Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

What's the consensus on rondomusic? They've got a baritone Les Paul knockoff for under $150, was thinking about picking it up. At the end of the day if it's terrible it might look good on the wall, right?

Content:

Not so cheap Les Paul knockoff.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I have an AL-2000 by rondo, and I think it is excellent. Flawless finish, good setup, stays in tune well, and plays nicely for a $200 guitar. Also, he ships ridiculously quickly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

unlawfulsoup posted:

I have an AL-2000 by rondo, and I think it is excellent. Flawless finish, good setup, stays in tune well, and plays nicely for a $200 guitar. Also, he ships ridiculously quickly.

Nice, the one in question is made by Douglas:
http://www.rondomusic.com/shadow627tribalgreen1.html

For the most part, the stuff I read about Douglas sounds good, no major complaints from anyone really. Also, $149 for a baritone is about $400 cheaper than anything I could get at Sam Ash or wherever from a reputable brand.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Baritones are cool, the price is right, and Rondo is good value for the $$$...

...but that green faux-flame is hideous

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Absalom Baird posted:

Baritones are cool, the price is right, and Rondo is good value for the $$$...

...but that green faux-flame is hideous

I just wanted to be able to post it here :(

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SaNChEzZ posted:

Nice, the one in question is made by Douglas:
http://www.rondomusic.com/shadow627tribalgreen1.html

For the most part, the stuff I read about Douglas sounds good, no major complaints from anyone really. Also, $149 for a baritone is about $400 cheaper than anything I could get at Sam Ash or wherever from a reputable brand.

I own this exact model and really like it. The neck had some tiny stability concerns out of the box and you'll want to put new strings on it since they ship with standard scale strings. I dunno squat about pickups so they might need to be replaced, but it plays, looks, and feels really great. Totally worth what they're asking for it.

Also, the green looks way nicer in person.

e: hm, thought this was the normal guitar thread

in the spirit of this thread though i do admit a: i wanted the purple one but it stopped being on sale and b: i'm planning to replace the knobs on mine with

these from GFS which is gonna look pretty horriblawesome

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 8, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dewgy posted:

I own this exact model and really like it. The neck had some tiny stability concerns out of the box and you'll want to put new strings on it since they ship with standard scale strings. I dunno squat about pickups so they might need to be replaced, but it plays, looks, and feels really great. Totally worth what they're asking for it.

Also, the green looks way nicer in person.

e: hm, thought this was the normal guitar thread

in the spirit of this thread though i do admit a: i wanted the purple one but it stopped being on sale and b: i'm planning to replace the knobs on mine with

these from GFS which is gonna look pretty horriblawesome

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I did not realize there was a normal guitar thread, or I'd have posted it there!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
douglas/sx are just cheap chinese budget brands rondo music distributes but otherwise has nothing to do with

agile is their actual brand and what people are referring to when they mention them

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
You poors with two hundred dollar axes should record some ... tones.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Mentos Dan posted:

If anyone REALLY wants to gently caress with people, hit me up via PM or whatever, I'll send some samples from other guitars so you can blind A/B them.

That got me my first suspension over on TGP.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mentos Dan posted:

My tones would melt your brainmatter.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

SaNChEzZ posted:

My tones would melt your brainmatter.

After what your mom did to me last night, I'm pretty sure there's not a lot left to fry in my brainmatter.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mentos Dan posted:

After what your mom did to me last night, I'm pretty sure there's not a lot left to fry in my brainmatter.

:iceburn:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mentos Dan posted:

i've been debating it but i kind of want to wait until my panda guitar has a dual rail humbucker before i record it

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Dewgy posted:

i've been debating it but i kind of want to wait until my panda guitar has a dual rail humbucker before i record it

Hey listen, I wanted to wait until your mom was off her period before I hosed her, but ya know ... life and lemons.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mentos Dan posted:

Hey listen, I wanted to wait until your mom was off her period before I hosed her, but ya know ... life and lemons.

:drat:

e: i'll get on this as soon as i restring everything that needs it tho, i have a lot of weird guitars

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 8, 2014

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

BUSH 2112 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuqxVo2XLyI

Zach Hill is loving crazy. He's also a goddamn genius and the best drummer that I've ever heard. If I was a woman, I'd try to capture his seeeeeeed. Watch the video all the way to the end. It rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4kVOJfZg_E

This is from his first solo album. Probably my favorite song, like, of any song. The rest of the stuff on the album is much more mathy, especially the song "Toll Road", which is really strange and catchy at the same time.

[edit] That song "Trust" that Megadeth put out in the 90's wasn't total poo poo, iirc the album was pretty okay too.

Don't forget to pay attention to his drummer Dave Witte, who used to be in Discordance Axis. I used to see a lot of videos of them on stage together. They complement each other nicely.
Aw man I see Dave Witte is not on the solo album.

crikster fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 8, 2014

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
I had no idea that he did any solo shows, I'll have to keep the old peepers peeled.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lol dave witte's main gig is municipal waste i.e. the musical equivalent of civil war reenactments

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
Municipal Waste is for Suicidal Tendencies fans.
Civil War reenactments are a good way to make money if you're in the band.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Witte's drumming is probably best on his Human Remains EPs, which are some of the most ridic awesome grindcore ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv6XHdtf9vg

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Fun fact about Zach Hill, he drums for infamous scary rap band Death Grips. Who are awesome. Unfortunately I have never seen them even though I bought a ticket to see them a couple years ago, and then that show was cancelled and rescheduled a year later, and then they cancelled that too, so I don't think I'll ever seen them

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Mentos Dan posted:

Us poors with cheap guitars like to fix them up and put better electronics in them so they don't suck.

I have an Agile AL-2000 that I put some GFS Crunchy Pats in for my more modern/high gain sounds, I could record how nice it sounds.

My other guitars (MIM Tele, Squier Jazzmaster) also sound pretty good once I got my hands on them to set them up and tweak the electronics.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

booshi posted:

Us poors with cheap guitars like to fix them up and put better electronics in them so they don't suck.

I have an Agile AL-2000 that I put some GFS Crunchy Pats in for my more modern/high gain sounds, I could record how nice it sounds.

My other guitars (MIM Tele, Squier Jazzmaster) also sound pretty good once I got my hands on them to set them up and tweak the electronics.

cheap guitars own because you can gut them and make them amazing plus you don't give a gently caress if they get dinged or scratched

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

their lil poopers posted:

cheap guitars own because you can gut them and make them amazing plus you don't give a gently caress if they get dinged or scratched

I intentionally ding every single instrument I get so that I don't have to worry about it staying "perfect"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

booshi posted:

I intentionally ding every single instrument I get so that I don't have to worry about it staying "perfect"

it also shows that you've played your instruments instead of hanging them up and never touching them

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i get all my expensive guitars predinged

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

muike posted:

i get all my expensive guitars predinged

Excuse me, I believe you mean "reliced."

:crossarms:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
is relicing the same thing as buying stuff from smokers and having your fretboard smell like cigarette smoke ~8 years later

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

muike posted:

is relicing the same thing as buying stuff from smokers and having your fretboard smell like cigarette smoke ~8 years later

I bet the tar really seals the fretboard nicely though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The smell was gone for like 5 years, then the other day, I just smelled it again and realized it was time to clean the fretboard. It's better than one of my others, which the previous owner had put a vine of life inlay sticker all down the fretboard on. on moonlit nights, you can still see the ghost...

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

I smoke but I wash my drat hands before I play and don't smoke inside. Not enough people wash their drat hands before playing then their fretboards are gross.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
1.) Relicing guitars is for poser bozos.
2.) If you are not a klutz you do not need to 'pre-ding' your guitar, because you will not ding it to begin with.
3.) It takes like 30 seconds to wash your hands before playing, and 10 to wipe the guitar afterwards, not sure why so many shitheels cannot manage that.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

unlawfulsoup posted:

2.) If you are not a klutz you do not need to 'pre-ding' your guitar, because you will not ding it to begin with.
3.) It takes like 30 seconds to wash your hands before playing, and 10 to wipe the guitar afterwards, not sure why so many shitheels cannot manage that.

Yes however I am a klutz and always end up dinging up my expensive stuff so I always just put a little nick in anything I get new (not just guitars) so then I'm not worrying about keeping it pristine.

I prefer my guitars with battlescars.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

booshi posted:

I smoke but I wash my drat hands before I play and don't smoke inside. Not enough people wash their drat hands before playing then their fretboards are gross.

it's me, i'm the guy whose first thing they do in a guitar store is go into the bathroom and wash my hands

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

booshi posted:

Cheap guitars have great tones if they are made in the 60s. All my guitars cost less than $150 off ebay. MIJ, Sears catalog specials. The electronics get very microphonic in 50 years+. All the cool early 90s college rock bands are seen with cheap Japanese guitars. I get some very legitimate surf tones from my Kays and Teistos.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

unlawfulsoup posted:

i didn't ding my guitars up (much), they just came that way from the dudes i bought them from

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

their lil poopers posted:

it's me, i'm the guy whose first thing they do in a guitar store is go into the bathroom and wash my hands

I cancel you out, I'm the guy that takes guitars into the bathroom with me to play while I poop.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

unlawfulsoup posted:

congrats on not getting hyperbole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HollisBrown posted:

I cancel you out, I'm the guy that takes guitars into the bathroom with me to play while I poop.

my friends little brother would do this and it was kinda weird but an effective way to make sure his brothers didn't touch his guitar

• Locked thread