Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
A contest to to make a 2-page RPG just opened: http://www.topsecretgames.net/official-contest-rules/

They aren't offering anything but exposure, and I'm not sure how much of that they can even give, but it's an interesting idea and we don't have a contest for May yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Last month's contest was 1-page RPGs, so that seems like it might run a bit repetitive.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How about this thing? http://game-chef.com/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dwarf74 posted:

When it came down to it, Greyhawk is, at its core, a collection of stuff Gary and his players thought was fun in the 70's, along with crazy ideas, in-jokes, references to other popular media, and sometimes sheer laziness.

It's the same group that got us gelatinous cubes and rust monsters, remember.

The fact that there is now a "canon" is hilarious because now there are actual important canon NPCs named Erac's Cousin, Bigby, Rigby, Xagyg, Gaxx, and so on.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I saw someone talking about Mystara on another forum and they mentioned how Karameikos is specifically a kind of generic, foresty-adventure place so that there will be somewhere "familiar" for people to start before getting into the way less traditional areas. I think my problem with Greyhawk is that they never went beyond that kind of place. Like, one of the countries is called "The Yeomanry" and it is an entire country of farmers who own their own land.

Davin Valkri posted:

That's not very...fantastic? Unless revolutionary-type states or private property concepts aren't part of normal "generic" fantasy worlds. Or is that part of the Greyhawk setting and not the other one?

There are Greyhawk grognards, but from what I've read, their focus is not on the whimsical silly fun stuff, but on Greyhawk being a very Dark Ages medieval sandbox world. No metaplot, civilization is far-flung, wilderness is dangerous, magic is rare but may be extremely powerful, and the world tends to Neutrality.

On the one hand, Greyhawk gives you the foundation stones while leaving lots of room for PCs to make their mark; on the other hand, this can seem aggressively bland. Much of the basic elements of Greyhawk suit the kind of Weird Tales era dark fantasy I like to run, but arguably other campaign settings encourage the same freedom while having more character. Much of the aesthetic of Greyhawk seems to be Arthurian heraldry while the bad guys wearing skulls and such, which provokes my indifference.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Truefact: FR mostly annoys me due to fandom, design focus, and popularity. I mean Greyhawk is just as generically high fantasy and nobody that matters cares about it at all, so it doesn't really annoy me too much, but FR is everywhere. At times I feel like FR's setting isn't so much a setting as it is a semi-blank slate to push your adventures on - which is not a bad thing! - but then that gets ruined by realmslore realmslore realmslore realmslore.
The only fond memories I have of FR are playing the Gold Box games, and a couple campaigns where we played in one corner of the world and totally ignored any and all metaplot, major NPCs, etc. I would still like to run that campaign that puts the PCs through the plot of Pool of Radiance, but I could just as easily do that in a not-Moonsea and save not-Phlan from the cult of not-Bane, and set it in Mystara or just have total freedom.

Kwyndig posted:

Wait, how can you have negative player freedom? Once you've run out of player freedom I can't imagine what happens after that.
The only answer I can think of is a game where all play consists of the GM forcing the players into a narrow range of unappealing choices. An extremely punitive dungeon (that the PCs didn't even want to enter) would work. I could also see running Insylum or Don't Rest Your Head this way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

The only answer I can think of is a game where all play consists of the GM forcing the players into a narrow range of unappealing choices.

You've just basically described a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

This seems pretty cool! The theme revolves around making an analog game with no core book attached to it. Also, Avery Mcdaldno (creator of Monsterhearts) is the main judge this year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

A contest to to make a 2-page RPG just opened: http://www.topsecretgames.net/official-contest-rules/

They aren't offering anything but exposure, and I'm not sure how much of that they can even give, but it's an interesting idea and we don't have a contest for May yet.
Copycats. :smug:

quote:

This year’s theme is: There is no book.

Roleplaying games have long been stuck in book formats. In recent years, we’ve seen that standard challenged – with shorter games, with card-based games, and with playbook-driven games. For this year’s Game Chef, we invite you to carry that challenge forward. If the teaching of a game doesn’t take place in a book or similar text, where does it take place? What would it mean to design an analog game without a core text? Do new game forms become possible? Do new solutions to old problems emerge?
Interesting...

quote:

This year’s four ingredients are: absorb, wild, glitter, sickle.
...What?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

Game Chef is an annual analog game design competition. First held in 2002, it’s led to the creation of hundreds of envelope-pushing first drafts. Game Chef gives participants 1 theme, 4 ingredients, and 9 days in which to create an analog/tabletop game design.

quote:

The Basics

Design and submit a playable draft of an analog (non-digital) game between May 10th and 18th, inspired by the theme and ingredients listed below.

It's not exactly complicated when the "theme" isn't a theme, it's more like a design restriction. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 9, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Copycats. :smug:

Interesting...

...What?

There's an example in the second paragraph:

quote:

For example, the 2004 ingredients were [ice, island, dawn, assault], which ended up inspiring games like The Mountain Witch (climbing icy Mount Fuji to assault the witch’s fortress), The Dance and the Dawn (try to find your true love at an island social gathering, hoping that — when dawn breaks — you don’t end up with the one that has a heart of ice), and Polaris (arctic elves struggle against themselves and a demonic assault, with the dawn finally coming for the first time in hundreds of years).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

No, I know how Game Chef works. I was more "what?"-ing at that particular combination of elements.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I already have my idea going. It involves listening to a ton of Kesha :getin:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For half a minute I was thinking of a game that worked entirely off dice but then I realized I'd still need a book for the rules.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Mornington Crescent: the Arriving

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

For half a minute I was thinking of a game that worked entirely off dice but then I realized I'd still need a book for the rules.

Really big dice with the rules written on them?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WordMercenary posted:

Really big dice with the rules written on them?
Roll 3dRules to see what the system we're using is. Now roll 2dSetting to see what we're playing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

Roll 3dRules to see what the system we're using is. Now roll 2dSetting to see what we're playing.
Fire up Kickstarter, everyone; I think we see the future of rules-light gaming.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Quarex posted:

Fire up Kickstarter, everyone; I think we see the future of rules-light gaming.
You joke but I'm pretty sure I have dice that probably served or could serve that exact purpose. If you have a Five Below near you check from time to time because sometimes they sell some really weird dice.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The tricky part probably isn't "Don't write a book." I'm pretty sure it's "It also should be accessible to the blind."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, you could go for an audio or video rulebook. Learning the rules is literally a recorded game tutorial that takes you through making a character and a recorded test of all the major rules systems.

If you wanted to be really innovative, you could go for an interactive program to help teach it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DalaranJ posted:

The tricky part probably isn't "Don't write a book." I'm pretty sure it's "It also should be accessible to the blind."

Well, if a blind person is accessing it via this contest they probably have an accessibility program reading it for them; at least as long as you don't do anything that would get in the way of it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I am just a fussy old man but I would loving love to play through "Pool of Radiance". The Gold Box game was the first "deep" video game I played as a kid and it has always held a special place in my heart. Last year when I decided to get back into gaming the module was the first thing I downloaded and reread. I am sure my hard copy is still somewhere in my parent's attic, but I haven't yet been brave enough to explore and find it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Well, that and figuring out how to work "glitter" into it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tollymain posted:

Well, if a blind person is accessing it via this contest they probably have an accessibility program reading it for them; at least as long as you don't do anything that would get in the way of it.

A lot of the formats I thought of with the restriction "Don't write a book." aren't going to be very readable with an accessibility program though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don't need to use glitter, but why would you not? :sparkles:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Can someone post a link to the free Dungeon World rules? I'm trying to make sure all the links in the Deals and Steals thread are current, and I'm having a hard time tracking down the actual document. I'm probably just a moron though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Can someone post a link to the free Dungeon World rules? I'm trying to make sure all the links in the Deals and Steals thread are current, and I'm having a hard time tracking down the actual document. I'm probably just a moron though.

http://book.dwgazetteer.com/

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

A lot of the formats I thought of with the restriction "Don't write a book." aren't going to be very readable with an accessibility program though.

I think the theme trumps the guidelines, though. And it doesn't say "you must make this accessible to the blind." It just says "make an effort." I think people can look past that if you have an awesome idea.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hahaha, I completely missed the tabs at the top, and thought that only brought you to the most recent updates to the document. I was right, I am a moron.

Thank you EM!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MadScientistWorking posted:

You joke but I'm pretty sure I have dice that probably served or could serve that exact purpose. If you have a Five Below near you check from time to time because sometimes they sell some really weird dice.
I was pretty much serious, but your response has demonstrated that there may be a reason to go to Five Below for the first time in my life!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh poo poo son, I've bought the craziest dice from Five Below. When I started playing 4e again I got a couple whole 1d4-1d20 sets in matched colour patterns. Plus like D6s that looked like they could be Fudge dice, or they had targets and missiles and poo poo on them and I don't even know.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Goddammit, now I want to go check there tomorrow.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I also got a pint glass with Rey Mysterio Jr. on it. I'm not sure how that's relevant, but I think I've had a Tom Collins out of it while playing Lair Assault.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

bunnielab posted:

Maybe I am just a fussy old man but I would loving love to play through "Pool of Radiance". The Gold Box game was the first "deep" video game I played as a kid and it has always held a special place in my heart. Last year when I decided to get back into gaming the module was the first thing I downloaded and reread. I am sure my hard copy is still somewhere in my parent's attic, but I haven't yet been brave enough to explore and find it.

My group did that over the course of the last year; our DM and I both bought copies of the module for hopeful use as a hint book for the game way back in the day. We dealt with the big bad and have gone on to other things, but Phlan is still our base of operations. :)

Unrelated, it looks like the Amarillo Design Bureau may be headed for a pratfall. They've got a simple Awful Green Things-like game set in the engineering section of a Klingon cruiser, Klingons eradicating an infestation of tribbles with the help of... a ship's cat. The map is a simple sheet of paper, the tribbles are tiny craft store pom-poms... and the player pieces are pewter Klingons. Given the cost of tooling moulds and casting, that last seems like an absurd expense for what is almost guaranteed to be a boutique game at best. Their plans seem to be to Kickstart it, which should hopefully keep them from taking a bath on it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh poo poo son, I've bought the craziest dice from Five Below. When I started playing 4e again I got a couple whole 1d4-1d20 sets in matched colour patterns. Plus like D6s that looked like they could be Fudge dice, or they had targets and missiles and poo poo on them and I don't even know.
I've sourced a lot of the weirder stuff from Koplow games and looking at the catalog there is a good chance that you've seen their dice. I've seen their bone dice, d6 within a d6, and their spherical d6's at Pandamonium in Boston. The stuff you can get at Five Below is bizarre even beyond it. Was that weird d6 that looked like it could be Fudge dice a dice that had only the numbers four or six on it with x's in the other places?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 10, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

I've sourced a lot of the weirder stuff from Koplow games and looking at the catalog there is a good chance that you've seen their dice. I've seen their bone dice, d6 within a d6, and their spherical d6's at Pandamonium in Boston.
Yeah, how do you even use those?

quote:

Was that weird d6 that looked like it could be Fudge dice a dice that had only the numbers four or six on it with x's in the other places?
gently caress if I know.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, how do you even use those?

The bone dice are just funky shaped d6's. The d6 within a d6 you shake it like a rattle and then throw it like a regular dice. The spherical d6's act a zocchi d100 that doesn't suck as they have more heft to them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Spherical d6 sound cool as gently caress.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Bieeardo posted:

My group did that over the course of the last year; our DM and I both bought copies of the module for hopeful use as a hint book for the game way back in the day. We dealt with the big bad and have gone on to other things, but Phlan is still our base of operations. :)

Man, I would love to find a group of calm, non-weirdos to play a 1st ed game with. People who understand it is flawed and laugh about it rather then sprging out. The more old modules I reread the more nostalgic for it I get.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I've been reading some PbP stuff (specifically D&D Next: Dead in Thay in TGR) and I'm interested in getting into the hobby. I have literally no experience in PbP TTRPGs so I am clueless as to how rolls get integrated into posts and basic stuff like that.

Are there any good resources or simple guides that come in handy?
How easy is it to get into a game if you're completely new to the particular system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

P.d0t posted:

I've been reading some PbP stuff (specifically D&D Next: Dead in Thay in TGR) and I'm interested in getting into the hobby. I have literally no experience in PbP TTRPGs so I am clueless as to how rolls get integrated into posts and basic stuff like that.

Are there any good resources or simple guides that come in handy?
How easy is it to get into a game if you're completely new to the particular system?

I don't think there's any definitive guide, and it is still as much like irl tabletop as possible, most posting conventions are easy enough to pickup just from reading.

Keep an eye on the recruit megathread and just app for a game you find interesting. A lot of GMs here are also more likely to take in a complete newbie. I've never seen anyone being an rear end about this stuff.

• Locked thread