Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The Evil Thing posted:

Sounds almost like he was trying to pronounce it like a Latin word.

Nah, if it were proper Latin it'd be Teed-oose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pyroi posted:

He posts a video. As he explains that the DSP thing was all an act, he takes off the fake beard and fatsuit, revealing that he was Elvis all along.

I don't think Elvis would have needed a fatsuit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pyroi posted:

He posts a video. As he explains that the DSP thing was all an act, he takes off the fake beard and fatsuit, revealing that he was Elvis Aston Kutcher all along.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think I'd believe him even if he came out and said "DSP was all a joke! I'm really a nice guy who's good at video games and bathes! You all got trolled!"

How many people have tried to pull that bullshit to try and save face? Even Chris-Chan himself made a video like that once.

That kind of thing wouldn't save face. If you fake being stupid to say stupid things, you're still saying stupid things in the first place. Serious or no, it doesn't matter.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
After all, remember he made a video saying that him blaming the game and various things like the controls and stuff is a "recurring joke" from way back and that people wouldn't get it because they're loving mental midgets.

At that point, should we just have a thread dedicated to DSP? It just feels like the stuff you can write about this guy is limitless (and not in a good way).

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Nah, if it were proper Latin it'd be Teed-oose.

Indeed, hence "trying". v:v:v

It's just that the comment just put me in mind of a guy I used to know, who insisted he was great at Latin but had the weirdest pronunciation. A DSP of classics, if you will.

How do you guys feel about dubstep? If you're at least tolerant of it, this guy Fluxtrance does some really quite good Rollercoaster Tycoon series videos. He spends a lot of time on scenery and the results look fantastic. If you can't stand dubstep, he usually doesn't narrate his videos except at the beginning and end, so nothing much is lost from muting them.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

After all, remember he made a video saying that him blaming the game and various things like the controls and stuff is a "recurring joke" from way back and that people wouldn't get it because they're loving mental midgets.

Anyone got a link to this video?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Tid [pronounced like Cid]-us [use without an e]

I'd just like to restate that I never watched the video to check and instead made up a hypothetical pronunciation that no one who reads above a first grade level would come up with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I'd just like to restate that I never watched the video to check and instead made up a hypothetical pronunciation that no one who reads above a first grade level would come up with.

So you probably got it completely right. DPS can't read, as evidenced by most of his playthroughs.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

At that point, should we just have a thread dedicated to DSP? It just feels like the stuff you can write about this guy is limitless (and not in a good way).
Eh, is there really enough content to justify a thread merely for DSP? I know people keep on posting about him, but none of it is necessarily new or anything more than 'Man, DSP really doesn't get games and he's bad'. It's like how there's plenty of footage to point out disliking Pewdiepie but does talking about it really have the much depth?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Niggurath posted:

Eh, is there really enough content to justify a thread merely for DSP? I know people keep on posting about him, but none of it is necessarily new or anything more than 'Man, DSP really doesn't get games and he's bad'. It's like how there's plenty of footage to point out disliking Pewdiepie but does talking about it really have the much depth?
That doesn't stop this thread from functioning. :v: That's pretty much 80% of the posts in this thread.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Evil Thing posted:

How do you guys feel about dubstep? If you're at least tolerant of it, this guy Fluxtrance does some really quite good Rollercoaster Tycoon series videos. He spends a lot of time on scenery and the results look fantastic. If you can't stand dubstep, he usually doesn't narrate his videos except at the beginning and end, so nothing much is lost from muting them.
This is insane, in a good way. :stare: I loved RCT3 and even used some custom stuff but this man is on another level.

Is there anybody like this (great design work and layouts. Not actual optimal numbers sperging) out there for the Anno games?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rythian posted:

That doesn't stop this thread from functioning. :v: That's pretty much 80% of the posts in this thread.

Honestly, I'm in favor of it just so we can move all the bitching into another thread so that the people who want that can keep on keeping on, and I can ignore it. I want to hear about people on the internet who aren't complete poo poo.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Rythian posted:

There's alot of repeat sure, but then eventually Phil does somthing new and even more stupid than before and it's just like...seroiusly?

Although even though i'm not a fan of the guy, there are way to many videos of people taking part of his fighting game videos and going "LOL YOU WEREN'T BLOCKING I COULD HEAR THOSE BUTTONS BEING MASHED FROM HERE! DON"T BLAME LAG FOR THAT! GEE IT'S NOT CHEAP WHEN YOU DO IT IS IT DARKSIDEFART?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If anything, DSP's fighting games videos are where he deserves the most criticism, no matter how asinine.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's a great video of him filming at a SFIV tournament and the announcer is telling him he's going to be disqualified for filming and holding up the tournament. Phil's reaction is yelling "You want me to run your loving tournament for you!?" http://youtu.be/PXQshxDxZtk

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Phil doesn't need his own thread. He does something stupid, we talk angrily about it for a page or two, someone posts a few recommendations, then DSP does something stupid again. It's a neverending journey.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Keeshhound posted:

Honestly, I'm in favor of it just so we can move all the bitching into another thread so that the people who want that can keep on keeping on, and I can ignore it. I want to hear about people on the internet who aren't complete poo poo.

Yeah, I actually really like the actual recomendations in this thread because my standards are low and frankly I've long since stopped caring about whatever new dumb thing DSP's doing, so if we're putting it to a vote I think there should be two threads.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Zedd posted:

This is insane, in a good way. :stare: I loved RCT3 and even used some custom stuff but this man is on another level.

Is there anybody like this (great design work and layouts. Not actual optimal numbers sperging) out there for the Anno games?

Not that familiar with the Anno community. The only guy I can think of that might fit your description is Nanosuit Ninja. He's got about 20 hours of Anno 2070 "Ironman" footage (not sure what that would mean), and he's working on a 1404 game now (albeit slowly).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I made the mistake of going back into the Let's Play Subreddit today. One thread is asking for good Camcorder LPs. Another wants to know which video game world you would want to live in. The content there is atrocious and nearly every one of the people there have custom artwork YouTube channel banners and linked social media accounts and...maybe a dozen views on their top video.

And they all complain about 3rd party content claims against videos that have no views and will never get views. It's absolutely amazing how nearly each and every one of them believe they WILL be the next big YouTube-famous LPer but can't even correctly troll for viewers on Reddit, a website with such low standards of quality Rage Comics are a popular art medium.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I made the mistake of going back into the Let's Play Subreddit today.
There's an entire thread on what their catchphrases are. I'm never going back there.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Golden Goat posted:

There's an entire thread on what their catchphrases are. I'm never going back there.

Why would you ever call it a "catchphrase"? That just sounds like you're trying to force it in order to make it a catch phrase. If I ever had anything like that, I'd call it a "verbal tic" - at least that makes it sound like I'm not trying to use it a lot, it's just become a part of my regular phrasings. Then again...

quote:

We all know how branding can be very important. What phrases or quotes do you almost always use? Whether it is during intro, outtro or whatever.

Yeah, I guess you've got to force it if you're trying to make a name for yourself. Of course, much like Peter "Snakebite" Wright, you end up looking like a complete twat when you're trying to force a gimmick in order to stand out from the crowd.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Golden Goat posted:

donttroll posted:

"Love your faces with a bit of Pie and will see you next time Pieoneers" or "dont make me get ghetto"

I don't think I've seen someone try harder to manufacture a name for their viewerbase.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I've heard as far as subreddits go, /r/letsplay isn't actually soooooo bad - they actually reject scarecams and do require some modicum of quality. Baby steps, I suppose. (But it does have a lot of problems with people going in to promote their poo poo.)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Evil Thing posted:

Not that familiar with the Anno community. The only guy I can think of that might fit your description is Nanosuit Ninja. He's got about 20 hours of Anno 2070 "Ironman" footage (not sure what that would mean), and he's working on a 1404 game now (albeit slowly).

Yeah his stuff is pretty good, but im looking for more design sperging if that makes sense.
Thanks though!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Maybe it's because the worst job I ever had was working in marketing, but the idea of "branding" my LPs instantly drains all the fun from the hobby. The allure of playing video games for money must be really strong.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

slowbeef posted:

I've heard as far as subreddits go, /r/letsplay isn't actually soooooo bad - they actually reject scarecams and do require some modicum of quality. Baby steps, I suppose. (But it does have a lot of problems with people going in to promote their poo poo.)

Being promotion-heavy seems to be a bit of a general problem for the site. I used to check their roguelike subreddit at a point, but recently it's been flooded by people plugging their kickstarters, greenlights and LP's.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

ProtagPlays posted:

"stick THAT in between two slices of bread and take it to work with you tomorrow like a lacked lunch"

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.

slowbeef posted:

I frequent that sub because as a newcomer I didn't really know better. It was good at first just to get some people checking out our channel (mostly sub for sub) so we could figure out whether we were in the right direction or completely off-course.

I think the community really means well but there is a COMPLETE lack of self-awareness. People constantly post threads like "Every video I make is boring, how do I get better?" Additionally the other posters tend to be SO positive it's almost uncomfortable - no one wants to be told they suck so EVERYBODY is great at EVERYTHING! It's the let's play equivalent of "everybody gets a trophy just for participating".

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

You know, I understand the intro phrases, and those really aren't that bad.

But the ones they try to force are just horrible. Especially this one:

Protagplays posted:

"stick THAT in between two slices of bread and take it to work with you tomorrow like a lacked lunch"

It's supposed to be a victory quote, but it's horrible.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I made the mistake of going back into the Let's Play Subreddit today. ...

Threads like this are why I browse it. Saying they're all small channels is a bit disingenuous though - there are a few big channels (e.g. JonPaula, Northernlion, Cryaotic) and a bunch of midlevel (10-20k) channels.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Golden Goat posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > The Miscellaneous Outside-SA LP Crap Shoot: I also say balls a lot

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

slowbeef posted:

It's not the worst place but a lot of topics are people complaining about Youtube in general or posting up a "Hey check out my channel" (They usually don't touch that thread afterwards). The feedback topics and technical suggestion topics are good though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

It's not the worst place but a lot of topics are people complaining about Youtube in general or posting up a "Hey check out my channel" (They usually don't touch that thread afterwards). The feedback topics and technical suggestion topics are good though.

Speaking of complaining about Youtube, am I the only one having trouble with 1080p lately? It always seems to make videos look worse than 720, on top of buffering way slower than it used to.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, I guess you've got to force it if you're trying to make a name for yourself. Of course, much like Peter "Snakebite" Wright, you end up looking like a complete twat when you're trying to force a gimmick in order to stand out from the crowd.

The best way to make a name for yourself is to just be good at the job. A good catchphrase evolves naturally from your own vocabulary, fanbase, and behavior.

Take Nerd Cubed, for example. He opens every video with "Hello prrrrrcrastinator!" and ends with "...and terrah!" However, if you look back through his history of videos and making webcomics, you'll notice that "procrastinator" was something he just called his viewers and eventually came to be the name of his fanbase, and he just used it as his own verbal tic before it became a recognizable part of his content. He didn't intentionally create a catchphrase to be noticed by, but one evolved through his content.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Since we're on the topic, what is everyone's catchphrase here? Mine's "gosh golly gee, I'm so wacky!" and I only do it when I do "stupid" and "random" things in my video.

But seriously, I laughed at this one:

quote:

I just talk like I were talking to a person who was sitting next to me.

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not that means they use catchphrases in their everyday conversations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Blind Sally posted:

Since we're on the topic, what is everyone's catchphrase here? Mine's "gosh golly gee, I'm so wacky!" and I only do it when I do "stupid" and "random" things in my video.

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not that means they use catchphrases in their everyday conversations.

I think it means "I want to be part of this discussion even though I have nothing to add."

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Anything linking videos or channels outside the approved threads gets removed by the mods pretty swiftly to be fair, I haven't really seen one of those in a while.

Golden Goat posted:

bro...fish?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Blind Sally posted:

Normally I'd assume this is a passive-aggressive way of saying "catchphrases are dumb, talk like a god drat normal person", but then I remembered that I've met too many people who talk like that in real life.

What "successful" let's players have catchphrases in the first place? Where does the idea of having a stock phrase being am acceptable substitute for a personality come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

inthesto posted:

What "successful" let's players have catchphrases in the first place? Where does the idea of having a stock phrase being am acceptable substitute for a personality come from?

Pewdiepie's brofist thing is kind of like a catchphrase, I guess? I'm not sure if he even uses it any more, though.

• Locked thread