Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's still mostly bad, but I guess read it anyway. I mean, it's my least favorite, but it's still okay. Stone Ocean and SBR are worth the wait. Stone Ocean has the best panels to take out of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Only the first volume has a decent translation, but tbh it would still be the weakest part even with a good translation so feel free to skip it if you aint feeling it

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Only the first volume has a decent translation, but tbh it would still be the weakest part even with a good translation so feel free to skip it if you aint feeling it

It's actually the first 3 volumes. And the kinda bad TL doesn't get really bad until white album.

grancheater posted:

So what's the general rundown of the Part 5 scans, are most of them still the badly translated ones? I'm about to finish Part 4, considering if I should skip Part 5 until a better translation is available. Also I read the thread so y'all got me hyped for Jolyne, SBR in general, and JoJolion weirdness.

It's a good part with bad scans and it will never be scanlated properly because reasons. If you absolutely hate it you can skip it I guess, but I'd advise against it. All jojo is wonderful and you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I like part 5 a lot. It has some really cool fights and is totally worth reading.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The worst Jojo is still better than the best anything else.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I can't wait for the next episode. It's the first part of SC that really gets crazy, and I think it'll be one the that really gets people who are just okay with this season fully「On Board」.

Also all JoJo is best JoJo. It's a testament to how great the series is that everyone can have a wildly different opinion on their favorite parts, because it's all so different but every one has something great about it. 4, 6 and 7 might be my favorite parts, but I'd take the other parts over most other manga I've read.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RubberLuffy posted:

It's the first part of SC that really gets crazy, and I think it'll be one the that really gets people who are just okay with this season fully「On Board」.

Or they're going to obsess over Ann almost getting molested by the orangutan, drop it or the thread becomes unreadable for a few days, maybe both at the same time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, still loving how Star Platinum develops new powers whenever the situation calls for it.

:allears:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Eh Star Platinum's entire moveset is still basically just hitting things really hard as fast as possible

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Hobgoblin was talking about the debut of Star Finger, and of course, we're just waiting for the reaction when he first stops time. :allears:

Jotaro vs Dio is just going to be amazing for all the first timers.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that people just start getting Exceptional Successes left and right after a while and I don't really know how to plan around that. "Oh, that big boss monster you painstakingly crafted? Yeah, me and the boys just loving massacred it in one round because we all got 5 successes each on our rolls." At least WoD's settings are good.

Here's an interesting solution my group uses: cards. Take a suit of 1-10, draw and add your pool to it. 8 or up is one success, plus one extra for every 3 above it, same 10-again rules apply. (8-10=1, 11-13=2, 14-16, 3 etc). It's still hard to FAIL something you've invested a lot in, but getting crazy lucky is still notable since it's only on just the one roll. Lots of minor successes but few exceptionals.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Rei_ posted:

Eh Star Platinum's entire moveset is still basically just hitting things really hard as fast as possible

Also he's technically not a physical being.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rei_ posted:

True, but he does develop a lot of powers. Not that I'm complaining, it's just something I noticed.

When he's first shown, Star Platinum is shown to have a lot of strength, speed, and precision.

Then he develops super eyesight when they need to find Dio.

Then he extends his fingers to smack Dark Blue Moon.

Then he gains the power to stop time during the fight with Dio.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The eyes and fingers can both be attributed to super precision. I mean the fingers are stretching it a bit for sure, but it's not like that doesn't work with the stand. Time Stop though is completely pulled out of nowhere though, yes.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I don't think it was ENTIRELY out if nowhere. Jotaro didn't start developing his time powers until he found out about DIO's. At that point I think someone had also mentioned how similar the World and Star Platinum are. I think it's perfectly reasonable that Jotaro put two and two together and found out hey, he can totally stop time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I know that there's no evidence for it whatsoever but I always liked the idea that The World's true power was to copy the stands of anyone descended from Jonathan, which would make Jotaro's time stop make perfect sense - Jotaro didn't develop it out of nowhere, Star Platinum always had the ability but never really exercised it.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So the Nature Valley twitter is doing this thing were you photoshop a granola bar into anime. This came from that.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Kabanaw posted:

I don't think it was ENTIRELY out if nowhere. Jotaro didn't start developing his time powers until he found out about DIO's. At that point I think someone had also mentioned how similar the World and Star Platinum are. I think it's perfectly reasonable that Jotaro put two and two together and found out hey, he can totally stop time.

I figured Star Platinum was doing time stop stuff without Jotaro necessarily realizing it the whole time. Like the part in the D'arby the Gambler fight when Jotaro gaslights D'arby into thinking he messed with the cards by moving other stuff around, in hindsight it really reminded me of when Hol Horse confronted Dio and Dio used The World to just reappear right behind him.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fiend Computer posted:

So the Nature Valley twitter is doing this thing were you photoshop a granola bar into anime. This came from that.

Why is Nature Valley so god drat addicted to anime?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is no build up to the time stop, because there's never any moment that everything stops moving. You can try and justify Jotaro as stopping time without realizing it, but it's gonna be weird when we're supposed to somehow accept that Jotaro doesn't realize people are stopping for a split second. The revelation for it comes through Dio, who is the one who tells Jotaro their stands are similar and this is after the final battle has started already which is at the end of the book. Like if there were just a minute where we see time stopping or have a hint of it but Jotaro doesn't, that's something, but it only comes about when the final battle has started and Dio is the one who says it to him, none of the stand users who work with Dio because they kind of can't do that.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Some intern who manages the twitter account retweets every little thing that comes his way and anime photoshops caught hold. Thier whole job is probably to all in on everything and hope 1 in a million goes viral

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I was fine with time stop way more than star finger. Stopping time sorta makes sense since Star Platinum and The World are similar, but how does fast+strong+precise = EXTENDO FINGERS? I'd be more okay with it if he uses it again after that, but as far as I remember it's just used to win the one fight then forgotten about forever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly I was fine with time stop way more than star finger. Stopping time sorta makes sense since Star Platinum and The World are similar, but how does fast+strong+precise = EXTENDO FINGERS? I'd be more okay with it if he uses it again after that, but as far as I remember it's just used to win the one fight then forgotten about forever.

There are a few times in Stardust Crusaders where the idea of focusing your power into one part of your stand means it is able to be manipulated differently. This is mainly seen with stuff like the star finger ("hey if I focus all of my stand's power into just the fingers I bet I could just break through with super strong fingers and also they'd be able to stretch real far because I'm focusing all of the stand power into that small part!!!") and the lovers fight ("hey stands are just astral projections of our mind and soul right? that means we can change the size of it with ease!")

I'd say that Araki didn't really get any set guidelines for stands down until part 4, and even then he was pretty flexible with the guidelines with exceptions all over the place.

On another note, one of my favorite parts about part 4 is when Josuke is involved with a problem that he could easily fix with his stand's power but he just doesn't do it, like it doesn't seem to occur to him to even try. Specifically the bit with the lock guy where he cuts off strips of cash to trick Koichi into thinking he's getting his money back and Josuke could have just healed the money but eh whatever, or when Rohan's mansion burned up and he could have easily just punched it but gently caress that poo poo best get out of there and leave Rohan with the bill.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair, even Rohan wasn't even concerned with his house in that moment because he was so pissed he didn't know how Josuke was cheating, Part 4 is fantastic.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

To be fair, even Rohan wasn't even concerned with his house in that moment because he was so pissed he didn't know how Josuke was cheating, Part 4 is fantastic.

He was certainly distracted by it, though. I just love that Rohan is the one who set his own house on fire on accident after making a big deal of the whole "I just cut off my finger as a punishment to myself for not figuring out how you're cheating" poo poo. And he's just so concerned about his pretty woman movieset furniture prop replicas. :allears:

I also liked how we were never forced to see Josuke and Joseph's relationship grow, we can just infer from the fact that Joseph is still around by the end of it all and that Josuke is often hanging around with him that they're bonding in their own way. That and the invisible baby thing that Araki forgot about.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Orgia Carnaval posted:

There is no build up to the time stop, because there's never any moment that everything stops moving. You can try and justify Jotaro as stopping time without realizing it, but it's gonna be weird when we're supposed to somehow accept that Jotaro doesn't realize people are stopping for a split second. The revelation for it comes through Dio, who is the one who tells Jotaro their stands are similar and this is after the final battle has started already which is at the end of the book. Like if there were just a minute where we see time stopping or have a hint of it but Jotaro doesn't, that's something, but it only comes about when the final battle has started and Dio is the one who says it to him, none of the stand users who work with Dio because they kind of can't do that.

I think that the reveals that first DIO could time stop and then that Jotaro could time stop worked pretty well. They were both meant to be big twists, which would have been somewhat ruined if they were foreshadowed too heavily. DIO keeps using his power to freak people (and the reader) out, and once we know he can stop time everything he did makes sense. I liked the way it's set up through the series for Star Platinum as well. He can move that fast and do stuff like punch Dark Blue Moon while it's in freefall or collect items without anyone noticing during D'arby the Gambler's fight because he's not moving extremely quickly per se, he's slowing down time just enough so it seems like it's moving faster.

In the end, Araki likes to use powerups during final battles since they provide a good ebb-and-flow for final showdowns, and I prefer it when there's some hints at what it is and it makes sense in context (star platinum's the world, the infinite rotation) than when it makes absolutely no sense (loving Gold Experience Requiem).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kabanaw posted:

I think that the reveals that first DIO could time stop and then that Jotaro could time stop worked pretty well. They were both meant to be big twists, which would have been somewhat ruined if they were foreshadowed too heavily. DIO keeps using his power to freak people (and the reader) out, and once we know he can stop time everything he did makes sense.

Well, sorta make sense.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm partial to the ones where the hero just straight up outsmarts the villain and everyone gets some good shots in (god part 4 had such an incredibly good final fight).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kabanaw posted:

In the end, Araki likes to use powerups during final battles since they provide a good ebb-and-flow for final showdowns, and I prefer it when there's some hints at what it is and it makes sense in context (star platinum's the world, the infinite rotation) than when it makes absolutely no sense (loving Gold Experience Requiem).

There were no hints for it, is what I'm trying to say. I like that he got a time stop too and for Jotaro it has to be used strategically, so it makes that fight great, but it was pulled out of Araki's rear end much like GER. You have to stretch for that Super Speed = Slowing Down Time reasoning, like really stretch, because we're relying on Jotaro being completely ignorant of everything around him just slowing down and that knowledge being kept from the audience for several chapters on end as Jotaro never makes note of it. The knowledge Star Platinum is like the World is dropped when Dio is already fighting Jotaro by Dio, no one prior to that makes the comparison because everyone else who saw the World or got hit by its power died or knocked out without seeing it. Hell, future parts of the series don't even paint SP's super speed as time stop, it's straight up just it being fast. There's also the several injuries Star Platinum gets while trying to punch things and that Tower of Grey shouldn't have been able to dodge him if that's what was happening.

All of the D'Arby stuff was the result of the opening scene for Stardust Crusaders where you see all of that junk in the cell that SP just got somehow without anyone noticing. It's a fine twist, but Araki didn't build up to it. He pulls out in the eleventh hour much like GER, but the difference between those two is that loving GER is broken to poo poo and Jotaro learning Time Stop isn't the end of the fight, it's just the start of Jotaro being able realistically beat Dio. Dio's was understandable and fine, if you didn't know what his power was when Hol confronted him, you figured it out when Polnareff did. Jotaro had nothing like that.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 10, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RatHat posted:

Well, sorta make sense.

The part with Polnareff always tickled me because I knew what was going on and just kept imagining Dio doing exactly this.

It's a shame Dio always has to screw with people, though. If he'd killed him right then, he would've won the final battle.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'm not going to defend Gold Experience Requiem too hard because it makes for an unsatisfying ending, but I don't think it was really an asspull. The whole point of the last act of Vento Aureo is that whoever gets the arrow first wins; Giorno becoming unbeatable as soon as he grabs it wasn't really a surprise.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
re: Jotaro's time stop

It makes perfect sense if you think about Star Platinum's power of moving really, really fast and precise. When someone or something can achieve ultimate speed, it can move faster than anything else. Extend that to enable Jotaro to move in sync and you have someone who essentially stops time. See D'arcy fights for this.

I wonder, what is the range of either guy's time stop ability? Does the whole city just stop? Country? WORLD?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If it doesn't stop time all over the world, that would lead to some very weird temporal shenanigans.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If it doesn't stop time all over the world, that would lead to some very weird temporal shenanigans.

Yeah, that'd make people on the edge of the timestop stop moving and people two feet further out go "Oh, that's odd, why is everyone over there standing still?"

Edit: and what would happen with a train where half of it was caught in timestop and the rest wasn't? Would the moving part just tear away and go?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Basically the Mandom encounter in part 7.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

jyrque posted:

re: Jotaro's time stop

It makes perfect sense if you think about Star Platinum's power of moving really, really fast and precise. When someone or something can achieve ultimate speed, it can move faster than anything else. Extend that to enable Jotaro to move in sync and you have someone who essentially stops time. See D'arcy fights for this.

I wonder, what is the range of either guy's time stop ability? Does the whole city just stop? Country? WORLD?

Yeah. The time stop is really IMO just an extension of Star Platinum's power. It's not an ability Jotaro could use until he was pushed to the limit against Dio, and felt the power of the stop. But his stand's precision is really just like a lesser version of the time stop.

That's how I justify it really though. The reality is that Araki pretty much wings it on his plots most of the time. (Though he clearly is better about them lately given that he has time to work them out in advance now.) The logic behind it all is scatterbrained at best. Which is why you will get 'pulls a power out of his rear end' moments like the suspiciously convenient Star Finger.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 10, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Remind me: does he ever even use Star Finger after the fight with Dark Blue Moon?

I haven't read Part 6 yet, but I don't recall seeing it again in Part 3 or Part 4.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He uses it for the fight against Strength and that's it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There is a sort of hinting at it with DIO using Hermit Purple. That (along with SP's time stop reveal and The World's similar appearance to Josuke's Stand) suggests that DIO's powers are not his own but the Joestars'. So it's not entirely out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Also there's the fact that the badge on Jotaro's hat for the entirety of Part 3 is a hand making the 'halt' or 'stop' gesture. OR DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND.

• Locked thread