Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Wow all this talk about Blood's endgame has me spacing here... why exactly did Slade even bother trying to get him into office? So when things got bad he wouldn't call in the national guard? That's it? Thats the crack team that would have assembled fast enough to have shut Slade's army down on their night of chaos?

He recruited Slade's army. Becoming mayor was the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

He recruited Slade's army. Becoming mayor was the deal.

Yeah, Brother blood had the responsibility of rounding up the prisoners and other unsavory people and then transforming them with mirakuru.

And I guess dealing with all of the dead bodies of the people who failed to transform.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Blackchamber posted:

Wow all this talk about Blood's endgame has me spacing here... why exactly did Slade even bother trying to get him into office? So when things got bad he wouldn't call in the national guard? That's it? Thats the crack team that would have assembled fast enough to have shut Slade's army down on their night of chaos?

Slade never was that attached to Blood, even telling him to his face if Blood kept loving up he'd find somebody else to do the same work.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Drifter posted:

Yeah, Brother blood had the responsibility of rounding up the prisoners and other unsavory people and then transforming them with mirakuru.

And I guess dealing with all of the dead bodies of the people who failed to transform.

Ok yeah. He was doing blood drives and what not and thats where Sin's pal disappeared to.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Drifter posted:

But he did love it. He wanted to make it better and stronger than before. He just didn't care about the damage that his transformation of it would require - because it would end up being better.

Slade just wanted to randaomly burn it all down. Blood would have had a controlled deconstruction. ALthough I'm not sure what Blood was expecting by having criminals run rampant through his city for a night would do, maybe just set him up to be even more heroic when they finally left? Scare people into going along with what he tells them? I mean, the city was already pretty destroyed by the earthquakes.

So did he think that Slade's army was going to be a bunch of Season 1 Ollie's who don't have qualms about killing for a higher cause and got legitimately surprised when they went apeshit? That doesn't seem to objectionable as we all liked Ollie back then.

Why'd they have that side trip to the asylum with grandma? I think the whole thing would have worked better without it. Or maybe grandma was actually just senile.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So official A.R.G.U.S policy is "Drone Strikes Solve Everything" now?
Also did Sebastian seriously not get that Slade was a crazy person who was using him to stroke his massive revenge boner and would probably kill him the first moment it's convenient?
God drat this show's dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

Also did Sebastian seriously not get that Slade was a crazy person who was using him to stroke his massive revenge boner and would probably kill him the first moment it's convenient?

If he had he'd be wrong. Slade only killed him for the betrayal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Might be dumb, but it's still better than Agents of Shield.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

teagone posted:

That's where I'd have to disagree with you. I watch both. Anyways to keep it from getting off topic. This show my be dumb but that's just part of the charm for me.

edit:

Aphrodite posted:

From how Isobel and Slade acted around him I'm pretty sure they would have just killed him either way once he served his purpose. His betrayal was just a good excuse.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 10, 2014

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Not necessarily. If you stopped watching AoS, you are missing some pretty good TV. It's grown on me. Sure, it has a much larger budget, but they've definitely picked up the pace.

Id say they are both doing well now. And TV can handle a few good comic book shows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SHIELD has a much larger budget and yet looks so much cheaper.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Next year is going to ruin my DVR just with comic book shows. Flash, Constantine, iZombie, Arrow, Shield, Peggy Carter, sheesh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I still like that Blood was able to get the antidote away from Slade. I mean why wouldn't he destroy it right away or put it in a safe. I guess he just left it on the table and stared out the window at the burning cityscape.

SpannerX posted:

Not necessarily. If you stopped watching AoS, you are missing some pretty good TV. It's grown on me. Sure, it has a much larger budget, but they've definitely picked up the pace.

Id say they are both doing well now. And TV can handle a few good comic book shows.

Shield is still bad, just less bad than it was for the first 2/3rds of the season. It isn't even as good as S1 of Arrow was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Next year is going to ruin my DVR just with comic book shows. Flash, Constantine, iZombie, Arrow, Shield, Peggy Carter, sheesh.

And Seth Rogen's trying to get Preacher off the ground, as well as a Scalped pilot, the Netflix shows AND Powers on PSN.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sounds par for the course for most US agencies these days :smug:

quote:

Sebastian was also crazy in a number of ways. Perhaps that was his weakness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Goddamn I hope this works out.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Why is the Flash wearing lipstick.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oracle posted:

Why is the Flash wearing lipstick.

You gotta coordinate.

Gatito
Mar 29, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Wow, that was some really lazy shop.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Your lips get proper chapped running that fast.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Aphrodite posted:

SHIELD has a much larger budget and yet looks so much cheaper.

The two shows have different requirements, I imagine that a lot of what happens on Arrow can be done with practical effect, not so much on Shield. Arrow generally looks really good, you can sometimes see how small the budget is, like in the latest episode where every explosion was basically just a few sparks and a stunt guy doing a backflip.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Astro Nut posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Why isn't it autumn yet?! :flashfap:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have always been more of a Marvel fan, but Flash is one of the few DC characters I have always wanted to like, but never got around to actually reading.
I have mixed feelings about the characters as they were introduced on Arrow, but I look forward to the show starting. And I am happy that we will be having four Marvel and DC superhero shows on tv at the same time.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

I have always been more of a Marvel fan, but Flash is one of the few DC characters I have always wanted to like, but never got around to actually reading.
I have mixed feelings about the characters as they were introduced on Arrow, but I look forward to the show starting. And I am happy that we will be having four Marvel and DC superhero shows on tv at the same time.

It's blowing my mind how huge comic book properties are right now, and how many of them are actually quality entertainment. Hell, even Agents of SHIELD turned it around and I'm super excited for the next episode of that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Constantine is the one I'm pretty psyched for. That and Preacher.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

GreenNight posted:

Constantine is the one I'm pretty psyched for. That and Preacher.

As much as I love it, Preacher is never actually going to get made. It's been in HBO's hands for ~10 years and I don't think they know what to do with it. It's too violent and graphic even for them.

Edit: I see AMC had optioned it now. Good luck putting even half of the content on TV.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 10, 2014

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Yeah, I expect Constantine, and especially Preacher, to be a letdown in terms of what they do with it on TV.

...though if Preacher even has half of its content portrayed on TV, it will be fun to listen to the angry fundamentalist scream.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Amell shared a thing someone made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIVGPEGIHyI

Holy poo poo.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

Holy poo poo.

I know it makes me sound like an rear end, but while the effects are great, they should have kept the original lines and used Arrow's own music after the opening scroll. :colbert:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

GigaPeon posted:

Why'd they have that side trip to the asylum with grandma? I think the whole thing would have worked better without it. Or maybe grandma was actually just senile.

They needed Laurel to know he was bad so that she could tell Ollie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BreakAtmo posted:

Holy poo poo.

They used the Wilhelm Scream :3:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

For all of DC's problems with launching a movie universe, all FOUR of their proposed television shows made it to series. Constantine on NBC, Gotham on Fox, and iZOmbie and Flash on the CW. That is ludicrously successful, and great news all around.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah but the problem for me is that DC's going for the whole "let's rip off The Dark Knight trilogy by making everything all Dark and edgy because that was the only reason why people say they are good movies" thing that DC has been doing for the past ten or so years. That's honestly the biggest problem with this show. They spend so much time ripping off batman that this show honestly doesn't get enough time to be it's own thing.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah but the problem for me is that DC's going for the whole "let's rip off The Dark Knight trilogy by making everything all Dark and edgy because that was the only reason why people say they are good movies" thing that DC has been doing for the past ten or so years. That's honestly the biggest problem with this show. They spend so much time ripping off batman that this show honestly doesn't get enough time to be it's own thing.

So DARK and EDGY

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

No not really.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, they're doing Green Arrow when it was critically acclaimed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Dark Knight Trilogy is the best screen interpretation of a comic book character basically ever. Drawing on that style is a massive part of what makes Arrow as good as it is.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Aren't the back stories more or less similar? At least the playboy turns vigilante part. Tommy almost had more of a batman back story than Ollie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

imperialparadox posted:

Yeah, I expect Constantine, and especially Preacher, to be a letdown in terms of what they do with it on TV.

...though if Preacher even has half of its content portrayed on TV, it will be fun to listen to the angry fundamentalist scream.

I'm not hopeful for Preacher. "gently caress" is used to often in the books it may as well be a member of the cast. It's inscribed on the drat lighter for God's sake, they can't change that.

• Locked thread