Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

PaybackJack posted:

The most shocking twists usually come from people you don't expect. In this situation, i'm going to say Nick Fury fits that bill perfectly. He doesn't ask to go along with everyone, Cap puts him in charge, he's the exact type of guy who'd do a means justify the ends type reasoning as to why he had to kill the watcher and take one of his eyes. Calling in a second group to come ransack the place and cover his tracks is right up his alley and he can always use the out that it's another LMD gone bad like Max Fury.

I agree -- I think Fury's definitely behind this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Here's some small observations.

What we are meant to take from reading the issue is to see that the Watcher is dead and that his eyes were carved out and his tech closet raided. However this is likely not correct.

While the eyes were removed post mortem, there is no guarantee that whomever killed the Watcher, set out with the intention of taking his eyes.
Consider this. The Watcher was killed by a professional (as per the analysis of the body.) Yet the shot was to the Watcher's head, into the brain. If the murderers intention was to rob the Watchers eyes after killing him it stands to reason that they would not have gone with a head shot and risked damaging one of the eyes.

What does all this mean? I think it is likely the person who killed the Watcher and the ones who robbed his home and his corpse are not one in the same. We could be dealing with two, potentially three parties. (After all, who says that the thief had to have taken BOTH eyes. The people at the end of the issue are shown with One Eye which is most likely Utah's Eye. But the second Eye could have been taken by someone else.)

The theory that the person who killed the Watcher didn't take his stuff afterwards runs into a problem. How likely is it that someone would break in and steal the Watcher's stuff just after he'd been killed. It seems like too big a coincidence, until you consider that Marvel released a Anthology One shot about a year or so ago, where the framing story was about the Watcher going into a cosmic type of sleep to sort out his brain. As this happens, two mysterious figures in Space Suits show up to move around his home to do something. The details are a little lost on me, but it's likely that there are parties who have been monitoring the Blue Area of the Moon and were waiting for just the right time to take stuff, and decided to do so in the aftermath of this robbery.

If we go with this theory, the question then becomes, why did the murderer kill the Watcher? Removing greed as a motive we are left with two likely possibilities. A deep, personal grudge. Say anger at the Watcher for not interfering in an event, or anger at something that Utah's people have done. (The 0 issue helpfully reminds us that an entire race of beings were wiped out by Utah's people's meddling. Maybe that is why he did it.)
The other motive could be to keep something a secret. Utah sees everything, maybe the killer wanted him silenced. The Nick Fury theory has been floated and it's plausible. On the other hand Nick seems to be doing an active job investigating the case so it could be someone else.

One final point.
I initially took the person talking to T'Challa to be Tony Stark, giving the Illuminati link and all. However it is clear that he is someone else, someone very well connected who can organize people on a grand scale. (This could indeed be Nick Fury. It could also be Bruce Banner or Amedeus Cho.)
But look at the page where he's on the phone. If you look at his hands he appears to be holding a giant, glowing green bullet. Very similar to the fragments the Widow pulls out of Utah. Is he the murderer, sending the teams on a wild goose chase? Steering the investigation in the direction he wants it to go?
Or is he someone who has already figured out the murder weapon and is conducting his own investigation? If so this person is truly a Great Detective.

So in conclusion, my guess is that Batman did it.
The Pre-52 Batman, obviously.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Could it be that the murderer puts getting Uatu's eyes as a step 1 on his plan? Perhaps this wild goose chase, more than leading to discovering/never finding the murderer, is crucial to a bigger scheme, like wikileaking something in Uatu's eye?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I want the mystery to be bugfuck crazypants poo poo.

Like Fury and Odin steal the eyes to give them maximum knowledge type of poo poo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

FilthyImp posted:

Like Fury and Odin steal the eyes to give them maximum knowledge type of poo poo.
Are you sure they didn't plan this heist to gain the miracle of depth perception?

Anyway, whoever has the Watcher's eyes, granted they can use them (I would assume they do, why else would they take them) wouldn't they be able to see who was coming after them? Who's going to beat them or betray them?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I could see a hero doing it because these massive events (Fear Itself, Infinity, etc.) keep happening and loving poo poo up on a massive scale and they want to figure out a way to deduce when these things are happening in advance to try and prevent/mitigate the damage they cause.

"poo poo, the Watcher always shows up when things are about to get REALLY bad but he never actively helps (well except for a couple of times). If I had the ability to know this stuff, I'd make sure it never happens. I mean, killing one dude against saving billions? Makes sense to me!"

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 9, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

So in conclusion, my guess is that Batman did it.
The Pre-52 Batman, obviously.

I'm on board!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I can see why people are predicting Fury, but I can't help but shake the gut feeling that it's Bucky. He's got the skills to pull it off and I feel that he's about done as a hero in the publication sense. His solo run fizzled out and all he really has going for him is a team comic that isn't exactly setting the world on fire. He doesn't have much going on, so you might as well make him a bad guy.

Plus it would finally give us some payoff on that Next Avengers arc Bendis did years back.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If Nick Fury is involved I really want him to be hiding one of the eyes in his own empty eye socket, covered by the eye patch.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I was thinking this would end with Fury as the new Watcher somehow.

Also, I wonder if the Watcher's wife and baby that were brought up in FF will be addressed, or if that's just going to be passed off as a joke.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think it was an act of jealousy.

Look at that guilty face!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

I can see why people are predicting Fury, but I can't help but shake the gut feeling that it's Bucky. He's got the skills to pull it off and I feel that he's about done as a hero in the publication sense. His solo run fizzled out and all he really has going for him is a team comic that isn't exactly setting the world on fire. He doesn't have much going on, so you might as well make him a bad guy.

Plus it would finally give us some payoff on that Next Avengers arc Bendis did years back.

I doubt it as they did just have the captain america movie where he was seen as a victim, and looks like he is being set up as a hero. I doubt they would then turn him into a badguy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bucky is good but he's not "taking down the Watcher" good. I'm guessing it's someone looking for Thanos.

You know what gently caress it, it was Richard Rider.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

IUG posted:

I think it was an act of jealousy.

Look at that guilty face!

And he is a secret assassin.

(and the worst)

head58
Apr 1, 2013

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here: the first screen the mystery dude sends T'Challa shows dire wraiths. What the hell do they have to do with anything?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

head58 posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here: the first screen the mystery dude sends T'Challa shows dire wraiths. What the hell do they have to do with anything?

The shooter was ROM.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Rhyno posted:

The shooter was ROM.

The Watcher was really a Wraith guys, trust me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DynamicSloth posted:

The Watcher was really a Wraith guys, trust me.

...I think.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just read the Infinity Gaunlet after not reading it in several years and I suspecting Adam Warlock to be the killer He suppose to be the Space Jesus of the Marvel Universe but he comes off as a huge dick in the book by gathering up all the heroes only to just let them all die because he just wanted to stall. Plus the whole deal with his evil form Magus.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
So was the .1 promo book with the 2 suited characters infiltrating the Watcher's base a lead-in prior to the event being given to Aaron? I need to dig that book out.

Edit: Jeez, that was released in 2011. I have to imagine the planned story has changed a good bit since then.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

The shooter was ROM.

I would buy ALL THE COPIES.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Taskmaster stole the second eye, so now he knows every fighting move that has ever been preformed at any point in time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rirse posted:

I just read the Infinity Gaunlet after not reading it in several years and I suspecting Adam Warlock to be the killer He suppose to be the Space Jesus of the Marvel Universe but he comes off as a huge dick in the book by gathering up all the heroes only to just let them all die because he just wanted to stall. Plus the whole deal with his evil form Magus.

Apparently Marvel told Starlin he couldn't use Warlock in the Thanos graphic novel he's working on...

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 10, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Madrox posted:

So was the .1 promo book with the 2 suited characters infiltrating the Watcher's base a lead-in prior to the event being given to Aaron? I need to dig that book out.

Edit: Jeez, that was released in 2011. I have to imagine the planned story has changed a good bit since then.

Yes. This was originally going to be a Brubaker event ages ago but obviously he left Marvel. I think everybody had just dropped it until it was asked around at a retreat and Aaron went "eh I think I can do something with that".

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Having reread issue 1 I think the killer was Frank Castle.

The guy talking to T'Challa has another glowing green bullet so let's makena leap and assume he's the killer. The mystery guy isn't on hostile terms with Panther so its probably not some villain. Based on the dialogue T'Challa seems to suggest mystery guy wouldn't t have gotten the alert Cap sent out. The dude also suggests he's more comfortable with more extend methods than the Avengers. Going by the art (a dangerous trap, yes) he's a white male with straight hair (ruling out Reed) and no visible funky ears (not Namor) or prominent facial hair or eyewear. All those things line up for Frank to me.

Nick's little soliloquy about it being a clean shot and someone who has killed before? Check. And who else is going to use a gun to kill a major cosmic entity.

Motive? I honestly don't know if Frank ever ran into the Watcher but im sure he'd hate the guy. Just standing there when he could have intervened and stopped so much evil? And also interested in exposing the sins of all these supposedly morally superior "heroes". It all adds up to Frank to me.

Of course this could all be bullshit. It's probably Mephisto.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Gatts posted:

It's going to be Nick Fury as the master mind, who needs the Watcher's Eyes to do his job and save the universe, enlisting the aid of villains to throw the scent off. Who killed the Watcher though? That'd be triggerman and agent, Uncle Ben. Wait till you see what Agent Stacy's been up to. Basically if they died and were important, Nick's been using them as agents. Their bodies? LMDs.

Clearly, the culprits are Peter Parker's parents. BAM! Amazing Spider-man 2 tie in.

Or, y'know, maybe Jean Loring accidentally jumped into the Watcher's head via a phone call and popped out his eye on the way out. Possibly by means of a flame thrower, for some reason.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

FilthyImp posted:

The mythological Odin is missing an eye - he cut it out in exchange for unlimited cosmic knowledge. I don't know if this is already incorporated into the history of Marvel's Odin, but it would be an interesting parallel.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

A_Ruse! posted:

The mythological Odin is missing an eye - he cut it out in exchange for unlimited cosmic knowledge. I don't know if this is already incorporated into the history of Marvel's Odin, but it would be an interesting parallel.

If so he is not the only one that has plucked out their own eye in a quest for GEM SUPREMACY!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PaybackJack posted:

If so he is not the only one that has plucked out their own eye in a quest for GEM SUPREMACY!

I like DeFalco/Ryan FF more than I probably should...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Metal Loaf posted:

Apparently Marvel told Starlin he couldn't use Warlock in the Thanos graphic novel he's working on...

That's very interesting. Also I wonder if whoever killed the Watcher also killed the Living Tribunal as well.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A_Ruse! posted:

Back during Disassembled the Thor story at the time involved all the Asgardian characters dying because Ragnarok (not the robot). Since Odin gave up one of his eyes for power, Thor has to pluck both of his out because he had to one-up him for some reason. So at least in theory Marvel Odin gave up the eye rather just lost it some where.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

PaybackJack posted:

That's part of the thing behind Nick Fury. He has knowledge of the dark and behind the scenes of the MU and foresight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A_Ruse! posted:

Odin is currently dead, but he does only have 1 eye.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

The most shocking twists usually come from people you don't expect. In this situation, i'm going to say Nick Fury fits that bill perfectly. He doesn't ask to go along with everyone, Cap puts him in charge, he's the exact type of guy who'd do a means justify the ends type reasoning as to why he had to kill the watcher and take one of his eyes. Calling in a second group to come ransack the place and cover his tracks is right up his alley and he can always use the out that it's another LMD gone bad like Max Fury.
This little exchange of dialogue made me think there might be some life-model decoy shenanigans:

Fury: Did you tell them I was here?
Cap: No. I didn't know if you were still were.
Fury: Good. I don't know if I am either.

Obviously on surface, it's just Fury unsure if he's getting involved. But I did wonder if it was some foreshadowing. If Fury was the one who actually took the shot then at least some of the Fury we see in this issue is a LMD. Which could open up some weirdness if the LMD is functioning autonomously, doesn't know it's an LMD, and is basically chasing itself.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just hope it not Fury. They are already pushed him out of the Marvel universe for the most part, now they want to just make him a villain out of nowhere?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

Odin is currently dead, but he does only have 1 eye.

Wait...Odin is still dead? Was this from Ragnarok? So is Balder still ruling Asgard or is that Thor?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rirse posted:

I just hope it not Fury. They are already pushed him out of the Marvel universe for the most part, now they want to just make him a villain out of nowhere?

This is secretly an adaptation of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, it explains the unconventional team-ups

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rirse posted:

I think the idea is that this would be his swan song so Fury Jr. can be the official one. He's going to go out on a controversial note or something like his whole character I'd imagine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dacap posted:

This is secretly an adaptation of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, it explains the unconventional team-ups

Oh I forgot about that game and I even have the DLCs for it too! (since they been delisted for years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WickedHate posted:

If Nick Fury is involved I really want him to be hiding one of the eyes in his own empty eye socket, covered by the eye patch.

He still has two eyes, his eyepatch eye is just all hosed up.

• Locked thread