Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Why would you ever not backstab the lionmen? They have the largest backstab window of any enemy. Just roll through their single swing and bs 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I swear to god, I love/hate the Great and Large Clubs so much. On the one hand they do so much damage, on the other hand you can't swing them at thin air without exploding off 25% of their durability. They decay like they've been dipped in acid.

(This is hyperbole but sadly not by much)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

On NG+ you could also just run past all those lions and go straight to the boss. It's not like you are really missing anything worthwhile.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Oblivious posted:

I swear to god, I love/hate the Great and Large Clubs so much. On the one hand they do so much damage, on the other hand you can't swing them at thin air without exploding off 25% of their durability. They decay like they've been dipped in acid.

(This is hyperbole but sadly not by much)

Nope that sounds about right. Especially when you get the Malformed Skull. Kick rear end weapon to raw, but goddamn the durability on it is SO poo poo even with a +2 ring.

edit: Yeah just like Geno said, backstab them. Their attack swing is so huge it takes them a bit to recover. Just roll and bam, backstab. Or if you don't, you can always do the backstep to make them whiff their swing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Liquid Penguins posted:

How do I protect myself from cheaters? Just pull the internet? I don't want to be punished by rear end in a top hat cheaters anymore. The game stopped being fun.

You can burn bonfire ascetics in order to avoid pvp, but it wears off after awhile so if you really never want to ever then just go to offline mode.

But everybody spent a long time in DS1 staying hollowed, scared of invasions, avoiding them. But when you finally get over the anxiety (and the frustration of occasional hackers), once you stop worrying and love the invasion, the game becomes a lot more fun. I spend more time in ratbro and bellbro domains than anywhere else because its the fastest way to get invaded. And I used to really fear invasion in DS1, when everybody knew the game better than me, and hackers were stupidly prevalent. But still, its worth a few frustrating deaths in order to have some pvp shenanigans.

And if you're playing DS2 right using the ring(s) of life protection, dying really isn't a big deal. Especially with ratbro invasions :)

I'm not going to say you're wrong to play it that way, and its cool that videogames can appeal to different people, so if you really must play single player then just go to offline mode and play that way. But I strongly suggest you try to hang in there, because invasions cause some really amazing moments. And are you really getting invaded that often? Invasions are pretty rare for me so far.

Also if you just start the game and then pull the plug, the game will go to offline mode, and then you can plug it back in and sign back into steam and everything, once the game is in 'offline mode' it stays that way until you go to the start screen and select 'go online'

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Liquid Penguins posted:

How do I protect myself from cheaters? Just pull the internet? I don't want to be punished by rear end in a top hat cheaters anymore. The game stopped being fun.

You can burn a human effigy or even better, put steam into offline mode. I've been invaded well over 100 times though (and done close to 500 invasions myself) and the only cheaters I've ever seen were hosts forced into PvP, so I find the idea that you are getting invaded by cheaters somewhat unlikely.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

You can burn bonfire ascetics in order to avoid pvp, but it wears off after awhile so if you really never want to ever then just go to offline mode.

I know you just mistyped here, but it's the human effigy you burn to avoid online play.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Shindragon posted:

That's what I did. :v:

I was using a mudane build gimmick and basically at the point getting 5 levels was going to be a pain (roughly 135k souls for me at that point) so I was like gently caress it bought the ring and yeah lighting infused Dragon Chime is basically the most powerful lighting based chime in the game.
What would be a good second if I haven't done Darklurker yet?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You burn Human Effigies to cut off multiplayer functions, not ascetics. Ascetics ratchet the area up to the next iteration of NG+

And to be fair, people were largely right to be afraid of invasions and stay hollow all the time in DS1. 9 times out of 10 your invader was most likely going to be using swole rear end gear you couldn't possibly hope to deal with yet. DS2 invasions have been a lot more satisfying all around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shindragon posted:

Nope that sounds about right. Especially when you get the Malformed Skull. Kick rear end weapon to raw, but goddamn the durability on it is SO poo poo even with a +2 ring.

Malformed skull has 20 durability so its supposed to decay ridiculously fast. The average durability of a weapon is around 60. It does suck though since I was gonna have a character dual wield malformed skulls but then I found out the durability is atrocious.

You burn Human Effigies to cut off multiplayer functions, not ascetics. Ascetics ratchet the area up to the next iteration of NG+

And to be fair, people were largely right to be afraid of invasions and stay hollow all the time in DS1. 9 times out of 10 your invader was most likely going to be using swole rear end gear you couldn't possibly hope to deal with yet. DS2 invasions have been a lot more satisfying all around.

Invasions were a lot less common in Dark Souls just because you could really only be invaded in an area once. You use humanity to kindle a bonfire, but beyond that you don't need to stay human. So if you get invaded and killed, that's it. Or if you tumble off a ledge a second after kindling the bonfire, that's it as well. The invasion window was very small compared to Dark Souls 2.

And yet, I still never get invaded until I get to the high SLs were being invaded isn't fun.

VVV Well with the malformed skull the description says "a delicate specimen, one too fragile to be swung around carelessly" so it says its gonna break easily. As for the other clubs though they have fine durability so I guess there one of the weapons that suffers from the contact issue. I don't get why they didn't just make durability work off a per swing basis rather than the amount of time it makes contact.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 9, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Malformed skull has 20 durability so its supposed to decay ridiculously fast. The average durability of a weapon is around 60. It does suck though since I was gonna have a character dual wield malformed skulls but then I found out the durability is atrocious.

Yeah that's the thing that drives me nuts. Some weapons seem to have hidden durability factors that you have no way of knowing about until you swing the weapon around. Pursuer's Greatsword has 60 Durability, Large/Great Clubs have 70. Yet the Large/Great Club will decay a million times faster. :iiam:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Asehujiko posted:

What would be a good second if I haven't done Darklurker yet?

Witchtree bellvine. Though you need the ancient key to get that.

third option is the Pries't Chime.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The lion warriors are easy, but sometimes (rarely) they will chain that first attack into a big jumpin' slammin' combo and it can gently caress you up really bad if you didn't anticipate it.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
<--- victim of the Covetous Demon :saddowns: . Easiest of bosses, not sure what happened other than I was caught off guard by him the first time. So I went back collected my souls and was loving devoured. Suddenly naked and panicking, I pulled out the quickest weapon I could find: a standard dagger. Needless to say, he was gutted in a minute. I'm a pitiful Dark Souls player, but that was awesome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I am really glad I have never performed badly enough in that fight to get eaten.

Really, really glad. That boss is so gross :gonk:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey don't devs have to specifically submit a cheating tool to be included in VAC detection? Like, thats what it say in the FAQ thing?

Because it'd be a huge dick move for FROM to submit GeDoSaDo or whatsit as a cheat program.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

A minute ago I had a guy I was assisting die to the Covetous Demon in literally ten seconds. :v:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
If it does the roll you can get screwed if you were close to a wall and he pushes you up against it, that's the only time I ever died.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

VisAbsoluta posted:

A minute ago I had a guy I was assisting die to the Covetous Demon in literally ten seconds. :v:

It's probably the most embarrassing thing to do in DS2 but Covetous does have a OHKO or two... :negative:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nobody I've summoned for the executioner's chariot has ever lived until the chariot's second pass. Most of the hosts I've assisted have died early on too. I've seen a lot of people just immediately die to the first two skeletons.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think someone asked early on in the thread, but I never saw an answer: is there a way to get rid of the pointer that appears whenever you open a menu and sticks around for a couple seconds after you leave the menu? I tried disconnecting my mouse's antenna, but that didn't do anything. Is it detecting the touchpad?

Did my first run as a halberd and twin dragon greatshield-wielding impression of a final fantasy dragoon (falconer set + hunter's cap) with pyro backup. Now I'm going for all the spells, and sorcery is definitely a lot weaker out of the gate than it was in DS1, with a major hump to get over in the form of the Ruin Sentinels if you want to start getting the good stuff. Water Giants are also nasty, taking nearly a full attunement of GSA to kill and shrugging off the fire longsword I use as backup.

In general it seems a lot harder to make an early-game rush to certain strategies like you could in DS1 with things like getting a fire great scythe in 10 minutes from arriving at Firelink or freeing Griggs before you even fight a boss.

I get what they were trying to do with soul memory, but it really seems like it will make it hard out there for a sunbro.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Finished NG last night. I didn't mean to play a caster, it just sorta... happened. I was excited about infusions scaling with stats, and went faith to get rad lightning swords. It just turned out that 90% of the boss fights that meant spamming lightning spears was a better option. Oh well.

I don't like the short duration of the Defender's Greatsword buff. What's another fun, big weapon that gets good lightning scaling that I can use with sunlight blade?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is there any point to sticking to the abyss covenant after beating up the boss at the end? I made sure to get all the reward goodies and now I can dump wheelchair grandpa off at the nearest home right?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Giant Isopod posted:

Finished NG last night. I didn't mean to play a caster, it just sorta... happened. I was excited about infusions scaling with stats, and went faith to get rad lightning swords. It just turned out that 90% of the boss fights that meant spamming lightning spears was a better option. Oh well.

I don't like the short duration of the Defender's Greatsword buff. What's another fun, big weapon that gets good lightning scaling that I can use with sunlight blade?

Honestly just wear the Lingering Dragoncrest +1, when using the Defender's. The increased duration more than makes up for the 15 seconds that Defender's loses versus Sunlight, and it's a really good ring to have in general for GMB and Sacred Oath and other self buff tom foolery that Faith does.

Paracelsus posted:

I think someone asked early on in the thread, but I never saw an answer: is there a way to get rid of the pointer that appears whenever you open a menu and sticks around for a couple seconds after you leave the menu? I tried disconnecting my mouse's antenna, but that didn't do anything. Is it detecting the touchpad?

Did my first run as a halberd and twin dragon greatshield-wielding impression of a final fantasy dragoon (falconer set + hunter's cap) with pyro backup. Now I'm going for all the spells, and sorcery is definitely a lot weaker out of the gate than it was in DS1, with a major hump to get over in the form of the Ruin Sentinels if you want to start getting the good stuff. Water Giants are also nasty, taking nearly a full attunement of GSA to kill and shrugging off the fire longsword I use as backup.

In general it seems a lot harder to make an early-game rush to certain strategies like you could in DS1 with things like getting a fire great scythe in 10 minutes from arriving at Firelink or freeing Griggs before you even fight a boss.

I get what they were trying to do with soul memory, but it really seems like it will make it hard out there for a sunbro.

Soul Memory has serious problems, but Sunbros are pretty much the last people suffering from it, if at all :v:

Sunbroing is easy as it could possibly be.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

Is there any point to sticking to the abyss covenant after beating up the boss at the end? I made sure to get all the reward goodies and now I can dump wheelchair grandpa off at the nearest home right?
Yeah. Once you've done the boss there's nothing left.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cowcaster posted:

I think there's something with invasions you can do through the covenant and wheelchair grandpa sells a lot of bonfire ascetics if you need them.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

As far as covenants are concerned, as soon as you hit rank 3 in it, you're completely done when it comes to rewards. So if that's a concern of yours, then yeah, abandon it and pick up another if you'd like.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm so drat frustrated with being unable to consistently do jump attacks/guard breaks, has anyone swapped controllers and found it fixed the issue? I'm beginning to think it might be an issue with my controller. There are people who can do it 100% of the time, and it's not like "up+r1" is complicated.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Broken Cog posted:

You can skip the Grave of Saints by falling a bit further down the Majula hole. There's a passage there that leads directly to the room with the exploding dudes.

poo poo, I skipped Grave of Saints entirely then.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

THE PWNER posted:

I'm so drat frustrated with being unable to consistently do jump attacks/guard breaks, has anyone swapped controllers and found it fixed the issue? I'm beginning to think it might be an issue with my controller. There are people who can do it 100% of the time, and it's not like "up+r1" is complicated.

Apparently that is a glitch with some controllers. Try a different one.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

THE PWNER posted:

I've got two controllers (same model even) and can do it consistently on one of them but not the other. Too bad the one I can do it on has a shot L1 :negative:

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

How's your sorcery? If you have at least 19 intelligence, use the Yearn spell on these guys. They'll turn their back to you and you can take off basically all their health with a decent backstab. I think Alluring Skulls will also do this if you can't cast the spell. It's great for handling groups of them.

If it's just one lion guy, their attacks are telegraphed from a mile away so it's easier to just bait them, dodge/backstep, take a few swings, repeat.

Thanks, its just the two that are together that are annoying me, but I guess I can just run through to the boss like someone mentioned. Its hard to know what I should look for in NG+.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For the guy who wants to get rid of his mouse pointer: the latest gedosato version has an option for it in the ini file

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

buzzsaw.gif posted:

And let's not forget the Crystal Ring Shield at release. You could literally one-shot everything in the Tomb of Giants without even upgrading it.

That went along very well with the Havelflipping Wogtwoppers.

Never forget Iron Flesh woooo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdcKGWmZMs

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Cowcaster posted:

I think it's just a unique summon when someone summons you. It looks like you're coming through a dark gate or something.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Yeah that's the thing that drives me nuts. Some weapons seem to have hidden durability factors that you have no way of knowing about until you swing the weapon around. Pursuer's Greatsword has 60 Durability, Large/Great Clubs have 70. Yet the Large/Great Club will decay a million times faster. :iiam:

It is not a mystery. It's a bug with the lovely console-specific code being shoddily ported to PC. The amount of damage the weapon takes is dependent on how many frames the animation of a weapon is collided with various geometry. The PC, running at 60fps, eats durability much faster on weapons that swing slowly through bodies or walls.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

The durability loss bug only affects corpses, not walls. Swings "through walls" don't count as wall hits either, only when your weapon clangs against and rebounds from a wall.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Genocyber posted:

Apparently that is a glitch with some controllers. Try a different one.

Anyone have any suggestions that they know work?

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

THE PWNER posted:

Does autohotkey work with controllers? I use something similar to autohotkey for my k+m setup, and I can execute those moves with the press of a single button on my mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I could use some character advice from the local muscle wizards.

This is my dual fist sunbro. I just fought Mirror Knight and he took like 10 minutes to kill. Not because I'm bad at the fight, just because I don't do enough damage. I was hitting him for like 50 damage per punch which is pathetic. I have a +10 lightning fist and a +10 dark fist so upgrades aren't the problem. Now duo fists sucking shouldn't be a surprise but I've heard people here talk like its legitimately good for damage which I'm just not seeing at all. What kind of build do I need to go to get better damage? Should I respec into more strength? I'm willing to do so as I don't care much about having high faith; I only went into faith for the cleric spells. The only offensive one I use is lightning spear and I don't plan on using the other ones just because I don't like faith offensively.