Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Constantine's premise does sound like a decent comic story. But it also sounds like Supernatural with a dash of Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Madkal posted:

Starling City in Arrow is pretty much like Gotham City in the Batman comics. It pretty much gets destroyed every year.
Last night's episode was pretty awesome though, and it did give a few great character moments (specifically between Felicity and Oliver). Also Merlyn is back and that was fun to see. He also had the best line of the night in regards to being out of arrows.

False. The best line of the night was Felicity. "Why didn't the airbags go off?"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

jscolon2.0 posted:

False. The best line of the night was Felicity. "Why didn't the airbags go off?"

Alright. I will concede to that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Agents of SHIELD renewed for S2, Agent Carter ordered to series. Hopefully, the reports about the latter airing during an extended SHIELD midseason hiatus are true.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Holy poo poo, I had fully expected Agent Carter to be stuck in backburner hell forever. Props to ABC and Marvel for not playing around and going full tilt with their properties.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Agent Carter will be kind of weird since we know the heroes ultimately fail and not even know it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Holy poo poo, I had fully expected Agent Carter to be stuck in backburner hell forever. Props to ABC and Marvel for not playing around and going full tilt with their properties.

Fuckin' everyone is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

muscles like this? posted:

Agent Carter will be kind of weird since we know the heroes ultimately fail and not even know it.

If they stop a bunch of other people from blowing up the world then it's not really failing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe they'll work Sharon into it somehow so she's not just some weird loose thread

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BrianWilly posted:

Hell, they're even finally doing the Jessica Jones show. That poo poo's been on the back burner since like Iron Man 2. It was rough to watch Marvel getting their TV sea legs with Agents of SHIELD but it like you say, it seems like now they're going full-loving-tilt.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

So next year so far is bringing

Daredevil
Jessica Jones
The Flash
Agents of SHIELD s2
Arrow s3
iZombie
Constantine
Gotham
Agent Carter
Maybe Hourman
Maybe Preacher
Maybe Scalped
Maybe Pax Romana

And probably a chunk more unannounced :stare:

I would hope that the good part will be that unlike Agents of SHIELD that with so many different comic book properties around shows won't be able to coast or survive on just being "comic book shows".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't even know what they're going to do with Agent Carter. Like, what's the hook there? It just sounds like more prequel poo poo in an era that was already depicted as being supremely uninteresting in the films.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I feel reasonably confident that someone at some point said about "Agent Carter," by way of a pitch, "Like 'Mad Men,' but they're spies."

I'm crossing my fingers for some Agents of ATLAS action.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I thought Jessica Jones was in 4 years, just before they do the Defenders series

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Agent Carter is just going to be Agents of SHIELD but old timey. I look forward to the discussions of "it's called Agent Carter, not "Agent Carter and the Invaders".

StumblyWumbly posted:

I thought Jessica Jones was in 4 years, just before they do the Defenders series

Not according to the original press release.

quote:

Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel's "The Defenders" mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

source

Daredevil is confirmed for next year. I'd presume they'd do two a year given that stretching it out to 5 years seems a bit long.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There was a Marvel One Shot on the...Blu Ray of the first Cap movie that shows what Carter is up to after the movie. She gets put on some desk jockey job in what I assume to be the FBI or CIA or something like that. By the end of the film short, Howard Stark calls her up and asks if she'd like to help him form SHIELD.

I'd really like to see more of the Howard Stark from the Cap movie. He was great.

So I'm guessing this is basically going to be the early days of SHIELD.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'd really like to see more of the Howard Stark from the Cap movie. He was great.

So I'm guessing this is basically going to be the early days of SHIELD.
A show where everybody is using laser cigarettes and joy-buzzer EMPs? Yes please.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

A show where everybody is using laser cigarettes and joy-buzzer EMPs? Yes please.

Peggy's SHIELD communicator is in her shoe. The stiletto heel is the antenna.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Get SHIELD?

...I'd watch it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Daredevil is confirmed for next year. I'd presume they'd do two a year given that stretching it out to 5 years seems a bit long.

They still haven't cast DD and they are supposed to start shooting in two months. I guess they are going to have to do a lot of stunt double work instead of training the actor to do blind ninja poo poo.

The showrunner of Gotham says some dumb things.

quote:

I don’t think Batman works very well on TV — to have people behind masks. Frankly, all those superhero stories I’ve seen, I always love them until they get into the costume. And then it’s, “Oh, okay, they’ve ascended, they’ve stopped becoming humans.” It’s their apotheosis. They go to heaven and they’re Superman. There have been so many great versions of it. This is a version of something else entirely.

I believe this was the primary philosophy of Smallville. Also, watch Arrow bro.

Also from that interview: they are doing the Joker because of course they are and the kid that plays Bruce Wayne is the best actor to play Bruce Wayne ever!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Also from that interview: they are doing the Joker because of course they are and the kid that plays Bruce Wayne is the best actor to play Bruce Wayne ever!

GODDAMNIT.

DC/WB needs to hire someone whose job it is to punch people when they pull poo poo like this.

"Well, we think bringing the Joker in would reall-" *THUNK* "No."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

they are doing the Joker
Like, teen Joker?

It's turning into Gotham High, but now it's live action!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

GODDAMNIT.

DC/WB needs to hire someone whose job it is to punch people when they pull poo poo like this.

"Well, we think bringing the Joker in would reall-" *THUNK* "No."

In the interview the guy was like "you know some people wonder if a Joker character would be overshadowed by Ledger's iconic performance" and his response was "well bro I wrote lines for Cleopatra and Marc Antony so it'll be fine".

redbackground posted:

Like, teen Joker?

It's turning into Gotham High, but now it's live action!

It'll be a Jack Napier deal I bet.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The more I think about it, the only way for Gotham to be compelling would be for absolutely everything to work - plot, performances, cinematography - and that just seems unlikely. I'm sure Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue will give good performances, and the show at least looks pretty from the trailer, but it's going to be a tall order getting the audience to care about pre-villains and original characters. And yeah, Arrow is proof that you can make a very good TV show that includes people in costumes. I'll be happy if Gotham is at least as good as Arrow.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I am due to Hannibal, currently satisfied that Michael Pitt could play Heath Ledger playing the Joker, if it came to it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

In the interview the guy was like "you know some people wonder if a Joker character would be overshadowed by Ledger's iconic performance" and his response was "well bro I wrote lines for Cleopatra and Marc Antony so it'll be fine".

That's a really vague statement to take away "We are totally doing the Joker specifically" from.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That's a really vague statement to take away "We are totally doing the Joker specifically" from.

It would be, yes, if the source of that statement wasn't posted on this very page but here you go anyway:

quote:

You mentioned The Killing Joke. So you’ll bring in The Joker?

He’s the crown jewel of the Batman villains. He will be brought in with great care and a lot of thought.

Some feel Heath Ledger’s performance was so iconic it would be a mistake to try to do that character again so soon.

I’ve written scenes for Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony and Cleopatra. So while that is a serious and valid note, you can’t get into doing this without going there. That was a wonderful performance and — apart from everything else — wonderful make-up. And we should try to live up to that. It will be a different character. It’s certainly going to be more Heath Ledger than Cesar Romero. But like I say, all of these people are real people with feelings and emotions and history and parents. I just build from that.

His favorite Batman comics are The Killing Joke and "the Frank Miller stuff, obviously".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

It would be, yes, if the source of that statement wasn't posted on this very page but here you go anyway:

What? Click links? Do I look like I'm made of money? :colbert:

The idea of something about this show being done "with great care" is hilarious to me.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

There was an early draft of the script leaked a while back which has a comedian at Fish Mooney's club which was very much a "THIS MAY BE THE JOKER".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

There was an early draft of the script leaked a while back which has a comedian at Fish Mooney's script which was very much a "THIS MAY BE THE JOKER".

Leaked script you say!?

quote:

• Here's the proto-villains introduced in the pilot: A 14-year-old Catwoman, already cat-burglering and associating with cats; the Riddler, who is working for the GCPD as a coroner and who tries to present all pertinent case information as riddles; the Penguin, a mid-level thug, who as mentioned earlier is repeatedly referred to as looking like a penguin.

• Additionally, Gordon and Bullock enter a run-down apartment where a little girl named Ivy lives with her lovely parents and, according to the script, a lot of houseplants. Could this perhaps be Poison Ivy? Well, in the comics, Poison Ivy's real name is Pamela Isley. Is Gotham giving us a clever feint here? Probably not.

• There's also a comedian telling jokes in gangster Fish Mooney's club, jokes straight out of Reader's Digest circa 1942. Mooney laughs hysterically, and, just in case those feelings were somehow opaque to the audiences, she tells the comedian she likes him. A lot. Repeatedly.

• Major Crimes detective Renee Montoya used to date Gordon's fiancée, because LESBIANS. And for bonus points, Bullock even calls her a dyke. Fun!

• Alfred appears to have a crazy cockney accent, and I swear to god this is real dialogue from the script:

ALFRED: Oi! Master Bruce! Stop playing silly buggers! Get your bloody arse down off there!
• One more line for the road from Gordon's fiancée:

BARBARA (blithely): Jim, you are the cleverest, bravest, goodest man in Gotham.

This has probably already been mad debunked but it's already my head canon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thing about the netflix shows is that they won't be on the radar as much as any network shows, and even with the network shows, outside of Flash and Gotham, most people won't know they are based on comics.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

twistedmentat posted:

Thing about the netflix shows is that they won't be on the radar as much as any network shows, and even with the network shows, outside of Flash and Gotham, most people won't know they are based on comics.

I dunno man, the big "MARVEL" animated logo before every episode might be a tip-off. If Marvel doesn't get people to realize that these are Marvel properties connected to Iron Man & Friends then that's gonna be a massive marketing failure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Daredevil had a pretty big movie before.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Plus, since they tie into the MCU, you can bet they promote the hell out of it.

edit: I mean, promoting it in the light that it is also part of the shared experience.

e X fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 9, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Thing about the netflix shows is that they won't be on the radar as much as any network shows

I don't know about that, something like House of Cards is hugely popular.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know about that, something like House of Cards is hugely popular.

Yea, but they won't contribute to a over saturation of comic book TV shows, which some people are worried about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And iZombie and Constantine are distinct enough from cape stuff that a lot of casual viewers won't think of them as comic books shows. Same with Preacher and so forth.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Agent Carter promotional art:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
http://marvel.com/news/tv/2014/5/10/22496/first_details_on_marvels_agent_carter

quote:

"Marvel's Agent Carter," starring Captain America's Hayley Atwell follows the story of Peggy Carter. It's 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life--Steve Rogers.

Howard Stark confirmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
John Slattery for Howard, go full on Mad Men with spies.