Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

Yes, I counted "alcoholic Doc Brown and not-Marty McFly get in wacky inappropriate adventures."

Cool inaccurate reductionism bro :thumbsup:

precision posted:

like even worse than the Simpsons.
Just a tick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Irish Joe posted:

Its a shame, really, because by all accounts Dan Harmon was given a free pass for season 5. He could have done anything with the show but, instead of shaking up the status quo, advancing the characters and flexing his creative muscles, he chose to rehash the same old concept episodes people have been sick of since the third season.

He could have done that, and to me that's the worst part of all this. Judging from interviews and his podcast, he turned season 5 into a monument to mediocrity just because he was afraid to offend shippers and the people who go to conventions.

zoux posted:

Uh, rick and morty son.

I love Rick and Morty, but to be fair it's pretty much "an endless stream of parodies of other, more popular and memorable things..."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Cool inaccurate reductionism bro :thumbsup:

He's right though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I don't feel like Dan Harmon is nearly as clever or creative as the internet gives him credit for, unless an endless stream of parodies of other, more popular and memorable things is your idea of "clever".

See, the references were never that funny to me. My favorite episodes were the ones that played with storytelling conventions or explored character relationships in interesting ways. Cooperative Calligraphy and Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking from season 2 are brilliantly written episodes that are just about how seven people relate to one another. And while Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (also from season 2) is famously "the D&D episode," its not the D&D references that make it good. What makes it good is how the characters' (and by extension, the audiences') imaginations are used as a storytelling device.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, everything is going to seem lame when you deliberately simplify it to make it seem that way. You're intentionally ignoring the ways in which both of those shows use their parodies as conceits for a larger purpose like providing commentary on character relationships.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is there a running list of everything cancelled across all networks this season?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mordiceius posted:

Is there a running list of everything cancelled across all networks this season?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/09/list-of-renewed-and-cancelled-broadcast-shows-for-the-2013-14-broadcast-season/261970/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jesus. Looking at this list shows me how loving little I actually watch nowadays. Majority of these shows I've never heard of.

Did that Surviving Jack show ever even air? I remember seeing a preview for it on Hulu like a month ago. I mean, it looked loving awful, but I didn't think it had actually even started.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Mordiceius posted:

Jesus. Looking at this list shows me how loving little I actually watch nowadays. Majority of these shows I've never heard of.

Did that Surviving Jack show ever even air? I remember seeing a preview for it on Hulu like a month ago. I mean, it looked loving awful, but I didn't think it had actually even started.

It's been running on Thursdays since late March. A few people here have watched it and said it's an okay show. But like most midseason replacements with late start dates, it will be burned off and forgotten about entirely.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I'm willing to sacrifice Community to get rid off Dads. gently caress that show.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Popelmon posted:

I'm willing to sacrifice Community to get rid off Dads. gently caress that show.

You and me both. My mother-in-law came to visit a few months ago and she wanted to watch that show while here. Holy poo poo, what a painfully unfunny show. My wife and I spent the whole time cringing. Luckily, I was able to not pay much attention since I spent my time in the kitchen cooking dinner. Either way, gently caress that unfunny piece of poo poo show so hard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm actually surprised that Dads flopped, because the cynic in me thought there would have been a bunch of people who ate that poo poo up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
:siren::siren:Norm MacDonald Podcast Returns This Monday, May 12:siren::siren:

What's the Norm MacDonald Podcast, you ask? Its Norm MacDonald's podcast, idiot. Every week Norm interviews a famous celebrity, swaps jokes with Hitler-apologist Adam Egret and performs in one of his trademark comedy bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXB5hMCvViY

For those who've never heard of him, first off, gently caress you. Second, Norm MacDonald is a tremendously funny comedian of the 'nothing's sacred' variety:

He was on SNL for six months before being fired, headlined two awful movies, had his own terrible ABC sitcom and, more recently, hosted the one season failure, Sports Show with Norm MacDonald on Comedy Central (the entirety of which is available on youtube). However, you'll probably recognize him from his frequent appearances on Comedy Central roasts, delivering what commentators call "anti-comedy."

With a resume like that, how bad can the podcast be? The answer is not bad at all. There's no tedious improv, no teenagers swapping stupid in-jokes and no angry social commentary. It just a funny dude and his funny friends saying funny things for 90 minutes. Give Norm a chance to work his magic and I guarantee you'll have a good time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

He was on SNL for six months before being fired

Might want to re-check your sources on that one Joe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Can we effectively count this as the season where ABC picked up the idiot ball from NBC and ran it into the metaphorical end zone?

Their constant search for the One Show that will retain viewers from Modern Family has led to so many casualties. (I haven't looked at the upfronts, but have they confirmed what's in the death slot this fall?)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

Might want to re-check your sources on that one Joe.

:negative:

Sometimes I wonder if I should stop stating facts from memory that I never knew in the first place.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Rick and Morty is more Justin Roiland's baby than anything, anyways.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People in the R&M thread have actually been praising Harmon for being there to tone down Roiland after seeing a bunch of the cartoons he made a while back. They're real hosed up, I don't recommend watching any of them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is Bad Teacher based on that Cameron Diaz movie nobody saw? If so, who the gently caress asked for that? I caught the last 10 minutes of an episode before Elementary last night and it was excruciating.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

It's fine on NBC and aside from adding swears or titties I don't know how it would even change on a premium network.
The last time NBC had a critically acclaimed drama was The West Wing, a decade ago. That's why.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey just so everybody is aware-

Last Man Standing isn't a very good show

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

Is Bad Teacher based on that Cameron Diaz movie nobody saw? If so, who the gently caress asked for that? I caught the last 10 minutes of an episode before Elementary last night and it was excruciating.

I saw that movie, it was pretty funny. It was a really successful movie which made lots of money. I haven't seen the show but as a premise for a sitcom you could do a lot worse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought a sequel was coming too? Saw the movie with a few people and we all liked it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Warning: This post is apropos of nothing.

Young Nikki Cox has the most insane proportions I've ever seen on a woman. Holy poo poo.

That is all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was in love with Nikki Cox when I was a teen and she was on that weird puppet show.
Then things went weirdly wrong over the years. It started with Las Vegas but now I don't know what happened.

Randomly I clicked on the Community thread this afternoon to see how they were reacting to it being cancelled. I skimmed it and didn't notice much. Came back a few hours later and there were 100 new posts which blew my mind. Naturally a decent amount of them were complaining about other shows on tv being worse than Community. I see that thread never changed since I quit the show in Season 3.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Leave parks and rec out of this, community fans!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Daily Show senior black correspondent Larry Wilmore is taking the Colbert slot.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

So Daily Show senior black correspondent Larry Wilmore is taking the Colbert slot.

I watch TDS almost every day and I had to look this guy up. Not quite sure what his shtick is going to be.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bitching about white people

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

JohnSherman posted:

I watch TDS almost every day and I had to look this guy up. Not quite sure what his shtick is going to be.

He's calling his show The Minority Report.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GreenNight posted:

He's calling his show The Minority Report.

I saw. That's awesome.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I was in love with Nikki Cox when I was a teen and she was on that weird puppet show.
Then things went weirdly wrong over the years. It started with Las Vegas but now I don't know what happened.
Plastic surgery is a helluva drug.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
This thread is like a hurricane.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Mission Control got picked up, which means we will finally have Krysten Ritter back on TV.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mission Control got picked up, which means we will finally have Krysten Ritter back on TV.

Thanks, just seeing her name means I feel an overwhelming desire to watch Don't Trust the B for the, like, fourth time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't know where you guys get the time to watch shows multiple times (assuming most of you aren't in college or something). I barely have time these days to watch through a series once, and I'm still way behind. I haven't even watched The Wire or Breaking Bad yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you took scenes of Michael Pitt from Hannibal and from Boardwalk Empire and showed them to somebody out of context I have to wonder if they'd be able to tell they were the same person.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
If I didn't see Michael Pitt roll by in the credits or heard about his appearance I'd be hard pressed as well to even know it was him versus Jimmy in Boardwalk.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

raditts posted:

I don't know where you guys get the time to watch shows multiple times (assuming most of you aren't in college or something). I barely have time these days to watch through a series once, and I'm still way behind. I haven't even watched The Wire or Breaking Bad yet.

I used to be able to watch shows multiple times, but my student life and resulting social life in the past year has rendered that activity null and void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

I watch much fewer shows than most people, actually, I think. Most of my TV watching is done while I'm doing something else (for most of the year, it's during work). I'm always either streaming something or listening to music while I do stuff.

I almost never give my full attention to a show unless it's something like Fargo, Game of Thrones, etc., and even then only on first viewing.

Like for example right now I'm "watching" Venture Bros. but doing like three other things.

• Locked thread