Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Drakes posted:

You must have the worst luck

I'd rather have ~honorable duels~ than gank Poor Souls personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

THE PWNER posted:

You could always try Rat PVP. The Grave of Saints has relatively small areas without many NPCs or traps while the Doors of Pharros is big and leaves plenty of room to dodge around or tick people into traps.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

speaking of, can someone tell me what that arena-type place I see videos of two red phantoms fighting at is? I assume it's somewhere near the end of the game where people can duel, I just got the the dragon place in my playthrough.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

You could always try Rat PVP. The Grave of Saints has relatively small areas without many NPCs or traps while the Doors of Pharros is big and leaves plenty of room to dodge around or tick people into traps.

The rats aren't even remotely close to a fair fight.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Cardboard Box posted:

speaking of, can someone tell me what that arena-type place I see videos of two red phantoms fighting at is? I assume it's somewhere near the end of the game where people can duel, I just got the the dragon place in my playthrough.

Undead Purgatory has the Brotherhood of Blood arenas. It's not really near the end of the game at all though it is entirely optional if you don't want to get into the BoB/want the Undead Purgatory boss's stuff.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

Undead Purgatory has the Brotherhood of Blood arenas. It's not really near the end of the game at all though it is entirely optional if you don't want to get into the BoB/want the Undead Purgatory boss's stuff.

oh, that's pretty cool. I might do Brotherhood of Blood eventually, slowly working through other covenants right now. thanks for the info :)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Getting sunbro summons at 1.7mil SM seems to be a pain in the rear end.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Decided I should nab the Blue Flame for the sake of having it. Go to the bonfire, take a right fight the first guy there.

Guess who got a Blue Flame in under a 1 minute of gameplay? This guy. This guy right here.

Is it worth using this in PvP?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Though speaking of the BoB arenas, I've been doing them a bit lately and does it get you faster duels to sit at a statue until you get a hit or quit and try again if it doesn't give you a duel right off the bat?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I had decent luck at Looking Glass Knight

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Just play a bit to get 1mil soul memory then hang out at the second dragonrider fight at Drangleic Castle. It's piss easy and you'll get hits at up to 1.5mil.

Internet Kraken posted:

Wouldn't help with OIK, but you could try wearing the Red Eye Ring against other bosses to make them go after you.

Thanks for this, will do that! Much more helpful than "haha gently caress you go sunbro in other places you shitlord :smug:".

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 10, 2014

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

Though speaking of the BoB arenas, I've been doing them a bit lately and does it get you faster duels to sit at a statue until you get a hit or quit and try again if it doesn't give you a duel right off the bat?

Average time between hits is about the same but you can AFK while sitting at the statue.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
I just killed a dragonbro in the best way possible in the Iron Keep.

I was messing around with my Pursuer's sword, and was down to basically no health. I had it in two hands, and did a backstep-running attack combo on the guy for shiggles to see if it worked - I tanked the hit he dealt me and managed not to die, but in that moment I learned that the 2H running attack on the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword has knockup. Big time knockup. I launched his rear end right over the bridge into the lava :black101:.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nuebot posted:

That's where I'm at and I was getting hits in Tseldora cove alright. I've pretty much done the entire rest of the game save whatever's after the Looking Glass Knight and what's behind the King's doors.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

hey, does anyone know of any YouTube channels or whatever with some decent Dark Souls videos? I'm kinda too sick right now to concentrate on playing but I still have it on the brain so if I could watch someone who is interesting/funny/whatever play in the meantime that'd be cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cardboard Box posted:

I had decent luck at Looking Glass Knight

Yeah that works pretty well, thanks!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

Apparently it's from Shrine of Amana/After Velstadt. I'm guessing matchmaking just screwed up and put me up against higher SM people? Or is there an alternate way into Amana I don't know about?

There's a way to skip the Shrine of Winter via some tricky jumps and seam walking shenanigans. I'm not sure you can do it without killing over 150k worth of bosses to still get matched with you but that's more about me not feeling like routing it out.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 10, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey did you know that the Throne Buddies can revive each other?

With full hp? :smithicide:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey did you know that the Throne Buddies can revive each other?

It's like the opposite of the ornstein & smough fight. You need to keep their HP meters pretty close to eachother so you can finish both of them off at once.

quote:

I've pretty much done the entire rest of the game save whatever's after the Looking Glass Knight
Prepare yourself for the worst section of the game.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 10, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Or you just get a free series of spells to destroy the survivor.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Got 'em so I can invade lowbie worlds and pretend to be a wall. NOPE, turns out you can't block with them both at the same time, you can just do a cumbersome attack that isn't all that good. Argh I reset that bonfire three times to get those stupid things. And they're garbage weapons in general. Lame!

In related news, I just spent a half hour murdering cops at SM 50,000. I am beginning to suspect there's absolutely no system in place to stop cheating, given that this is still pretty close to launch and if they'd be policing their content at any time, they'd be doing it now.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Hey just so you all know that glitch on consoles where you faced an endless stream of royal guardsmen at Drangelic Castle and the doors won't open that was supposedly patched out isn't patched out on PC. Happened to me just now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So would it be cool or lovely if The Pursuer did as his name implied and chased you though the entire game with the possibility of showing up any time in any place? I think it could be tense as hell but also maybe annoying and kinda break the whole "this area was designed in this way" aspect of the series.

I dunno for some reason I love games with giant monsters that constantly chase you.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Curious as to what the "two lost lands" being referred to here are.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Got 'em so I can invade lowbie worlds and pretend to be a wall. NOPE, turns out you can't block with them both at the same time, you can just do a cumbersome attack that isn't all that good. Argh I reset that bonfire three times to get those stupid things. And they're garbage weapons in general. Lame!

They gave greatshields these new powerful looking attack animations but they're still loving trash. The game's full of wasted potential.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mystic Mongol posted:

In related news, I just spent a half hour murdering cops at SM 50,000. I am beginning to suspect there's absolutely no system in place to stop cheating, given that this is still pretty close to launch and if they'd be policing their content at any time, they'd be doing it now.

They stated they disabled VAC temporarily to fix some issues with it. So you're safe for a bit longer, if you were ever in any danger to begin with.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cardboard Box posted:

hey, does anyone know of any YouTube channels or whatever with some decent Dark Souls videos? I'm kinda too sick right now to concentrate on playing but I still have it on the brain so if I could watch someone who is interesting/funny/whatever play in the meantime that'd be cool.

There's always VaatiVidya if you want Dark Souls lore speculation.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Stokes posted:

Hey just so you all know that glitch on consoles where you faced an endless stream of royal guardsmen at Drangelic Castle and the doors won't open that was supposedly patched out isn't patched out on PC. Happened to me just now.

I thought this was by design when I saw it but okay. I just came back after getting more souls.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Drakes posted:

You must have the worst luck, I see that incredibly rarely. The feller generally being some min/maxxer whos just sitting around to tear through the scrubs.

Getting invaded in the DS1 forest was much less irritating than the belfry. The matchmaking was shoddy so it usually didn't dump two phantoms on you asap, the place was much larger allowing more room to run and scatter to, and I don't recall the NPCs hitting like a truck. The belfry midgets can probably 2-3 shot most early characters.

Bad luck? It's good luck. I don't enjoy squashing people just trying to do the content. When I get summoned and thers another phantom there, I'll wait till he dies or the host dies. I don't do 2v1 unless the guys an ultra dick (dual havelyner or something), or has summoned other phantoms. I'm a true bellbro!

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

THE PWNER posted:

Honor does not exist in my belfry.

Only grief, and those that are sexually attracted to chunks of titanite.

But yeah I'd deem invading into a barren belfry to sorta be bad luck. It means the fella is up for business, I just hit belfry for the cheap thrills and chunks :effort:.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Liquid Penguins posted:

I thought this was by design when I saw it but okay. I just came back after getting more souls.

They are supposed to infinitely spawn so you can always open the doors. Never heard of any glitch where the doors wouldn't open even if you kill something near the two golems but I also didn't look at any DS2 information until I could actually play it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Is the general advice for fighting vendrick to go naked?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I've discovered something amazing!

There actually ARE varying levels of hollowness in the game, it's just that it's only Unhollow/Hollow/Superhollow

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

They gave greatshields these new powerful looking attack animations but they're still loving trash. The game's full of wasted potential.

What does everything have to loving one shot just so it isn't trash?

Boss weapons are trash.

This is trash.

WHAT ISN'T TRASH TO YOU.

:colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I've discovered something amazing!

There actually ARE varying levels of hollowness in the game, it's just that it's only Unhollow/Hollow/Superhollow

Is anyone else bugged by the bright frankenstein green you get just by going slightly hollow? I liked the DS1 pale dried mummy look better personally.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

What? They are NOT garbage. The dual attacks with those greatshields are amazing! If you can hit the opponent with them, at least. I love those things.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
As a sinner, I found that I can use the Belfry Sol summon glitch to make grey phantoms and blue arbiters fight each other for my enjoyment while I fight Alonne knights for fun off in the distance. Justice has never been so corrupt.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Shindragon posted:

What does everything have to loving one shot just so it isn't trash?

Boss weapons are trash.

This is trash.

WHAT ISN'T TRASH TO YOU.

:colbert:

Not necessarily one-shot but being viable at all past a gimmick would be nice.

And I just feel that it's lovely that boss weapons are really difficult to upgrade and tend to demand crazy stat investments but are nearly all shittier than your +10 weapon-you-start-with.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cowcaster posted:

Is anyone else bugged by the bright frankenstein green you get just by going slightly hollow? I liked the DS1 pale dried mummy look better personally.

In DS1 you dried out when you hollowed, in DS2 you are a corpse found floating in the ocean (the one you leap into in the intro)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What? They are NOT garbage. The dual attacks with those greatshields are amazing! If you can hit the opponent with them, at least.

You don't say. Well, go try to kill some cops with them and tell me how it goes.