Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phrasing posted:

Someone found an apparent fix for performance issues. Delete everything in this folder.

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\NCSOFT\WildStar

Outdated config files and other nonsense.
Please do yourself a favor and just rename the folder, or be ready to fish it out of the recycle bin. Cause if it doesn't work, having to dick with all your settings again is really pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

straw man posted:

MMOs fail explicitly because the questing is boring. (Not to say a bad endgame has never killed an MMO - just that I think losing a critical mass of players because not enough people will finish the grind is the #1 MMO killer.)

Huh? The last several MMO's that went F2P specifically did so because there was gently caress all to do after you hit max level. WoW is pretty much living proof that people will put up with lovely questing for ages if there's a decent thing to do at the end of it.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Phrasing posted:

Someone found an apparent fix for performance issues. Delete everything in this folder.

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\NCSOFT\WildStar

Outdated config files and other nonsense.

Holy gently caress. This actually works. (Acknowledgement from Carbine folks here: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/256719/got_major_perfomance_boost_and_stable_5060_fps/)

I am stunned.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Rhymenoserous posted:

Huh? The last several MMO's that went F2P specifically did so because there was gently caress all to do after you hit max level. WoW is pretty much living proof that people will put up with lovely questing for ages if there's a decent thing to do at the end of it.

You're right - I'm thinking more of the recent crop of mid-quality freemium MMOs (Neverwinter comes to mind) that are never going to take off due to mediocre questing/gameplay. The psychology is a little different when there's an upfront cost and a monthly sub.

I'm glad I got to level 6. Everything seems to make more sense all of a sudden - the town with the church has established settler booths and the big civic project, which makes me more excited about this path. My medic can finally heal. The PvP owns - the telegraphs are amazing for healing. No more raid frames.

The tutorial is still just as bad the second time through. Skipping all the lore and going as fast as I could, it was still 9 minutes to level 2, the first ~four of which I didn't have a weapon or skills. I know that sounds nitpicky for an MMO, but Wildstar could really make a better first impression.

The official description for the Spellslinger talks about their "acrobatic ability", but after perusing all the class skills, they seem to have the weakest mobility of any class. Am I missing something?

*yeah to hammer on this first impressions point a little more, i ding 2, get this sweet charged shot, and the next quest is to uh... click widgets in a room?

straw man fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 10, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Neverwinter is the exact opposite. The questing/gameplay were fine and actually quite a bit of fun, then you hit max level and realized there was absolutely nothing to do.

I'm glad to hear settler got better, though. When I tried it last I don't think you would get the settler resources from killing things, so it was just a giant chore for buff stations that someone else was probably going to put up anyway.

Spellslinger mobility has been a pretty sore point for a lot of beta testers. The mobility is supposed to come from gateway and being able to use more abilities on the move than other classes. It doesn't really work out to being more mobile.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

straw man posted:

You're right - I'm thinking more of the recent crop of mid-quality freemium MMOs (Neverwinter comes to mind) that are never going to take off due to mediocre questing/gameplay. The psychology is a little different when there's an upfront cost and a monthly sub.

I don't think Neverwinter stands as a good example for MMOs that are relevant at all. The game was incredibly buggy as hell at "open beta" - way, way worse than WildStar currently is. I recall falling through random patches of floor because they just never gave those floors collision. I still have a lot of pictures saved where I was just in the void with no way out except relogging. On top of that, they were ran by possibly the worst possible company for MMOs around - definitely in running with Nexon. It was some serious Pay-to-Win stuff going on: There were top-tier runes that gave enormous chances to stun on basic attacks that would work in PvP, but to create them you had to fuse lesser runes at an incredibly low % chance.. unless you bought the magic IRL money item that does it for you 100% guaranteed!!! A player could easily drop a few hundred dollars and be one of the most powerful on the server. I don't know if they change it much since, but I really doubt it.

The classes were also rear end-backwards. To effectively tank, the Defender had to spec for DPS and essentially solo the boss while the Controller and Strikers dealt with the insulting amount of adds. Otherwise, the balance of threat would shift in an unfavorable way.

It's a shame, because I really liked the concept of the Foundry and player-made content. Most of it was garbage but there was some good stuff out there.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

No, no, the defender picks up adds and fought them with the control wizards and the rogue would solo the boss because it makes sense right? Right? Wait, why are you all leaving?

Don't forget just taking mobs in dungeons to cliffs and shoving them off because they were such giant loving piles of health it'd take you 5 times as long if you didn't.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Minsky posted:

I'm 25 now on my Medic, and I think I've played maybe a total of 10 hours over three weekends (most of that having been spent wiping on the Stormtalon Lair first boss).

Got any tips? I've played around that much and my warrior is only 14. I feel like a lot of quests are taking longer than they should just because of lack of enemies to kill or doodads to pick up and having to wait for respawns. I can't imagine how bad it'll be on release with everyone crammed into the same areas. I'm really trying to give this game a legit chance but man it feels like a slog.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

J posted:

Got any tips? I've played around that much and my warrior is only 14. I feel like a lot of quests are taking longer than they should just because of lack of enemies to kill or doodads to pick up and having to wait for respawns. I can't imagine how bad it'll be on release with everyone crammed into the same areas. I'm really trying to give this game a legit chance but man it feels like a slog.

It should be about as bad as it will get, I suspect. The open world zones will splinter in instances to prevent over-population, and I've already seen it occurring in the Dominion side. This is, of course, presuming it works off of flat numbers or density rather than percentages.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

a cat on an apple posted:

It's a shame, because I really liked the concept of the Foundry and player-made content. Most of it was garbage but there was some good stuff out there.

Yeah, that part looked awesome...

Bauxite posted:

Neverwinter is the exact opposite. The questing/gameplay were fine and actually quite a bit of fun, then you hit max level and realized there was absolutely nothing to do.

... but I got bored way before max level.

Is there a class that stands out as more mobile than the others? Just from reading it looks like the Stalker.

In terms of minmaxing money, resources and tradeskills, is it the WoW model where you want to level with dual gathering and do the actual crafting professions later? (I realize this may depend on market forces that won't take shape until release)

e:

J posted:

I did one battleground at level 6 and got more than half of the level but I don't know if that tapers off

Minsky
May 23, 2001

J posted:

I don't think I did anything special. I just constantly queued for the jailbreak adventure while doing quests. The only abnormal thing I did was ignore all path missions because this is open beta and who gives a poo poo. Once the dungeon unlocked I started queuing for that as healer, but honestly that thing is a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to XP I feel.

I'm not 100% sure exactly how much time I've sank into this, but I based my math on my general play sessions being about 2 hours once or twice per beta weekend, so it more or less works out to 10 hours.

P.S.: I *think* you always get 100% contribution if you manage to tag the quest monster.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

straw man posted:

In terms of minmaxing money, resources and tradeskills, is it the WoW model where you want to level with dual gathering and do the actual crafting professions later? (I realize this may depend on market forces that won't take shape until release)
Yes, most likely. Crafting requires a ton of time, effort, and materials so it's almost impossible to keep them relevant to your level. That's of course assuming that botting isn't game breakingly rampant, but we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Cleared out the config files but still stuck around 25-30 fps on high settings, on my AMD FX-8320, Radeon R9 290, latest WHQL drivers.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Minsky posted:

I don't think I did anything special. I just constantly queued for the jailbreak adventure while doing quests. The only abnormal thing I did was ignore all path missions because this is open beta and who gives a poo poo. Once the dungeon unlocked I started queuing for that as healer, but honestly that thing is a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to XP I feel.

My experience queueing for adventures as a healer is that the tanks stand in telegraphs until they die, then blame me for not keeping them alive, then leave the instance. Thankfully I'll be leveling with a stalker tank on live.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Rhymenoserous posted:

WoW also has the 'lock in' effect where they have a critical mass of folks playing the game. No one wants to play in an MMO by themselves and there's always social pressure to go back to the one that everyone else plays.

As for endgame, there's almost never enough of endgame. Progression means that you'll have at most two active raids that everyone is doing. And so WoW killed more raiding content than other MMOs have ever made. Siege of Ogrimmar is going to be the raid tier for 1 year?

That said, LFR exposes old school Blizzard raiding for what it is - creating a difficult and punishing grind with incredible highs that keeps the top 1% playing. With the gear grind existing not necessarily because you love loot, but because when you pug, assholes will criticize your gear and make you feel bad about not contributing to the group event.

In LFR, you can cycle through all of Mists of Pandaria's raids in a week, because without the insane grind and getting stuck on impossible bosses, there really isn't that much "content". Which scares the poo poo out of hardcore raiders.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 10, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Minsky posted:

I certainly wouldn't mind an MMO with a very short leveling portion and the majority of the budget being directed towards content everyone enjoys at max level. I wonder why no-one has tried it, except maybe Guild Wars 2, but I'm not a fan of that game for other reasons.

I like levelling. If I wanted a game where I'm just at max level I'd play Shadowbane again - since for most games max level stuff is only incredibly boring PvE and gear grinds.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Apparently one of the 'addons' that the UI is cobbled together from is having some problems relating to crafting. I finally tried to look at one of the low level work orders in Gallows and the game just produces error strings when it tries to tell me what to make, and I literally can't access any Armorer recipes for Iron anymore even though last weekend it was fine.

I can force it to show me recipes I don't even have unlocked but lower level novice recipes for Armorer are just gone for me. Even reloading the UI and also restarting the game didn't fix it.

By the way, is there an in-game bug report feature or is the only way to post in the Bug Report forum?

Edit:

I also submitted a support ticket because I couldn't upgrade my Wildstar game to Deluxe and wanted to know if, having bought a code on GMG meant I'm entirely ineligible for any pre-order stuff, or if maybe the problem was having an NA game on an account with a EU IP address.

The response was "Remember, you need to own the game! Here's a link to the store where you can upgrade!" The same store that tells me I can't upgrade and must buy the full version. A code for which I already applied to my account and supplied proof in my ticket.

Oh. So it's that kind of support team :effort:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 10, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait, to have access to both EU and US servers you have to buy two copies of the game? Da gently caress.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, to have access to both EU and US servers you have to buy two copies of the game? Da gently caress.

Yeah. I mean I don't own a EU copy, but since they check IP addresses the Wildstar site will only sell you regionally appropriate codes. I visited GMG via a US proxy to be able to buy a NA serial and be able to play with a number of non-goon US friends.

Edit: \/ I think that's pretty much an NCSoft thing, but I may be wrong. Anyway that's the way it was with CoH as well. Also, I was under the impression Blizzard does it too, but I may be wrong about that.

Honestly the last MMO I personally played without an enforced region split on an account level was/is EverQuest. The Sony Station account doesn't care where you live except for tax reasons. :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 10, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's an absolutely insane restriction. Why would they restrict sales like that? :psyduck:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Psykmoe posted:

Also, I was under the impression Blizzard does it too, but I may be wrong about that.
WoW is region-specific, yes. I honestly didn't know companies did it any other way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Psykmoe posted:

Oh. So it's that kind of support team :effort:

All that matters is that it doesn't cost them anything, as ever. It's really depressing.

I think I just encountered my first bug - I got a quest reward of some blue trousers and they've just gone altogether. How annoying!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

poptart_fairy posted:

That's an absolutely insane restriction. Why would they restrict sales like that? :psyduck:

It's because of brick and mortar stores, they demand it as a condition of carrying your games at all. They have become even more desperate with stuff like Steam around.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So what's the least faffiest way to get a US key then, with that in mind?

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
VPN it or use a US goon as proxy?

BQuietNDrive
Dec 2, 2004
Furious Masticator
Pretty sure this came up a while back and it's a NCSoft thing when it comes to anything account or billing related, so get ready for that...

Carbine has, as I understand it, their own team for customer support as it relates to gameplay.

Also regarding population, Cougar mentioned in the AMA yesterday that they are taking
the less is more approach at launch by opening a few servers and then more as/if needed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hopefully NCSoft lets them stick to it this time.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!

poptart_fairy posted:

So what's the least faffiest way to get a US key then, with that in mind?

Self-quoting how I did it from last thread.

quote:

I just got a US code from the UK, use http://www.my-proxy.com/ to go to GMG, add US version to basket/sign in, leave proxy, go back to regular GMG and US version was still in basket.

Then change GMG password of course

Also as it turns out if you have an EU beta key on your account it won't accept a US retail key inherently but if you contact support they'll switch your beta key to US so you can register properly.

They don't seem to have any issues with letting EU players use the US servers if they want.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Would love to enjoy this game and I really think I would, but the low FPS issues are killing me. Even with a laptop, I have an i7 Quad, GTX670M and a 12GB of RAM, having things on low should not have me at 20-30FPS, it's insane. I was running ESO fine.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Interstellar Owl posted:

Would love to enjoy this game and I really think I would, but the low FPS issues are killing me. Even with a laptop, I have an i7 Quad, GTX670M and a 12GB of RAM, having things on low should not have me at 20-30FPS, it's insane. I was running ESO fine.

Did you try the fix that's been discussed? Seems to be working for most folks.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
The fix worked for me. I had to faff about with my hidden folder settings but it was worth doing.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Downloading this now. Pretty excited to try it out. I just started playing FFXIV and having a lot of fun but this looks cool too so I'm giving it a shot. I haven't really enjoyed an MMO a lot since Vanilla WoW.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Soothing Vapors posted:

Did you try the fix that's been discussed? Seems to be working for most folks.

Which specific fix? I've tried 2 so far.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Okay I must have missed it somewhere - how the gently caress do you dismiss your pet? Mine's in combat and it won't stop being but I have no idea where it is!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm really enjoying the Explorer path. With all the cliff scaling, mushroom-bouncing and collecty stuff going on it feels more like an MMO platformer at the moment.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

DLing as we speak. Going Dominion because Im not some scruffy thief

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm really enjoying the Explorer path. With all the cliff scaling, mushroom-bouncing and collecty stuff going on it feels more like an MMO platformer at the moment.

While I enjoy it, sometimes jumping up things (especially leaves) is quite hard because the box you stand on isn't actually the shape of the leaf. You'll jump and hit something invisible and fall because really it's a gigantic rectangle instead of a leaf shape.
It can get quite frustrating!

I've also found that some scavenger hunts don't seem to work, although maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm playing Exile so that I'm not doing the same thing in the same place in a couple of weeks. Are the names for the Exile guild in the OP guild good? I tried a couple and it said player not found and am hoping it was because they weren't online.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Engineer thoughts:

Once I stopped using builder -> consumer, builder -> consumer and started using Energy Augur and Bio Shell along with AMPs and my innate to generate volatility and then consume...the class became infinitely more interesting and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Taear posted:

While I enjoy it, sometimes jumping up things (especially leaves) is quite hard because the box you stand on isn't actually the shape of the leaf. You'll jump and hit something invisible and fall because really it's a gigantic rectangle instead of a leaf shape.
It can get quite frustrating!

I've also found that some scavenger hunts don't seem to work, although maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

When you click for an arrow on the Scavenger Hunt, it directs you to a location that has roughly 70m radius around where you're actually going to find your thing. This is so that you actually have to pay attention to the clue to figure out where it is.

The Scavenger Hunts can be kind of hit or miss. Sometimes to clue is really clear and you just immediately see where to go, other times it's like, "Shinies are under a rock!" and there's like fifty boulders around and you just have to circle all of them until you get told to dig. I think they're a better mission than Staking Claim, at least.

• Locked thread