Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Eughhh, why does my lovely kingdom of Brittany revert to Gavelkind when my king dies?

Is the new king Celtic? Because if not, the game could have reset crown laws to something he's eligible to hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Isn't Breton culture considered celtic anyways?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What religious group are jews in for marriage and whatnot? As norse I can marry other pagans, but only norse will let me take concubines. Christians and muslims are all "must not marry an infidel" and won't give me the time of day. Even norse women in the court of another religion are off limits. It is a very limited pool of potential brides.

Seems like that could be much worse for jews, who barely exist at all.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

What religious group are jews in for marriage and whatnot?

Judaism. However, they'll happily marry Christians of their own accord, but they won't accept a marriage offer given to them by a Christian.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DStecks posted:

That sounds like a really bad plan, IMO. That goes beyond kicking the hornet's nest, you're fuckin' punting it.

I thought taking Rome triggers crusades if you aren't their religion? Or does it not trigger if a heresy takes it?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
For a Zoroastrian start a good one is actually the Yabguid Turks. Subjugate Cumania (they usually get tied up in wars with Pechenegs, Bolghars, and Khazars and are easy to pick off) and then the rest of de jure Turkestan. Do what you can to weaken and foil the Samanid and Saffarids to the south, once you're ready Invade the Samanids and take all their poo poo. Move your capital to Khiva which is a pretty excellent duchy and mostly Steppe terrain, meaning you get the cool horsey-focused buildings. Khiva is also Zoroastrian, convert and demand conversion from most/all of your vassals since they should have a fat opinion bonus from Subjugation. It's still a huge pain in the rear end playing whack-a-mole with rebellions while your MA is still low, but it's a solid start to reconquer Persia for the Zoroastrians.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

For a Zoroastrian start a good one is actually the Yabguid Turks. Subjugate Cumania (they usually get tied up in wars with Pechenegs, Bolghars, and Khazars and are easy to pick off) and then the rest of de jure Turkestan. Do what you can to weaken and foil the Samanid and Saffarids to the south, once you're ready Invade the Samanids and take all their poo poo. Move your capital to Khiva which is a pretty excellent duchy and mostly Steppe terrain, meaning you get the cool horsey-focused buildings. Khiva is also Zoroastrian, convert and demand conversion from most/all of your vassals since they should have a fat opinion bonus from Subjugation. It's still a huge pain in the rear end playing whack-a-mole with rebellions while your MA is still low, but it's a solid start to reconquer Persia for the Zoroastrians.

Zoroastrian is by far my favourite religion to play because the benefits of the religion are awesome, but for some reason I can never bring myself to play a different religion and then convert. I have to do "true" religion runs.

Thinking about it isn't there a 1 province zoro count in yabguid? May have to try and rise to power and take over the realm as him.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thrasophius posted:

Thinking about it isn't there a 1 province zoro count in yabguid? May have to try and rise to power and take over the realm as him.

Yeah, the main problem there is if you start as a vassal, you're very likely to get gobbled by either the Samanids or maybe Cumans because the AI is a lot shittier than you are.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is there a way to subject a republic?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thrasophius posted:

I thought taking Rome triggers crusades if you aren't their religion? Or does it not trigger if a heresy takes it?

I'm not sure what happens if a heresy takes it, but I would imagine it triggers crusades. That said, just because crusades are possible doesn't necessarily mean they'll happen right away (and they may decide to do something dumb like crusade for Jerusalem instead of Rome first, I'm not sure if they prioritize which holy sites they go for first).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm not sure if they prioritize which holy sites they go for first).

According to the wiki every religion has a set priority list. For Catholic the first three are like Italy, Rome, Greece. I can't remember if heresies count though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

(and they may decide to do something dumb like crusade for Jerusalem instead of Rome first, I'm not sure if they prioritize which holy sites they go for first).

Crusade target weighting is listed here.

Looks like Crusades will always be called on Italy, then Greece, then the County of Rome, in that order?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Thrasophius posted:

Cantorsdust posted:

Crusade target weighting is listed here.

Looks like Crusades will always be called on Italy, then Greece, then the County of Rome, in that order?

From the same list, spot the difference:

Crusades enabled if:

A non-Christian holds certain Byzantine lands or the emperor is a non-Christian.

Certain (Western) European provinces are held by non-Christians.

The year is 1090 and Jerusalem is held by a non-Christian.

Rome is held by a non-Christian or heretic.

And the pope being able to call a crusade for the county of Rome is like for the possibility that it is no longer de jure part of Italy.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I think if you declare war on the Pope, he hires everyone he can afford (which can be literally every mercenary company) so it can be a tough fight unless you are playing the Old Gods start date and go after the Pope before he has a lot of money and the holy orders have formed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Does anyone know how I can adjust the Ruler Designer so that I don't have to pay for traits with age? There is a mod on the Paradox forums but it is out of date. I also tried going directly to the defines.lua to adjust it, but when I changed the costs in that file the game wouldn't start anymore so I had to reinstall everything.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Just edit your save after you start.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I'm really liking Cathars. It's so simple to get competent councilors through marriage now, and I have so many good generals just from prioritizing martial when having women married into my court.

Like you wouldn't think it's that a huge deal, but you just know you end up with a 28 diplomacy genius niece who has gently caress all to do if you can't appoint her as a chancellor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

monster on a stick posted:

I think if you declare war on the Pope, he hires everyone he can afford (which can be literally every mercenary company) so it can be a tough fight unless you are playing the Old Gods start date and go after the Pope before he has a lot of money and the holy orders have formed.

Being Orthodox, Miaphysite or Nestorian are also the only options to take Rome with little consequences, as he can't excommunicate you (since you aren't in communion with Rome in the first place), and it won't unlock Crusades (which he could not declare against you even if it did).

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Chichevache posted:

Does anyone know how I can adjust the Ruler Designer so that I don't have to pay for traits with age? There is a mod on the Paradox forums but it is out of date. I also tried going directly to the defines.lua to adjust it, but when I changed the costs in that file the game wouldn't start anymore so I had to reinstall everything.

Use notepad++.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Just edit your save after you start.

That is a lot more troublesome than just changing defines.lua.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioMe posted:

I'm really liking Cathars. It's so simple to get competent councilors through marriage now, and I have so many good generals just from prioritizing martial when having women married into my court.

Like you wouldn't think it's that a huge deal, but you just know you end up with a 28 diplomacy genius niece who has gently caress all to do if you can't appoint her as a chancellor.

Yeah, I made the mistake of going Cathar for my first real run at the game and it really spoiled me. Since most women in other realms won't be assigned to cabinet positions or have land no matter how good their stats are, it's really easy to find some incredible councilors or generals that will almost always accept an invite to your court (or if they won't, just marry them into your realm, since their liege will almost always accept it unless they're directly related).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Chichevache posted:

CK2->Common->Defines.lua

At the very bottom replace NRulerDesigner completely with this.
code:
NRulerDesigner =
{
	BASE_ATTRIB = 5,
	BASE_AGE = 16,
	BASE_FERTILITY = 0.5,
	BASE_HEALTH = 5.0,
	COST_ATTRIB = 0,
	COST_SON = 0,
	COST_DAUGHTER = 0,
	COST_MARRIED = 0,
	COST_FERTILITY = 0,
	COST_HEALTH = 0,
	COST_MONTHLY_PRESTIGE = 0,
	COST_MONTHLY_PIETY = 0,
	COST_MONTHLY_WEALTH = 0,
	COST_GLOBAL_TAX = 0,
	COST_CHURCH_OPINION = 0,
	COST_SPOUCE_OPINION = 0,
	COST_SEXAPPEAL_OPINION = 0,
	COST_DYNASTY_OPINION = 0,
	COST_VASSAL_OPINION = 0,
	COST_LIEGE_OPINION = 0,
	COST_INFIDEL_OPINION = 0,
	COST_OPPOSITE_TRAIT_OPINION = 0,
	COST_SAME_TRAIT_OPINION = 0,
	COST_SAME_RELIGION_OPINION = 0,
	COST_AMBITION_OPINION = 0,
	COST_GENERAL_OPINION = 0,
	COST_MUSLIM_OPINION = 0,
	COST_JEWISH_OPINION = 0,
	COST_CHRISTIAN_OPINION = 0,
    	COST_ZOROASTRIAN_OPINION = 0,
	COST_MORALE_OFFENCE = 0,
	COST_MORALE_DEFENCE = 0,
	COST_DEFENCE = 0,
	MAX_AGE = 50
}

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Kainser posted:

That is a lot more troublesome than just changing defines.lua.

Fair enough, I thought the post was implying that that didn't work.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ruler designer should really be modified in some way so that same/opposite trait opinion takes into account the rarity of the trait.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Fair enough, I thought the post was implying that that didn't work.

It didn't, but I probably hosed it up some how.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, I made the mistake of going Cathar for my first real run at the game and it really spoiled me. Since most women in other realms won't be assigned to cabinet positions or have land no matter how good their stats are, it's really easy to find some incredible councilors or generals that will almost always accept an invite to your court (or if they won't, just marry them into your realm, since their liege will almost always accept it unless they're directly related).

Ive changed orthodox to allow woman in council positions and absolute-cognatic, and now I dont think I could ever player the regular non-feminist version of this game again.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Related to that, if you don't want to use the ruler designer, what's a good basque culture start if you want to play absolute cognatic? And does that allow more female counsel members like cathar does, too?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

This event (using HIP) is new to me:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Chichevache posted:

It didn't, but I probably hosed it up some how.

If you edit defines.lua with regular Notepad (it fucks up the encoding somehow), or somehow accidentally remove a line/setting that the game expects to be there, it won't start: that's likely what happened.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How often do the Muslims get their poo poo together and actually start taking the Byzantine Empire apart? I've only played a few games, and none past like 1225 or so, but the Byzantines have lost basically no territory in any of them. Do things pick up later on?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Bold Robot posted:

How often do the Muslims get their poo poo together and actually start taking the Byzantine Empire apart? I've only played a few games, and none past like 1225 or so, but the Byzantines have lost basically no territory in any of them. Do things pick up later on?

Have the Seljuks shown up yet?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cantorsdust posted:

Have the Seljuks shown up yet?

Just checked, it's 1219 in my current game I don't see them yet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bold Robot posted:

Just checked, it's 1219 in my current game I don't see them yet.

They show up in the Old Gods start. In 1066 they are already there.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They show up in the Old Gods start. In 1066 they are already there.

Oh. :shrug: Maybe they got their asses kicked at some point, I haven't been paying any attention to anything east of Constantinople.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bold Robot posted:

Oh. :shrug: Maybe they got their asses kicked at some point, I haven't been paying any attention to anything east of Constantinople.

Probably, if they don't win the beginning war, they probably just imploded.

They aren't that big a threat in the 1066, they are a much bigger threat in the OG start, but they don't show up for a century and a half.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pester posted:

Related to that, if you don't want to use the ruler designer, what's a good basque culture start if you want to play absolute cognatic? And does that allow more female counsel members like cathar does, too?

I haven't played Basque, but from what I gather, the female counsel members and generals is something unique to Cathars - Basque ONLY gets absolute cognatic as a succession option. It's kind of like how some of the Pagan religions will allow female priests but not absolute cognatic succession - they're separate elements so one doesn't always imply the others.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the CB the Saffarids have on those guys to their west at the start? Being able to just devour all of the guy's lands like that is pretty ridiculous, and since both sides are Sunni I have no idea how they pull that off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Invasion CB, just like what William of Normandy has in the 1066 start.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
As an aside: the Saffarid's initial war does actually give them all occupied territory, though, whereas the regular Muslim Invasion CB doesn't. Dunno why that's the case, but there you go. Possibly a hangover from when the Saffarids' lands were really small, pre-RoI map, so they didn't want them to get too weak after the first war or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you edit defines.lua with regular Notepad (it fucks up the encoding somehow), or somehow accidentally remove a line/setting that the game expects to be there, it won't start: that's likely what happened.

That was the problem. I reinstalled it and then edited with Notepad++ and everything is great. Thanks y'all. Time for the Vikings to Vike. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Redczar posted:

In case you hadn't found out, yes it does and it's glorious

Darkrenown posted:

I hope so, yes!

As a matter of fact, it did! The new launcher looks bitchin', too.

• Locked thread