Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

esquilax posted:

Nah it was an american professor, and it actually kind of makes sense.
http://www.tjc.com/38states/

The russian one was really bad.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB123051100709638419

Yeah you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Disco Infiva posted:

Some of this maps were probably posted already but still:

Africa is big, ya'll. (See if you can spot the politically loaded part on this map :eng101:)

Kashmir?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Barudak posted:

Finally, every airport in the world will bow before the might of the English Empire (but only on request).

Unless it's Narita. :argh:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Looks like they put Ireland back in the UK too, as is only fair.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They made Belgium a part of La Francophonie. Some people are going to be pissed.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Taiwan would be my guess

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Disco Infiva posted:

Some of this maps were probably posted already but still:

Africa is big, ya'll. (See if you can spot the politically loaded part on this map :eng101:)

Now put Russia in there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Broken Cog posted:

Now put Russia in there.

Hmm, looks like Africa still wins against Russia in the size competition.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

US map grab bag:

Street price of weed per ounce:

Etymology of county names:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 9, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

drat, Russia is over half as big as Africa, not bad considering it's a country vs a continent.

Also, why is Africa and Europe the only continents on that page?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That is the worst Cascadia I've ever seen.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Street price of weed per ounce:

the gently caress is going on with this map

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

made of bees posted:

the gently caress is going on with this map
According to the people who made it:

quote:

The map relies upon thousands of user reports on marijuana purchases referenced to city locations from the Priceofweed website. After cleaning the data to get rid of the outliers, we created a continuous surface using a statistical interpolation technique known as kriging to identify the average variance among price differences through a spherical semivariogram model. To obtain a price for each location show in the map above, an interpolated value was estimated as a weighted average of prices from its twelve neighboring points.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lord Hydronium posted:

Probably mostly reliable, but I found at least one case that's clearly wrong:

Williamson County, Texas was named for an American, not a Spaniard/Mexican. Unless he was nationalized Mexican while he was there. :iiam:

Edit: Also, Edward H. Tarrant (Tarrant County, Texas) was named after a South Carolinian, not a Frenchman.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 9, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm irrationally angry about the one white county in New Hampshire (the county I grew up in).

It's Merrimack county, named after the Merrimack River whose name is generally considered to be taken from what the local Indians called it in the local dialect. It would have taken 2 seconds to Google it. Damnit lazy map makers.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Koramei posted:

Looks like they put Ireland back in the UK too, as is only fair.

This. Taiwan and Kashmir are disputed, but you can still understand why have they put it there. Ireland being in UK is :drat:

Instead of UK, it should have been British Isles, that makes much more sense.

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah, so it's a fantasy thing about going off and conquering anywhere that has your language speakers in it. I guess that makes sense.

To briefly touch on the language chat from before, this is the main political reason why Croatian linguists wants to distance Croatian language from Serbian.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Probably mostly reliable, but I found at least one case that's clearly wrong:

Williamson County, Texas was named for an American, not a Spaniard/Mexican. Unless he was nationalized Mexican while he was there. :iiam:

Edit: Also, Edward H. Tarrant (Tarrant County, Texas) was named after a South Carolinian, not a Frenchman.

I don't think it's about where the guy came from, but where the last name came from. So Williamson was obviously erroneous (probably British) but Tarrant? Yeah, that might be a name of French extraction, even if the Tarrant the county is named for came from NC.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Iowa being completely unchanged is weird to me.

edit: Along with Cascadia being backwards it also doesn't have Transylvania, a proposed state that's half of tennessee and half of kentucky.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I don't think it's about where the guy came from, but where the last name came from. So Williamson was obviously erroneous (probably British) but Tarrant? Yeah, that might be a name of French extraction, even if the Tarrant the county is named for came from NC.

But if that's the case, why highlight American individuals (e.g. George Washington) as American and not English?

(Also, Tarrant is an English name derived from the Tarrant River in Dorset, itself an anglicization of a Gaelic name per Ancestry.com. No French involved either way.)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I... don't know. Guess it's just poorly-researched. Pity, because that's a neat topic for a map. I bet the guy's research for Tarrant county was the same as mine: "Tarrant? Yep, that seems French to me!"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

For anyone who doesn't know why Cascadia on that map is absolutely hilarious: Cascadia is usually proposed by people in western washington/oregon/sometimes BC to exclude precisely that section of the map.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It doesn't have Sequoyah either. Eastern Oklahoma is "Green" instead, which I've never heard of before. Despite some of the odd choices, I can't fault it if only for having Absaroka, my favorite bizarre alternate-history-state bit of trivia:

And its :effort: flag:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Lord Hydronium posted:

It doesn't have Sequoyah either. Eastern Oklahoma is "Green" instead, which I've never heard of before. Despite some of the odd choices, I can't fault it if only for having Absaroka, my favorite bizarre alternate-history-state bit of trivia:

Behold! The forgotten, almost poorest state in the Union!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lord Hydronium posted:

Less lazy flag than the "let's slap our seal on a navy blue background" flags.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

If they put in the effort to take the Tetons they they would have occupied all the nice terrain in both Wyoming and South Dakota.

Edit: Okay, they did, so that's what they were going for.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 9, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

What's the deal with Vermont and Montana (and by extension Idaho and New Hampshire)? Canadians stealing their jerbs? Low population so one hateful dude skewers the numbers?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah seriously, Vermont has looked absurdly lovely on a lot of these maps. If anyone in this thread is familiar with Vermont Culture, I'm really curious.

My internal stereotype of the state was always that it contained a few dozen rich white liberals in McMansions scattered across an otherwise empty green countryside, which I'm aware is ridiculous and almost certainly not even an exaggeration of the actual place.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 10, 2014

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Disco Infiva posted:

What's the deal with Vermont and Montana (and by extension Idaho and New Hampshire)? Canadians stealing their jerbs? Low population so one hateful dude skewers the numbers?

For Idaho it's a combination of low population, conservative population, and there being a lot of empty space to run off and start a hate group in. I'd imagine the same holds for Montana.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah seriously, Vermont has looked absurdly lovely on a lot of these maps. If anyone in this thread is familiar with Vermont Culture, I'm really curious.

My internal stereotype of the state was always that it contained a few dozen rich white liberals in McMansions scattered across an otherwise empty green countryside, which I'm aware is ridiculous and almost certainly not even an exaggeration of the actual place.

Anything outside of the Burlington metro is full of poor people and the state has a crippling oxy/heroin problem. Vermont is actually a really depressing place in alot of ways.

Even in Burlington, I've been offered heroin on church street by a teenager and had a young girl ask if she could suck my dick for money outside of a gas station at 7 am. You couldn't pay me to live in that state again.

gagelion fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 10, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pook Good Mook posted:

Behold! The forgotten, almost poorest state in the Union!

Woman on the right mos definitely isn't interested in living in Absaroka

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Frostwerks posted:

Woman on the right mos definitely isn't interested in living in Absaroka

You'd feel the same way too if you were from Gillette.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hottest and Sexiest :wom:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Pakled posted:

I had no idea that nearly a thousand years after the last time a Greek state ruled the area, there were still Greek-speakers in Southern Italy.

I recently watched Italy Unpacked and they mentioned that greek was a dominant language well into the 16th century in the southen parts of Italy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Disco Infiva posted:

Vermont has ~650,000 people, In other words, to get 6 hate groups per million people they need about 4 of them (and note that hate groups don't have a minimum population - if one dude starts a hate group, that's the same thing as having one with 1,000 members).

The same thing goes for those other states, but they have about 2-3 times Vermont's population (so at most they need about 12 hate groups).

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I would think that hate group membership per million might be a more meaningful statistic. But I guess those numbers might be harder to get.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Disco Infiva posted:

Hottest and Sexiest :wom:

Wait so Poland is only normal sexy but the Baltics get to be very sexy? Why is Bolivia excluded from the sexy South Americans party?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Wait so Poland is only normal sexy but the Baltics get to be very sexy? Why is Bolivia excluded from the sexy South Americans party?

Babushka bomb hits at age 35 in Poland. Bolivia and Peru and Guatemala are ranked low for Latin America, and coincidentally the most heavily indigenous countries there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Sri Lanka isn't green enough. :colbert:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

You've never seen Bolivians? Ugh!

But on a serious note, I am guessing that it has to do with more 'western' values of beauty, and Bolivians are among the most native looking latinos, whereas Argentina, for example, is whiter.

TheImmigrant posted:

Babushka bomb hits at age 35 in Poland. Bolivia and Peru and Guatemala are ranked low for Latin America, and coincidentally the most heavily indigenous countries there.

Basically this, if I had read this post before posting myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Argentina is 98% white; primarily Italians, with lots of Russians, Germans, and Ashkenazi Jews. There are even isolated Welsh settlements all over Patagonia. The joke is that Argentina is a country of Italians speaking Spanish who think they're English. Colombians are just smoking.