November.

Remember, they said the same with Gabbert, ending with sticking him behind the worst McCown for all of two games.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

Attaochu will probably be there for the Birds, and it would be a drat fine pick. I'm pretty sure every safety worth a drat is gone, there was a ridiculous run on Safeties in the 20's.

I'm officially over my limit on college players, I will have to look him up. I've heard the name, I just don't know how good Attaochu is.

TD is saying he is fielding calls for their 2nd round pick, maybe we can trade back and stockpile some picks.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sweeney Tom posted:

He will be the starter by halftime of week 1.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Militree posted:

I have also been hearing Ravens wanted Shazier a lot, as well, and had to settle for Mosley. I love our pick even more.

Unless. Eric DeCosta is a liar this isn't true. The ravens are on record saying that Mosely was the highest guy on their board by the 10th pick.

I've calmed down a bit since last night but this guy really needs to be amazing because we even had trades offered to us which I'm pretty sure means we could of had Ward yesterday and two picks in the second today. That would be a much better world.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Bigass Moth posted:

If Manziel busts hard this year at least the Browns will have two high 1st round picks to draft a QB in next year's draft to try again because you know the Bills are going to suck.

I hope his head doesn't bust as hard as McCoy.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Bigass Moth posted:

He will be the starter by halftime of week 1.

As long as Bortles starts by week 7 when CLE comes to town :getin:

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
I wanna see a whole lot of this and this and this from the Browns since they drafted Justin Gilbert.

Ed: and this.

TheWordOfTheDayIs fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 9, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Intruder posted:

I'm pretty happy the Texans did the right thing and took Clowney

I'm also pretty salty that the Vikings cockblocked them from getting Bridgewater too

e: Kinda pulling for Louis Nix at 33 and then look at Mettenberger in the third
Yeah I'm not wild about Garoppolo or Carr, they're both overrated, and Mett will probably drop because weed guy. poo poo, this could turn out like my Fanspeak draft and we could go Clowney, Nix, and Skov 1-2-3 and then grab Mett at the top of the fourth. Our front seven would be nine deep to compensate for the inevitable season-ending injury someone will suffer in Week 2.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My biggest problem with Miamis pick is it demonstrates hickey had no balls. Dude was offered a trade down around 24 so it's said, and it involved a 3rd rounder. ...and he refused.

Who was gonna take James there? Arizona MAYBE? You drop down the 5 spots and get that pick #90 and laugh because not only do you get your guy but you are picking again Friday on a team that needs line depth - in a deep deep draft for linemen.

He cowered. Our 10th choice for GM looks bad who woulda thought. Maybe he can pull off something today but not expecting much.

I'm a huge fan of farmer. What a first day. A buffalo bills first rounder JFF and the best CB in the draft, who will solidify that freak tandem they now have.

What a day

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Sweeney Tom posted:

The hits keep coming!

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 6m
ESPN's Britt McHenry reported #Jaguars would have drafted Blake Bortles even if Jadeveon Clowney slipped to them at 3.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Praise for the Bortles pick from Jaguars fans was muted but it seems like most of us are beginning the process of talking ourselves into it. On a timeline for him starting, who really knows. The team has emphasized that Henne is the default starter so that whoever comes in doesn't have immediate expectations that come with it. That's different than saying "If you come in and practice and play well, you still wont be the starter." They seem to be at least trying to provide a good environment to develop a QB.

Serious question: How was the reaction to Matt Ryan being picked?

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 9, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Either Henne will get injured or be bad enough that they put in Bortles by November.

Remember, they said the same with Gabbert, ending with sticking him behind the worst McCown for all of two games.

It's going to be hard for them to hold off starting him at some point, but he would benefit so much from a year of NFL coaching before having to take snaps.

Shath Hole posted:

I'm officially over my limit on college players, I will have to look him up. I've heard the name, I just don't know how good Attaochu is.

TD is saying he is fielding calls for their 2nd round pick, maybe we can trade back and stockpile some picks.

He's the current all-time sack leader of the ACC (32 in 4 years).

It's the ACC, but that's still a pretty boss accolade. He played mostly at Sam linebacker with some hybrid DE, so he's tailor made for the current defensive scheme in Atlanta. I want them to trade up a few to make sure they get him. He's on an increasingly short list of 1st round grade pass rushers with some experiencing at LB.

It's pretty drat certain that they won't be drafting a safety at the top of the 2nd.

Dr. Poz posted:

Mixed as hell, it seemed like the fan-base was about to split in half and start re-fighting the civil war.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 9, 2014

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

MourningView posted:

I really don't like drafting interior linemen that high in the first. I'm sure Martin will be fine, but guard is the easiest position to find in the middle rounds, so it seems like a dumb use of resources on a team with so many more pressing needs. Would have much rather gone with Pyror or Clinton-Dix. Safety has thinned out in a big way now so that's probably another season without finding the answer there. Hopefully they can grab a DE next round.

I also would have accepted Manziel because Johnny loving Football Forever.

Dallas Cowboys OL draft picks in the last 10 years:

1st round:
Tyron Smith - T
Travis Frederick - C
Zack Martin - G/T

2nd round:
Jacob Rogers - T

3rd round:
Stephen Peterman - G
James Martin - T
Robert Brewster - T

4th round:
Doug Free - T
David Arkin - G

5th round:

6th round:
Rob Petitti - T
Sam Young - T

7th round:
Pat McQuistan - T
EJ Whitley - C
Bill Nagy - C

I'm not exactly filled with confidence. Since this is a really deep draft for defense, I'm cool with solidifying the OL and having a core of a few great young guys for years to come. Especially since it's now more important than ever to protect the hell out of Romo!

I agree about JFF though, it might've been fun assuming he didn't get destroyed out there

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Harlock posted:

Everybody in Philadelphia hates their pick, it is like Christmas in May.

I hate Eagles fans :smith:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dr. Poz posted:

Pretty boring. Most people thought they'd be going for Glen Dorsey.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dr. Poz posted:

Here it was considered awful, but this subforum turned on 1st round QB's in a major way due to how 2005-2007 1st round QB's went (It's 2008, so Rodgers hadn't done squat yet, so you were staring at garbage-y Alex Smith, Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus and Brady Quinn, with only a promising but not-excellent Jay Cutler).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sweeney Tom posted:

Staaaaaaannnzzziiiiiiiiii

(is probably out of work now :( )

Dr. Poz posted:

People here weren't fans but a lot of it was fatigue. He was the subject of a lot of very annoying narratives in college and it turned a lot of people on him. And lots of people here (including me!) really liked Brian Brohm which: lol. I don't think he's very comparable to Bortles though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Let me rephrase. I would rather have Watkins and Bridgewater than Manziel, Gilbert and the Bill's 2015 pick.

I'd also rather have Clowney Evans and Murray but I will take this. I wonder if we go RB or WR as we have a high second.

I think CB in top 10 is not sound but getting JFF at 22 isn't too bad...I bet he'd still be there later though and you had Bridgewater. Still 2 2015 firsts.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

AAA DOLFAN posted:

My biggest problem with Miamis pick is it demonstrates hickey had no balls. Dude was offered a trade down around 24 so it's said, and it involved a 3rd rounder. ...and he refused.

Who was gonna take James there? Arizona MAYBE? You drop down the 5 spots and get that pick #90 and laugh because not only do you get your guy but you are picking again Friday on a team that needs line depth - in a deep deep draft for linemen.

He cowered. Our 10th choice for GM looks bad who woulda thought. Maybe he can pull off something today but not expecting much.

I'm a huge fan of farmer. What a first day. A buffalo bills first rounder JFF and the best CB in the draft, who will solidify that freak tandem they now have.

What a day

Frankly I think they could have gotten James in the second so not trading back was just stupid. Farmer will look like a genius or an idiot in three years. Gilbert is boom/bust as much as anyone else in the draft and JFF, well it's going to be interesting either way. Can't say anything bad about getting next year's first out of Buffalo. He fleeced the Bills but good.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Kalli posted:

In fairness, when they actually picked Gabbert, they still had Garrard on the roster and the intent was to play one behind the other for at least that whole first season. Then Garrard's back went to poo poo and the lesser McCown was in no way capable of playing a full season at QB without the entire city rioting.

Henne will probably not be cut three days before the season opener, leaving us with Stanzi and Bortles and buckets of tears. The Hennewagon will never be good but as long as Caldwell and Khan hold to their word that they won't be pounding down the door to bench him, they'll at least avoid ruining Bortles by week 3.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Here it was considered awful, but this subforum turned on 1st round QB's in a major way due to how 2005-2007 1st round QB's went (It's 2008, so Rodgers hadn't done squat yet, so you were staring at garbage-y Alex Smith, Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus and Brady Quinn, with only a promising but not-excellent Jay Cutler).

I wanted Dorsey. I remember I was pretty upset when they picked Ryan over Dorsey. The moral of the story is I am an idiot.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I hope they ignore DB completely. They showed last year they don't need any actual real players in the secondary.

Late, but I think the only thing they proved last year was that they could patch together a serviceable secondary. It was impressive for what it was, but still not very good and a definite liability at times. I just don't see it as a longterm solution. I'm fine with the Panthers focusing more on the offense, but would like to see a bone thrown the secondary's way.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 9, 2014

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
Zack Martin fuckin' rules, don't worry Cowboys fans. He could probably play 4/5 positions on the OL and hang around the league for 10 years. Every ND coach raves about him.

But I can understand not being excited about OL that aren't like... amazing LT prospects but I think you'll be very happy with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So why did the Titans take a tackle when they have Roos and just gave a pile of money to Oher?

• Locked thread