Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

slydingdoor posted:

Some campaigns are different than others. I'd let someone do that if they had a launcher in hand and rolled the Volley that action triggers, but that would end the defensive stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njAii_K_Rwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
In my game, Merlyn rolled a 7-9 on the volley, decided to take what he could get and did no damage to Arrow because the 1 armor from the circumstantial cover of that glass box. In your game, Arrow takes Merlyn's level in damage as long as he's defending. I like following the rules. :v:

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you roll 7-9 on Hack and Slash, does the enemy you're H&Sing immediately do damage, or do they get an attack that you can Defy Danger against?

I would advise against Defying Danger to avoid attacks as a result of a Hack and Slash move. H&S is for when you are in melee with someone and getting hurt / attacked is part of the risk. If you can Defy Danger to get out of that attack, I think it diminishes the impact of the move and the 7-9 result in particular.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

slydingdoor posted:

In my game, Merlyn rolled a 7-9 on the volley, decided to take what he could get and did no damage to Arrow because the 1 armor from the circumstantial cover of that glass box. In your game, Arrow takes Merlyn's level in damage as long as he's defending. I like following the rules. :v:

Can't argue with that one

:golfclap:

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
I've been really enamored with Pirate World's Alchemist playbook as of late - but after trying to get it into a couple PBP games in the Game Room, I got a bunch of criticism that, honestly, turned out to be needed. It's a great idea, but the execution is lacking something. I've been working for the past couple weeks on a heavy revision of the playbook, and I think it's ready for some actual dissection.

Check out The Alchemist v.3 right here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J2hkfIdjAdhUWr16Sw31iJ6KaTIXGuJuJFid60ZwPSI/edit?pli=1

It's obviously still a work in progress, but I've got the starting moves more-or-less fleshed out. Most of what's left is going to be working out some proper advances, solidifying the Drives and Backgrounds, and figuring out an inventory. It owes a lot to an edit Bigup DJ did of Alchemist that got rejected for a couple games, and incorporates some ideas from Artificer and Collector.

If anybody's got ideas on how to improve on this, I'd like to hear about them. Alchemy, and chemistry in general, is a huge mine of cool ideas -- everything from Fullmetal Alchemist, to the Atelier series of games, to Things I Won't Work With, to Paulo Coelho's novels, to weird medieval occult poo poo. The starting moves are pretty versatile - not quite Cast a Spell, but there's probably way more diversity achievable with potions than Cast a Spell: no focus to limit the things you can do.

What do you think? Workable? Needs another scrap-and-rewrite? Doomed to be too overpowered?

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Fenarisk posted:

Dungeon World Core Classes: Advanced Dungeon World 1.5

The Warrior (fighter): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SVHNFWG03Nnl6Mms/edit?usp=sharing

The Duelist background references something called "Wall of Steel" that isn't anywhere else on the sheet?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you're using Defend, and roll 10+, can you immediately spend all 3 hold to do 3x your level in damage? Can you choose the damage multiple times in any circumstance?

Yes. You can also triple-spend it on any other option, of course.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you roll 7-9 on Hack and Slash, does the enemy you're H&Sing immediately do damage, or do they get an attack that you can Defy Danger against?

As mentioned, it's an attack, not damage (so it could be the enemy grabbing you, or disarming you, or a spell, or whatever), but you shouldn't insert a DD in there because it already comes as a result of a roll.

What you can do is turn to another player and go "the Thief is off-balance and the giant squid is about to wrap its slimy tentacle around him. What do you do?"

Syka posted:

The Duelist background references something called "Wall of Steel" that isn't anywhere else on the sheet?

Wall of Steel is what I'd called Battle Instincts in an old version of my Fighter variant. I am guessing Fenarisk borrowed from Gnome's Improved Fighter and the two versions of my Perrless Fighter that I put out at some point. :v:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Wall of Steel is what I'd called Battle Instincts in an old version of my Fighter variant. I am guessing Fenarisk borrowed from Gnome's Improved Fighter and the two versions of my Perrless Fighter that I put out at some point. :v:

Ha, yeah I credited you guys in the first post and forgot to change that up in the final version, since the warrior was first. Hurf durf.

Edit: it's fixed, link updated in post but also here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SWU1QUVZUdnNtWHM/edit?usp=sharing

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 9, 2014

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

slydingdoor posted:

I really hate to do this, but I'd say that clip was way more defy danger with fast reflexes (dex) than a defend (he'd still take half damage unless the online rules are out of date on that). Then armed with an arrow he throws it and yadda yadda. Also can you even use defend on yourself? That just seems weird.

My group's second session went pretty well, though I can't wait for the third to hit. Through a combination of bad rolls (9 for one guy!), questionable choices, and some impressive sprinting, they've done a nice combination of dispatching a somewhat crazy necromancer while leaving something back in the town that uncontrollably raises the undead. We'll see what is left of the place when they get back. I enjoyed them only being able to recruit the town drunk, and the fighter leaving the rest of the party behind as he knocked enemies away/over cliffs and dashed through hails of arrows to murderize the mage. I'm sure the organization that is having them retrieve some of these strange vials has only the best of intentions...

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

I really hate to do this, but I'd say that clip was way more defy danger with fast reflexes (dex) than a defend (he'd still take half damage unless the online rules are out of date on that). Then armed with an arrow he throws it and yadda yadda. Also can you even use defend on yourself? That just seems weird.

My group's second session went pretty well, though I can't wait for the third to hit. Through a combination of bad rolls (9 for one guy!), questionable choices, and some impressive sprinting, they've done a nice combination of dispatching a somewhat crazy necromancer while leaving something back in the town that uncontrollably raises the undead. We'll see what is left of the place when they get back. I enjoyed them only being able to recruit the town drunk, and the fighter leaving the rest of the party behind as he knocked enemies away/over cliffs and dashed through hails of arrows to murderize the mage. I'm sure the organization that is having them retrieve some of these strange vials has only the best of intentions...

I actually agree, If the player wanted to catch it before it hit them instead of just spending hold, I'd say roll Defy Dex without breaking defensive stance. They could decide whether to spend 1 hold to halve the effect based on the outcome of that roll, and maybe I'd jack some or all of their hold if they hosed it up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you're not reading Dungeon Elementary (a teacher running DW for 10-year-olds) you really should. Because one of the kids made a CC.

quote:

When you become buddies with a town gunsmith, when you level up you may take this move instead of a class move.

☐ Better Guuunzz!

You are friends with a gunsmith and he is willing to give you some of the guns he has recently made, usually being more advanced than the traditional musket. With each gun comes 3 ammo to use it (1 weight) and a pocket guide to shooting guns (0 weight). Each gun takes around 30 seconds to load. He gives you a regular 1-shot musket (close, near, 1 piercing,2 weight) to start you out with. You cannot take this move if you don’t have enough carrying capacity to carry it along with the other items you want to carry.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes. You can also triple-spend it on any other option, of course.

So, I theory built a fighter, that's got some basic sense to it. Let's say he's level 5.

Assumptions:
You can spend hold from Defend at any time, there are no restrictions on how you spend hold.

Buffs to damage from different sources stack.

Buffs to damage increase any source of damage, unless it explicitly says it doesn't.

18 constitution from level ups, though you could just be lucky. I mean, if you're lucky, you could have 8 constitution and pull this off, but let's just say the person made this fairly likely.

Level up skills: Merciless (+1d4 when you do damage), Multiclass Dabbler (Take Paladin's Exterminatus, +2d4 against one enemy in exchange for -4 against everything else), Bloodthirsty (+1d8 when you damage instead of 1d4), and some other skills. (Scent of Blood and Taste of Blood specifically call for Hack and Slash, so we ignore them)

He's supported by a level 5 bard, who has Vicious Cacophony and Vicious Blast (added up, you can buff +3d4 damage).

Bard buffs fighter by rolling 7+, fighter rolls 10+, immediately challenges an opponent then spends all 3 hold to do damage.

Because all those abilities buff DAMAGE, not hack and slash, they should then stack, resulting in the fighter doing

3 x( 5+1d8+2d4+3d4 ), or 15+3d8+6d4+9d4, for a minimum of 33 damage, mean of 66 damage, and a max of 99 damage. Huh, funny how that worked out, I had to check that a couple times.

I'm pretty sure that can be improved upon, but even a wizard who has good constitution could drop 30 damage at once at level 10, for free, without risking hack and slash's 7-9 "you get attacked" result.

I really hope I'm wrong though~

edit: for the record, when I first thought of it, I immediately told my DM I'm not going to do it.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You wouldn't multiply the bard damage, because it's damage forward. Otherwise if you play defend that way the calculations are right.

Also it's another reason why the fiction/range caveats matter when spending hold on defend.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

3 x( 5+1d8+2d4+3d4 ), or 15+3d8+6d4+9d4, for a minimum of 33 damage, mean of 66 damage, and a max of 99 damage. Huh, funny how that worked out, I had to check that a couple times.

The bard damage only applies to the first roll. Also, they would both would have to be level 6 to have Bloodthirsty/Vicious Blast.

Either way, it doesn't matter for multiple reasons:

1) the DM is meant to be a fan of the characters. That damage roll sounds like it would involve a pretty epic situation, which is awesome and therefore should be encouraged.

2) the Fighter is good at killing things and that's about it. Killing things is the Fighter's job. The DM is meant to be a fan of the characters, which includes being a fan of the Fighter killing things.

3) this is not D&D. Fiction comes first. If something doesn't make sense in the fiction, it doesn't happen. If something makes sense in the fiction, it happens whether or not there's a move to support it.

4) characters and monsters are not just bags of statistics. They are creatures that exist in the fiction. You are not limited to chalking up numbers. If the Fighter is Defending against a group of monsters in front of her, how is she guarding against the ones that are flanking her? How is she defending against the orc reinforcements that just charged in as a result of the Thief rolling a miss on his Volley move?

Also, on both a mechanical and fictional level, it is going to matter how the Fighter is dealing damage from Defend. Is she dealing it as a single attack? If so, her bonuses only apply once. Is she dealing it as multiple attacks? If so, there's some time in-between each of her attacks, which means other stuff is happening. Other people are being threatened, other things are being threatened, the Fighter's gear is being threatened, etc.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 9, 2014

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The bard damage only applies to the first roll. Also, they would both would have to be level 6 to have Bloodthirsty/Vicious Blast.

Either way, it doesn't matter for multiple reasons:

1) the DM is meant to be a fan of the characters. That damage roll sounds like it would involve a pretty epic situation, which is awesome and therefore should be encouraged.

2) the Fighter is good at killing things and that's about it. Killing things is the Fighter's job. The DM is meant to be a fan of the characters, which includes being a fan of the Fighter killing things.

3) this is not D&D. Fiction comes first. If something doesn't make sense in the fiction, it doesn't happen. If something makes sense in the fiction, it happens whether or not there's a move to support it.

4) characters and monsters are not just bags of statistics. They are creatures that exist in the fiction. You are not limited to chalking up numbers. If the Fighter is Defending against a group of monsters in front of her, how is she guarding against the ones that are flanking her? How is she defending against the orc reinforcements that just charged in as a result of the Thief rolling a miss on his Volley move?

Also, on both a mechanical and fictional level, it is going to matter how the Fighter is dealing damage from Defend. Is she dealing it as a single attack? If so, her bonuses only apply once. Is she dealing it as multiple attacks? If so, there's some time in-between each of her attacks, which means other stuff is happening. Other people are being threatened, other things are being threatened, the Fighter's gear is being threatened, etc.

This makes me feel a bit better.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Like Lemon Curdistan said, Dungeon World isn't just a game of numbers, it's first and foremost a game of people talking about what is happening to the characters.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I still feel like crutching on "fiction comes first" excuses some sloppy mechanics in many of the playbooks that lead to the rules saying that a retarded situation should be happening when sensibility and the fiction says otherwise. A good case can be made that since the rules are literally just there to call the shots when the fiction doesn't tell you what happens, they should be ignored very rarely and only with a really good excuse.

As much as I like them, the Inverse World classes are some of the worst for this and if I'm not running a gonzo game I ask people not to use them. Playbooks like the Survivor, Golem and Walker are literal superheroes and having them in a party with a corebook class is a recipe for sadness. I'm very tempted to write up an effortpost about the IW classes and ask gnome7 if he's sure some of it is supposed to say what it does - but it would be difficult without sounding like a whiny whiner.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't write about the specifics then no one will be able to address them.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Doodmons posted:

I still feel like crutching on "fiction comes first" excuses some sloppy mechanics in many of the playbooks that lead to the rules saying that a retarded situation should be happening when sensibility and the fiction says otherwise. A good case can be made that since the rules are literally just there to call the shots when the fiction doesn't tell you what happens, they should be ignored very rarely and only with a really good excuse.

As much as I like them, the Inverse World classes are some of the worst for this and if I'm not running a gonzo game I ask people not to use them. Playbooks like the Survivor, Golem and Walker are literal superheroes and having them in a party with a corebook class is a recipe for sadness. I'm very tempted to write up an effortpost about the IW classes and ask gnome7 if he's sure some of it is supposed to say what it does - but it would be difficult without sounding like a whiny whiner.

As far as I know, at least some of the weirder bits of the Inverse World playbooks are because Inverse World isn't supposed to be about combat the way your standard Dungeon World game is. I mean, Alone Against The World is nuts, but it's less nuts when you're in a game where reducing a giant battle to a single montage is appropriate. I mean, that doesn't make stuff like the Golem being completely immovable or the Walker's optimum combat strategy becoming goomba stomping everyone once they get Spider's Leap less dumb, but it does give context for some of the oddities.

(Also, if you've played a Walker up to level six and immediately started doing nothing but jumping on people's heads, you're lame and don't deserve to be playing a Walker.)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Doodmons posted:

The problem isn't with the Inverse World playbooks more than it is with the core playbooks. They are generic. They are dull. They don't actively do anything at all and when compared to a class that has an actual thematic underpinning to them they start to show their weakness.

quote:

I mean, Alone Against The World is nuts,
Looking at my moveset for my Firefighter class let me say that it could be worst and the move that I made is supposed to be perfectly mundane.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 10, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Question: On Cast A Spell, if a player rolls a 6 or lower, what happens? Do I choose or is there actually something listed that's done?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Make a DM move. The DM rules are the best part of DW.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'd love some feedback on a playbook I threw together tonight while finishing the second season of Vikings. It's heavily inspired by Ragnar.

The Berserker
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SS19TUFhkcGtkUEE/edit?usp=sharing

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fenarisk posted:

I'd love some feedback on a playbook I threw together tonight while finishing the second season of Vikings. It's heavily inspired by Rollo.

The Berserker
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SS19TUFhkcGtkUEE/edit?usp=sharing

Fixed that for you, A Ragnar Playbook requires more baby goats. :colbert:

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm going to be running a campaign that's secretly Megaman. Are there any rules or guidelines about constructs that I should know about?

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

tinkerttoy posted:

I'm going to be running a campaign that's secretly Megaman. Are there any rules or guidelines about constructs that I should know about?

~*Follow the fiction*~

What sort of constructs are they?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

tinkerttoy posted:

I'm going to be running a campaign that's secretly Megaman.

This made me laugh.

Real talk: DW has ruined roleplaying games to me. I was in a WoD game yesterday, and the system plus a not very good GM was quite a chore. We got into a fight and every turn was:
:D"Ok I roll to bit this dude face's off with my amazing werewolf jaws. No hits"
:eng101:"you miss"

:argh: BUT WHAT HAPPENS?

I mean, nWoD is probably one of the worst engines for a fight (why every GM and, in this case, published adventure, insist on throwing fight after fight on it, I'll never know) but, gently caress, every GM should be forced to read DW and run it once before he's allowed to run anything else.

:D"I hit for 2 lethal"
:eng101:"ok... *rolls* he hits you for 1 lethal"
:D"I miss"
:eng101:"He misses"
:D"Ok, I get up in the car with a powerful wolf leap, then jump down on him, jaws open wide"
:eng101:"well, you'd have to roll atlethics, and then attack next turn, for +1 dice"
:D".... I just bite him"

edit: is there a Darkness world out there already?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'd recommend giving Monster Hearts a look, it is widely considered one of the best *World hacks and is all about being teenage monsters.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gnome7 posted:

I'd recommend giving Monster Hearts a look, it is widely considered one of the best *World hacks and is all about being teenage monsters.

Isn't it a bit too focused on teenage relationships and stuff like that? I'm fine with that, but the pool of players I have access to are pretty terrible and I'm 100% sure they wouldn't play that. How is Monster of the week?

Hell, I'm trying to set up DW and they are completely against it because "if I wanted an old school experience, I'd play Pathfinder, besides the drawings are awful".

Yes they suck.

edit:
VVV

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is hilarious because there is absolutely nothing in Pathfinder that's oldschool. The only "school" it's from is the school of lovely un-design.

Yep, it's loving terrible and that tells you what you need to know about my current pool of potential players.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 16, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

if I wanted an old school experience, I'd play Pathfinder

This is hilarious because there is absolutely nothing in Pathfinder that's oldschool. The only "school" it's from is the school of lovely un-design.

Monsterhearts isn't what you want if you're just looking for "V:tR but 2d6+stat," as it's entirely about highschool teenage monster romance.

The big list of AW hacks probably has you covered since it has several urban fantasy/horror hacks listed.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Isn't it a bit too focused on teenage relationships and stuff like that? I'm fine with that, but the pool of players I have access to are pretty terrible and I'm 100% sure they wouldn't play that. How is Monster of the week?

Hell, I'm trying to set up DW and they are completely against it because "if I wanted an old school experience, I'd play Pathfinder, besides the drawings are awful".

Yes they suck.

edit:
VVV

Yep, it's loving terrible and that tells you what you need to know about my current pool of potential players.

Is there at least one of the players that might be interested in a one-off of something new and different? You may be able to get a cascading conversion.

I'm pretty lucky that a pathfinder group I ended up in loves the dungeon world games I run for them. We still play pathfinder from time to time, but I think that's because the guy that runs it has a massive financial investment in all the books and stuff he bought.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The group of guys I play with have been having a pretty good time with the system so far, and several of them have been playing pathfinder very recently. Being able to allow crazy poo poo they come up with is amazingly fun for me as a GM. The fighter grabs two skeleton's heads and smashes them together, with him doing a nearly max hack&slash, damage, and addition damage so I had the skulls splinter into bone shards violently (so he took some damage). Also having a lot of fun trying to add spice to the 7-9 rolls, and slowly figuring out what sort of complications each player likes/plays well with.

I think Madadric's plan of getting one or two guys converted and then bringing the rest in is solid. One of our group I still need to prompt a lot for stuff, but he is getting into the swing of things more in our third session. Having other people there to basically demonstrate neat stuff really is great for getting the others into it. Someone coming from pathfinder is still going to be thinking narrowly in a lot of ways, and if he sees the guy next to him do something crazy and awesome (and effective!), it'll start cascading.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Hugoon Chavez posted:

"if I wanted an old school experience, I'd play Pathfinder, besides the drawings are awful".

Clearly you need to bribe them with a separate set of playbooks and art. You know, Just some playbooks that don't necessarily evoke that old school experience, maybe with some cool mounts and vehicles to help make it different. That might help.

Shilling, me? Nooooo I would never do that

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Urban Shadows. It was so much "WoD World" that I believe someone modified the playbooks to be literally Requiem vamps, Awakening mages and Forsaken werewolves and stuff. It looks pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to run it yet. It's got an inbuilt "you go evil" mechanic as well, for all your world of darkness needs.

Or if you're running Hunter, just play Monster of the Week. It's literally Hunter.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Doodmons posted:

Urban Shadows. It was so much "WoD World" that I believe someone modified the playbooks to be literally Requiem vamps, Awakening mages and Forsaken werewolves and stuff. It looks pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to run it yet. It's got an inbuilt "you go evil" mechanic as well, for all your world of darkness needs.

Or if you're running Hunter, just play Monster of the Week. It's literally Hunter.

Played Urban Shadows at a con recently (with the designer GMing). Great stuff.

There is a Google+ group where you can download the playtest documents.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Thirding Urban Shadows. I've not played much of it, but it's a very solid system, and that quasi-WoD theme comes through very well. As was said, it even has actual nWoD stuff converted for it.

I've played, and GMed, a lot of Monster of the Week and I have to say that I've soured on it. It's kind of a thematic hodgepodge that wants to be too many sub-genres all at once and as a result gets pretty muddy. I think it didn't do enough to differentiate itself from core Apocalypse World, it didn't change enough. It was a really early hack, so I can't fault it too much. I've still had some really fun sessions, but I think there are better options out there now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I finally get to play instead of just running tomorrow, and I can not decide on a playbook. I'm my group's GM so this is probably my one chance to be a player and I want to make it count.

So, Clock Mage vs. Winter Mage?

Also, god drat it gnome7 and RulebookHeaviliy, what'd my wallet ever do to you? I just bought fifty bucks of material from you guys on DriveThruRPG. (Lots of playbooks and Mounted Combat since one of my players recently tamed a giant spider.)

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Bigup DJ posted:

~*Follow the fiction*~

What sort of constructs are they?

Giant robots shaped like animals. They have two control systems: they can either be directly controlled from a wizard's tower hidden in the mountains, or the human soul that's been bound to the construct can take over and do their best to not cross the controller, lest they be tortured for stepping out of line. You can free the soul by destroying the glowing weak point that allows them to be directly controlled, saving a lot of fighting and possibly opening up some neat RP with the now-autonomous giant robot, or just go ahead and destroy them outright.

Also the glowing weak points, being a magic antenna, give each of them a couple thematic spells. The first I statted out, a spider, can slow down characters. This, along with giving the players web-related techniques upon her defeat, is what makes it secretly Megaman.

So I guess there are a handful of issues I ought to solve: how would one of the Robot Masters look to a paladin praying for guidance? How would their magic work? Where should the line be between threatening boss and overpowered?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How is pirate world coming along? I was really looking forward to it, but it doesn't seem like there has been an update on the website in a while, but I might be looking in the wrong place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Reason posted:

How is pirate world coming along? I was really looking forward to it, but it doesn't seem like there has been an update on the website in a while, but I might be looking in the wrong place.

Just got a backer update yesterday or the day before where he basically said he's been swamped with things and understands he's very behind but still plans on getting books out.