Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hipster Occultist posted:

One girl in my Spanish class dropped in the last two weeks of the second term. :psyduck:

How much do you have to hate yourself to throw all that time, hard work, and money away?

Whose money and how much work did she actually do, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hipster Occultist posted:

One girl in my Spanish class dropped in the last two weeks of the second term. :psyduck:

How much do you have to hate yourself to throw all that time, hard work, and money away?

I don't think most colleges actually allow you to do that. I know that in California, our drop deadlines are about 8 weeks in, and then the serious drop deadlines are ten weeks in, and then only with a serious and compelling reason (I got ran over by a car and am tied to a hospital bed).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A White Guy posted:

I don't think most colleges actually allow you to do that. I know that in California, our drop deadlines are about 8 weeks in, and then the serious drop deadlines are ten weeks in, and then only with a serious and compelling reason (I got ran over by a car and am tied to a hospital bed).

I had to do one of those due to complications from surgery. In the UC's, I think the absolute deadline is in April, but it fucks your record up something fierce and is only done if you're literally unable to work, like I was.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Trilineatus posted:

Last week of graduate school. Thesis due Tuesday. Final paper in another class and a poster presentation of my research Friday. One job interview today, another also on Friday.

So close to freedom after seven years of college.

So close.

So...

:smithicide:

Oh and my thesis research turned out not to be significant.

I can only offer an ehug and well wishes, Fishy fellow.

That being said, my complaint is student accommodation. I have a therapist and a doctor willing to back me up that I need to move. I told accommodation this and I get a copy+paste letter about my housing contract being a LEGAL CONTRACT and I can't tell them I want to leave. Um.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

diabeticmoodswing posted:

My complaint: the loving Wi-Fi.

I live in one of the largest residence halls on campus (Freshman, hello.) and there are two access points. For a building of ~175 girls. Two. Access. Points. From the hours of 5pm to 1am the Wi-Fi is actually non-existent. I guess that's when everyone decides to do homework or stream Netflix. It was worse during the winter because you had to walk through the cold and the wind to get to the library to use the internet.
UCF has Wi-Fi all over campus and in the student union, close as hell to the access points, it somehow manages to be godawful (although that's probably due to everyone in the union hammering it). That and it randomly decides to make you reset your network password to get on instead of doing it every 60 days or however long it is.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Its been a few years since I've graduated but I remember more people jacking into the ethernet ports in their rooms than use WiFi. Laptops, desktops, didn't matter. The lines were always 100% fast and 100% reliable from what I recall. It was also the era of i2hub so speed was more important than mobility I guess...

Are kids these days allergic to ethernet ports and CAT5 cables? :corsair:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm done with my finals and getting ready for commencement this Saturday, bombed the Physics II test hard, praying my prof is an idiot and forgets to weigh the grades and give me an automatic A since I scored basically perfectly on MasterPhysics.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Seamonster posted:

They don't let us have pets--including cats--in the dorms.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
When I was in the dorms a few years ago they strongly encouraged us to use wifi. We had to buy a special $30 adapter to use ethernet, and call in a special request for them to activate the data ports in our rooms. Totally worth it, though, especially since I had a desktop computer in addition to a laptop.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Seamonster posted:

Most people I know are afraid of wires. They think bandwidth is a magical thing which coalesces out of the aether for their convenience. One girl I knew freaked out when I showed her that the router she used for wi-fi access got its internet from a wire. She thought it just came in through the cellphone network or something. This was at Georgia Tech...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Phthisis posted:

When I was in the dorms a few years ago they strongly encouraged us to use wifi. We had to buy a special $30 adapter to use ethernet, and call in a special request for them to activate the data ports in our rooms. Totally worth it, though, especially since I had a desktop computer in addition to a laptop.

What a bunch of jackasses. I'd have dropped out if I didn't have the ethernet port in my room. The public wi-fi here is abominable (We're talking half an hour to open a .pdf anthropology article.)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Before campuses started going WiFi, the local big retail store had a big BACK TO SCHOOL! deal, where they put all the college crap in the same place--twin sheet sets, those hideous big rectangular area rugs, microwaves, etc. In amidst all that was a humungous bin of CAT6 cables for under twenty bucks each.

Shoppers, looking at the list of "poo poo you need to move your kids into the dorms," saw "CAT5 cable" on the list and ignored the (for all intents and purposes identical) CAT6 cables. Once the school year started, the retailer found themselves unable to move the loving things so they marked them down, down more, then down further, until they were a dollar each.

I must've looked like a goddamn lunatic pushing a cart full of cables up to the checkout, but I am loving set for ethernet cables for the next ten lifetimes :coal:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Didn't stop someone down the hall from me my freshmen year. :v:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Irradiation posted:

Didn't stop someone down the hall from me my freshmen year. :v:

Some friends of mine kept a couple gerbils in a trashcan when they lived in a dorm.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Phthisis posted:

I can't believe that you had to pay to use Ethernet. Was this a private school?

I personally love submitting corrupt files as a humanities major. Tech illiterate professors will think it's their fault and give you a couple extra days.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

When I was a teen, I went to a private boarding school for junior and senior year. One of the other guys in my hall managed to keep a cat in his dorm room for three months or so before he was caught-- the RA never busted him, because the guy with the cat was the RA. Eventually a teacher was near his room when his cat meowed, though, and then he was finally caught. He had to give the cat away, which saddened the rest of us in the dorms, because that cat was the cuddliest little kitty and enjoyed playing with us all and aww jeez that was a good cat.

cattes

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
For the love of god, the next time I'm invigilating an exam and somebody tries to get me to tell them the answers, I'm kicking their rear end out.

"Sir, what does this word mean?"

If you'd shown up to tutorials, you'd know. It's a bit loving late to ask teacher now.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hell, I had students in my dorm sneak in puppies. Like pretty sure it happened at least twice in the two-and-a-half years I lived in the dorm.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Truecon420 posted:

I can't believe that you had to pay to use Ethernet. Was this a private school?

Yep, Carnegie Mellon. We're supposedly the best Computer Science school in the US, too.

To be fair, the wifi was pretty drat good, but it still wasn't without its problems, and the ethernet was far more reliable and fast.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

A White Guy posted:

I'm Canadian, so maybe that makes a difference? Even if she never officially dropped, she still stopped showing up and never wrote the final. And considering that every liberal arts degree here requires 6 credits in a second language, well it seems like such a loving waste is all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Why is every math class at 8 a.m? I don't have any problems finding later slots for my other classes but god drat am I tired of having 8 a.m. math classes. I don't deal well with mornings and trying to get my brain to process calculus at 8 in the morning ends badly.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Why is every math class at 8 a.m? I don't have any problems finding later slots for my other classes but god drat am I tired of having 8 a.m. math classes. I don't deal well with mornings and trying to get my brain to process calculus at 8 in the morning ends badly.

My very first class as an undergrad was finite mathematics, and it was at 8 A.M. That's apparently when math classes are held, I guess. Must be some kind of federal law saying you can't have a math class in the goddamn afternoon.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've never had an 8AM math class, only an 8AM spanish class for the language requirement.

I think in general colleges deliberately put the classes that a lot of people are required to take at 8AM, because they know that any elective in that timeslot will be empty.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Our dorms went completely wireless I'm my senior year, which was a shame as I couldn't bridge my laptop to my Xbox after that.

Wireless was pretty good, but was prone to going down around finals time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
POST MY GODDAMN GRADES SO I CAN GET DRUNK ALREADY

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Truecon420 posted:

I personally love submitting corrupt files as a humanities major. Tech illiterate professors will think it's their fault and give you a couple extra days.

And us tech literate professors will happily fail you and refer your case to the ethics board, so be careful...

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Now that this semester is over, the real challenge begins. Constantly checking if anyone has dropped out of classes that are LA core, but are also required for my major and minor. Fuckin weabos with more credits than me all up in my Asian studies class.

Thankfully, even if I end up with just gen ed classes next semester, I can purchase study aids(booze) legally now.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The worst part of finals isn't the finals. It's the dread that comes after/before finals. I only have two, so I've been hounding my other professors about my grades. I was convinced that I failed my Philosophy class. Went to the professors office, and the guy said "But...you have an A :v:".

Basically, oh god I'm gonna fail all my classes paranoia is getting to me. The week before finals (this week) has been the longest week of my life. MAKE IT END :smithicide:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My grades finally came out...but I have to restructure my entire summer and fall semesters because I let my loving depression get in the way of poo poo again and only made a D in Calc 1. Everything that needs Calc 1 as a prerequisite requires a C or better in it. But at least I didn't fail it completely! :confoot:

And thank god I don't have to look at loving discrete math again. I will take that C thank you very much.

Edit: I'm also so tempted to just burn my loving discrete math book, I didn't realize that the international edition of it /was not/ pretty much identical to the American version, so none of the homework problems matched up. I only spent like $15 on it anyway, not that big a deal.

taiyoko has a new favorite as of 21:48 on May 9, 2014

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

taiyoko posted:

My grades finally came out...but I have to restructure my entire summer and fall semesters because I let my loving depression get in the way of poo poo again and only made a D in Calc 1. Everything that needs Calc 1 as a prerequisite requires a C or better in it. But at least I didn't fail it completely! :confoot:

Depending on the school and your ability, try bluffing your :way into Calc 2. At my school nobody really bothers checking prereqs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I've never had an 8AM math class, only an 8AM spanish class for the language requirement.

I think in general colleges deliberately put the classes that a lot of people are required to take at 8AM, because they know that any elective in that timeslot will be empty.

That isn't entirely true, for my college anyway. There are some electives with slots that early but for whatever reason all math classes are very, very early. It seems like a departmental thing. The other departments have classes spread out (art classes are generally afternoon or evening, interestingly enough) but math classes always happen in the early morning.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Woo got a B in Physics II lecture even though I bombed horribly on my final! Huzzah for curving :woop:

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Has everyone already finished their finals? Finals week at my school isn't until next week, and after that I'll probably have to wait another 2 weeks to actually get my grades.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Has everyone already finished their finals? Finals week at my school isn't until next week, and after that I'll probably have to wait another 2 weeks to actually get my grades.

I'm done and convocation was last week.

Y'all way behind

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

UC's have them next week. I'm actually more worried about the asinine parking regulations for moving out than I am about my grades.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

gently caress Physics forever. If I ever needed to learn that Physics sucks and is for nerds who sleep with their calculators this semester was it. Now allow me to go back where I'm comfortable in my biochemistry with all the cool nerds who don't sleep with their calculators.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

Depending on the school and your ability, try bluffing your :way into Calc 2. At my school nobody really bothers checking prereqs.

System won't let you register for classes if you don't have the prereqs, and the only way to even try to get around it is a bunch of bullshit running around getting paperwork signed. And honestly, I deserved that D, so I really should take it again anyhow.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ugh, the online prereq checker is such a pain here because it doesn't check the classes you're currently in. Tried helping my friend register and that kept her from enrolling in any of her required classes because they all hinge on one class first.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Kavak posted:

UC's have them next week. I'm actually more worried about the asinine parking regulations for moving out than I am about my grades.

My CSU has their finals next week. I've got two finals, then I'm bugging out ASAP to avoid the usual moving out fiasco. Why the hell they do move out day at the end of finals is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Aerofallosov posted:

I can only offer an ehug and well wishes, Fishy fellow.

That being said, my complaint is student accommodation. I have a therapist and a doctor willing to back me up that I need to move. I told accommodation this and I get a copy+paste letter about my housing contract being a LEGAL CONTRACT and I can't tell them I want to leave. Um.

Thanks.

Finished the research presentation, which was supposed to be informal. Informal my rear end. My research builds off the findings of a really well respected and influential professor in my department at my lovely public ivy league. So I got to sweat bullets for fifteen minutes while she absolutely scrutinized the very fibre-composition of my typo riddled poster reporting my totally null findings. :smithicide:

She eventually did wander over to talk to me and apparently the way I phrased my null findings ("Look! Nothing changed! That means the intervention is working, because if it wasn't, those numbers would be getting worse!") pleased her and now I have a research position with her for eight weeks this summer :unsmith: And someone else gave me a "compliment" because apparently social workers aren't supposed to know enough math to do basic logistic regressions.

Now I just have to finish writing the actual loving thesis :saddowns:

• Locked thread