Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

The Super Hornets Australia is ordering are being built at the factory to support the conversion.

That's how assembly lines work. There's not a separate facility for each option. Hell, Pontiac died because it was a parasite on other GM products. Same with Mercury and Ford, which is why it's retarded that Uhaul won't rent a trailer to someone driving an Explorer, but WILL rent if it's a Mountaineer. The first two AWACS were modified 707s ( you can see where the passenger windows were) while the rest were purpose-built at the plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Tremblay posted:

Sure. But that is adding all the extra in at time of build. That's a different animal than trying to take a "normal" Rhino and converting to a Growler.

Oh I know, I mean to say the conversion clearly isn't straightforward, hence it has to be configured at the factory to support it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Transformers! Growlers in disguiiiiiise

(Endless loop of transformer sound playing as techs upgrade firmware and attach ECM pods)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I can't remember where I read it but supposedly there's some wonderful synergy between the F-35's stealth/sensor suite and the Growler's ECM that makes them a matched pair, that Australia probably got sold on.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.
This may have been posted in TFR already, but it's perfectly on-topic (airpower + coldwar) so I'm reposting it here:

The A-10 Pilot's Coloring Book

Excerpt:
pre:
This is the bottom of a T-62 tank.  It is very thin only 20mm (.82 inches).
You can easily perforate it with the GAU-8/A 30mm API round.  Unfortunately
if you see it from this angle you have just been run over by subject tank.  Color
the bottom of the tank green and yourself brown -- you dumb poo poo an A-10 will
not fit underneath a T-62 tank and remain airborne.

The turret from this view is too thick -- color it red.  The four figures
to the right of the tank are crew members.  They are your standard pinko commie
swine.  Strafe those atheistic degenerates.  Color them green with lots of
holes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can't remember where I read it but supposedly there's some wonderful synergy between the F-35's stealth/sensor suite and the Growler's ECM that makes them a matched pair, that Australia probably got sold on.

Well yeah, stealth and effective EW would seem to compliment each other.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I read that "Block 5" F-35s will be able to internally carry six AMRAAMs, is there any reason to believe this? Is there enough space in the weapons bays?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

When the JSF reveals it's final form it's going to be similar to the final scene of Sleepaway Camp

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smiling Jack posted:

When the JSF reveals it's final form it's going to be similar to the final scene of Sleepaway Camp

:golfclap:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm guessing that "growler" doesn't have the same meaning in the US as the UK. I'm finding it hard to take anything with that name seriously.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

simplefish posted:

I'm guessing that "growler" doesn't have the same meaning in the US as the UK. I'm finding it hard to take anything with that name seriously.

It has the same meaning over here, but perhaps not as common. To be honest I've been giggling like a school girl for the past page.

Edit: Uhhhh, just looked up the UK's version and no... we do not have the same meaning.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The alt versions of growler I know are:

1) a large beer bottle usually with a resealable cap
2) a big turd

Are there more?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Lady parts (especially vulgar, and usually implies excessively hairy/ugly)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A small piece of floating glacial ice, about the size of a minivan or smaller.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7b8_1311067962

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yeah I'd heard of the ice one but the lady parts one, :lol:

Truly a great all purpose word.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Smiling Jack posted:

drat son, that's a Dennis Miller-type reference.

Well done.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PhotoKirk posted:

drat son, that's a Dennis Miller-type reference.

Well done.

That's when the laser pops out :dong:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

This is when I really wish I had a picture of the joke patch or whatever for the EA-18G Shocker complete with two and one lightning bolts coming off the wings.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

This is when I really wish I had a picture of the joke patch or whatever for the EA-18G Shocker complete with two and one lightning bolts coming off the wings.

It is a good patch.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There was another one that had "two in the pink, one in the stink" but in Latin, IIRC.

edit: here we go

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 7, 2014

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Cold War-ish...

Everything about Japan fascinates me, from the high tech toilets to this...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=726_1399469699

Japanese hype video for war w/ China

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Dark Helmut posted:

Cold War-ish...

Uhhh, is that a Death's Head on a Chinese submarine being chased by Japanese fighters?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They seem well prepared.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYZiTqenJs

Here's the video for Textron's T-RAM. The music really makes it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I wish Textron got a deal to distribute the Viggen; the videos would be loving awesome.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Dark Helmut posted:

Cold War-ish...

Love the Top Gun music at the end of that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If any of you watched Colbert recently, you know that the New Yorker sent a reporter to Hiroshima in the summer of 1946 to record eyewitness accounts of the first atomic bomb used on human targets. The full text is available online but in a difficult to read format. I did some find/replace-fu on it to make the format more readable, although paragraph indentations for all 76 pages are beyond the span of my patience. I think this is relevant to this thread as this is the first print article describing first-hand the horrors of nuclear war ever to hit the world presses. If you saw the Colbert interview, you know that the New Yorker devoted their entire edition to this story and the entire issue (for the at-that-time weekly periodical) was sold out within 12 hours.

The document is 80 pages and thus obviously beyond the text limit of a post(!) but I've uploaded the file here. I've left in .doc format so you can fix the paragraph indentation as you go if you want to make it more readable.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That article was also reprinted as the book Hiroshima, by John Hersey. It's been in non-stop publication since 1946, has some ungodly number of millions of copies out there, is required reading in countless high school and university courses, and is one of the major early texts in the New Journalism that was really important in the third quarter of the 20th century. It's an obscenely famous book. You can get used copies for pennies on Amazon if you don't want to gently caress with a .pdf, and I'm pretty sure you can get it in all your favorite e-reader formats for pretty cheap given how common it is as a required book in both History and Journalism courses.

edit: Amazon link

The thought that there might be people who are being introduced to this via Colbert makes me alternatively want to cheer and cry.

edit x2: it really is an amazing book and should pretty much be required reading for anyone who wants to talk about the Cold War or nuclear policy.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 8, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Maybe shove a copy of it on google docs then people can prod a bit of the editing as they go?

Edit: oh hey already in book form.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Better link to a better format of the text online. http://www.forgottenbooks.org/readbook_text/Hiroshima_1000634030/1

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Was the Colbert thing as anti-bomb as Jon Stewart was?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

That article was also reprinted as the book Hiroshima, by John Hersey. It's been in non-stop publication since 1946, has some ungodly number of millions of copies out there, is required reading in countless high school and university courses, and is one of the major early texts in the New Journalism that was really important in the third quarter of the 20th century. It's an obscenely famous book. You can get used copies for pennies on Amazon if you don't want to gently caress with a .pdf, and I'm pretty sure you can get it in all your favorite e-reader formats for pretty cheap given how common it is as a required book in both History and Journalism courses.

edit: Amazon link

The thought that there might be people who are being introduced to this via Colbert makes me alternatively want to cheer and cry.

edit x2: it really is an amazing book and should pretty much be required reading for anyone who wants to talk about the Cold War or nuclear policy.

The thing has been on my dad's bookshelf for my whole life (he has a great collection of history) but because of the cover art I assumed it was a novel and never picked it up. I feel like there's a lesson here that could be easily summed up in a pithy phrase...

Now I live on the other side of the world from my dad's bookshelf.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

No, the Colbert interview was mostly about the publishing aspect of it and the impact. As for the moral question, the German Jesuit survivors laid it out very succinctly. Either total war is immoral, and the bomb is immoral, or total war is acceptable and the bomb is acceptable. Fortunately the world has never had to wrestle with the moral question of total war ever again after world war 2, probably because of the existence of the bomb.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 9, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

Steward went back on that the next day (if you mean the one I think you mean, it has been a few years).

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Outta the way!

Новое: Как боевики Национальной Гвардии таранили …: http://youtu.be/m49dYtVeoNg

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I am at my librarian's desk, shaking visibly in rage, frothing at the mouth, spilling decaf on my cat calendar.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Insane Totoro posted:

I am at my librarian's desk, shaking visibly in rage, frothing at the mouth, spilling decaf on my cat calendar.

There there little librarian, it's OK. Books still matter.

Well they still matter to me

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Cyrano4747 posted:

*shoots a full mag of 22LR through suppressed Buckmark into old edition of the Schöffler-Weis dictionary*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Cyrano4747 posted:

How quaint. :allears: