Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Why not just give people a ride to their spot?

You guys are just so nasty to strangers over nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When parked in the closest spot at the store, I've had people wait so close behind me I had to honk at them to back up so I could actually leave the space... when literally the next spot is empty. :doh:

I make sure and rev my motor real high a few times, then back out as sloooowly as possible, making sure to stop and check for pedestrians several times along the way.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Fun drive home.

I'm within like 2 minutes of my house. Dude in a Cadillac is riding my rear end, finally gets his chance to pass and floors it past me. Doesn't get very far, cuts me off when he gets to his turn. Cool, I guess. Honk at him, of course, continue on my merry way. I come flying up on a cop's rear end - keep in mind I'm only going 5 over the limit, and he was going way under, but he's in the lane I gotta be in for my turn. I don't really know why he was going slow - the last turn onto the road was the one the Cadillac went down, and that was a solid 700 yards back. But I signal, and a second after I signal, he does too. Weird, I guess, but alright. We turn, and the turn into my neighborhood is right after this turn. So the cop almost cuts me off as soon as I signal and get into the turn lane for that, gets in front of me, turns in front of me, then makes a U-turn out of my neighborhood.

Cops are weird. I guess that's part of the joy of owning a red Honda in a neighborhood full of riceburners.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GramCracker posted:

"Hay guise! I found a spot!" :downs:

Oh hay guise I saw one of those today too!

Owner was saying it took off into the store when she was trying to park. :downsgun: This was taken after she backed it halfway out.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Well at least she didn't hit the nail salon! You know you're gonna need a full manicure after an airbag goes off on you.

fake Edit: Looks like she can even get new glasses and a change of pants at that stripmall too! It's her lucky day. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

xzzy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNA5Yn1MqCQ

Not the reaction I would have had. Blows my mind how people in the top lane just keep driving like it's no big deal.

The guy who comes out of nowhere at the end and drops some kind of orange barrier is the best part. Do people in Russia habitually carry around safety cones?

The person driving the car beside the sinkhole opening up was remarkably polite considering. I'd probably have been pushing that other car out of the way with mine in a panic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SocketSeven posted:

Well at least she didn't hit the nail salon! You know you're gonna need a full manicure after an airbag goes off on you.

fake Edit: Looks like she can even get new glasses and a change of pants at that stripmall too! It's her lucky day. :v:

:ssh: There's a dollar store at the other end of the strip mall... which also has clothing.

Also an AAA office that offers auto insurance. And a police station across the street. :haw:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

xzzy posted:

Well, huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNA5Yn1MqCQ

Not the reaction I would have had. Blows my mind how people in the top lane just keep driving like it's no big deal.

The guy who comes out of nowhere at the end and drops some kind of orange barrier is the best part. Do people in Russia habitually carry around safety cones?

Yea, I'm pretty sure I'd need new pants.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

subx posted:

Yea, I'm pretty sure I'd need new pants.

Apparently the russian term for someone who calmly deals with road emergencies (e.g. sliding his lada around a crashing lorry, not falling into a hole while staying cool) is "concrete anus".

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

Owner was saying it took off into the store

It's a good thing it was a Toyota, otherwise it'd be the driver's fault!

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
I had to deal with morons a-plenty today.

Stopped at a red light- 2 lanes, one for going straight, or making a left turn, and one for right turn only. I'm like fifth in line, light goes green, and the guy 2 cars ahead of me stops to wait for an opening for a left. (I'll digress at this point to say that this light really needs a protected left cycle, but that's neither here nor there.) Just as he's turning, jackass in a pickup truck shoots through the right turn only lane, and jumps the line to go straight. Jackass one, to his credit, floored it through the intersection, and got through with no problem. The issue was jackass two, who tried to do the same thing, but started his move after the left-turning car had cleared the lane, and he had to jam on the brakes to avoid going onto the grass because there was no way to get around me.

Group 'o idiots #2 came on I-81 crossing the PA border into NY. They are doing all sorts of (needed) roadwork on that stretch (The Prospect Mountain/Kamakaze Curve work, for those in the area), and just before the border, they are doing some other work as well, so the left lane is closed for probably a good mile and a half to two miles. The "Left Lane Closed Ahead" signs give you a half mile warning to get over, and it took me probably 15 minutes to travel a mile today, because car after car after car after car could not bear the thought of either a- getting over into the right lane when there was an opening, or b- backing off just a touch to let the left lane in. I saw some moron get out of the right lane into the left lane, which was just as bumper-to-bumper as the right lane, and, oh, by the way, was closing 100 feet ahead of where he was.

Dipshit the third was the guy who did not quite have the wherewithal to pass me, as I was doing 60 in a 55 at 11 at night, but had no problem leaving his high-beams on while he was 4 or 5 lengths behind me, with no good place for me to pull over and let him by.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Kwik posted:

Dipshit the third was the guy who did not quite have the wherewithal to pass me, as I was doing 60 in a 55 at 11 at night, but had no problem leaving his high-beams on while he was 4 or 5 lengths behind me, with no good place for me to pull over and let him by.

Do you have electric mirrors with memory? Save your actual mirror position, then save a "bounces light from badly maladjusted hidzzzz back into captain cockstain's face". You'll need to adjust it for different vehicle types (civic vs. lifted Hilux). Presto.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Had yet another fuckface go left in the roundabout in the shopping center near my house. I'm not at all ashamed to have yelled at the motherfucker through my open window loud enough to hurt my throat after he almost hit me head-on. I made him reverse out of it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A couple of nights ago, pulling into a gated residential area, I see headlights coming at me. Head on. In the far right lane. There's 3 entrance lanes into this area (2 for residents, 1 for guests - resident entry is far right and middle, guest is left). She sat there completely dumbfounded, wondering why the gates wouldn't open... and wondering why there were two lines of cars staring her down and flashing their lights/honking. See, the arms won't open if someone is sitting on the wrong side... even if the guard tries to hit the button to open, they won't open if they sense something big and metal sitting by the gate on the wrong side.

She looked like she was a mix of pissed and confused. The guard finally walked up to her and said a version of "hey idiot, you're trying to exit through the entrance, and btw you passed 3 DO NOT ENTER/ONE WAY signs to get here, with floodlights on one set... which dumps you into a one way road that leads... to this entrance. I've been trying to point you to the exit gate for a few minutes now. THINK YOU COULD GO THROUGH THE CLEARLY MARKED EXIT?!"

(also the guards know me/my car and always tell me to just pull up to the resident entry and wait - it's faster/easier for them [and me] for them to just open the gate when I do that, instead of going through the guest entry... according to the guards anyway)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Fun drive home.

I'm within like 2 minutes of my house. Dude in a Cadillac is riding my rear end, finally gets his chance to pass and floors it past me. Doesn't get very far, cuts me off when he gets to his turn. Cool, I guess. Honk at him, of course, continue on my merry way. I come flying up on a cop's rear end - keep in mind I'm only going 5 over the limit, and he was going way under, but he's in the lane I gotta be in for my turn. I don't really know why he was going slow - the last turn onto the road was the one the Cadillac went down, and that was a solid 700 yards back. But I signal, and a second after I signal, he does too. Weird, I guess, but alright. We turn, and the turn into my neighborhood is right after this turn. So the cop almost cuts me off as soon as I signal and get into the turn lane for that, gets in front of me, turns in front of me, then makes a U-turn out of my neighborhood.

Cops are weird. I guess that's part of the joy of owning a red Honda in a neighborhood full of riceburners.

Sounds like the cop was perhaps running your license plate.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

A couple of nights ago, pulling into a gated residential area, I see headlights coming at me. Head on. In the far right lane. There's 3 entrance lanes into this area (2 for residents, 1 for guests - resident entry is far right and middle, guest is left). She sat there completely dumbfounded, wondering why the gates wouldn't open... and wondering why there were two lines of cars staring her down and flashing their lights/honking. See, the arms won't open if someone is sitting on the wrong side... even if the guard tries to hit the button to open, they won't open if they sense something big and metal sitting by the gate on the wrong side.

She looked like she was a mix of pissed and confused. The guard finally walked up to her and said a version of "hey idiot, you're trying to exit through the entrance, and btw you passed 3 DO NOT ENTER/ONE WAY signs to get here, with floodlights on one set... which dumps you into a one way road that leads... to this entrance. I've been trying to point you to the exit gate for a few minutes now. THINK YOU COULD GO THROUGH THE CLEARLY MARKED EXIT?!"

(also the guards know me/my car and always tell me to just pull up to the resident entry and wait - it's faster/easier for them [and me] for them to just open the gate when I do that, instead of going through the guest entry... according to the guards anyway)

Some loving moron on i495 up here killed one (hopefully themselves) and injured six others by driving the wrong way on the interstate just last night. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/11/multi-car-crash-shuts-495-south-in-plainville-after-wrong-way-driver-report/

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/05/11/injury-reported-four-car-crash/hM26xQMjX5sxDPeFJfPbsM/story.html

http://www.wcvb.com/news/multivehicle-crash-interstate-495-closed/25926486#!MIGGy

Apparently one person was thrown from a vehicle. I'm betting that's the dead person... wear your goddamn seatbelts.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 12, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hinges are hard guys. :smith:

They pulled into a Home Depot a couple blocks later.

edit - hah I only just noticed what they did with the padlocks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kastein posted:

Some loving moron on i495 up here killed one (hopefully themselves) and injured six others by driving the wrong way on the interstate just last night. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/11/multi-car-crash-shuts-495-south-in-plainville-after-wrong-way-driver-report/

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/05/11/injury-reported-four-car-crash/hM26xQMjX5sxDPeFJfPbsM/story.html

http://www.wcvb.com/news/multivehicle-crash-interstate-495-closed/25926486#!MIGGy

Apparently one person was thrown from a vehicle. I'm betting that's the dead person... wear your goddamn seatbelts.

This poo poo happens all the time in New Mexico with all the drunks. I figure I can deal with lots of stuff on the interstate but wrong-way drivers are my biggest fear. The only advice I've heard of is "move to the right" since drunks and the elderly tend to stay on their right side of the road and will correct that way if they see someone coming at them, but what if they're drunk *and* an rear end in a top hat (redundant I guess)?

They really should put spikes on off-ramps, I don't care how much it costs to maintain.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

Hinges are hard guys. :smith:

They pulled into a Home Depot a couple blocks later.

edit - hah I only just noticed what they did with the padlocks.

The padlock thing is so that two people with two different keys can both open the truck. Granted, I think it's easier to copy a key but :geno:

Or they really are too cheap to order a single lock that will loop through both hasps.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

They really should put spikes on off-ramps, I don't care how much it costs to maintain.

So long as you can disable them in emergency situations (contra flow comes to mind), that's a really badass idea.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Uhhh they were thrown free of the steel deathtrap they obviously survived uninjured.

(I got into an argument about this with an old-timer/biker dude last week so this is still fresh in my mind)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Motorcycle riders are way worse than seatbelt people cause a lot of em tried things in the 80s and think that it's still the same now. Helmets, FI, ABS etc. Add on to that the general BS that weekend riders and bar riders spout loudly, and there's a whirlwind of poo poo information out there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I see road rage applies to buses and big trucks too!

(obviously not mine, spotted here)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Here's a dude I shared the road with.

No hitting the profile or post history, guess the state if you don't already know.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

nsaP posted:

No hitting the profile or post history, guess the state if you don't already know.

I wanted to say Ontario, Canada but you said state not province.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nsaP posted:

Texas?

Though I live in the Inland Empire in California (but basically we're western texas) and have seen a DUI: lawn tractor before.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tennessee?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh and it might be tough to see, but he's got a cigarette going and headphones on.

So really I'm just jealous he can smoke a cig.

Sorery about saying 'state' Canadia, I should have said "location" but I thought these types were local to 'merica.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 13, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fine.

Oklahoma then.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd have said southern Illinois/Kentucky but the mower's too nice/not covered in rust.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There are so many places in the US that look just like this.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

revmoo posted:

Yeah, that looks like it could be any rural location. Iowa has a ton of places that look just like that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

Yeah, that looks like it could be any rural location. Iowa has a ton of places that look just like that.

Hell it could even be New Jersey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but given how green that tree is, I'd say it's in "the south" somewhere. Nowhere else is that far along into spring.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah I can think of several dozen roads in my county that look exactly like that, old falling down barn and all.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nm posted:

Texas?

Though I live in the Inland Empire in California (but basically we're western texas) and have seen a DUI: lawn tractor before.

I just assume everything between IE and roughly New York City is 'Texas' to an inhabitant of either.

Unless it's obvious urban decay in which case 'Detroit'

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Judging from the barn, the flatness of the country visible, and the vegetation I'll say upper Midwest somewhere.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you don't live in North Dakota but it would totally fit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I was in Las Vegas over the weekend and I drove in from California for a car meet thingy.

Let me tell you, I could not believe how terrible drivers are in Las Vegas. Its literally comical and makes SoCal drivers look like fighter pilots. I lost count the number of people on their cellphones texting, unable to maintain lane, sitting at lights as they turned green (probably texting), making insane/illegal lane changes, turning left or right from lanes not designated for it, etc.

Apparently all the idiot drivers in the US immigrated to LV.

Also, the cab drivers there are apparently some of the dumbest people/drivers I have ever seen.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

revmoo posted:

'Merica.

It's Kentucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Vegas was the only place I've seen someone dragging a gas stations' pump hose behind their car with my own eyes.