Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iv46vi posted:

Better yet, rewire it so it only beeps when the lights are left on. Yes, I'm the idiot who occasionally forgets to turn off the pop up lights.

I've left the parking lights on before, but never the popups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Here's a couple questions I have a few days into Miata ownership:
1: I noticed a small hole in the convertible top. It's on the driver's side, about an inch long. What is the best way to patch it without it looking like poo poo? I have a black top, if it makes any difference.

2: What kind of stereo and speakers are recommended? I like Pioneer head units, and probably can get by without having a CD player. However, I would prefer something that is less likely to be stolen.

3: Does the interior have any sort of drains built in anywhere that I need to keep an eye on?

4: Any other tips for a new owner to watch out for?

Bonus: Is it normal to fall in love with a car at first drive? I grin like an idiot just about the entire time I'm behind the wheel. My turbo Supra was a lot of fun for the 3 or 4 seconds it took to get to the speed limit, but the Miata is a much more pure automotive experience.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 8, 2014

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Nocheez posted:

3: Does the interior have any sort of drains built in anywhere that I need to keep an eye on?

There is a drain by each seat belt tower. Basically you look for the plastic tub behind the tower, and feel around in it and there will be a hole. That whole drains pretty much straight down to the ground. You can take a piece of coaxial cable with the ends cut off, or some old UTP cable and run it through the hole and pull it out the other side. Keeping this debris free makes sure the water drains away effectively, and it also can help prevent debris from building up in the lower rocker panel which is where many Miatas develop rust problems.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Korwen posted:

There is a drain by each seat belt tower. Basically you look for the plastic tub behind the tower, and feel around in it and there will be a hole. That whole drains pretty much straight down to the ground. You can take a piece of coaxial cable with the ends cut off, or some old UTP cable and run it through the hole and pull it out the other side. Keeping this debris free makes sure the water drains away effectively, and it also can help prevent debris from building up in the lower rocker panel which is where many Miatas develop rust problems.

Good to know! So that hole in the top behind the driver's window should drain straight down in the case of rain?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nocheez posted:

2: What kind of stereo and speakers are recommended? I like Pioneer head units, and probably can get by without having a CD player. However, I would prefer something that is less likely to be stolen.

Whatever you like for a head unit, but I would recommend a set of quality door speakers with a high RMS wattage and a good amp because there is pretty much no room for a sub so the door speakers need to do all the work. Sealing the doors up with sound deadening material like an enclosure helps a lot, I plan on doing it here within a month or two to my car.

Also don't forget the headrest speakers, they help really bring out the sound when the top is down and the wind is swirling. I have the Clearwater speakers in the headrests and they're awesome.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

leica posted:

Whatever you like for a head unit, but I would recommend a set of quality door speakers with a high RMS wattage and a good amp because there is pretty much no room for a sub so the door speakers need to do all the work. Sealing the doors up with sound deadening material like an enclosure helps a lot, I plan on doing it here within a month or two to my car.

Also don't forget the headrest speakers, they help really bring out the sound when the top is down and the wind is swirling. I have the Clearwater speakers in the headrests and they're awesome.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I have an NB so there does not appear to be headrest speakers installed from the factory.

I'm not worried about having a super-nice stereo. This is just my fun car, and some decent speakers in the doors and a good head unit is all I'll be looking for.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder why they didn't put headrest speakers in the NB, it makes such a huge difference with the top down.

But yeah, head unit doesn't really matter as long it has a pre out. A good quality amp and speakers is what counts.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

leica posted:

I have a JL 10W7 in my miata but that's almost all the trunk and the amp makes my headlights nearly turn out at night if it's turned up.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

That disappearing plate idea seems awesome in theory but I feel as if you'd still be getting pulled over now and then for it.
Maybe so. I guess it depends on the enforcement habits of the cops in your area. I drive my NA so rarely I probably should just leave it off but I don't know what the fine is and I don't want to be hassled. I do love that the hinged plate I linked is completely non-destructive. A non-hinged one that uses the existing screw holes for the teeth would be the way to go if you're worried about cops and don't want to cut holes in the bumper, air blocking issues aside.

Nocheez posted:

Good to know! So that hole in the top behind the driver's window should drain straight down in the case of rain?
I'm a little fuzzy on this but pretty sure there is one on each side and yes they drain water from the soft top straight down. They also have a little plastic valve at the bottom. I've been told that the valve could be a reason the drains often clog and some people just ream them out from the bottom up to break the valve and keep the drain permanently open. The front wheel wells (at least on mine) also have a plastic rock guard that should be removed as it can trap stuff behind it which also holds water and promotes rust. Basically the two big rust issues with these are due to maintenance issues that most people wouldn't have thought about when the cars were new. There was a service bulletin to basically cut the pinch off the drain tip so that it had a better opening so at some point drainage problems became known.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Nocheez posted:

Yeah, have some pictures of mine from when I put a new top on:

The first picture is the reason why the carpet was always kind of dampish after it rained.

edit:

Nocheez posted:

1: I noticed a small hole in the convertible top. It's on the driver's side, about an inch long. What is the best way to patch it without it looking like poo poo? I have a black top, if it makes any difference.

I patched a hole in my old top with some random vinyl patch I found on amazon. It was clear and stretchy. Make sure you clean the area really well before applying the patch, and round the edges of it so that they're less inclined to peel up. Get a friend to hold the edges of the tear together while you apply the patch.

dpidz0r fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 9, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Could you guys please keep your eyes out for a good condition red NA front bumper cover for me?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

leica posted:

You're safer without one on the street honestly. The Miata's windshield frame is perfectly capable of preventing you from being squashed should the .000001% chance of you flipping happens.

While I agree that he doesn't need a bar for the street, this is dead wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGHzyNJ3-kI

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I just went and checked my soft top drains, and they weren't nearly as bad as I was expecting. The total amount of dirt and tree detritus was about the size of a pinch of tobacco. It came out very easily and wasn't jammed into the drains at all. Glad I looked at this thread and went out to check though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The miata and ford ranger have almost the same chance of killing you. 05 to 08 anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ziploc posted:

While I agree that he doesn't need a bar for the street, this is dead wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGHzyNJ3-kI

Looks like it did fine to me :confused:

Seriously, do you really think Miatas would have been allowed to go into production if there was a rollover protection issue? 99% of the Miatas on the road don't have roll bars and I've never heard of people getting crushed in a rollover.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The minute the weight of the vehicle is on the windshield header, it will fold down. I guarantee it. You can see if in the video as well. I think the dummies back keeps the vehicle from fully flattening.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Out of all the hundreds of thousands (almost a million) Miatas sold around the world I have never heard of a rollover and occupants being crushed because of a windshield header failure. Don't know what to tell you man.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 9, 2014

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
This guy died because he hit his head on the roadway. They're out there.

You'd expect that for just about any unlikely-but-conceivable wreck when you have a million Miatas on the road, though. The NHTSA says the data shows people die in rollover accidents in standard convertibles about as often as they die in rollovers in cars with roofs. That's good enough for me. (Although I do have a Boss Frog bar in my Miata.)

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
[Rollover chat]

I've been paranoid about convertibles every since I saw 'Prefontaine', especially because I like to thrash mine during my commute.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Joe Mama posted:

[Rollover chat]

I've been paranoid about convertibles every since I saw 'Prefontaine', especially because I like to thrash mine during my commute.

A friend of mine worked with two guys who are now paraplegics after a Miata rollover; that's on my mind alot. I also live about a mile from where Prefontaine died.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

A friend of mine worked with two guys who are now paraplegics after a Miata rollover; that's on my mind alot.

Well look at it this way, if they had a rollbar it might have helped, but it also might have hurt them worse or killed them.

You have to weigh the pros and cons. What are the odds you'll actually roll a Miata? Pretty drat low, unless you drive like a complete moron. What are the odds of you getting into a fender bender, or getting rear ended? A lot higher, and a rollbar is going to hurt you, not help you in those more common kind of accidents.

You also have to think about where you drive. If it's rural areas with lots of back road twisties that you like to hoon on then maybe a rollbar would be a good idea, but even then without a helmet it's risky. If you drive mostly in the city or urban sprawls it's just a bad idea.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's a good way to tell if the 60k's been done on my NA? The PO says he's pretty sure it was, but I want to confirm. Engine bay is clean as gently caress, accessory belts are new, brake fluid and oil are good, FWIW.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
By 60k do you mean the timing belt? Take off the valve cover and look at it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

FatCow posted:

By 60k do you mean the timing belt? Take off the valve cover and look at it.

Is it just belt, fluids, plugs and wires?

Edit: NM, found it.

Edit edit: Wooo, it's all been done!

blk fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 11, 2014

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

leica posted:

You have to weigh the pros and cons. What are the odds you'll actually roll a Miata? Pretty drat low, unless you drive like a complete moron. What are the odds of you getting into a fender bender, or getting rear ended? A lot higher, and a rollbar is going to hurt you, not help you in those more common kind of accidents.

The way I like to look at it is that if I roll the car it's a lot more likely to be my fault for doing something retarded enough to roll it. If I get rear-ended, it'll probably be by some jackass on the freeway too busy texting to notice that traffic was stopped in front of him and there'll be nothing that I can do about it.

If I have to choose between having a car configured to kill me in a rollover vs a car configured to kill me if someone slams into my bumper, I'd much rather die by my own retardation than by someone elses.

That said, I left the rollbar from the previous owner and just scoot my seat forwards a tiny bit so that my head can't actually hit the bar. One of these days I'll make a pair of cushions to go on the headrests so I can put the seat all the way back but still have my head kept from being able to hit it. I hate how the bar interferes with the top, but on the other hand it's got a lot of utility for things like mounting my dashcam and tieing lumber to.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If you do a roll bar, either do race seats or be < 5'7". That's the only way I'd do it because the stock seats are too short.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Seriously, If you're not a lardass goon the Sparco sprint V is extremely comfortable, and its high back means you're not hitting that bar in a million years.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sro-00823nr

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So you're saying to buy unnecessary seats to protect yourself from and unnecessary rollbar.

I thought we were talking about daily driven street Miatas, not track cars.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Let's put it this way; if you'll be bouncing your head off of it in a non-rollover then you shouldn't have it in a DD. If you get a good bar that's made to fit under a hard top it'll sit a bit lower and further back, like mine. The only problem for taller people is whether or not you'll pass a broomstick test without getting a lower seat or cutting a crapload of foam out. If you can manage to do both (not have it hit your head, broomstick) then you're set.

Edit, add: If any Miata people here want to join a Miata only HPDE run group for June 6 at Thunderhill you should go to http://www.bayareamiatadrivers.com/ soon. If they get enough people we'll have the main covered paddock area and several sessions to ourselves. And, as always with this group, we run the Cyclone.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 10, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some of the NE Indiana Miata owners showed up to Cars & Coffee today and I would pick today to drive the MS6. One dude was really cool and let me jump behind the wheel of his 2003 and I hate to say it but I think I bought the wrong generation Miata.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha. Yeah I'd say the later NB's drive the best overall. Not enough over a 1.8 NA though to make up for looks :v:

[edit] Sell your NC for a profit and by a NB with money left over for a turbo :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 11, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Some of the NE Indiana Miata owners showed up to Cars & Coffee today and I would pick today to drive the MS6. One dude was really cool and let me jump behind the wheel of his 2003 and I hate to say it but I think I bought the wrong generation Miata.

I drove another NC the day I bought my NA, the difference was pretty striking. They both have significant strengths. I like the NC styling just as much as the NA (although I am madly in love with my popup headlights). I like both drivetrains equally. I much prefer the top on the NC, and the extra storage and whatnot. My NA doesn't rattle as much as others so I lucked out there. I guess I find the NA more charming and the NC easier to use.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Ha. Yeah I'd say the later NB's drive the best overall. Not enough over a 1.8 NA though to make up for looks :v:

[edit] Sell your NC for a profit and by a NB with money left over for a turbo :)

You told me to get the NC! This is all your fault!

And nah, I still love it. I do wish I'd driven more than NBs prior to making my decision though. Right now the NC needs a top but I doubt I'd make too much off it. There's a few for sale locally right now for $9-11K and I did finance mine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well you said you're liking the NB better so why not, I went through a couple before I figured out what I really wanted.......Anyways, I suggested the NC because IIRC you wanted the more refined Miata which the NC is. Doesn't mean it's more fun though :v:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking of wasting some money http://www.carbonmiata.com/

Has anyone seen any comments on how well their pieces match the factory panels? I want to get 2 new fenders anyways and getting something that doesn't rust is pretty appealing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

craig588 posted:

I'm thinking of wasting some money http://www.carbonmiata.com/

Has anyone seen any comments on how well their pieces match the factory panels? I want to get 2 new fenders anyways and getting something that doesn't rust is pretty appealing.

Pretty sure the stock fenders are aluminum but use whatever excuse you want to justify buying CF ones. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
asmasm (3d intake guy) might be picking up some doors from there, but it's far off.

E: stock fenders are steel. The only thing that's aluminum is the hood.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Phone posted:

asmasm (3d intake guy) might be picking up some doors from there, but it's far off.

E: stock fenders are steel. The only thing that's aluminum is the hood.

And the truck lid (at least it is for NCs).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The NC's have all sorts of aluminum bits on them. The front A arms and the rear knuckles are made of aluminum and the multi-links are all tubular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phone posted:

Ah cool. I can probably wait for those results. The drivetrain isn't even in the body on my car yet.