Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

Mine are "hello gorgeous it is protag", and "poo poo off, you crime!". I also say "stick THAT in between two slices of bread and take it to work with you tomorrow like a lacked lunch" when im winning or do something good.
Also, i sign of my videos with "love you bye"

Oh god I'm cringing so hard my face muscles actually hurt.

quote:

Mines are pretty short. "Hello you sexy beast", "If this video tickle your fancy, check out my channel and other videos" and "Stay Sexy My Friends".

He openly admits one of his catchphrases is Shilling his other videos

quote:

"Love your faces with a bit of Pie and will see you next time Pieoneers" or "dont make me get ghetto"

RedditLP.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Polsy posted:

Anything linking videos or channels outside the approved threads gets removed by the mods pretty swiftly to be fair, I haven't really seen one of those in a while.
Sorry I misunderstood what that subreddit was for. So it's just for the discussion of LPs in general and not a place to post them.
Though a lot of posts are still terrible like"Hey they said we can cash in on our LPs of their game" :yotj:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

inthesto posted:

What "successful" let's players have catchphrases in the first place? Where does the idea of having a stock phrase being am acceptable substitute for a personality come from?

Well, DeceasedCrab has a couple (although some would again fall more under verbal tics as compared to catchphrases), but then again, I don't have an idea if he even counts as "successful" anymore, now that the metric has been so completely demolished in recent times. Still, he's the most "successful" LPer on Youtube I follow, so that's the best I got.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Danaru posted:

Oh god I'm cringing so hard my face muscles actually hurt.

He openly admits one of his catchphrases is Shilling his other videos

RedditLP.txt

To be fair, shilling your own poo poo is a proven youtube marketing tactic (along with askinga question at the end of every video so people will leave comments you'll never read). Most of those make me question if the LPer is a native English speaker, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

inthesto posted:

What "successful" let's players have catchphrases in the first place? Where does the idea of having a stock phrase being am acceptable substitute for a personality come from?

Nerd Cubed (Daniel Hardcastle) starts and ends all his videos with the same line, but that's all that could be considered "catchphrases". He does have other repeats in his vocabulary, but they seem more like just his verbal tics or common phrasings rather than intentionally slipping the phrases in.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Nerd Cubed (Daniel Hardcastle) starts and ends all his videos with the same line, but that's all that could be considered "catchphrases".

I don't mind this. Dead to rights.

No, really, some people do have a thing, but I don't think it's a catchphrase (or an offensive one) until it becomes a crutch for "I can't think of something to say, but here's a funny thing I had said previously." Simply Simon ends every video with "Thank you very much for your attention" and Psychedelic Eyeball starts with "Hello everybody, this is Psychedelic Eyeball." You could theoretically call these catchphrases, but I don't think they're what we're talking about with annoying catchphrases.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The Double Fine channel just posted a video of Tim Schafer playing Day of the Tentacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qumYnE2wYhA

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

slowbeef posted:

I don't mind this. Dead to rights.

No, really, some people do have a thing, but I don't think it's a catchphrase (or an offensive one) until it becomes a crutch for "I can't think of something to say, but here's a funny thing I had said previously." Simply Simon ends every video with "Thank you very much for your attention" and Psychedelic Eyeball starts with "Hello everybody, this is Psychedelic Eyeball." You could theoretically call these catchphrases, but I don't think they're what we're talking about with annoying catchphrases.

I don't think sign-ons and sign-offs count as catchphrases considering that everybody uses them. Saying "Hello" and "Goodbye" to your friends is just about the same thing, after all. Using the same intro and exit is simply a matter of habit and it's only when someone intentionally tries to be unusual that it becomes a catchphrase (and usually an annoying catchphrase for the same reason).

So by that criteria, Joel Hodgeson saying "Welcome to the Satellite of Love" is not a catchphrase, but Trace Beaulieu's "Push the button, Frank" is.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TheMcD posted:

Well, DeceasedCrab has a couple (although some would again fall more under verbal tics as compared to catchphrases), but then again, I don't have an idea if he even counts as "successful" anymore, now that the metric has been so completely demolished in recent times. Still, he's the most "successful" LPer on Youtube I follow, so that's the best I got.

He's basically semi-retired from LP, as far as I can tell, but yeah, he used those phrases more because he was trying to maintain a PG-ish rating and used them as a substitute for cursing/replacement for dead air/ums/etc. Deceased Crab nonplussed? "Bakesale!" Deceased Crab frustrated? "Dangnabbit!" Deceased Crab happy? "Huzzah!" He mastered the use of catchphrase as a crutch to avoid dead air/the constant string of ums and uhs you often hear. Still really easy to criticize.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
It's funny that Game Grumps shtick of being terrible at games and not even paying attention to them is finally giving them a backlash when they apply it toward Dark Souls of all games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You must have missed Naughty Bear.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is a running joke a catchphrase? Because 2BFP have more than a couple of those. They do "cycle" them every so often when they get too repetitive, so it's not too bad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I don't think sign-ons and sign-offs count as catchphrases considering that everybody uses them. Saying "Hello" and "Goodbye" to your friends is just about the same thing, after all. Using the same intro and exit is simply a matter of habit and it's only when someone intentionally tries to be unusual that it becomes a catchphrase (and usually an annoying catchphrase for the same reason).

So by that criteria, Joel Hodgeson saying "Welcome to the Satellite of Love" is not a catchphrase, but Trace Beaulieu's "Push the button, Frank" is.

Dan does have some phrases that are specific enough to be listed on his TV Tropes page, but again, they seem less like catchphrases and more like it's just his manner of speaking and particular word choices that he happens to use. Like saying "Well done, brain" when he says something bizarre or giving a really obviously false statement with "True story" at the end of it. It's done with a natural flow and it basically just sounds like he says that kind of stuff in real life when you chat with him.

Part of what attracted me to Dan's channel is not only that he actually has a good sense of humor, but all of his dialogue flows naturally without being repetitive and terrible. It's the kind of improvised dialogue that flows well enough and has so little dead air and "ums" that it sounds scripted, but he's just quick enough to throw this out off the top of his head.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Dias posted:

Is a running joke a catchphrase? Because 2BFP have more than a couple of those. They do "cycle" them every so often when they get too repetitive, so it's not too bad.

I don't think so.

The Ridley voice was a tough one for Betus and I because we encountered it in my Metroid Prime LP and at the Omega Ridley fight it was genuinely hilarious to us. We'd IM each other "AHHHHHHHH!!!!" randomly for days after and it'd crack me the gently caress up.

So it'd bleed into some Retsupuraes and I still genuinely liked it for some things (like the Jurassic Park raptors in Journey to the Exit of the Arcade - I really do think it fit well for that). I'd classify it as a running joke...

... but sort of unintentionally, I found myself using it if I couldn't think of anything to say. We talked about it, agreed it was getting too catchphrasey and retired it for now. I'm not saying I'll never do it again, but it became a crutch and for me, crossed the line from running gag to catchphrase.

It's a tough line to define, and to be honest? Some people will laugh at that kinda poo poo and encourage you do more of it (which is sort of bad "criticism") so it's one of those things you have to think about and decide on your own. That said:

Patter Song posted:

He's basically semi-retired from LP, as far as I can tell, but yeah, he used those phrases more because he was trying to maintain a PG-ish rating and used them as a substitute for cursing/replacement for dead air/ums/etc. Deceased Crab nonplussed? "Bakesale!" Deceased Crab frustrated? "Dangnabbit!" Deceased Crab happy? "Huzzah!" He mastered the use of catchphrase as a crutch to avoid dead air/the constant string of ums and uhs you often hear. Still really easy to criticize.

I think the one thing is that it was non-sequitir humor which I think goes into bad territory more quickly and gets you the kind of fans you don't want. But then, I'm not DC so I don't know how he felt about it or how exactly it affected his channel. Turned me off a bit.

So It Goes posted:

It's funny that Game Grumps shtick of being terrible at games and not even paying attention to them is finally giving them a backlash when they apply it toward Dark Souls of all games.

I don't want to watch because I still haven't gotten into Dark Souls 2, but Game Grumps is weird. One of the original two - and I can't find this quote, but it was relayed by a reliable source - stated they thought doing and monetizing Let's Play was outright theft. (I, uh, guess they changed their mind.)

They've also mocked informative LPs altogether which is odd because Naughty Bear and Dark Souls 2 seems to be proving that wrong.

Their Super C episode one annoyed me because the game crashes in the middle of it and 3 minutes of it is just them blowing on the cartridge and asking if they were recording this. They even have a dedicated editor; I can't understand why you'd leave that in unless you really just didn't loving care. The frustration might've been funny at first, but it went on way way way long.

I don't watch enough of their stuff, I hear JonTron (no longer on, I realize) is actually a great guy, and they're one of the rare AAA LPers who've talked poo poo about Pewdiepie (I think that was JonTron again, though it was a long time ago - my point is just most are too afraid, but they all kinda hate him) but lately the more bad stuff I've encountered, the lower my opinion goes.

Is there some really good poo poo of theirs to temper this opinion I am forming?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

slowbeef posted:

Is there some really good poo poo of theirs to temper this opinion I am forming?

Personally, I don't think so. I've tried watching some of their stuff and they just hoot and scream like idiots, not unlike that one loving video of Toby and Markiplier playing Nidhogg.

I dunno, maybe I just don't 'get it' and I'm the weird one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's a one-off video of a Mickey Mouse NES game that's just 10 minutes of Arin imitating this AVGN wannabe they found while looking up the game and Danny cracking the gently caress up. It's loving awful, but I laugh every loving time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

I don't want to watch because I still haven't gotten into Dark Souls 2, but Game Grumps is weird. One of the original two - and I can't find this quote, but it was relayed by a reliable source - stated they thought doing and monetizing Let's Play was outright theft. (I, uh, guess they changed their mind.)

They've also mocked informative LPs altogether which is odd because Naughty Bear and Dark Souls 2 seems to be proving that wrong.

I'm watching the videos right now and it's really sad. They just cannot figure out simple mechanics in the game like running despite the fact that one of them was literally running around not maybe three minutes ago. Course, can't say nuthin about them being bad at the game cuz it's super hard being entertaining and poo poo at a video game. slowbeef, you could watch it yourself and not miss out on much besides making a character and the opening. They're four parts in and haven't made it into the hub town yet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So It Goes posted:

Have you tried Steam Train? You might like it better (at least, when Erin doesn't hijack it.)

But they do have their moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etBH99Ys5u8

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

slowbeef posted:

They even have a dedicated editor; I can't understand why you'd leave that in unless you really just didn't loving care.

See this is what bugs me the most about the Grumps, they have an editor but not for cutting out unnecessary stuff but for gags and poo poo. Different priorities I guess. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's actually quite surprising how many parallels I could draw between DSP and Game Grumps. The only differences I could point out off the bat, are the jokes on Game Grumps don't always fall flat, and DSP has a significantly higher success rate for finishing games he starts.

Both channels are video mills, where the people play games for hours on end, then post multiple, short videos a day. Both channels are filled with racism and creepy sexual commentary. Both channels contain fan abuse. Both channels have people making glaringly obvious mistakes in games because they can't be bothered to pay attention because they think they're too good for that.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slowbeef posted:

They even have a dedicated editor;

C'mon slowbeef, without a dedicated editor, they couldn't do that crazy Vegas picture in picture stuff...LIKE THIS.

Get it, it'd Birdo in DKC. BIRDO. DONKEY KONG. Is there a little similarity there? Ohhhh I think there is...n't.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BMS posted:

Get it, it'd Birdo in DKC.  BIRDO.  DONKEY KONG.  Is there a little similarity there?  Ohhhh I think there is...n't.

He added Birdo because the thing Jon was yelling sounded like the same beat as Birdo's theme from SMB2‎

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Danaru posted:

He added Birdo because the thing Jon was yelling sounded like the same beat as Birdo's theme from SMB2‎

I've listened to that segment 3 times now, and it sounds to me like nothing more than somebody doing a horrible phrase to a record scratch. The Grumps humor is apparently far above me....AND THAT'S OK BY ME!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jamesman posted:

It's actually quite surprising how many parallels I could draw between DSP and Game Grumps. The only differences I could point out off the bat, are the jokes on Game Grumps don't always fall flat, and DSP has a significantly higher success rate for finishing games he starts.

Both channels are video mills, where the people play games for hours on end, then post multiple, short videos a day. Both channels are filled with racism and creepy sexual commentary. Both channels contain fan abuse. Both channels have people making glaringly obvious mistakes in games because they can't be bothered to pay attention because they think they're too good for that.

The Game Grumps have racism in them? I don't really watch them, and I know DSP even has a video called "Top 10 racist jokes" or something, but you'd think that would cause some more public backlash. Then again this is the internet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

We'd IM each other "AHHHHHHHH!!!!" randomly for days after and it'd crack me the gently caress up.

Somehow, the idea of the Ridley voice randomly popping up in my everyday life is just hilarious.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

BMS posted:

I've listened to that segment 3 times now, and it sounds to me like nothing more than somebody doing a horrible phrase to a record scratch. The Grumps humor is apparently far above me....AND THAT'S OK BY ME!

In their defence, I immediately made the connection to the SMB2 boss battle music when I watched it. But it still isn't funny.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

slowbeef posted:

Probably nothing recent. It honestly seems like a lot of the reason it's not very funny lately is that Arin and Danny just aren't as into it as they used to be. Like when it first started Jon and Arin had some really great chemistry and part of that was just that they seemed like they were actually, genuinely having a good time hanging out and recording themselves saying the world's dumbest poo poo. When Jon left and Danny took his place they were still having a pretty good time. Lately it seems kinda like they're just doing it because Grumps is popular and it makes them pretty respectable money. They're not doing it because they're having fun doing it, they're doing it because they think they have to; I'm pretty sure it pays their bills.

I guess what I'm driving at is that it's been some time since I made a regular habit of watching Grumps in some time.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

slowbeef posted:

If anything, maybe the Katamari Damacy playthrough. They're at their best when they have something crazy to assault their senses. I genuinely enjoyed that one.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Concerning catchphrases...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_h0_OUSScc

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oh wow! I haven't seen that show in AGES. They used to show it on BBC America, albeit under a different name, "Brilliant!". Time to catch up on some of that.

:edit: Plus, while I'm at it. AllanGordon posted this in the Recommendation thread, but I feel that my response better fits this one, so gently caress it.

AllanGordon posted:

currently in the market for a really just hardcore lp like i want some total thugs just throwing down while theyre playing you know? i mean im not racist but no white lpers allowed i need some ghetto rear end motherfucker talking jive in my ear while he plays some lovely video game i played as a kid (100% runs only though)

and just to give a heads up if he's going to throw out some "niggas" you know to keep the momentum up im totally down with that so give me those recs

Well poo poo I gotcha covered my honky bro. HE ain't quite the jive turkey you're lookin' for, but he's close. The game ain't OG either, but whatever.

Here, get a load of THIS!

Also warning, for those that are offended for whatever reason by gay jokes, that link is time-stamped to a specific story about the LPers encounter with a gay looking dude in a V-neck....while he beats the poo poo out of some werewolves.

BMS fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 10, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Cool bro! But let's not start a derail at this point, right-o?

Edit: that Castlevania commentary is something, though. It's definitely a thing.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 10, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

The Game Grumps have racism in them? I don't really watch them, and I know DSP even has a video called "Top 10 racist jokes" or something, but you'd think that would cause some more public backlash. Then again this is the internet.

Nothing as overt as "In China they say cat very delicious. Harurururururu!" But more than a few times, they have fallen back on "thick stereotypical Asian accent" as a humor crutch. Look up "Sad Hoshi" for an example; A sad Japanese businessman who is too polite to share his troubles with anyone else, so he finds solace in child pornography.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Danny does have this weird sort of masochistic anti-Semitism to his humor at times but I'm given to understand that's sort of a Jewish thing in general.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think it's amusingly ironic that the guy who made a video about how games teach players, and how modern developers make needlessly intricate tutorials cannot figure out how to play half of the games he plays because he completely ignores said tutorials.

I think Danny is mostly average and can be amusing at times, he's at his best when he knows the game he's playing, but anything with Ross mostly devolves into absolute poo poo as everyone regresses to screaming children and making poo poo and penis jokes. And they they're just so funny too.
The 10 minute format really makes it obvious how much of a cashgrab this. Most of the videos in some series are more or less not even content because what the hell are you gonna do in 10 minutes? Watch an intro? Maybe get past the main menu?

Game Grumps has always been pretty bad but now it's just even worse. Trying to watch them just reminds me of DSP, especially with all the disgusting burping and farting on mic.

HGH fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 10, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

slowbeef posted:

Yeah dude, totally!

...No, just keep watching. Trust me.

At least their editor had the decency to put up a trigger warning? :smithicide:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamesman posted:

Alright now come on, this is just plain ridiculous.

Jamesman posted:

Both channels are video mills, where the people play games for hours on end, then post multiple, short videos a day.

DSP automatically cuts his videos at 10 minutes regardless of where it happens, the GG episodes have a conclusive opening and ending that aims for ten and goes over if they don't have a convenient cut off point.

Jamesman posted:

Both channels are filled with racism and creepy sexual commentary.

Game Grumps commentary can get off colour, but for the most part Dan tries to keep things clean, and when things go too off colour and offends people, they openly apologize or have Barry edit it out. Phil purposely 'jokes' about raping characters in games and then blames anyone complaining for being too PC.

Jamesman posted:

Both channels contain fan abuse.

Is this sarcasm? Danny has apologized for not responding to fan mail fast enough because he tries to read and respond to literally everyone who mails him. They also take pictures and talk with any fan that meets them in real life, and in every series they do they make sure to give a shout out and a thank you to anyone who sent it to them, even if they're playing a copy Danny or Arin already had. And there was the time they autographed and sold a shitload of their double copies of games and then donated all of the money they got to charity. I honestly can't think of a single incident of fan abuse unless it was jokingly done and then immediately explained as a joke. You're comparing this to someone selling the box of a video game for personal profit, and poo poo talking people who built him a computer for less than no profit on their part.

Jamesman posted:

Both channels have people making glaringly obvious mistakes in games because they can't be bothered to pay attention because they think they're too good for that.

Most of the games they play, Danny or Arin has a walkthrough immediately handy. If they don't, once they realize what they did wrong, they almost always call themselves out on it and take it back if they were blaming the game previously.

The game grumps are far from perfect, and some of their videos are outright unwatchable (Steam Train has become increasingly intolerable lately), but comparing them to DSP isn't even an exageration, it's outright wrong. They're actually learning from their mistakes and listening to criticism. If anyone wants to see what more recent grumps is like, I'd recommend their playthrough of The Goonies 2, or maybe their run of Gun Smoke. They get a lot of hate for things they really don't do that much anymore.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Another parallel between DSP and GamingGrumps: Neither are entertaining. I really don't understand some people in the thread bringing them up as an example of a good channel over and over.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Don't bother watching Game Grumps unless they're playing an NES/SNES game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Whatever happened to Ultra J-Man? Is that guy still around? I used to love his videos back when I enjoyed watching people scream over stupid self-imposed challenges. Also I always confused him with Oyster, because they were very similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

So It Goes posted:

I've watched the Game Grumps LP of Dark Souls 2, and yeah, it is horrible. However, not for the reasons you would think.

It's one thing to try to play the game, do horrible, die a bunch, and waste everyone's time. It's another to not even try, and achieve the same thing. They're in the loving house for three updates! That's the VERY beginning of the game!

I really don't know what they're going for. It's bad.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Whatever happened to Ultra J-Man? Is that guy still around? I used to love his videos back when I enjoyed watching people scream over stupid self-imposed challenges. Also I always confused him with Oyster, because they were very similar.

Yeah, he's still around! He mostly does streams, now, as far as I know.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 10, 2014

• Locked thread