Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Leaving signs around the iron keep bridge is 10 million times better than dealing with invasions.

What should be either an ~honor duel~ or loving over a host completely usually turns into a very tedious game of hide and seek, or the host just plain disconnecting/rushing the boss fog. But, you know, that's magically your fault so you should lose an orb when the host is a complete rear end.

Don't see how going into the fog door counts as being as rear end. You're not entitled to your invasion. Disconnecting is lame, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Turns out that the Black Dragon Sword and the Black Dragon Greatsword doesn't have any scaling. At all. Does anyone use this weapon? Is it any good?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't see how going into the fog door counts as being as rear end. You're not entitled to your invasion. Disconnecting is lame, though.

It's mostly annoying because the level design in DeS/DS1 didn't allow you to just charge from bonfire to bossgate and ignore everything in 10 seconds.

Hosts can bolt for the door and as a chaser you have no tools to stop them. And then you wasted your orb.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Artificer posted:

Turns out that the Black Dragon Sword and the Black Dragon Greatsword doesn't have any scaling. At all. Does anyone use this weapon? Is it any good?

It does passable damage but yeah it's nothing to write home about. I have no idea why they thought no scaling whatsoever was a good idea :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Which is perfectly fine because again, you aren't entitled to the invasion. If they don't want to deal with you and they have the option not to it's fair game to do so. You do have the option of stunlocking them to death if you catch them in the transition though which is incredibly lame.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Artificer posted:

Why does From like loving up every potentially interesting weapon? The MLGS is like the only rare weapon with the strength to warrant the stat/dragonbone investment and it's one of the easiest weps to get a hold of.

quote:

Which is perfectly fine because again, you aren't entitled to the invasion. If they don't want to deal with you and they have the option not to it's fair game to do so. You do have the option of stunlocking them to death if you catch them in the transition though which is incredibly lame.

I think if you get invaded you should absolutely have to kill them or you can't proceed. The boss gates get disabled. If you want to be a pansy burn a loving effigy. :colbert:

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 10, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Artificer posted:

I think it can be okay if you make it raw since you literally aren't losing out on anything by doing so :shrug:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tracula posted:

I think it can be okay if you make it raw since you literally aren't losing out on anything by doing so :shrug:

Wellll I'm just not going to bother then.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's mostly annoying because the level design in DeS/DS1 didn't allow you to just charge from bonfire to bossgate and ignore everything in 10 seconds.

Hosts can bolt for the door and as a chaser you have no tools to stop them. And then you wasted your orb.

I don't pvp a lot, but, uh, can't you hit people trying to enter mists gates?

Also, invader tears will never not be delicious.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think if you get invaded you absolutely have to kill them or you can't proceed. The boss gates just wouldn't work. If you want to be a pansy burn a loving effigy. :colbert:

That's absolutely absurd. It's not something you can predict, it's completely random and if you were forced to do it it would be punishing the player for doing nothing wrong. The invader is always the one being a dick (outside of the rat covenant, in which case it's the host) and if they can't get to the guy in time too bad, try again and do it better this time.

kazil posted:

Yeah you get stunned if you get hit going into the fog door and can't exit the animation so all you can do is die or hope they disconnect. Seen it happen before a few times going through the bell keeper covenant for Hidden Weapon.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kazil posted:

Well obviously if you have the luck of being 5 feet away from them running isn't an issue. I'm talking like, spawning in iron keep to see the host making a beeline for smelter demon while you're still in the big dramatic entrance animation.

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's absolutely absurd. It's not something you can predict, it's completely random and if you were forced to do it it would be punishing the player for doing nothing wrong. The invader is always the one being a dick (outside of the rat covenant, in which case it's the host) and if they can't get to the guy in time too bad, try again and do it better this time.

In demon souls and dark souls if someone invaded you, you pretty much had to deal with them. I mean that was the loving point. You have healing and phantoms, you have an absolute advantage in any straight-up fight with an invader.

If you can't deal with pvp, in the old games you would just remain hollow/in spirit form. Now you have effigies. I don't see how it's absurd.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 10, 2014

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I'm having a hard time enjoying the PvP, because what I *want* to do is make a dedicated invader and fight at a certain level range, where people actually have to make decisions about their build other than "put all the points into everything," where using magic is a tradeoff, not just a thing you do because you have nowhere else to meaningfully invest your level ups, etc. From killed that, though. If I make a dedicated invader, I have to be mindful of actually playing the game or I'll inflate my Soul Memory past the point that PvP is still fun. Even if I don't kill anything other than other players, I'll still eventually gain enough souls to leave the fun brackets.

It's just dreadfully un-fun to consider that farming for a certain item for a particular build can effectively kill the character. Unlocking more of the game can kill the character. Just PvPing can kill the character. And then I get to go through the tedious process of recreating it and running through the absolutely massive early game again.

I just.. I don't know. I hate Soul Memory. It's a poo poo concept. If their goal was to improve upon the Soul Level matching system they have failed. If their goal was to stop low-level invaders, I guess they were sort of successful in the shittiest possible way. I don't like low level invading, it's boring to be in a one-sided fight.

I started a new invading character and looked over my options to get all the stuff I wanted for him, calculated the soul memory I would receive doing it, and just quit and deleted the character.

I miss SL 120 PvP. All of its faults aside, it was better than this.

Also they nerfed the Great Scythe and I am unreasonably sad about that.

I'm going to give it another shot. I never cheated or edited characters in Dark Souls 1, all my poo poo was legit. This soul memory crap, though? It's really killing my desire to keep it that way. If I can just repeatedly edit down my Soul Level into a fun bracket, dump my souls on a bloodstain and not look back? PvP might be fun.

poo poo, there's a reason people kept their soul level below a certain point if they wanted to PvP in DS1, From. It's because PvP becomes hot garbage when everybody's stats are inflated. It kills diversity.

This is a whine-post and I don't even care. Seriously tempted to find and use some character editing tools, and that's a really bad feeling for me.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well obviously if you have the luck of being 5 feet away from them running isn't an issue. I'm talking like, spawning in iron keep to see the host making a beeline for smelter demon while you're still in the big dramatic entrance animation.

I'm confused as to how this is different from DS1.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

It does passable damage but yeah it's nothing to write home about. I have no idea why they thought no scaling whatsoever was a good idea :shrug:

It worked in Dark Souls since, Drake Sword aside, the dragon weapons all had good damage, and more importantly, unique r2s (the Obsidian Greatsword's and Dragon King Greataxe's were especially good). Now all the dragon weapons do crap damage for the stats they require, are hard to upgrade, and don't have any special moves. If they all just had a special r2 they'd be worth using, but as it is they're kinda crap.

I guess they are kinda worth using for one thing, actually; infusions. Because of their high base damage they benefit more from elemental infusions than other weapons of their class.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

It worked in Dark Souls since, Drake Sword aside, the dragon weapons all had good damage, and more importantly, unique r2s (the Obsidian Greatsword's and Dragon King Greataxe's were especially good). Now all the dragon weapons do crap damage for the stats they require, are hard to upgrade, and don't have any special moves. If they all just had a special r2 they'd be worth using, but as it is they're kinda crap.

I guess they are kinda worth using for one thing, actually; infusions. Because of their high base damage they benefit more from elemental infusions than other weapons of their class.

I'm bitter because the Obsidian Greatsword was rad as gently caress and the Black Dragon Greatsword is literally the opposite of that :negative:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Got a question about journeying through Undead Crypt: Do the Statues that spawn the flame ghosts have a health value attached to them? Is there a way I can destroy them easier?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Must every female NPC have "try but hole" or some variant of that written on the ground in front of them

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mystic Mongol posted:

They were going unnoticed before! Dammit, why do I even bother.

When does it go back up?

No one knows. However, I can tell you that people who have tried to get banned from Day One with online CE shenanigans have not been touched. Yet(?).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tykero posted:

This is a whine-post and I don't even care. Seriously tempted to find and use some character editing tools, and that's a really bad feeling for me.

Don't feel bad because you're spot-on about everything. High level PvP in this game is loving garbage, you either get hexers/bat staff users or SL300 folks.

Low range PvP is also bad since the invasion items were neutered, so if you want pvp you're limited to bellbros which is gank-or-be-ganked, or just leaving red/white/dragon signs all over the iron keep bridge.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

folgore posted:

Must every female NPC have "try but hole" or some variant of that written on the ground in front of them

Once or twice I've seen a player shade (the kind that you see traveling around the world that you can't interact with) equipped with binoculars in front of the stone merchant woman.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
This is my first DS game, and while I'm really enjoying it - I feel like the lack of documentation about the combat system and what all the little icons mean is a bit off putting.

I started the game with the obvious newbie sword/shield combo to get used to the combat system with the intent of eventually switching to a light armor dual wield/poison character.

I just made it to No-Man's Wharf and recently respec'd to a dex/adp/end build to use a rapier/dagger/falchion power stance combo and I've been really enjoying it. I have literally no idea how to parry/guard break (and really no idea what guard break even is supposed to do).

I'm using an X-Box Controller and I've looked around for a while for a good guide to the controls but I can't find anything even remotely useful. Same goes with interpretation of the attributes icons for all of the weapons and stats.

Also how much grinding do you goons do? I've started to realize that if I don't spend some time clearing all of the spawns out of the previous area that I'll be pretty under-powered to advance on to the next. I imagine part of this just has to do with my over all real life skill level in playing the game, but how important is it to be continuously pumping points into your stats during the first run through?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tykero posted:

Yeah, I'm SL 150 at 3.4 SM, beaten the game. Spent a poo poo-ton of souls just experimenting and upgrading equipment and weapons to try out. I'm not any more effective than a SL 150 PvPer at 2.5 SM because we all have maximum upgraded equipment (or close to it) by then.

Still, I'm getting some decent fights in Iron Keep. Other times it's ridiculous Havel Dark Fastrolling scimitar wielders or Dark Santier's Spear users.
And sometimes its some poor shlub who somehow managed to land in my bracket, while wearing Hunter's Gear and backstabbing me with a sword for 5% of my health and is unable to do anything to be because he somehow had SM that high. :negative:

Apparently FROM in an FAQ said they were hearing the complaints and suggestions about things, including SM and its function, and so I'm hoping really hard that they'll fix it in someway that will make everyone happy. PvErs, PvPers, newbies, and vets.

Notitia posted:

Also how much grinding do you goons do? I've started to realize that if I don't spend some time clearing all of the spawns out of the previous area that I'll be pretty under-powered to advance on to the next. I imagine part of this just has to do with my over all real life skill level in playing the game, but how important is it to be continuously pumping points into your stats during the first run through?

I didn't grind at all. I'm at SL 150 at SM 3.4 million after beating NG. Quite a bit of PvP and Co-op probably helped. But no grinding. I also didn't grind for loot or materials to upgrade my equipment. Just upgrade your favorite equipment, and put your points into your skills about equally, and you should be fine.

Edit: It should be said that despite my SM at 3.4 million at only SL 150, I'm still getting the majority of my fights as decent, fairly balanced fights. I'm winning quite a few of them pretty okay (gently caress Santier's Spear users though). But there are enough egregious fights that make me feel sad. :(

Artificer fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 10, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Don't feel bad because you're spot-on about everything. High level PvP in this game is loving garbage, you either get hexers/bat staff users or SL300 folks.

That's not true at all (at least on ps3). In the highest SM bracket in ng and ng+ I get plenty of variety in the people I fight whether doing arena stuff, or invasions, or iron keep duels.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

In demon souls and dark souls if someone invaded you, you pretty much had to deal with them. I mean that was the loving point. You have healing and phantoms, you have an absolute advantage in any straight-up fight with an invader.

If you can't deal with pvp, in the old games you would just remain hollow/in spirit form. Now you have effigies. I don't see how it's absurd.

In Demon's Souls and Dark Souls you had a simple way to get out of it without resorting to going offline or using an item that you may not even have: playing in soul/hollow form. Wasting effigies to not have to deal with the incredibly rare chance of being invaded is just stupid, especially when you might not even know which bonfire covers what area for sure. You could also still just leave in those games if you felt like it, that part isn't different. You aren't dealing with just people that are alive and thus aware of the inherent risk here. Don't get mad at people for not wanting to deal with you, that's not something you have any control over and if they can get away good for them.

Nobody should be forced to deal with someone that wants to pvp if they themselves don't want to. You're not even talking about the duels or the optional pvp areas, you're talking pure invasions. That has always been and always should be something that can be avoided if you want.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why does From like loving up every potentially interesting weapon? The MLGS is like the only rare weapon with the strength to warrant the stat/dragonbone investment and it's one of the easiest weps to get a hold of.

Quit being such a whiny shithead. Raw Black Dragon Greatsword has the most damage without scaling of any comparable weapon. It's great on people who don't want to invest a ton of str but want a GS moveset, since you only need 13 str/16 dex to two hand it. The regular sword is harder to justify since no one uses those two handed if they can avoid it and 20 str is starting to get to the point where you might get some ok gains out of scaling.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Once again, I dusted off ole' poke and set my soul level to 40,000.

I had trouble dealing w/ them when the only weapons I had equipped were those godawful shields, and I got cut down running away. WHOUPS sorry dude enjoy the souls.

In short: I can quickly and easily adjust my SM to enter any of the 41 tiers, at will, create infinite souls, and generate 99 of any item I have at least two of.

Cool story dude you managed to cheat in an online game and ruin various peoples' evenings this sounds novel and shocking we're all on the edge of our seats. Good job.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Try thrust
but
hole

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pmchem posted:

Cool story dude you managed to cheat in an online game and ruin various peoples' evenings this sounds novel and shocking we're all on the edge of our seats. Good job.

This is the pc thread; people will brag about hacking and others will bitch at you if you bring that up. Just gotta accept that.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Artificer posted:

I didn't grind at all. I'm at SL 150 at SM 3.4 million after beating NG. Quite a bit of PvP and Co-op probably helped. But no grinding. I also didn't grind for loot or materials to upgrade my equipment. Just upgrade your favorite equipment, and put your points into your skills about equally, and you should be fine.

If I'm having issues progressing without going back and doing a bit of grinding I guess that means I still suck? I'm at lv 49 using a +2 Rapier, +1 Falchion, with that dandy leather set of armor dodging pretty proficiently I think, but totally getting rocked in No-Man's Wharf.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Notitia posted:

This is my first DS game, and while I'm really enjoying it - I feel like the lack of documentation about the combat system and what all the little icons mean is a bit off putting.

Hit select in the menu, then move over the icon you want to know about.

Also this basically didn't exist in the last two games so they were even more esoteric!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Notitia posted:

I started the game with the obvious newbie sword/shield combo to get used to the combat system with the intent of eventually switching to a light armor dual wield/poison character.

I just made it to No-Man's Wharf and recently respec'd to a dex/adp/end build to use a rapier/dagger/falchion power stance combo and I've been really enjoying it. I have literally no idea how to parry/guard break (and really no idea what guard break even is supposed to do).

I'm using an X-Box Controller and I've looked around for a while for a good guide to the controls but I can't find anything even remotely useful. Same goes with interpretation of the attributes icons for all of the weapons and stats.

You aren't expected to really grind at all. Enemies despawn after so many kills as a sort of "Okay you REALLY should have moved on long ago" hint. Always be progressing. Clear the area, maybe get summomed for the boss a couple times, move on. As for gameplay, the wikidot wiki has a very in depth breakdown of what each stat does. It may be of use to you.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/stats

As for parrying, parrying is done by hitting L2 just when a hit would impact you. It knocks an enemy on their rear end and leaves them vulnerable to a critical hit. Guard breaking is done by pushing the left stick forward and hitting R1 at the same time. It's for knocking shield turtlers off balance and opening them for a crit. Personally I literally never parry.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 10, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Notitia posted:

If I'm having issues progressing without going back and doing a bit of grinding I guess that means I still suck? I'm at lv 49 using a +2 Rapier, +1 Falchion, with that dandy leather set of armor dodging pretty proficiently I think, but totally getting rocked in No-Man's Wharf.

Since this is your first DS game, I'd say yeah there's a bit of a learning curve. No-Man's Wharf is pretty rough and I had a hard time with things too. Don't worry about it if you needed to kill some people to get some more souls for a weapon or materials to upgrade some equipment. You'll be okay. Once you learn the game more it should be smoother, and you will require less grinding.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Quit being such a whiny shithead.

Most of the rare weapons ARE poo poo though? The majority of them not even holding a candle to the MLGS in power or uniqueness is a problem, so calm the gently caress down.

quote:

In Demon's Souls and Dark Souls you had a simple way to get out of it without resorting to going offline or using an item that you may not even have

Human effigies are incredibly common. I was eating them all the time and by Copse I still had like 20+ on me.

quote:

Nobody should be forced to deal with someone that wants to pvp if they themselves don't want to. You're not even talking about the duels or the optional pvp areas, you're talking pure invasions. That has always been and always should be something that can be avoided if you want.

I guess my main issue is that DS2 is by far the easiest game to skip mobs in. It's far too easy to just run away and unless you had the luck of being in a certain position or had access to powerful projectiles there goes your cracked eye orb.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 10, 2014

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Captain Oblivious posted:

You aren't expected to really grind at all. Enemies despawn after so many kills as a sort of "Okay you REALLY should have moved on long ago" hint. Always be progressing. Clear the area, maybe get summomed for the boss a couple times, move on. As for gameplay, the wikidot wiki has a very in depth breakdown of what each stat does. It may be of use to you.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/stats

Yeah, my strategy for getting through the Cathedral of Blue was killing off all of the guys before the boss fight enough that they all stopped spawning so that I could ensure I had enough Estus Flask's to make it through the fight. Pretty time consuming process, but without using a summon I don't think I could have made it through any other way.

edit: Hitting select just totally solved my problem in figuring out the icons. Thanks so much!

Portland Sucks fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 10, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm not sure I understand the complaints about farming red eye orbs when those guys invade me every 10 minutes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Notitia posted:

Yeah, my strategy for getting through the Cathedral of Blue was killing off all of the guys before the boss fight enough that they all stopped spawning so that I could ensure I had enough Estus Flask's to make it through the fight. Pretty time consuming process, but without using a summon I don't think I could have made it through any other way.

Good news: You can sprint past basically everything in the game. The enemies are really awful at following you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't understand the mindset of people who go to the Doors of Pharos and just try to sprint through. Grave Of Saints is a bit more understandable but I don't get it in Pharros.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Notitia posted:

You're getting hit vastly more than you should if that's the case. You need to focus more on how enemies attack. Everything is predictable. The Old Knights in Heide in particular have very slow predictable combos that are easy to exploit before quickly moving out of range again. Bait the combo, capitalize, repeat.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've put 82 hours into this game and I have been invaded twice. I have no idea why you're bitching about invasions.