Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
If a psycho ghoul can handle it every night, a childe with power beyond her station should be able to murder up a graveyard full of stiffs, provided you're playing the right clan. The one with Matrix bullet-time, or the other one with murder claws, or the bloodsplosion one, or the stealth murder one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

gatz posted:

So Romero knows about the occult, but as long as he's just content to kill zombies, everything's okay. Just keep that guy shooting zombies, he's a psycho.

Did you miss the part where he says he's Isaac's ghoul?

I was a Gangrel on my first playthrough and I chose to kill zombies. Turns out Protean claws are actually useless because the need to get to melee range saps a lot of the time you need to run between the two exits. On the plus side, headshots with pretty much any gun work wonders, so it's mostly a matter of making sure you're completely stocked on bullets and various guns before going in.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Did you miss the part where he says he's Isaac's ghoul?

Yes. You'd probably be rusty too if you took a month break from your Deus Ex LP. There's also the fact that I recorded this footage back in March... but yeah, I messed up. I'll go back and edit what I said.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

J.theYellow posted:

Also, seriously, gently caress the actual zombie shooting gallery. Unless the fan patches somehow made it easier, it's drat near impossible, just by the sheer size of the graveyard and how you have to cover two sides of it separately.

I managed it once with a Brujah with maxed out Celerity and a katana, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

I managed it once with a Brujah with maxed out Celerity and a katana, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

I never managed it, but I never played a vamp with Celerity either.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

J.theYellow posted:

Also, seriously, gently caress the actual zombie shooting gallery. Unless the fan patches somehow made it easier, it's drat near impossible, just by the sheer size of the graveyard and how you have to cover two sides of it separately.

I've only ever been able to pull that off with a shitload of celerity.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Due to the way the graveyard is set up there's not even a decent sniper's nest. That's a basic flaw in game design right there.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
I beat this with alot of practice, high guns skills, and maxed celerity. It was still supreme bullshit though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Surprised to hear how much trouble people had with the zombies. I remember it being kind of a pain, but not the nightmare others are describing. This was as a Gangrel, not sure if I used weapons or just unarmed.

gatz posted:

As for your point on internet cafes, what I've noticed is that the people who would go use them to check their email and stuff like that are now using public libraries for that purpose.

There are still tons of "internet cafes" in Melbourne, but most of the ones I've seen are just a few computers in an unrelated business, like a convenience store or something. I don't know who's using them though, since, as you say, you can just go to a library instead. There's also the places that have a bunch of computers set up for gaming, which I imagine will also let you use the internet, but I'm guessing that's probably even more expensive than the ones in convenience stores.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

gatz posted:

As for your point on internet cafes, what I've noticed is that the people who would go use them to check their email and stuff like that are now using public libraries for that purpose.

Just a few years back, they were great when travelling. I used them all the time, looking up hostels and such. They are even redundant for that now however, since, in most places, every coffee shop seems to have free WiFi, and even if you don't have a laptop or tablet, using your phone is quite enough.

As for the zombie thing, there is a crypt close to the shack that you can get on top on with a little fiddling. It is not perfect and you have to jump down now and again to handle some zombies, but that is an ok sniping spot.
Also, do you need a certain level of social skills to be able to offer just getting the hooker for Romero? I have a half memory of not having the option when playing, just deciding to skip the quest for most of my runs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'll join the chorus that the shoot'em up option is bullshit. And as a bit of a extra info, the stat boost will boost your firearms skill by 1 if it is currently less than 3 (I think the wesp mod increases this to 4).

Thesaya posted:

As for the zombie thing, there is a crypt close to the shack that you can get on top on with a little fiddling. It is not perfect and you have to jump down now and again to handle some zombies, but that is an ok sniping spot.

Does it provide line of sight on both gates?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man I feel bad about Samantha. Is there any potential followup to that, or is that the end to her questline?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pvt.Scott posted:

If a psycho ghoul can handle it every night, a childe with power beyond her station should be able to murder up a graveyard full of stiffs, provided you're playing the right clan. The one with Matrix bullet-time, or the other one with murder claws, or the bloodsplosion one, or the stealth murder one.

Yeah, if you're the talky one with the snooty tastes, you're not exactly going to do a lot against zombies. I barely managed to make it in my Ventrue run - in my Toreador run, I just said "gently caress it" and got him a prostitute. Much easier option.

5 posted:

<Subject> GOODS
<From> [email]Sethiroph@SOL.vtm

I just straight snatched the new Troika game. If you haxxor the code you can unlock clan Chocula!

Also, there's a bit of an oddity with this e-mail. There's a console command you can use (vclan) that allows you to change your clan, and "Chocula" is a legit option in there (vclan player_chocula, even if it doesn't show up in the autocomplete). However, it just crashes the game on my end. It's unknown whether that was intended or it was a cut easter egg that would have allowed you to play as a hunter (according to the error message, which wants to load a hunter model that isn't there), which might have been some way to do a super hard mode - playing without disciplines.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

gatz posted:

A question arises from this encounter. We just met Samantha in Hollywood, alone. Does that mean that she lives in Hollywood? Maybe. If so, where does that place Melissa? We don't know. She could've lived in Hollywood, but then the night of her embrace, she was in Downtown -- in LaCroix's domain. Ultimately there isn't enough information to know for sure. Did both Samantha and Melissa live in Hollywood? Maybe so, and they went downtown the night of Melissa's embrace. Maybe they live in different cities, etc. It ultimately doesn't matter."

I think this is one of the best written encounters in the game. It comes as a shock out of nowhere, and just makes you think about your character. Who are you? Who is this person confronting you? There are several reasons to say or do anything in that moment, and the game actually accommodates most of them. You're just put you right into this conversation that you know goes nowhere. You were embraced a short while ago, so it makes sense that people you knew in your mortal life would be looking for you. Too bad you're a vampire now. How do you deal with the life you left behind?

My favorite solution is when you're low humanity you'll just automatically frenzy and kill Samantha on the spot, and have to deal with the consequences.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

double nine posted:

I'll join the chorus that the shoot'em up option is bullshit. And as a bit of a extra info, the stat boost will boost your firearms skill by 1 if it is currently less than 3 (I think the wesp mod increases this to 4).

Does it provide line of sight on both gates?

It gives line of sight to one, and of the path leading to the upper one. Thus, now and then you have to run up and clear the zombies that spawned right by the upper gates.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I tried doing the zombie killing on my melee character, but the zombies in the graveyard have the same attacks as those in that plague-spreader hideout. They grab you and bite you, it does a ton of damage and takes a long time to complete, so every attack they land delays you a ton. I tried to stay away, using a pistol at short range, but ran out of time. Didn't know there was an alternative way to complete this guy's request with the prostitute, so I just skipped him.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

gatz posted:

...out of sight, the sound of a manhole opening, a gasp...

...and he's nowhere to be found as we turn the corner.
If you go down the manhole, you’ll find a bunch of blood and another free severed arm! :drac:

(I like to keep one in the fridge in case I guests get hungry.) :v:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I believe the joke is Count Chocula. I don't know if it's only an American cereal. If they were real nerds, they would have gone with Count Duckula, which I only know about because they used to air it on Nickelodeon about 20 years ago here in the States. I miss Danger Mouse. :smith:

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
This guy manages to get through the graveyard with just a Magnum, just to clarify why this quest sucks so much. This link skips ahead past some stuff that would be a spoiler for this particular LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEhAeUjc-aY&t=77s

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
e: beaten

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I believe the joke is Count Chocula. I don't know if it's only an American cereal. If they were real nerds, they would have gone with Count Duckula, which I only know about because they used to air it on Nickelodeon about 20 years ago here in the States. I miss Danger Mouse. :smith:

Pretty sure Count Chocula is America-specific. That said, it's pretty well-known in other English-speaking countries now thanks to the proliferation of American media. And yes, Count Duckula and Danger Mouse were both awesome.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'm kinda sad I only discovered internet cafes when their popularity was dying down. Go to a place and play on one of their computers for games I don't have but still wanna try out, stuff like that. Could even bring your computer tower and just hook up everything like that if you wanted. Even the few times I went though, I already noticed the problem with internet cafes; they're already kinda like comic/hobby stores. There's a specific group of regulars that go to the business, and the business has its own ecosystem, for better or for worse. If you didn't like the surroundings, you weren't going to stick around in there for long.

The cafes I went to had either Call of Duty dudebros or people who'd do nothing but play League of Legends, for example. Loud and rowdy a good chunk of the time I was there. The sodas and energy drinks they offered didn't help either.

edit: Closest I got to the feeling I was looking for in an internet cafe was an impromptu Killing Floor game. Was pretty cool to have a group of people all in the same room playing the game. Was hoping for more stuff like that with games like Unreal Tournament, but oh well.

tlarn fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 3, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man I feel bad about Samantha. Is there any potential followup to that, or is that the end to her questline?

That encounter is the start and end to it. If you can't talk her out of it, or Dominate or Dementate her, she moseys toward a pay phone and makes a call, and then you get hit with a Masquerade violation. You have a chance to kill her, feed on her, or stun her with a power before she gets to the phone. Stunning her is enough to prevent the violation but she tends to stand there like a dope for the rest of the game.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

IMJack posted:

That encounter is the start and end to it. If you can't talk her out of it, or Dominate or Dementate her, she moseys toward a pay phone and makes a call, and then you get hit with a Masquerade violation. You have a chance to kill her, feed on her, or stun her with a power before she gets to the phone. Stunning her is enough to prevent the violation but she tends to stand there like a dope for the rest of the game.

I've never failed or frenzied that encounter. Pretty sure if you're a fishmalk you can convince her you're her pet turtle to pass the check. Which is funny, because you'd think she'd try to bring you home then and cause an even bigger violation. Something for Wesp maybe. :v:

At any rate, the graveyard shoot em up is easily worse than than that... other part and I don't know why it doesn't get the rage it deserves. Probably because it's optional.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DeusExMachinima posted:

I've never failed or frenzied that encounter. Pretty sure if you're a fishmalk you can convince her you're her pet turtle to pass the check. Which is funny, because you'd think she'd try to bring you home then and cause an even bigger violation. Something for Wesp maybe. :v:

At any rate, the graveyard shoot em up is easily worse than than that... other part and I don't know why it doesn't get the rage it deserves. Probably because it's optional.

Yeah it's miserable, but you can just hook him up with a prostitute and not bother with it. Worst case is sometimes the game is dumb about having her follow you in and she gets lost someplace and you have to go find another one.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Because win or lose at least it doesn't take that long. Difficulty was never the primary issue with that.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I only tried the zombie shootout sidequest once and barely passed it (judging from how bashed up the gates were) thanks to a high level Celerity on my gun-toting cowboy Toreador. I really get the impression that Troika had no clue how to balance the game's combat difficulty at all, and the entire game alternates between encounters that are either pathetically easy or bullshit hard, depending on how you built your character for combat.

It really takes something away from the game, as every combat section is perfectly ready to punish you mercilessly for putting too many points into non-combat skills.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 4, 2014

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DeusExMachinima posted:

Specifically, she apologizes to you for, as a child, flushing you down the toilet when you died. You chat for a bit about how you're dead but that's basically cool, and she leaves.

It's not Wesp.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a shame that's all that's left of your previous life. Not even any old bank accounts or embarrassing photo albums.

Cometchaser
Oct 20, 2008

Being dead's not so bad

gatz posted:

What the hell is up with Samantha's proportions in this picture? It looks like someone enabled Goldeneye's DK mode. Her head is wider than her body.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cometchaser posted:

What the hell is up with Samantha's proportions in this picture? It looks like someone enabled Goldeneye's DK mode. Her head is wider than her body.

When they say it's an early source build, they mean an early source build. Plus she's leaning forward.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Romero's voice reminded me of The King of new vegas fame. That whole segment cracked me up but i had the zombies escaping into hollywood like 6 times and said gently caress it.

Btw, instead of a point in firearms, the guy gave me his trusty ole gun that zooms in way too far to be able to hit anything. :clint:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Humans Among Us posted:

Romero's voice reminded me of The King of new vegas fame.

Fun fact: Romero's voice actor is Brian Mitsoda, who wrote most of the dialogue for this game. He also voiced the TV newscaster.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Samuel Clemens posted:

Fun fact: Romero's voice actor is Brian Mitsoda, who wrote most of the dialogue for this game. He also voiced the TV newscaster.

He does the terrible ending dialogue in Neverwinter Nights 2 as well.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Heir03 posted:

He does the terrible ending dialogue in Neverwinter Nights 2 as well.

poo poo, sorry.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 14, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

UrbicaMortis posted:

neverwinter nights 2 spoilers

I'd appreciate it if you spoiler tag your post, UrbicaMortis. I know it's not a bloodlines spoiler, but it's not fair to others who don't want NWN2 spoiled to read that.

Let me take this time to plug Lt. Danger's fantastic LPs of Neverwinter Nights 2 (okay game) and its expansion, Mask of the Betrayer (really good game). I've thought about LPing Mysteries of Westgate, but obviously that wouldn't come until after Bloodlines is done.

Speaking of Bloodlines, don't expect an update until at least Sunday (the 18th). It's finals week. Starting on Sunday updates will return to their regular schedule of around a few a week or whatever it was before. Thanks for hanging in there, but school work and such has taken up a lot of my time. There's also the fact that my university is repressing student activism, which I've been a pretty active part of, but that's another discussion entirely.

gatz fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 13, 2014

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

gatz posted:

I'd appreciate it if you spoiler tag your post, UrbicaMortis. I know it's not a bloodlines spoiler, but it's not fair to others who don't want NWN2 spoiled to read that.

Let me take this time to plug Lt. Danger's fantastic LPs of Neverwinter Nights 2 (okay game) and its expansion, Mask of the Betrayer (really good game). I've thought about LPing Mysteries of Westgate, but obviously that wouldn't come until after Bloodlines is done.

Speaking of Bloodlines, don't expect an update until at least Sunday (the 18th). It's finals week. Starting on Sunday updates will return to their regular schedule of around a few a week or whatever it was before. Thanks for hanging in there, but school work and such has taken up a lot of my time. There's also the fact that my university is repressing student activism, which I've been a pretty active part of, but that's another discussion entirely.

Both of those LPs were fantastic. Wholeheartedly suggest them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

gatz posted:

It's not a Mask of the Betrayer spoiler so it doesn't really matter.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

JT Jag posted:

It's not a Mask of the Betrayer spoiler so it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, that's pretty tame as far as spoilers go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
A spoiler revealing the end of the game is tame to you? What would be an extreme spoiler, then?

• Locked thread