Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Hitting a bump/crest of a hill and hearing the rpms spike as the suspension unloads....

So good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Hitting a bump/crest of a hill and feeling the front end stay up as you go over it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jose Pointero posted:

Hah, I'm like this too. I was telling a friend the other day, it's like being Samus exploring a hostile alien planet.

I immediately got that vibe after I snapped this pic of my girlfriend taking a picture of a flower, looks like an astronaut with a tricorder or something :3:

Yousomuscle posted:

-Crushing my balls on every pothole

I wear a pair of bicycle shorts (the kind with the padding in the crotch), and it cuts down enormously on ball-smash. Mostly just when I have a pillion, but it also just makes things comfier on all-day excursions. Does make taking a leak a bit more of a PITA (no fly), worth it though.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
When a grizzly biker dude on a harley gives me the "po-po" helmet tap or when grandma in a vino gives me road and a thumbs up or when tank top-hayabusa dudes do the low peace sign thing and i'm in my beat up looking dual sport with a tool box on the back and it's that moment when we're like, one big family maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn.

Filtering and overpassing for sure too.

Dualsport specific, but popping up and down curbs when you can't find parking or (in my neighborhood) hitting a giant pothole or stuff in the road because you blanked out and you know it would gently caress your day up with the bike you didn't choose.

Valet people are always super nice! I don't get it, but I like it.

Not so cool: Wearing a heavy-rear end jacket all the time, even when you go places and are sweating balls. I envy you tank top-hayabusa dude, but I am in training.

Sneezing in your helmet.

Anything about other drivers that pisses me off in a car pisses me off way worse when i'm on a bike.

Z3n posted:

Klr owners are like civic ricers with a PVC obsession.

Tbh I can't even be offended because that's loving funny.

for sale fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 9, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

for sale posted:

Sneezing in your helmet.
Modulars are a godsend.

Yeah, I know, not as good as full, but jesus that's nice.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

slidebite posted:

Modulars are a godsend.

Yeah, I know, not as good as full, but jesus that's nice.

I don't have much issue in a full. Pop open the visor and use your clutch hand to push the helmet down and forward, so your lower lip expands over the bottom of the visor opening.

New content: I love leaning over in a corner and hitting a bump large enough to upset the suspension a bit. Gives you a nice, fun little jolt to remind yourself that your bike still succumbs to the demands of the road.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mguirk the jerk posted:

so your lower lip expands over the bottom of the visor opening.
I just about spit out my drink picturing that in my mind
I think I know what you're talking about, it's what everyone who has a full face tries to do, but it's just no comparison. No spray/snot on your visor or chin guard, no nothing anywhere.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

slidebite posted:

I just about spit out my drink picturing that in my mind
I think I know what you're talking about, it's what everyone who has a full face tries to do, but it's just no comparison. No spray/snot on your visor or chin guard, no nothing anywhere.

My disgusting visor full of bugs and snot is a mark of pride. :colbert:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I love people who will pull over and wave me by. There's one dude who's done it every other morning on my commute in the morning. And today three people within about 3 miles let me by right before the best stretch of my ride home leaving it completely clear for me. Wish there was something more I could do than give them a wave/thumbs up.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Koruthaiolos posted:

I love people who will pull over and wave me by. There's one dude who's done it every other morning on my commute in the morning. And today three people within about 3 miles let me by right before the best stretch of my ride home leaving it completely clear for me. Wish there was something more I could do than give them a wave/thumbs up.

Velcro a mini top hat to the top of your helmet and tip it as you pass.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'll just sneeze against the chin guard (trying to not make it too messy) and clean it off next time I stop. :shrug:

If you're so stuffed you're blasting your visor with snot you should probably be in bed and not out riding anyway.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I was pretty tired/hungover from the night before, and took a nap at my girlfriends, woke up around 6:30. Normally I try not to ride at night but it was kinda unavoidable since I have work tomorrow, forgot how much I love riding at dusk out in the countryside.

Koruthaiolos posted:

I was giving a buddy a lift to the nearest city (about an hour and a half, mostly on a winding 2 lane mountain road with light traffic) a few months ago and had 5-6 consecutive cars pull over to let me pass. I wasn't even going that fast!

There's a series of sweepers coming down a mountain on my Tuesday/Friday commute, and I'm always pretty stoked if I can get a red light right before it, so I can filter to the front and then enjoy them at my own (faster) pace.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 11, 2014

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I've got to say, since I've been riding in Korea, the thing I've learned to love the most is the recovery from a panic break.

So many times trucks love to blow red lights, cyclists skate through crosswalks, or drivers make unsignaled lane changes and I've yet to (knock on wood) drop the bike.

I feel like if I ever ride outside Asia I just won't know how to react, but the nice little adrenaline surge I get when the bike gets squirrley then straightens out is very nice.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pulling up next to scooters and revving your engine. It's ok little guy :unsmith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Pulling up next to scooters and revving your engine. It's ok little guy :unsmith:

I saw two scooters locked in a battle race to the death the other day. They were actually tucking in and leaning their bodies so I'm assuming it was two guys who normally ride bikes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I saw two scooters locked in a battle race to the death the other day. They were actually tucking in and leaning their bodies so I'm assuming it was two guys who normally ride bikes.

Nah, just guys who have seen real motorbikes - cf the way they "change gear" by chopping the throttle for literally no reason other than it makes it sound more like a motorbike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Really? People do that...?

Why not just get a bike :psyduck:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Really? People do that...?

Why not just get a bike :psyduck:

I'm guessing these sorts of people either can't or haven't passed the test for a real motorbike on the UK's graduated licensing scheme, or they can't afford insurance or the higher price of buying a proper small displacement bike (from what I gather, the smaller bikes that you can ride on the beginner tier UK license are rather inflated in price because you have to ride one for a set amount of time before you can even test to get the next tier).

They probably want to get motorcycles, but just can't afford them or legally ride them for various reasons due to :uk:

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm guessing these sorts of people either can't or haven't passed the test for a real motorbike on the UK's graduated licensing scheme, or they can't afford insurance or the higher price of buying a proper small displacement bike (from what I gather, the smaller bikes that you can ride on the beginner tier UK license are rather inflated in price because you have to ride one for a set amount of time before you can even test to get the next tier).

They probably want to get motorcycles, but just can't afford them or legally ride them for various reasons due to :uk:

Kind of, but there are plenty of geared 50cc bikes out there and once you're 17 you can have a real enough 125.

Basically, what was described is the epitome of chaviness. I loving hate teenagers on twist and go's and sincerely believe the law should be changed to remove the CBT and L plater portion completely and force people to do a full bike license.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Digital_Jesus posted:

This was me the other day feeling like a cool guy scooting to the front of some lights, then I heard the roar of a sportsbike coming up behind; so I shuffled over to the side like with my little peasant bike. :ohdear:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Absolutely adorable little kid playing with his mom outside today as I parked the bike.

:kiddo:"...is he one of our neighbors?"
:j: "SHH"

:haw: *Wave and smile*

:kiddo: "I like your bike!"
:haw: "Thanks, I like it too! You've got good taste!"
:kiddo: "Why do you always cover it up?"
:haw: "It's so the sun doesn't fade the paint... uh.."

:kiddo: *blank stare* "What?"

:haw: "To, uh, protect it from the rain and... everything else!"
:kiddo: "Oh, okay."

I'm not really great at talking to kids. Whatever it felt awesome.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fifty Three posted:

Absolutely adorable little kid playing with his mom outside today as I parked the bike.

:kiddo:"...is he one of our neighbors?"
:j: "SHH"

:haw: *Wave and smile*

:kiddo: "I like your bike!"
:haw: "Thanks, I like it too! You've got good taste!"
:kiddo: "Why do you always cover it up?"
:haw: "It's so the sun doesn't fade the paint... uh.."

:kiddo: *blank stare* "What?"

:haw: "To, uh, protect it from the rain and... everything else!"
:kiddo: "Oh, okay."

I'm not really great at talking to kids. Whatever it felt awesome.

I kinda want to adopt the various neighbour kids who seem to have formed a fan club for my bike - whenever I pull up they come charging up to open my gate for me and demand I rev it or blow the horn or run over their little sister (okay that last one's less common). Also they ask profound philosophical questions like "Where's the boost?" and "Can it do jumps?"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I kinda want to adopt the various neighbour kids who seem to have formed a fan club for my bike - whenever I pull up they come charging up to open my gate for me and demand I rev it or blow the horn or run over their little sister (okay that last one's less common). Also they ask profound philosophical questions like "Where's the boost?" and "Can it do jumps?"

"The boost is in your heart, little one."

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

I love puttering through rush hour traffic at 1-3 MPH (literally) and giving "the nod" to drivers attempting to enter the lane from a parking lot or side road. They think I'm being nice, but I'm secretly just trying to keep playing my game of one-man slow drag race! Muahahaha.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just started riding in the states again, on my new to me zrex.

So, have to say: the feel of climbing back on a bike, everything feeling weird at first and then within a mile just a feel of happy calm.

Followed very closely by rolling WOT in second gear from about twenty mph, and just giggling out loud in my helmet because oh my god this is hilarious and I love life.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yuss, that makes three.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Today I used the power (lol) in my new to me klr for the first time . Passed a car tailgating another doing about 5 under the speed limit on a 45 mph blacktopped country road. One blip of the throttle and I was up to sixty, then loosened up to about 50 and I was on way way home at a reasonable speed. Yeehah you slowpoked motherfuckers.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dead Pressed posted:

Today I used the power (lol) in my new to me klr for the first time. Yeehah you slowpoked motherfuckers.

:feelsgood:

1. Empty city roads at three in the morning
2. Rolling on the throttle in a tunnel
3. The acute awareness of smells, especially those right after a rainstorm
4. The comraderie of everyone on two wheels
5. Riding standing up

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dead Pressed posted:

Today I used the power (lol) in my new to me klr for the first time . Passed a car tailgating another doing about 5 under the speed limit on a 45 mph blacktopped country road. One blip of the throttle and I was up to sixty, then loosened up to about 50 and I was on way way home at a reasonable speed. Yeehah you slowpoked motherfuckers.

I've sometimes found myself wishing my bike had an enormous :allears: on the side, for the benefit of every dumb oval office in a riced-up turbo car who tries to race at the lights.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

OSU_Matthew posted:

2. Rolling on the throttle in a tunnel
3. The acute awareness of smells, especially those right after a rainstorm
4. The comraderie of everyone on two wheels
5. Riding standing up

Being a new rider, #4 really kind of blew my mind. When I was waiting for the tow truck after my first incident literally every single motorcyclist who passed by stopped to ask if I needed any help or anything. One old guy with a vintage looking bike with a sidecar and an epic beard even pulled up and was all "Need a ride?". It was really cool, I mean how many people do that for other car drivers?

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Having just moved out to WA after being on Long Island, NY for most of my life.

1) Seeing snow capped mountains on my commute and thinking about riding them once the passes open
2) Being able to strike out in nearly any direction and find awesome roads within an hour
3) Where I am (Redmond) people seem to all be driving very nice cars (due to MS most likely) and they like a race
4) Flying up the HOV lane on 520 while all the cars with one person wait for the metered ramps
5) Being out in the vastly fresher than NY air all the time, especially on a slightly crisp morning

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mister Duck posted:

1) Seeing snow capped mountains on my commute and thinking about riding them once the passes open
2) Being able to strike out in nearly any direction and find awesome roads within an hour
3) Where I am (Redmond) people seem to all be driving very nice cars (due to MS most likely) and they like a race
4) Flying up the HOV lane on 520 while all the cars with one person wait for the metered ramps
5) Being out in the vastly fresher than NY air all the time, especially on a slightly crisp morning

This is pretty much my wife, who moved from upstate NY out here to Portland to live with me.

Also, enjoy not having half the vehicles on the road not being rusted out hulks, and enjoy your 2 days of snow each year combined with warm, dry summers.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mister Duck posted:

They're open and clear! Rode Highway 2 over Stevens last week and it was glorious, it was in the mid 70's, nut there was still snowpack near the highway, and it caused gusts of ~40 degree wind to hit you ever few miles, one of the best rides I've ever been on, plus, ride up to Leavenworth and enjoy some sausage!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Very late night and early morning rides are the best. Think I'll be taking mine out for a romp downtown tomorrow morning.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is the best, especially if you have cool landmarks to ride around.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Elviscat posted:

They're open and clear! Rode Highway 2 over Stevens last week and it was glorious, it was in the mid 70's, nut there was still snowpack near the highway, and it caused gusts of ~40 degree wind to hit you ever few miles, one of the best rides I've ever been on, plus, ride up to Leavenworth and enjoy some sausage!

I'll have to check it out, thanks. This weekend I am riding down to Yakima canyon with a friend and I was looking at Mt Rainier and most of those roads were listed as closed so I just assumed. Either way, every weekend is basically exploration time now.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
New rider, been commuting and tooling around on an EX500 for the better part of a month now. Got an itch to go for a ride last night and found myself on a big empty stretch of frontage road.

Rolled on WOT in 3rd........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :hawaaaafap:

Yes. That. More.

additionally:

1. the camaraderie from completely unexpected people
2. engaging with the bike in a way that I have never experienced in any other mode of transportation. The thing will talk to you constantly if you let it.
3. the fact that in such an increasingly safety-obsessed world I can still go hurtling down the street straddling an engine with wheels.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Very late night and early morning rides are the best. Think I'll be taking mine out for a romp downtown tomorrow morning.

I'm not a fan of late night stuff because it's cold and dark and all the drunks and idiots are out. But I love riding in the slowly brightening gray morning mist before anyone else is up and about yet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not a fan of late night stuff because it's cold and dark and all the drunks and idiots are out. But I love riding in the slowly brightening gray morning mist before anyone else is up and about yet.

4 in the morning in summer is always special. If nothing else you get the feeling that anyone you see on the road is very definitely there for a good reason and not just loving around (even if you're just loving around yourself).

In my dumber (cooler) years if I couldn't sleep I'd head out around dawn and I'd go try and beat my lap record round my little personal GP track, from the Tower of London down to Trafalgar Square, then back through the City around St. Pauls and back through the Aldgate One-Way:

Most nights I'd barely see another soul apart from the occasional porter heading to Smithfield and a couple of night buses. It was just so spooky (and so, so much fun) to be hitting three figures on that long run down by the river and along London Wall, and diving around those long sweepers at Aldwych and Aldgate at >60, in an area that has a daytime population way over a million. There's just no better way of getting your brain back in tune.

(Nowadays I'm much more sensible of course, the fact that I don't do it any more has *nothing* to do with the proliferation of CCTV and speed cameras in the area, thank you so bloody loving much IRA)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

One of the things I missed when I quit my previous job was having my sleep schedule all hosed up and waking up at 2:00 a.m. to start my day. I would venture out for food and I found some of the best eats from places that are open 24/7 in San Antonio - oh, how I miss Chacho's :allears:.

Plus, I got to miss out on all the sun/heat while riding.

• Locked thread