Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
John Skeleton vs. Kevin Kolb

And Skelton won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
How did Kevin Kolb keep getting work?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

More misdirection or does Lovie just live giraffe?
"Jay Cutler is our starting quarterback"
-Josh McDaniels, Spring of 2009

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Aikman to Testaverde is just a big blur to me.

It went:

2001: Carter-Wright-Stoerner-Leaf

2002: Carter-Hutchinson

2003: Just Carter (somehow this team made the playoffs, it made no sense at the time and really makes no sense in hindsight)

Carter gets arrested in the offseason and gets released, which opens the door for Romo to make the team and saves us from another decade of terrible QB play

2004: Testeverde-Henson

2005: Bledsoe

2006: Bledsoe-Romo

2007-present: Romo when he's not hurt.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 9, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

quote:

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ
Overnights:
ESPN NFL Draft: 6.8
ESPN2 Blazers-Spurs 2.7
ESPN2 Heat-Nets: 2.6
NFL Net NFL Draft: 1.9
NBCSN Bos-Montreal 1.2
NBCSN Ana-LA: 0.7

That's pretty amazing. With numbers like that the draft will last the entire month of May soon.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I present the Dilfer/Frye controversy for consideration.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Tim Tebow/Kyle Orton deserves an honorable, mention, even if it did end in a playoff win for the Broncos.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

Tim Tebow/Kyle Orton deserves an honorable, mention, even if it did end in a playoff win for the Broncos.

Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton went to a superbowl!

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
The Redskins issued a cease and desist against Lavar Arrington to stop advertising his camps with the term Redskin Great. Even though he was brought out and honored as a Redskin Great during a game.

Goddamn I hate the ownership so loving much. Just this petty poo poo is so goddamn annoying.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

QB drafted by the Eagles? He's gotta be good!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chilichimp posted:

A couple good games as an Eagle, and the fact a third of the teams in the league are QB needy. AZ gave up DRC, a 2nd rounder and gave the guy a 5 year 64M dollar contract with 21M guaranteed. I think Kolb has made over 30M dollars being a not very good QB.

axeil posted:

John Skeleton vs. Kevin Kolb

And Skelton won.

Anyone else remember 2010 and Arizona's Derek Anderson/John Skelton/Max Hall Fans were seriously clamoring for Max f'in Hall to come in, and his jersey sold out. Skelton was the 3rd string QB that year.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Skelton was loving magic with a stone-handed receiving corps during that Packers game in 2012. :colbert:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Parlett316 posted:

The Redskins issued a cease and desist against Lavar Arrington to stop advertising his camps with the term Redskin Great. Even though he was brought out and honored as a Redskin Great during a game.

Goddamn I hate the ownership so loving much. Just this petty poo poo is so goddamn annoying.

This deserves a douche nomination.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The NFL needs a commissioner like Adam Silver so that Dan Snyder can be banned for life for being a giant piece of poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ulmont posted:

That's pretty amazing. With numbers like that the draft will last the entire month of May soon.

People suck.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Brannock posted:

This deserves a douche nomination.

Look, this can all be settled so long as Lavar includes the trademark to the end of Redskin GreatTM and pays the appropriate licensing fee to Snyder.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

skipdogg posted:

A couple good games as an Eagle, and the fact a third of the teams in the league are QB needy. AZ gave up DRC, a 2nd rounder and gave the guy a 5 year 64M dollar contract with 21M guaranteed. I think Kolb has made over 30M dollars being a not very good QB.

Anyone else remember 2010 and Arizona's Derek Anderson/John Skelton/Max Hall Fans were seriously clamoring for Max f'in Hall to come in, and his jersey sold out. Skelton was the 3rd string QB that year.

My best memory of that is Mike Tanier's breakdown of one of Skelton's games where the announcers said "More Skelton action coming at ya after the break." Tainer was incredulous that an announcer would be so cruel.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Most of us were calling for Hall to start because that way we had a built in excuse when the Cards got their rear end beat.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

Jeff Lewis - Chris Weinke - Matt Lytle - Dameyune Craig

Jimmy Clausen - Brian St. Pierre - Matt Moore - Tony Pike?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

waah posted:

Jimmy Clausen - Brian St. Pierre - Matt Moore - Tony Pike?

Not as bad as 2001.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

lovely quarterback competitions seem to happen all the time, but how often do legitimately good quarterback competitions happen?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GNU Order posted:

lovely quarterback competitions seem to happen all the time, but how often do legitimately good quarterback competitions happen?

Tom Brady puts a future pro bowler in their place every single training camp.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

GNU Order posted:

Basically never because any team with two starter-worthy QBs would almost always be better off moving one for the haul it'd be worth.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

GNU Order posted:

e: Misunderstood

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

GNU Order posted:

If you have two starting quarterbacks, you don't have one :science:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Young/Montana, Plummer/Cutler, Brees/Rivers...Smith/Kaepernick :laugh:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Kalli posted:

Tom Brady puts a future pro bowler in their place every single training camp.

literal lol

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
If you all would like to quit talking about how lovely Arizona's QB play has been minus Warner I'd really appreciate it.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
The correct winner is Scott Mitchell vs Stoney Case

Which led to Tony Banks vs Trent Dilfer, and Dilfer winning a Super Bowl.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
I remember there being some talk about whether Bledsoe or Brady would start the Super Bowl against the Rams. Though that was probably just a media thing. I guess they talked about it because Brady got hurt against the Steelers and Bledsoe had to come in and finish the game.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
You could also count the Rodgers/Favre saga, though Favre wasn't technically on the team

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

turbomoose posted:

You could also count the Rodgers/Favre saga, though Favre wasn't technically on the team

New hotness replaces old leathery shittiness

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The things you find on twitter

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Azhais posted:

The things you find on twitter

oh my goddddddddd

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
On the eighth day God created a Brown.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

On the seventh day, God rested. To honor the rest the Chiefs set aside a period of resting known as free agency to remember the sabbath and keep the depth chart holey.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Parmesan Basil posted:

oh my goddddddddd

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

"Standard of Excellence"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Standard of Excellence is perpetual 8-8 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

It will get lost in the draft thread, but if you want some nerd stuff to read while you wait in anticipation for the mid round picks, check out this article about finding those draft day diamonds from a statistical point.

http://www.footballperspective.com/drafting-diamonds-in-the-rough/

quote:

Asante Samuel. Jahri Evans. Robert Mathis. These three players share something in common that offers a hint to finding steals in the middle rounds of the draft. All three eventually made Pro Bowls. Each was drafted in Round 4 or later. And each played for a notable football powerhouse in college: Central Florida1, Bloomsburg, Alabama A&M. The success of these smaller college players relative to their marquee school competitors turns out to be a much more general phenomenon. In the middle rounds of the NFL draft, players from outside the traditional power conferences have been more than twice as likely to eventually make the Pro Bowl as players from the most famous programs. On defense, small school players have been even more likely to make the Pro Bowl than their major school counterparts.

Let’s use the 2003 draft as an example. Only 5% (6 out of 116) of the major college players selected in round 4 or later eventually made it to a Pro Bowl. At the same time, 12% (6 out of 50) of small college players would eventually be selected for Hawaii. At the very least, if you were watching the draft and wanting to know what the chances are that your team drafted a future star, those chances increased in the middle of the draft when your team picked a player from a school like Bloomsburg than when it picked another player from the SEC.

In fact, it’s hard to think of anything else that can match the impact of simply picking small-school players as a way to find stars in the middle rounds. The data suggest that this logic has even applied at the top of the draft for comparisons such as those between Buffalo’s Khalil Mack and South Carolina’s Jadeveon Clowney. But the big gains from focusing on smaller football schools have come from finding the gems that the draft buzz mostly bypasses. Consistently, general managers have wasted picks on players from major conferences, missing chances to find difference-makers―particularly on defense―from schools such as Northern Colorado and Idaho State.

• Locked thread