Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
Is it just me or have NCsoft's login servers been hammered into oblivion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I found the combination for steer that worked best for me was have it set to toggle via keypress, set it to something you aren't gonna use and it doesn't matter if you can hit it easily or not. Then I changed the hold to toggle off button to alt. Now I just use alt to turn it on if it's turned off, and I hold it for turning in quests and things like that. Then bind vacuum loot to mouse wheel up and down and camera zoom to shift wheel up and down and you're all set.

Re: performance issues, if the combat log is indeed parsing differently than it will in live and causing a performance hit, that would explain quite a bit, and also given some people have reported drastically better performance since earlier betas, it would logically follow that their optimization team is in full swing, and they just haven't gotten to a piece/combination of your specific setup. They've got a month, and since their UI seems to be pretty much done(whether you like it or hate it or mod it or whatever), the questing seems to be done, their raids seem to have been bug tested as well as a limited sample beta can test them it would follow that the focus they have for the rest of this month is optimization. People are much more likely to bitch about what's wrong on the forums and just play the game when it's going right, it'd explain a lot of the confirmation bias in this thread regarding performance issues.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ReadingZucchini posted:

Is it just me or have NCsoft's login servers been hammered into oblivion?
If you just recently went up to the open beta page and got and copied in the key (how awkward is that, by the way, sheesh) they were having trouble yesterday processing those keys to let you actually log in to the server. So if you tried to get in right after adding it, wait an hour maybe. I'm not home but I was able to log in this morning for two seconds to add a person to guild without any problem, but there are plenty of other login problems.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Aside from the framerate issues the thing currently bugging me most is how they've decided to change the names of all the stats to something whacky and radical. I don't care about Moxie and Grit fluff in my numbers, just tell me straight up what stuff does. :byodood:

Maybe you're not playing the same game as me but the tooltips do say what the stats do.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Went from 60+ in beta to 30s in open beta. :wtc:

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
It kinda sucks that the stats don't seem to list their effect in the tooltip of the item unless its comparing to something already equipped. Do the first time you pick an item for the slot, you need to check your character window.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phrasing posted:

Maybe you're not playing the same game as me but the tooltips do say what the stats do.
And then those lead to more weird terms like Strikethrough, but at least you can find explanations of those in the tooltips of the secondary stats tab on the character panel.

They should probably do a better job explaining the relationship of Assault and Support Power as well, it's actually pretty simple but had me confused for a while. The abilities are on Assault, Support and Utility tabs in the ability panel, and the corresponding power stat boosts their numbers (mostly damage or heal numbers). The Utility tab takes the average of the two, if I understand it right.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Slokir posted:

Me and at least one other guy are on Hazak Exile Side.
Think we're scattered between severs tbh but if you end up on Hazak send me a message, characters name is Slokarin.
If enough EU goons show up we can get a guild going.

We're supposed to be Hazak Dominion side because the vote in the topic when the servers came up was a majority PvP and majority Dominion - and still is as of this posting too.
If we split up like the US goons we'll never get a guild going because there just aren't enough of us.

That's where I am now, at least. I have to say having played both I definitely enjoy Dominion more, the quests are a bit sillier and you get to be a gender neutral race.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I must be lucky. I have a high end computer and don't have any performance problems. I've been enjoying the game so far. I like picking up stuff for the settler stuff and the action combat makes the game really fun. I also like the loom of the game and like that loot comes flying into my character.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a keyboard shortcut to accept the user agreement button? Apparently Esc works to decline. I've never in all my years of playing MMOs seen a user agreement screen bug. It just will not let me click agree for any reason.

Gonna check and see if having your windows DPI fucks with it like some old games.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Yaos posted:

I must be lucky. I have a high end computer and don't have any performance problems. I've been enjoying the game so far. I like picking up stuff for the settler stuff and the action combat makes the game really fun. I also like the loom of the game and like that loot comes flying into my character.

I have a bog standard PC and get 40fps. It's absolutely fine to me. If anything it seems like the more powerful your PC the worse your issues which does sort of match what was said earlier in the last thread.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Taear posted:

We're supposed to be Hazak Dominion side because the vote in the topic when the servers came up was a majority PvP and majority Dominion - and still is as of this posting too.
If we split up like the US goons we'll never get a guild going because there just aren't enough of us.

That's where I am now, at least. I have to say having played both I definitely enjoy Dominion more, the quests are a bit sillier and you get to be a gender neutral race.

My beta characters got moved to a French server but I might make a Dominion character on Hazzak to join up with you guys maybe we can sort something out for launch

VoLaTiLe fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 9, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SymfonyMan posted:

Gonna check and see if having your windows DPI fucks with it like some old games.

It was this. Hey dev guy, this is really stupid. I don't sit at a desk so I use a higher windows DPI so I can see stuff from my couch. I bet a lot of people do this sort of setup. You really should have your game ignore DPI settings from a get go. I couldn't even get through the user agreement until I changed windows DPI back to default. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed by now.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pound_Coin posted:

I've unzipped both of these to appdata/roaming/username/ncsoft/wildstar/addons, yet they're not on the ingame addon list, even after refreshing

BUT when I hit restore defaults it knows which files to remove so I have to assume they;re in the right place?

I dunno man I let the Curse client handle my addons for me v:shobon:v

BQuietNDrive
Dec 2, 2004
Furious Masticator

roboticbears posted:

I haven't played with it too much, all I did was bind LMB to activate ability 1, but at least by default that seems to be active all the time. It doesn't go off when you're interacting with the UI or an object in the world, however.

re: Render Resolution - turning this down will definitely give you more fps, but it has a huge, tremendous, terrible impact on visuals. This is the "blurry crayola" mode I was referring to. Maybe worth it if you can't get anything else to work, but I would make it a last ditch option.

re: fps capped - do you have vsync on? This will cap you at your monitor's refresh rate (which is usually 60).

Definitely looks like poop.

Looks like vsync was it. Thanks!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SymfonyMan posted:

It was this. Hey dev guy, this is really stupid. I don't sit at a desk so I use a higher windows DPI so I can see stuff from my couch. I bet a lot of people do this sort of setup. You really should have your game ignore DPI settings from a get go. I couldn't even get through the user agreement until I changed windows DPI back to default. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed by now.
Ouch, that's a bummer. I do have one laptop hooked up to a TV but I never even tried Wildstar on that thing because it's far too old. If you haven't already /bug it in game or post a thread on their bug reports forum, cause they really ought to fix that one and I bet it's not all that difficult. I bet some people ran into that and didn't even know what the heck broke, probably just uninstalled it on the spot.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I rolled Dominion on Hazak but I've pretty much reached the stage where I know what class I want to play, so I don't know how much more I'm going to play before launch. I'd have rather played Exile for the plucky underdog story but the Aurin annoy me enough that I don't mind playing Dominion. That and the Mechari owning.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

roboticbears posted:

The biggest attraction about this game for me is definitely the movement and combat systems, and I think the general fun of gameplay is what should get you through the early levels before the meat of the game opens up around 20ish. Unfortunately it's very difficult to appreciate that stuff if you are experiencing poor performance; in fact I think a lot of the negative reactions you're seeing in this thread are heavily influenced by bad performance (except about questing, questing sucks). I had to jump through a few hoops to get things running well, but I think it's worth it since the combat feel in this game is really great once you are above slideshow range. Here are some things I did to bring my fps up to reasonable (anywhere between 35 and 70+ fps, seems to vary a lot by location). For reference I'm running a 2500k overclocked @ 4.7 and a Radeon HD 7850.

These may or may not have any useful effect on your setup:

1. Update to the latest Catalyst 14.4 non-beta drivers from 4/25. I was on 4.3 and going to 4.4 along with the following changes gave me a sigfnicant fps increase.
2. Force DirectX 11. To do this, right click your Wildstar shortcut, select "Properties", and add "-directx11" (without the quotes) to the end of the "Target" field. Alternatively, if this seems to not change anything or makes your performance worse, try forcing directx9 by adding "-directx9" in the same way. It seems to vary heavily by setup which of these will work better.
3. Disable the Combat Log, as it is apparently poorly optimized right now or parsing extra information for dev feedback or some bullshit. To do this, press Esc in game, click on the "Addons" tab on the left, click on "CombatLog" to highlight it, and click "Change load ruiles" at the bottom. Check "Do not load Addon". Close that dialog and click "Reload UI" in the bottom right.
4. I've heard claims that disabling the "TargetFrame" addon in the same way will also help fps, but gently caress if I'm gonna play without a TargetFrame. Not suggested, but if you're desperate enough, go for it I guess.

Video Settings - I am running everything on the highest settings except for the following changes:

1. Lowering "Dyamic Shadows" to low or medium didn't change the visuals much, but improved my performance.
2. Lowering view distance to about half helped FPS without removing a lot of the visible objects.
3. Lowering clutter detail to medium and small object detail to medium seemed to reliatively little visual impact while proving a bit of fps boost, but I think that shadows and view distance are the two big things you can tweak to get better performance without resorting to blurred crayola mode.
4. Lowering clutter distance by some arbitrary amount that looks ok to you seems to help a bit. Again, at this point I think it's very small gains and this probably doesn't matter.

Doing all that changed my average in this beta from the mid 20's to the high 40's in most outdoor areas and eliminated most of the big fps dips. Indoor areas are usually 60+. Optimization seems to differ tremendously by setup right now, so you may see no real returns, but hopefully this helps somebody.

Thanks, I tried some of this and wouldn't you know it, disabling the combat log did the trick. I still have to play on almost the lowest settings, but the game runs smooth now. So my Aurin scientist is back into action! :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Phrasing posted:

Ah, it's not so much the tooltips as adjusting to the new lingo. Having been raised on a diet of ToHit, Strength/Intelligence/Vitality stuff, seeing Brutality/Strikethrough/Moxie/Grit on character sheets is taking some getting used to. :v:

But, overall I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised by the game. I went into it expecting a reskinned WoW and while the sense of humour does try way too hard, this will slot quite nicely next to ESO for my near future. Definitely prefer ESO's storyline and atmosphere, but Wildstar's combat is far more engaging than I thought it would be. Can't say fairer than that, really.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

SymfonyMan posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to accept the user agreement button? Apparently Esc works to decline. I've never in all my years of playing MMOs seen a user agreement screen bug. It just will not let me click agree for any reason.

Dumb question but have you tried scrolling to the bottom of the eula first?

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Made a dominion character on Hazzak names PorkPie not able to play much today but will try and level up tomorrow to join you dudes

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fugly posted:

Dumb question but have you tried scrolling to the bottom of the eula first?

It's only a dumb question because you don't need to scroll to accept it. Also it's a dumb question because I told you how I solved it. ;) I'm just joshin ya, of course I scrolled down first.

Once I did get in I've had 3 CTD... This doesn't bode well for me. I didn't even make it out of the Arkship thing yet and I'm getting tired of restarting.

For what it's worth the game is pretty drat smooth on the lowest settings on an ancient computer. Ugly rear end game that low but at least it runs (when it's not crashing).

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It was the obvious falsehoods. I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who just lies through their teeth, seems pretty pointless to me. :shrug:

This is adorable.

quote:

I hear the game is a bit of a slog until level 20 and then it starts picking up with dungeons and harder PVE combat.

I've heard this too, I'm just not sure I believe it (e: because it's usually 'I heard from someone else that it gets good', not 'I played it and it gets good'). I'll be curious if people are still anticipating the promised land after (whatever the level cap is in the new version, 30?) or if the content actually does get considerably better.

E: VVVVVV

I did the level 15 exile adventure, it was buggy as hell and not very interesting? It was a WoW scenario, except without any kind of setpiece. I've got a post about it in the last thread.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 9, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
The level 15 adventure is a blast.

I'm gonna hit 20 tonight-ish and check out the dungeon to see if it's the promised land but if it's anything like adventures I'm happy with them

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Taear posted:

I have a bog standard PC and get 40fps. It's absolutely fine to me. If anything it seems like the more powerful your PC the worse your issues which does sort of match what was said earlier in the last thread.

I have an ancient GTX 560 with a Phenom II quad core and get 55-60 no sweat. (High Settings)

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

RPZip posted:

I've heard this too, I'm just not sure I believe it (e: because it's usually 'I heard from someone else that it gets good', not 'I played it and it gets good').

The difficulty does noticeably creep up as you get further and further, but Level 20 there's just suddenly a kind of slap in the face where poo poo GETS REAL, CUPCAKE.

But you can definitely see the differences of mobs every few levels. The best examples I can give is around Level 10 you'll start seeing enemies with some channeled attacks that if you just stand there will totally kill you, but are otherwise not much of a threat; around Level 14, you'll start to see environmental hazards that will somewhat restrict you, and then there's this enemy either Level 16 or 17 who is the first you'll encounter on the Dominion side, as far as I'm aware, that will combo CCing you with its really powerful channeled telegraph attack, which if you don't know to expect it, you won't break out in time before you take a good few thousand or so damage even if you are good.

It seems really easy but it's scaled for people that might never have played with such a system, which is only sensible. It's not a complicated concept for me to dodge telegraphs because I played League of Legends where I learned to count cooldowns and use audio and visual cues to dodge skills because telegraphs weren't even a thing, so by comparison it can be hard to notice scaling when everything's still easy. It's definitely there, though, and it took me to nearly Level 20 to even see it.

Doublestep posted:

I'm gonna hit 20 tonight-ish and check out the dungeon to see if it's the promised land but if it's anything like adventures I'm happy with them

The Dungeon is brutal, but unfortunately it's kind of a waste of time outside of recreation. The rewards for performing it seem really mediocre.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Jeremy Gaffney, the executive producer is doing an AMA on reddit right now. You can look at his user page to see most of the answers without wading through the muck.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Doublestep posted:

I mentioned it a bit in the last thread but I want impressed with the level 20 dungeons. Same amount of lot as adventures but the times as long, corridors from one boss to the next and trash mobs have way too much hp. Boss fights are a lot of fun though, they get pretty hectic and feel about on par with WoW raid bosses with having to carefully watch mechanics. Hopefully they get better further into the game and the first are just simple so you can get used to them.

They feel really disconnected from the main game though, no quests leading to them, don't seem to tie into a zones sorry at all except for a short quest line you do at level 8. Do they even have a physical entry point?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 9, 2014

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
One of the responses in that AMA was towards a question directed regarding the Questing being boring and bland: Gaffer responded that they were planning to add more options on how to complete these quests, especially in bringing in harder, more valuable monsters, so that the "hardcore" crowd can still have some sort of a challenge while doing quests.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
How's the exp in dungeons? Guy I talked to last night said he was getting about half a level from the prison adventure at 20 so I'm wondering how the dungeons compare.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Doublestep posted:

How's the exp in dungeons? Guy I talked to last night said he was getting about half a level from the prison adventure at 20 so I'm wondering how the dungeons compare.

I got maybe a quarter of a level? The challenges are a lot harder so you miss out on a bunch of the bonus xp from getting the gold medal that is a given in the adventure.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cyster posted:

Yeah, we optimized for lower-end systems first. Still working on optimization for higher-end. A good deal of the content-side optimization is in maintenance mode at this point so I'm not as connected to the process as I used to be, but I know they're still working.

When a GTX660 and 780ti perform pretty much identically or the later preforming worse, it's less of an optimization issue and more something going horribly, horribly wrong with the rendering engine.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe because I am not the appropriate level yet it isn't shown up, but is there going to be a dungeon finder or the like in this game?

By the way, per one of the guys from Carbine:

quote:

Additionally, "Nexus" is probably one of the few things that brand new players know about our game and I'm really afraid that if we leave that realm name up at launch it will be SILLY overcrowded. BUT! I am going to move that realm name to be the name of our PTR. So the Nexus realm (our original beta realm) is still going to be a part of WildStar (which is only fitting).

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I fought Metalmaw in Deradune with a bunch of pubbies. It took a while for forty level 10's to burn through 1.3 million health but it was fun and by no means a tank and spank. It had some brutal telgraphs that really show promise for future encounters.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

madcow posted:

Maybe because I am not the appropriate level yet it isn't shown up, but is there going to be a dungeon finder or the like in this game?

By the way, per one of the guys from Carbine:

Yep. You can queue for pretty much everything instanced but raids and shiphands.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Doublestep posted:

Dungeon xp doesn't come close to adventure xp. Adventures are really easy, and they give a crazy amount of xp compared to anything else. I'm expecting the xp to be scaled back a bit for them.

The dungeons are a lot harder than adventures. If you're grouping with random pubbies you can consider yourself lucky if you finish them at all. They have good loot for the level, but you don't get very much of it. They're also really really fun, whereas I've found the adventures pretty meh.

I don't agree with the guy complaining about the trash having too much hp - the fights seemed to last a reasonable amount of time, the majority of them have interesting mechanics, and there's generally 2-3 pulls between bosses.

madcow posted:

Yeah, default keybind is "N" or you can find it in the menu in the bottom left corner. The same interface is used to queue for BGs.

The Hive Queen
Dec 15, 2012
Downloading as we speak! No idea how big this game is but I'm 8% done and it's only bandwidth anyway. \o/

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1. This text is a lie.
2. I already selected the character I actually want to play, but it's not giving me a customization options.
3. Spacegoat or bust.

Carbide, make it happen.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

madcow posted:

The group finder actually unlocks at like level 5 or something, but at that level all you can access is PvP things. You probably skimmed over it in one of those 'See Rewards' popups.

Incidentally you can bring up the entire list of rewards for every level by clicking the button in the extreme lower left corner and choosing a menu item that I don't remember the name of off the top of my head. But you should be able to find it.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Okay, I've seen a few mentions of "shiphands" but I can't find anything about it. Anyone care to enlighten?

• Locked thread