Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This is the 99th page. The next one is gonna be a doozy and an half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm on mobile, can someone post the alt text.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/463578284484091904

Alt text: *eightfold pulls out gun*

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm on mobile, can someone post the alt text.

If by mobile you mean ios/safari, you can just hold down on the comic to see it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You are good people for those phone postin'. This is the only webcomic thread I follow where posting a link to the new page is rare.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
After a while, alligator

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Eightfold's lower eye is crying in the second-last panel.

:smith:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Made me think of this: (pro-read)

http://heliologue.com/site_archive/lavender/pdf/NightInQuestion.pdf

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The fact we still know it's coming and it happens. It still sucks.

Edit: I can see Isabel blaming Max for this... but the same time, I kinda see her blaming Spender moreso for teaming her up with the newbie.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 9, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Shindragon posted:

Edit: I can see Isabel blaming Max for this... but the same time, I kinda see her blaming Spender moreso for teaming her up with the newbie.

I would hope she'd actually process what Eightfold is saying here. Max really had nothing to do with her losing the book, and once the dogthing knocked it off the train, she wasn't getting it back. We'll see how it plays out.

And blaming Spender might be more justified.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 9, 2014

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I was told this comic was about cool friends doing ghost things. Instead it's about to kill an origami spider. :saddowns:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Having Mort from Gunnerkrigg and Eight-fold from Paranatural die on the one day is not cool.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Roger Explosion posted:

Having Mort from Gunnerkrigg and Eight-fold from Paranatural die on the one day is not cool.

Wish it'd been Mort from the Anime Club instead

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Roger Explosion posted:

I mean, neither of them were alive.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Fecha posted:

I mean, neither of them were alive.
Ba-dum tsss

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eightfold isn't gonna die she's just gonna be trapped underground until her prison rots apart :buddy:

Anybody else notice that her lower eye is tearing up?

Edit: I suddenly feel very, very sorry for the cursedogs :unsmigghh:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 9, 2014

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Even its last moments, she's adorable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She's not going to actually die dammit :v:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

We choose to willfully ignore that she's not gonna die because being stuck forever in a mine while your corporeal vessel slowly rots is worse.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 9, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

We choose to willfully ignore that she's not gonna die because being stuck forever in a mine while your corporeal vessel slowly rots is worse.

Man how long do you think an unprotected book is going to last underground?

The real concern is a) Eightfold will be stuck outside of the shieldbubblewallbarrier thing (what's it called again?) and b) Eightfold's liable to get noshed on by your average passing feral spirit :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"And by later I mean never"

:smith:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Calm down, Eightfold's not dead yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

For a thread frequently using the word "anime" to describe people and events in this comic you guys are pretty quick to just assume Eightfold will be gone forever.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Eightfolds gone forever.

Also in like ten chapters she's gonna get dug up and show up held hostage by big bad to make Isabel betray the team or whatever.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

At bare minimum Eightfold's gone for the foreseeable future, we just spent seven pages on her goodbye to Isabel. Not about to get dug up again by the end of the chapter.

There's also a really good chance Isabel will hold this against Max (and/or Spender for teaming her with the newbie) as a way to externalize her guilt for losing her best friend. Eightfold said some heavy things about how she's been taught not to see spirits as people, and how that might've caused her to save Max first while just seeing Eightfold as a thing - that's a hell of a lot for a kid to process, it's going to take time for the full implications to sink in.

It's weird to think the story's still in its "early days" of building conflicts and setting up the personal growth obstacles characters have to overcome. At this rate Paranatural's going to have to run for a decade.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

"Gone Forever" in anime terms means Eightfold can return in a year being four times as large, missing a corner, talking about how hard it is out there and being a bad guy (or a good guy returning at the right moment to save the day when poo poo gets real).

Like Whitenoise Poster said it could also mean Eightfold is going to be dug up and used as leverage to make Isabel betray the team (if Zak wants to risk infuriating Tumblr by having a not white person betray the team. That seems like something Tumblr would flip poo poo over.)

Some of the comedic beats in this series someone could just be like "Hey I found your book" after everything is said and done with no further explanation. There has been a tendency for characters to overreact to events happening around them.

Or Eightfold could actually be gone forever.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Eightfold is actually the Big Bad, this entire thing has been a plan, cleverly orchestrated by playing with wheels within wheels, to allow Eightfold to escape Mayview. The reason the dog kicked the book out of the train instead of eating it wasn't actually to distract from Max, but to allow Eightfold's escape.

"We're both orphans, Isabel. But while your parents had the luxury of dying in a climbing accident, mine survived the Activity Consortium betrayal and Boss Leader's execution squads. My father couldn't let himself or my mother live with the shame. Spender figured I was too young to remember. And in one of life's little ironies, the son went to work for the government whose betrayal caused the father to kill himself and his wife." - Paranatural, Chapter 17.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Looks like I chose a good time to catch up. It's gonna be embarassing for Eightfold if (he? she? it?) gets immediately rescued after all this. But even for this comic and its love for subverting tropes, after this long of a goodbye I'm not so sure about that.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Was the word "Advertisement" by the banner ad always in spirit speech, or did that change recently?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zenzirouj posted:

(he? she? it?)

Pretty sure Eightfold's a she.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Eightfold being gone forever is so boring and dumb that I can't perceive Zack doing it. But this whole conversation hasn't been great, honestly (of course she went for Max! Eightfold, you live in a book!). It's been a really disappointing turn for a chapter that started out really well. It's basically devolved into :words: about dumb philosophy and other stuff.

I can't wait for this chapter to be over, is what I'm saying.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Eightfold isn't gonna die she's just gonna be trapped underground until her prison rots apart :buddy:

Anybody else notice that her lower eye is tearing up?

Edit: I suddenly feel very, very sorry for the cursedogs :unsmigghh:

No I didn't notice that lone tear as Eightfold put on a brave face as she said goodbye to her friend. Why would you point that out?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Eightfold is gone for, like, at least two real-world years and quite possibly longer/forever. This is just too much build up for it not to happen; Like I said earlier, Paranatural is a webcomic (that likes to pretend it isn't sometimes), and spending a month leading up to something and then saying "gotcha!" doesn't make a lot of sense. It's one thing to subvert a trope within a page or two, like when Spender flips off the roof and messes up his landing, or the whole "Black spirit energy?! That's---!... Pretty common" joke. But I think it'd be a misstep for Eightfold to get rescued now or reappear anytime soon.

Not a comic-ruining misstep, but yeah.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I dunno this just feels too anime of Zack to kill off a supporting character in the chapter she's introduced.

Please be ok. :ohdear:

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Meowjesty posted:

I dunno this just feels too anime of Zack to kill off a supporting character in the chapter she's introduced.

Please be ok. :ohdear:

If reading Paranatural has taught you one thing it should be that there is NOTHING too anime for Zack Morrison

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I feel like I'm playing a Metal Gear game, reading this comic. It's devolved from "Punch Ghosts Real Hard" to "Let's have year-long conversations about philosophy with terrorists about terrorism" real fuckin' hard.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
So what you're saying is we need Paranatural: Revengeance

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

japanese cartoons

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Zero_Tactility posted:

So what you're saying is we need Paranatural: Revengeance

Johnny asks Ollie to turn off his pain inhibitors.
EDIT:

OG Necromancer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Johnny asks Ollie to turn off his pain inhibitors.
EDIT:

God drat but it's been far too long since we've had Johnny.