Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Pft another greatsword to lose amongst their vast collection.

Are you seriously bitching about the game having too much weapon variety? :psyduck:

Jesus christ gamers really are the worst ever.

Revdomezehis posted:

Also, shall I just go ahead and assume cheats are out now? Just encountered a guy who was taking no damage whatsoever from any of my spells or the rats.

Its a PC game, to anybody who knows what they're doing cheats are always "out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does the Ring of Steel Protection +2 even have any noticeable/worthwhile effects on your defense?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You can check it for yourself by pressing Y to switch between views. It's not much, but it's appreciable. About the equivalent of an extra set of light armor or so. Good for spellcasty types.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Artificer posted:

Does the Ring of Steel Protection +2 even have any noticeable/worthwhile effects on your defense?

The wiki states: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Ring+of+Steel+Protection#.U20S8_ldVv8

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Oh, and, speaking of bloodstains...

After you take the ship to Lost Bastille, there are dozens of bloodstains showing people just jumping into the water - like, not even accidentally running off the ledge or the dock. They just go for it like they are doing a triathalon or something. I, for the life of me, have never been able to think of ANY reason to kill yourself there.

There are no enemies, no merchants, and an elevator is literally the only thing between you and the bonfire in the corridor.

....why do this?

This is because when the cutscene ends your camera is facing the short end of the pier and most people just start running forward after the cutscene expecting to go into a new area or the camera to be pointing towards the shore.

Ask me how I know this. :negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Red Mundus posted:

This is because when the cutscene ends your camera is facing the short end of the pier and most people just start running forward after the cutscene expecting to go into a new area or the camera to be pointing towards the shore.

You gotta look before you leap in :darksouls: :cheeky:

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
God, just reached shaded woods in NG+, and unless im Human those Lion Warriors are just one shotting me. My parrying sucks and they are resistant to lightning so its just a hellish time.

Question, is it worth going above 50 faith?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vequeth posted:

God, just reached shaded woods in NG+, and unless im Human those Lion Warriors are just one shotting me. My parrying sucks and they are resistant to lightning so its just a hellish time.

The Lion Warriors leave themselves ridiculously open with their swing. Just bait it and take one or two swings depending on your weapon, roll away, repeat. Alternatively circle around behind them during their absurdly long recovery time and just backstab the fuckers. They are super chumpy enemies.

And no. No it is not.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you seriously bitching about the game having too much weapon variety? :psyduck:

Jesus christ gamers really are the worst ever.

Uh no it was just a throwaway remark. Are you mentally ill or something zaphod you're really intense (I'm half serious don't wig out) :v:

It's neat having never touched a spell or miracle in this game, because I've no idea what's about to happen when a red phantom starts creating funny lights and waving a candlestick around. I've a feeling making a cleric next will spoil the mystery.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Vequeth posted:

This guys are heavily resistant to every form of magic in the game, I believe. Just beat the poo poo out of it with a mace

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Red Mundus posted:

To be fair to the walking straight off a cliff bloodstain crowd, I did pull this myself in the 3rd Abyss Chasm. Just three steps and blam, slam dunk into a bottomless pit.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I think a lot I new souls players are used other modern games with invisible walls on cliffs.

Casuals.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

To be fair to the walking straight off a cliff bloodstain crowd, I did pull this myself in the 3rd Abyss Chasm. Just three steps and blam, slam dunk into a bottomless pit.

On a stoogier note I sprinted right the first time I entered the Executioner's Chariot.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, darkdiving is absolutely terrible for having dropoffs everywhere.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Lion Warriors leave themselves ridiculously open with their swing. Just bait it and take one or two swings depending on your weapon, roll away, repeat. Alternatively circle around behind them during their absurdly long recovery time and just backstab the fuckers. They are super chumpy enemies.

And no. No it is not.

Nearly impossible with two of them though. Jesus I burned through a LOT of human effigies there.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

On a stoogier note I sprinted right the first time I entered the Executioner's Chariot.

First time I "fought" Old Iron King I went through the fog door, watched the cutscene and immediately sprinted to the right along the wall without looking.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Nearly impossible with two of them though. Jesus I burned through a LOT of human effigies there.

Bait them into attacking at the same time then go in for an attack and repeat.

The best way is to run directly between them and that'll get them to go after you at once. Even as a fatroller I was able to do it. It just comes down to timing mostly.

Mangoose posted:

First time I "fought" Old Iron King I went through the fog door, watched the cutscene and immediately sprinted to the right along the wall without looking.

Got summoned to help fight Dragonslayer and forgot the host didn't raise the arena rings and promptly entered the fog door, strafed right and took a dive. Poor host must've wondered what the hell I was thinking.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 9, 2014

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Aw man, I knew my no-death NG+ run was going too smoothly. Do Homeward Bones and the Aged Feather get disabled when you've summoned phantoms? I got confused by this and panicked during The Old Iron King and walked into some lava.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yeah, don't even roll away from their axe, it's a waste of stamina and time on your part and leaves you too far away to retaliate. Just leisurely back up a step or two manually and punish them with a whack from a rolled up newspaper.

Their swing from left to right (your left, not theirs) seems to have a shorter recovery time, so if you're still getting caught with your pants down just wait for a right to left swing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cowcaster posted:

I died like 4 times and lost 5k souls last night in the Gutter. Not because of the enemies, but because I kept bumbling off edges like a moron. I'd done that area before so I was complacent and moving through it quickly, which caused me to keep falling victim to the tree fort from hell.

Mangoose posted:

I did this as a sunbro and felt so ashamed. A minute later I got summoned again by the same guy so I threw the I'M SORRY :saddowns: carving several times.

VVV Only way to "beat" a hacker is to get to the end of the area as soon as possible. If you make it through the fog door, you're free from them. The only way to actually kill a hacker is to somehow get them to fall off a ledge.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 9, 2014

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
How do I protect myself from cheaters? Just pull the internet? I don't want to be punished by rear end in a top hat cheaters anymore. The game stopped being fun.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Liquid Penguins posted:

How do I protect myself from cheaters? Just pull the internet? I don't want to be punished by rear end in a top hat cheaters anymore. The game stopped being fun.

Just setting steam to offline mode does the trick.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Liquid Penguins posted:

Be honest, did you invade a bunch of people and now you've got the bluecops on you 24/7?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
^^^^ nope just people who don't like the game running around with unlimited HP ruining it for people who do like the game

Cowcaster posted:

Just setting steam to offline mode does the trick.

Like when I see a cheater I can do this in the overlay and they disappear?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm still a little confused on the weapon enchants despite having finished NG, so someone correct me if I'm wrong: Lightning adds lightning damage that scales with faith, magic with Int, Dark scales off the lower of faith or int, and Fire scales off...?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I died like 4 times and lost 5k souls last night in the Gutter. Not because of the enemies, but because I kept bumbling off edges like a moron. I'd done that area before so I was complacent and moving through it quickly, which caused me to keep falling victim to the tree fort from hell.

Speaking of the gutter what's up with the hit detection on the attack dogs? I would stand next to them and suddenly take 50% of my health damage for seemingly no reason. It's like From left out an animation for them or something. It looks like they're supposed to do a paw swipe or something but they don't move.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Get acid surge and a bunch of Corrosive Urns and spam them like crazy. They may have infinite health but not infinite durability. Costly on the souls but man watching them run away with all their poo poo broken is incredibly satisfying.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Liquid Penguins posted:

Oh no, I mean do it before you get an invader. Preferably before firing up the game altogether.

No one knows the specifics but if you break the connection enough times while someone's invading that character gets locked out of the multiplayer altogether. You start with that spinal-cordy thing you can use to "unban" them from it, but you get one and you're done.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Can you get to the forgotten door in The Gutter from the second bonfire? I somehow missed the first bonfire in the area and would like to get to the door without having to go through the well and first half of the gutter again.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What is a good boss to farm for getting the Sunlight Medals? My soul memory is ~670k. I've been trying Scorpion Najka, but her spells make the hosts die a lot and it's very frustrating.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Barbed Club, though that requires to you unlock Straid and kill Flexible Sentry.

Flexible Sentry's 3 weapons are surprisingly good, at least 2 of them are pretty rad (Warped Sword, Barbed Club) with the third one being merely okay (Arced Sword).

Thanks, I already did that, will give it a try!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Red Crown posted:

I'm still a little confused on the weapon enchants despite having finished NG, so someone correct me if I'm wrong: Lightning adds lightning damage that scales with faith, magic with Int, Dark scales off the lower of faith or int, and Fire scales off...?

I think it's the average of faith and int, but I'm not certain.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I use the backstep against the lions (press roll without moving the stick) followed by the R1 counter-attack. Gives a nice window for a few attacks and looks badass, especially with punching.

Also, I'm SM 7 million and still get summoned regularly against all the popular summon bosses (Smelter, last boss, etc.) so the people freaking out about their soul memory range can safely chill out IMO.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Cowcaster posted:

Oh no, I mean do it before you get an invader. Preferably before firing up the game altogether.

No one knows the specifics but if you break the connection enough times while someone's invading that character gets locked out of the multiplayer altogether. You start with that spinal-cordy thing you can use to "unban" them from it, but you get one and you're done.

You can apparently go back to where you start the game in Things Betwixt after you used your starting one and a new one will show up after several(?) hours of waiting.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Are cheaters more prevalent at low SM then? I've only played against one, every other guy I thought was cheating just ended up being insanely laggy.

VisAbsoluta posted:

What is a good boss to farm for getting the Sunlight Medals? My soul memory is ~670k. I've been trying Scorpion Najka, but her spells make the hosts die a lot and it's very frustrating.

Give Covetus Demon a go.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

Thanks, I already did that, will give it a try!

Redeye ring helps a ton when you are trying to get bad hosts to survive through boss fights. It doesn't work properly with every boss though.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Redeye+Ring

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Red Mundus posted:

Speaking of the gutter what's up with the hit detection on the attack dogs? I would stand next to them and suddenly take 50% of my health damage for seemingly no reason. It's like From left out an animation for them or something. It looks like they're supposed to do a paw swipe or something but they don't move.
They have this fast side sweep that does damage almost as soon as the animation starts, they only seem to do it when you're to the side of them so either stay in front and attack after their long biting attack or circle them with your shield up.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VisAbsoluta posted:

What is a good boss to farm for getting the Sunlight Medals?

Dragonrider or Covetous Demon are probably the easiest ones that you have access to.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Liquid Penguins posted:

^^^^ nope just people who don't like the game running around with unlimited HP ruining it for people who do like the game

Actual invasions are so rare, let alone hackers within the already rare invasions, that I simply don't believe this is an actual "constant" issue for you.

The only way you could plausibly be getting a sufficiently constant flood of invaders to have any notable proportion of hackers is if you had Sinner status and had the bluecops invading every 5 minutes (as they are wont to do).

Just suck it up and stay online, it's well worth it for the free repairs/humanity restores/spell restores of Cooperative. Coop is also good extra souls and an excellent way to scout out a boss before staking your own life on it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fuxxo posted:

You can apparently go back to where you start the game in Things Betwixt after you used your starting one and a new one will show up after several(?) hours of waiting.

I think you should give that rumor the same amount of consideration as an orange soapstone sign next to a cliff that says "shortcut ahead, try jumping". Could be true! Probably not.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Cowcaster posted:

I think you should give that rumor the same amount of consideration as an orange soapstone sign next to a cliff that says "shortcut ahead, try jumping". Could be true! Probably not.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Bone+of+Order This page has 2 links to threads with people saying it works so I'm gonna say it's probably true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Vequeth posted:

How's your sorcery? If you have at least 19 intelligence, use the Yearn spell on these guys. They'll turn their back to you and you can take off basically all their health with a decent backstab. I think Alluring Skulls will also do this if you can't cast the spell. It's great for handling groups of them.

If it's just one lion guy, their attacks are telegraphed from a mile away so it's easier to just bait them, dodge/backstep, take a few swings, repeat.