Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Mag Now and C Storm seems like it would be great on offense. But it is so easy to beat on defense. OBW can get lucky on D with cascades or just with how tiles fall down. That plus Espionage. If she can lock you out with steals to feed Thor and heals its tough to come back.

That being said, its rare that I lose to her. It just requires careful play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Can someone who's not in a poo poo bracket tell me what time they join? Because I'm at 800 loving points and not even in the top 50 and pretty thoroughly sick of this poo poo.

Edit: Nah forget it I'm loving done.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 10, 2014

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I joined Top Gun with about 32-36 hours left like I usually do, and found myself in a bracket with Nemek and everybody near the top 10 up over 1000 points. This one sucks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I pretty much join 12-24hours after an event start.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arschlochkind posted:

I joined Top Gun with about 32-36 hours left like I usually do, and found myself in a bracket with Nemek and everybody near the top 10 up over 1000 points. This one sucks.

People want them Patch covers.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Mister Macys posted:

People want them Patch covers.

Yep. I just wanted a red but I can't even stay in the top 50.

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

Arschlochkind posted:

For the past two PvP events, the amount of effort that used to put me in to the top 10 or top 20, now won't even put me into the top 50.

I don't know if something has changed with how they formed brackets, or just that with how the events have been staggered, people are just naturally joining late. (Or there was some pro-post somewhere telling everyone to start late, which seems just as likely)

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!
Yeah, things are real rough lately especially with these events having double meanings (points counting for Season 1 totals). The number 10 spot in my bracket has 1000 points exactly. I'm in 18th place right now with 909 points and I'm probably going to be lame and shield through the rest of the event, hoping for a Top 50 spot and a red cover.

JBones
Aug 21, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

I pretty much join 12-24hours after an event start.

I think I'll start trying to join at like 7am EST or something. That way I'm less likely to bump into little kids and late night gamers.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've decided to give away my fairly complete 2* account. In game name is 'breadly' - I'm the 20th member of Pizza Dogs.

Peace

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Just started playing this game. Should I be spending my gold coin things on leveling up my starting heroes (ie Iron Man) or on covers to try to get better ones?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

starkebn posted:

I've decided to give away my fairly complete 2* account. In game name is 'breadly' - I'm the 20th member of Pizza Dogs.

Peace

Woah maybe you should have saved that for pms or something. :stare: but if it goes to a regular player thats fine too I guess.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Derek Agony posted:

Just started playing this game. Should I be spending my gold coin things on leveling up my starting heroes (ie Iron Man) or on covers to try to get better ones?

Neither, save it for more cover slots.

JBones
Aug 21, 2002

starkebn posted:

Peace

Not cool brah.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah with this thread in games odds are it's been snapped up by a non-goon already.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In any case, Pizza Dogs has a 20th spot open. Either to someone taking over breadly's account, or we can make space for you if you want!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

JBones posted:

Not cool brah.

As a (Master)card carrying whale you could easily find a place in a strong alliance. Just one post in the recruitment thread on the d3 forums and you'll get a bunch of bites.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Nah, he'd miss the melodious sound of my voice.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This is loving ridiculous. I pushed to 850 and shielded in the high 20s now I'm down to the mid 40s and it's looking increasingly likely that I won't get a single loving cover. That score would have easily netted me top 10 a couple weeks ago.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
How many events are left in the pvp season? I've got a little over 1500 to get the 10-pack, but I pretty obviously can't get more than about 500-600 per event without getting crabbed right back down under it. I just wonder if there's enough events left to still make it or if I should just give up.

And before anyone tells me to shield, I can't get high enough in the events before the crabbing starts to make it worthwhile.

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!
Well there's 9 days left, and the Ragnarok one just started. Each one typically goes for two days with another one starting around when the last one ends. So probably three more after this Ragnarok one. You should be fine to get your 1500.

Also it's funny looking at the rankings. The entire Top 25 is shielded. I haven't seen past that.

JBones
Aug 21, 2002

Snazzy Frocks posted:

As a (Master)card carrying whale you could easily find a place in a strong alliance. Just one post in the recruitment thread on the d3 forums and you'll get a bunch of bites.

1) it's an Amex
2) I'd rather play with goons
3) you don't understand #2, so I can only assume you're jealous of my #1

Love you

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!
Looks like a post popped up on the D3 forums tonight regarding PvP brackets flying off the sensible train and going straight into "what the gently caress"-ville. It's insanely competitive now and scores are getting ridiculously high. Some folks seem to have suspicions that the latest patch started creating PvP brackets based on MMR instead of join times. It'll be interesting what the D3 guys say over there about it, if anything.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

I was about rank 170 with 570 points and 20 minutes to go.

:v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Got knocked down to #52. :negative:

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Syrinxx posted:

This is loving ridiculous. I pushed to 850 and shielded in the high 20s now I'm down to the mid 40s and it's looking increasingly likely that I won't get a single loving cover. That score would have easily netted me top 10 a couple weeks ago.

Yep, I'm losing interest.

My 739 points in Top Gun were enough for 76th place in my bracket. 10th had 1002 points. I broke my shield 15 minutes before the end in a last gasp attempt to climb to the top 50, but I only ended up losing points.

I don't think I can compete in this game any longer, and it looks like AgentsofGOON isn't going to be getting top 100 finishes any longer in anything. I think I might be done with the game, but should I be, I'll make sure to make room in the alliance.

e: Just noticed that Snazzy Frocks was in my bracket. At least you didn't miss out on two Patches. :)

Follow That Fish! fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 10, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The MMR theory makes sense. I had a really excellent ratings tank on Lightning Rounds this week.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Placed 5th place...and I scored a red Classic Magneto out of a standard token :smug:

Too bad I'm out of ISO :negative:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Not sure if it was posted but ** Daken got nerfed today. His max level strike tiles are 24 now instead of 38. Hopefully Patch and Punisher are next.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm still annoyed I went from like rank 15 in the hardmode oscorp thing to 150 something. It would make sense if it were possible to do those missions, but they're one and done. Did more people just start that or what? How even are there rankings for this if you can only beat it once anyway?

Goldom
Feb 19, 2009

The governor has given a rats-alert advising people to stay in their homes.

Khanstant posted:

I'm still annoyed I went from like rank 15 in the hardmode oscorp thing to 150 something. It would make sense if it were possible to do those missions, but they're one and done. Did more people just start that or what? How even are there rankings for this if you can only beat it once anyway?

It earns points from the subevents - there's one right now, it unlocks after you play the one-time stages.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Once you finish the missions it opens up a sub-event, whose points then pool back to the main Oscorp ratings.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Not sure if it was posted but ** Daken got nerfed today. His max level strike tiles are 24 now instead of 38. Hopefully Patch and Punisher are next.
Devastating news for mid-level players that like to use Daken.

Terrific news for people like me that have to deal with a insanely scaled-up PVE version of him!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Syrinxx posted:

What a bizarre thing to FUNbalance. Daken really wasn't that good aside from wacky desert hijinks with Modern Storm. It's a silly gimmick team that gets demolished on the retaliation.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The strike tiles made up for Daken's low max level. His entire purpose, his joie de vivre, was to be annoying. This is a bad tweak, even if it totally helps me.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
He gonna end up getting the Lazy Daken blue skill?

DrowningHarvey
Mar 24, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Got knocked down to #52. :negative:

#51 here. Time to go punch something.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Devastating news for mid-level players that like to use Daken.

Yup, sigh. It's not like he can do a goddamn thing to damage the other team, unless he is able to poo poo out a ton of strike tiles.

I think my best defensive combo has been Thor, Daken and whoever is featured in the PVP event. It's not very good, but it's closest to something someone might consider whether they want to attack it or not. I know I've lost some games to sheer number of Daken's strike tiles, guess that'll be less of a factor now.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Syrinxx posted:

You can also see LDaken's skills now. Healing factor works based on how many blue tiles there are instead of yellow, and his blue skill starts out costing 5 and turns some blue tiles into green while turning some friendly strike tiles into basics and damaging the target for each tile converted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh I knew about the subevent. I do now see that it is still the determinate of that other rank. For some reason I figured they were separate.

On another note, I usually do the PvP events with whatever scrub they force on you, Storm Modern and Black Widow Modern and pick the desert stage. It's usually really safe to fight other Storms, but goddamn when they get an early lucky crit or something, tasting your own medicine is super bitter. Especially as you have to watch yourself get avalanches with hilariously non-optimal matches. I'm glad the AI takes four matches like bait and are predictable. The fact that it rarely activates such an easy death chain is a godsend, especially since ever other puzzle quest has been plagued by people whining that the AI cheats. Also, is the most recent team you've fought with the one people will fight against? I'm thinking it would be wise to stick up a more defensive team of my Ironman and Thor before bed or work or whatever.

edit: Actually this team seems to clear faster anyway, even if it is less satisfying.

Also got a stupid old Daken from a token I grinded a bit for, after I had just tanked a rank the other day to avoid getting one, plus they're nerfing it, hah.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 10, 2014