Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Kibayasu posted:

And I totally remember that snub the first time I played Cataclysm. If the third mission of HW1 gave me *~feelings~* for nondescript space ships the first mission in Cataclysm made me exclaim "Yeah? Well gently caress you too Sobani."

It's so fascinating how the two games can evoke feelings, but in such completely different ways. Cataclysm makes you care about the characters like you would those in a movie, whereas the original's much more.. Abstract. You're given much less personality to attach yourself to, but their plight is just so primal and essential, you feel more a part of the show in HW1 compared to the role of audience in Cataclysm, since the people in Cataclysm already fill the role of in-universe characters for you.

What they have most in common is how sublimely crafted the two emotional triggers are; they really were more than simple RTS games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Cataclysm is really basically a zombie movie in space, and I have to admit, seeing the uppity "warrior kiith" (aka the Arrogant Cop/Soldier Archetype) get owned and turned into space zombies felt pretty good after being snubbed by them even though we saved their asses.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
They've said gently caress all about the AI, I hope they do a serious overhaul of it though.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I bought all of my copies of Homeworld games on eBay, so I have the boxes and manuals. The original Homeworld manual is still a thing of beauty, they really don't make them like that anymore.

This is the Dustwars trailer that I am most familiar with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnvEFFCjSCw "The most anticipated strategy game of 2003"
I love the giant artifacts that all the ships are flying around.

Somewhere I have an old script for some of the dialogue they were working on, though I don't recall where I got it now--there's a tutorial mission where you have to stay in formation and they have all sorts of fun failure states.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Cataclysm was sooooo good. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDcELUCroDs

I first played this when I was like 13 or 14, and oh my god. Scared the poo poo out of me! I was like "No! No! Don't mess with that!!"

And then the screams started. Ohhh the screams... :gonk:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Libluini posted:

Man, you must be the best player ever. I remember getting curbstomped myself on more than one mission in Cataclysm. Also I should point out the adventures of clan Somtaaw are not everything that happens. If you follow the missions closely you see a lot of other poo poo happen in the background. Like the evacuation of a star system due to their sun going crazy and the main powers desperately fighting against the infected ships in later missions.

Oh, I almost forgot: The background info in the manual and some of the earlier missions make a huge deal of the new science ship the Somtaaw have built in addition to their two large mining ships. With that and the Somtaaw being the first to encounter the beast (and the only once to survice an encounter for a long while) it's no wonder the other factions get slapped around like children. In the beginning they don't have the experience of the Somtaaw in fighting the beast and in later missions it's no stretch of the imagination to assume the Somtaaw aren't taken seriously, since from the viewpoint of the militaries they're a bunch of miners and researchers, nothing more. (There's even this little subtle hint of this attitude at the end of the first mission, when the Somtaaw don't even get a honorable mention by the defending clans at the end of the battle, regardless of them stopping a dangerous breakthrough single-handedly.)

The key to that and many other missions was figuring out that the Acolyte missiles were absurdly powerful, able to both insta-gib equal numbers of fighters and deal heavy damage to capital ships. Coincidentally for quite some time this was also the winning solution to the multiplayer game. Swoop in with acolytes in wall formation, move to the front of the mothership in question, and eliminate one player.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 8, 2014

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Dud Cataclysm ever get any good mods? High res etc.?

Nothing that changes the game too much but I fancy having another look at it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Jet Jaguar posted:

I bought all of my copies of Homeworld games on eBay, so I have the boxes and manuals. The original Homeworld manual is still a thing of beauty, they really don't make them like that anymore.
Not unless you pre-order and pay and extra $100.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Cataclysm was sooooo good. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDcELUCroDs

I first played this when I was like 13 or 14, and oh my god. Scared the poo poo out of me! I was like "No! No! Don't mess with that!!"

I always thought that cutscene (the in-game one after the motion comic thing that is) was a little goofy. "Are you running any tests?" | "Not that I know of." *screams of agony and horror* "What was that?" I mean, okay, Command might not have heard it properly but you'd think the guy standing in the room with the screaming going on would notice something. Most of the voice acting in the game is good but that one scientist is just bad.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

CUT US LOOSE!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Warbadger posted:

The key to that and many other missions was figuring out that the Acolyte missiles were absurdly powerful, able to both insta-gib equal numbers of fighters and deal heavy damage to capital ships. Coincidentally for quite some time this was also the winning solution to the multiplayer game. Swoop in with acolytes in wall formation, move to the front of the mothership in question, and eliminate one player.

I had heard that the multiplayer for Cataclysm was like, hilarious because it actually ended up turning into a matter of jousting motherships with the Somtaaw faction where the goal was to siege cannon the gently caress out of the opponent's mothership with an emergency hyperspace jump in and out while avoiding as much damage/managing fleets as well as possible.

And that the Beast faction totally sucked rear end because they were completely vulnerable to this strategy, which was an even more hilarious parallel to the campaign.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Fereydun posted:

I had heard that the multiplayer for Cataclysm was like, hilarious because it actually ended up turning into a matter of jousting motherships with the Somtaaw faction where the goal was to siege cannon the gently caress out of the opponent's mothership with an emergency hyperspace jump in and out while avoiding as much damage/managing fleets as well as possible.

And that the Beast faction totally sucked rear end because they were completely vulnerable to this strategy, which was an even more hilarious parallel to the campaign.

Something like that. You'd think you'd play the Beast like the Zerg and just rush at the enemy, but that'll get your rear end killed real fast. Supposedly the Beast are meant to turtle for awhile and build up the tech tree by slowly assimilating what the enemies throw at them...

...but that doesn't work because they suck and will be swiftly removed by a Siege Cannon shot or acolyte rush or some poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

I always thought that cutscene (the in-game one after the motion comic thing that is) was a little goofy. "Are you running any tests?" | "Not that I know of." *screams of agony and horror* "What was that?" I mean, okay, Command might not have heard it properly but you'd think the guy standing in the room with the screaming going on would notice something. Most of the voice acting in the game is good but that one scientist is just bad.

Oh god, I forgot how loving intense that game could be. I always notice how that scientist starts of scared and confused, as if he couldn't believe what was happening and then he gets his poo poo together and warns Command. If I had played Cataclysm as a child, that cutscene, together with the motion comic in black and white and the music, would have given me nightmares.

The fact a video game is better at being a horror movie then every horror movie I can remember watching in my life is pretty loving funny, though. :v:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Fereydun posted:

The goal was to siege cannon the gently caress out of the opponent's mothership.
It's actually possible to blind fire the cannon across the map into the opposing mothership. Bloody difficult but the tears are worth it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Libluini posted:

Oh god, I forgot how loving intense that game could be. I always notice how that scientist starts of scared and confused, as if he couldn't believe what was happening and then he gets his poo poo together and warns Command. If I had played Cataclysm as a child, that cutscene, together with the motion comic in black and white and the music, would have given me nightmares.

The fact a video game is better at being a horror movie then every horror movie I can remember watching in my life is pretty loving funny, though. :v:

Just look at the cutscene again, and you'll find that they use some classic horror movie jump-cuts. Like, when poo poo starts to really go down, they jump to Command by zooming in on the bridge from a low close-up angle, the way you would show someone hearing something awful and dramatic while on the telephone in a horror movie. It's just really well done.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Libluini posted:

And an RTS, of all things.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Libluini posted:

I just don't think the scientist sounds scared and confused, he sounds like a developer they pulled in an hour before finalizing the release build. So scared and confused for a different reason I guess :v:

I think the scene would have been better if there was the suggestion that Command was talking to a being-consumed scientist that resisted for just long enough at the end to warn them. For example, instead of Command asking "What was that?" to really loud screams but instead asking that question to the same kind of voice modulation they gave to the Caal-Shto (the carrier you protect through the nebula after the Bentusi self-destruct) after it is. But all I can see is that moment in a horror movie where a side character doesn't see or hear the really obvious murder happening behind them, and the side character is played by a bad actor to boot.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

I just don't think the scientist sounds scared and confused, he sounds like a developer they pulled in an hour before finalizing the release build. So scared and confused for a different reason I guess :v:

I think the scene would have been better if there was the suggestion that Command was talking to a being-consumed scientist that resisted for just long enough at the end to warn them. For example, instead of Command asking "What was that?" to really loud screams but instead asking that question to the same kind of voice modulation they gave to the Caal-Shto (the carrier you protect through the nebula after the Bentusi self-destruct) after it is. But all I can see is that moment in a horror movie where a side character doesn't see or hear the really obvious murder happening behind them, and the side character is played by a bad actor to boot.

I chalk this down to people being different. In my case it seriously helped that I could barely read English at the time I first played Cataclysm and for the life of me couldn't follow the voice acting. So the only thing which really stuck with me was the sound of the voices, not what they were saying. But in the end everything is needed for the proper atmosphere, the motion comic, the music, the screams, the cuts -and the slowly growing corruption of the mother ship itself. And I just noticed watching that video again how the cuts in the scene subtly show the best angles to follow the beast eating away at the ship.

Really, in the end it works for me. Mostly I guess because I really cared for the Somtaaw after reading up their history before starting the game. Modern horror movies keep forgetting the "caring" part and turn into hilarious comedies with their over-the-top gore. Well, for me at last. After that one time I accidentally gave my mother nightmares by showing her a horror movie I honestly thought was meant as a dark comedy, I'm not so sure anymore my opinion is universally acceptable. :v:

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Fereydun posted:

Beast Tech Tree was weird. You started with all basic tech available, so you could research any ship type from the start. You could in theory straight rush for Battle Cruiser. Beast however could only ever Research one thing at a time, though you could pay Mothership HP for a boost to several systems Research beingn one of them.
Somtaaw had a bunch of Research Modules that you had to build, but each one could do a separate research project. So Beast generally wanted to end the game quick or keep pressure on Somtaaw as Beast Units start out very tough to kill and slow but eventually Somtaaw will out tech a Beast Player. This is made even worse by the fact that the Beast is completely unable to research most tech Upgrades without Somtaaw having them, this is because to get stuff like Armor 2 or Energy weapons the Somtaaw has to first Research them than the Beast has to Infect a unit with that upgrade. Beast is completely reliant on Somtaaw for the fancier toys.

Most Beast strategy revolved around getting something started before Somtaaw could get research rolling. So rushing one of the heavier ships while pressuring with Fighters or Corvettes. Somtaaw did have one disadvantage since they were so reliant on modules for everything a beast player could try and keep pressure on the Mothership and constantly take them out, the Beast Mothership only used Modules for Pop Cap so one strat involved rushing the Motherships into battle with each other, you could get a really funny advantage by forcing the beast Mothership to flip sideways or upside down and go under the Somtaaw MS, since the Beast had most of its weapons on the underside and Somtaaw had most of the weapons topside the Beast had a firepower advantage in this situation

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

Fereydun posted:

The single most annoying part of Somtaaw was their micro-ships. I don't remember cannons being anything other than an irritant, the micro-ships were a nightmare.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

MadHat posted:

Most Beast strategy revolved around getting something started before Somtaaw could get research rolling. So rushing one of the heavier ships while pressuring with Fighters or Corvettes. Somtaaw did have one disadvantage since they were so reliant on modules for everything a beast player could try and keep pressure on the Mothership and constantly take them out, the Beast Mothership only used Modules for Pop Cap so one strat involved rushing the Motherships into battle with each other, you could get a really funny advantage by forcing the beast Mothership to flip sideways or upside down and go under the Somtaaw MS, since the Beast had most of its weapons on the underside and Somtaaw had most of the weapons topside the Beast had a firepower advantage in this situation

I was never any good, but my strategy in skrimish mode was basically rushing BCs since they could get an additional infection ray. They did a decent amount of damage against cap ships if you didn't have infection targets available. A couple times I tried swinging my mothership around like a battering ram, since you could so some pretty nasty collision damage to other ships with it.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
So I found my old Cataclysm CD in an old moving box. Browsing around the internet I found a way to get it running. Here's a compiled list of things you need to do for Windows 8 (I don't know what is absolutely needed, its just what I did):

-Install to default Sierra foldier

-Install 1.0.0.1 patch ( http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/HomeworldSeriesUpdates.html )

-Install Windows 8 hardware acceleration for WinNT 4.0 ( http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/5-homeworld-hardware-acceleration-fix/ ) , extract it to your Cataclysm folder and run the .bat

-Create a shortcut to Cataclysm on your desktop

-Set compatibility to WindowsXP service pack 3

-Right click the new shortcut and add "/triple /disableAVI /noglddraw /heap 268435456" after "C:\Sierra\Cataclysm\cataclysm.exe". No quotes. When you're done it will look like

C:\Sierra\Cataclysm\cataclysm.exe /triple /disableAVI /noglddraw /heap 268435456

-You may or may not have to run it as administrator

It still only starts 1 out of 3 times that I run it but once I got it going I havent had any problems.

If you can't get the resolution to change in the options menu (It freaks out and pushed the menu to the lower right of the screen or crashed when you try to change it ) then:

Set resolution in registry

Open the Registry Editor:
Vista and newer: open the Start screen/Start menu, type regedit, press ↵ Enter.
Windows XP: press ⊞ Win+R, type regedit, press ↵ Enter.
-Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sierra On-Line\Homeworld
-Edit the ScreenHeight and ScreenWidth values to match your chosen resolution (Use Decimal option for regular pixel sizes).
-If the resolution doesn't take effect after doing the above, try running the game in Administrator mode.

Example:

Most of this info is here:
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Homeworld#Widescreen_resolution
The rest was taken from random forums

Hope this helps some folks.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Dirt5o8 posted:

Nightmare fuel.

I knew that Win8 didn't take too kindly on old games, but that's just horrifying.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

THE BAR posted:

I knew that Win8 didn't take too kindly on old games, but that's just horrifying.
Pretty sure that's also the same process to get HW1 to run in widescreen on Windows 7.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Are you sure you actually needed to do all that? I'm running Win8 x64 and all I had to do was install off the discs. I've been playing through Cataclysm again in anticipation of the reboot, and have had zero problems so far.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 10, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Beast in multiplayer had a frigate that cast a defence shield. They also had a frigate that could cloak.

Do you know what happens when you drive those two together up to the siege cannon?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

Are you sure you actually needed to do all that? I'm running Win8 x64 and all I had to do was install off the discs. I've been playing through Cataclysm again in anticipation of the reboot, and have had zero problems so far.

Similar for me, I had to do some dumb poo poo I can't remember anymore to get HW1 running, but to my utter surprise I just had to install Cataclysm from my old disc and it worked instantly. On Windows 7. I was baffled, I tell you!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Libluini posted:

Similar for me, I had to do some dumb poo poo I can't remember anymore to get HW1 running, but to my utter surprise I just had to install Cataclysm from my old disc and it worked instantly. On Windows 7. I was baffled, I tell you!

Yeah, Homeworld requires you to reinstall NT and force the game to recognize the Win8 version, because D3D/OpenGL bug out on newer systems. That issue hits Vista/7 as well though, so it's not 8 specific. Cataclysm so far is just install and play.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, Homeworld requires you to reinstall NT and force the game to recognize the Win8 version, because D3D/OpenGL bug out on newer systems. That issue hits Vista/7 as well though, so it's not 8 specific. Cataclysm so far is just install and play.

Sometimes this poo poo just gets me. On one side you have games like Cataclysm or Space Empires V which run fine even on systems their makers never dreamed of, then you have games like HW1 or Silverfall who force you through a series of obstacles like some deranged intelligence test. (SEV even runs better on Win7 then on older systems. Also Silverfall absolutely refuses to work on my Win7 computers. Most likely because the plan to make it work is so arcane and complex I keep making mistakes following it. Add an installation process which takes hours to complete and you have a total clusterfuck.)

How can this happen? Are some companies just blessed with extraordinary good programmers, or what?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I should try again to be sure but every time I've reinstalled HW1 or Cataclysm all I've needed to do was do some registry tweaking to get widescreen resolutions and set the game to run in Software mode.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Yeah, its always been a hassle for me to get these games to work these past 5-6 years or so. I don't know if every step is needed but a lot of those tweaks in the the path line add some extra functionality to it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

Pretty sure that's also the same process to get HW1 to run in widescreen on Windows 7.

Oh, I have no idea about widescreen, but the game installs just fine off the CD in Win7, in any case.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Kibayasu posted:

And I totally remember that snub the first time I played Cataclysm. If the third mission of HW1 gave me *~feelings~* for nondescript space ships the first mission in Cataclysm made me exclaim "Yeah? Well gently caress you too Sobani."

I remember the first time I retired a (frigate?) in HW1. The voice actor says "Roger - making final run" with just enough sadness poking through the normally professional tones that I was all ":( oh gently caress I'm sorry I'll try not to do that again". Of course that wore off after a while and eventually I was happy to throw that fighter wing in chipper because we need a drat ion frigate now, but it was such a nice touch.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Gearbox revealed a few things about the remaster at PAX today: the LE comes with a USB powered light up Hiigara model and the game will run at 4K resolution: http://kotaku.com/homeworld-remastered-gets-the-collectors-edition-it-de-1562741550

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Collector's edition pre-orders are up now, what are you doing with your giant banana? I'm painting mine yellow.

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1160/homeworld-remastered-collection-collector-s-edition-now-available-for-pre-order

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Seems you can't pre-order/purchase that outside of the United States, oh well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Seems you can't pre-order/purchase that outside of the United States, oh well.

Well that's a kick in the nuts. I'm totally prepared to drop money on that thing to get it to Canada.

Edit: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=370856

According to that they are going to hold onto some units for when they find a international shipping "solution" so I'd keep a close eye on the Gearbox website.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 10, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yep, went ahead and spent 100 dollars on a foot-long trinket and an artbook.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep, went ahead and spent 100 dollars on a foot-long trinket and an artbook.

Word.

But it will be worth it just for that sweet LED-Lit up trinket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Rip cannon pong and being able to shoot acv missiles across the entire map with unlimited range using the tool shortcut menu.

• Locked thread