Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

mistaya posted:

The rat men directly after the first bonfire drop effigys, at least they were for me. I just got to the same zone. The second bonfire is a pretty nasty gauntlet but you can do it pretty quickly if you are careful.

Getting to that fogdoor for the bonfire is the biggest piece of poo poo run I think I have seen in either of the Dark Souls games. This is loving ridiculous. I mean, on the whole I enjoy DS2 a little more than one, but this section exemplifies their "Throw mobs at you = hard hur hur" design.

It doesn't help that I'm not seeing hardly any summon signs, but it only takes, like, two seconds to get a hit when I drop one that ultimately fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Whacking bosses over the head with powerstanced keys is surprisingly fun. No wonder they made it impossible.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Turns out not all bell invaders are assholes. I am immediately invaded upon entering Belfry Sol, I'm just hoping to kill some of the non-respawning NPC phantoms before I get double-teamed, let alone triple-teamed. The red phantom was content to follow me around throwing equipment breaking jars at me. When the grey phantoms started coming I decided I'd just try to suicide-kill one more NPC phantom.

Apparently 4v1 was a little too unsporting even for a bell invader. One of the greys attacked the red phantom and the other one joined in, letting me take care of the NPC and then have a nice fair 2v1 afterwards. :)

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I suck rear end at this game and I'm kinda terrified of "wasting" my tanenite shards. Whats the first really good item that drops that is totally worth upgrading?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sanctum posted:

Turns out not all bell invaders are assholes. I am immediately invaded upon entering Belfry Sol, I'm just hoping to kill some of the non-respawning NPC phantoms before I get double-teamed, let alone triple-teamed. The red phantom was content to follow me around throwing equipment breaking jars at me. When the grey phantoms started coming I decided I'd just try to suicide-kill one more NPC phantom.

Apparently 4v1 was a little too unsporting even for a bell invader. One of the greys attacked the red phantom and the other one joined in, letting me take care of the NPC and then have a nice fair 2v1 afterwards. :)

I think the reds and the greys just have a natural hate for eachother like ants.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Is pvp split up between ng level along with SM? Because that seems really hosed to me. Why would it matter, that's the loving purpose of memory.

Anyway im NG+ at like 3.4 mil tryna belfry. Is that high or is it just dead atm?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

~100 Wins Blue Cop Report~

Number of Hackers: 1 (Tried punting him off a bridge in undead crypt and failed)

Number of Unbeatable Laggers: 2 (Oddly both in Sol)

Number of Alt+F4s: 10+ (Why...)

Number of Cool Invadees: 3[or 4 had the same guy twice] (Not aggressive, will often play chameleon tag, I give gifts to these fellows)

Number of Poor Level Design Losses: 1 almost 2 (Lost Bastille has two ways for you to get screwed over as an invader, either they take the pharros elevator you can't use and they haven't cleared sentinels to boot or they sit in the tower apart bonfire room which is unreachable)

Number of gently caress You Spears: 3 (One being a white phantom)

Number of Double Avelyns: 1 (To be fair at one time I was using these to punish hexxers, I've lowered it to 1 with the right hand invisible ring and that's enough)

Number of Katanas: Lost count, the favorite enchant is lightning though

Number of Casters: About 25% of my invasions are hexxers/lightning chuckers, maybe 5-10% are normal sorcs, only 2 people used pyro at all

Number of Havels: 50-60% of my invasions

Number of Really Cool Gimicks: 0 (Not one fucker had a cool weapon/armor combo)

Number of Right Hand Invis Rings: 1 (Used pyro with it)

Win % on Arena Duels: 100% in 7 matches (Blue cops are bad)

Number of Invadee Suicides: 5 (Cliffs be sneaky)

Number of My Suicides: 5 (...)

Number of Times Hosts Turned the Mobs on Me: 4 (Worst was shrine of anime part 3)

Normal Win to Loss Ratio: 2.5 wins to a loss

Number of Blue Ring Summons: NOT ONE

Number of Belfry Invasions: 6 (Bell bros are usually cool with me being there)

Number of Red Invasions In My Game While Trying to Blue Invade: 15ish (Tower of Flame mostly)

Soul Memory: 6 Mil, NG+

Here's to the next 400 wins...

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
How do cracked red eye orbs work? I just switched to the brotherhood in NG at 1.5m soul memory and everywhere I go I get the "unable to find world to invade" message.

Surely there must be NG+ players i can still invade? What am I missing?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I suck rear end at this game and I'm kinda terrified of "wasting" my tanenite shards. Whats the first really good item that drops that is totally worth upgrading?

If you are looking to get 20 or more strength (and especially if you are going strength) then a Mace or Club are early game weapons that are very reliable and so powerful. If you're going full out Hulk smash then Large Club or Greatclub, though those will appear a fair bit later on. Part of the reason why these weapons are recommended is that heavily armored enemies that go 'heh' to slashy or pokey damage get wrecked by striking weapons like the Mace. On top of that, they stagger foes easily. If you get strong enough to swing two maces at once then you basically can stunlock all sorts of enemies (though it uses a lot of stamina.)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I have to say, that I'm kinda dissapointed with the dearth of selection of Greatswords in this game, I've only ever needed to use one greatsword in the entire time I'm playing this game (the drangeleic sword) that I upgraded twice, until now the only greatsword that came close to that was the Mastodon sword, but even that wasnt enough.

I did level up my strength like crazy so I can use big swords like the Smelter Sword, I upgraded that beast, but while it's reliable as a normal attack thing, it turns into a glass cannon once you use the strong attack, it's awesome and strong, but I really wish the durability of that things was a little higher.

I looked up how to get Havels armor, I would have NEVER found out how by myself, and gently caress, I'm gonna need two allies to get past those loving things guarding the key to it, holy poo poo is it almost impossible to get through.

What's the deal with the dark grey unpassable mist wall in that room in drangleic castle with the four ruin sentinels in it , i thought that by having both statues lit and all enemies killed it would disappear, but apparently not, is that like an exit to a boss room that I passed by?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

I looked up how to get Havels armor, I would have NEVER found out how by myself, and gently caress, I'm gonna need two allies to get past those loving things guarding the key to it, holy poo poo is it almost impossible to get through.

Try poison in short hurrah for ranged battle!

Also if you just charge into the room there are two passageways which those dumb giants can't fit through because they are big and dumb. Feel free to use them to your advantage because giants are dumb and deserve to die in dumb and painful fashion.

Also yeah I would never have found any of the secrets in that area because after I was done with the boss I basically said 'never again' and never went back again.

That said, I had to go back with my second character... and it was actually not bad since I slapped a whip on her and even though I could not begin to think of using it for fighting due to stats, it made busting all the statues extremely easy.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 10, 2014

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

carrionman posted:

How do cracked red eye orbs work? I just switched to the brotherhood in NG at 1.5m soul memory and everywhere I go I get the "unable to find world to invade" message.

Surely there must be NG+ players i can still invade? What am I missing?

NG is rough invading until you hit the end with 2-3 million and sit in a pvp heavy area, but this was a few days ago most people have probably started parking in NG+ now. Basically go to NG+ get some more soul memory and try your luck. I've tried Blue Coping in NG+ with 4 mill to 8 mill soul memory on two characters and get endless hits, just takes a few uses of the orbs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

They aren't guarding the key, you kill them both and the second one drops it along with a giant soul if memory serves. You can cheese them with a bow/magic if you want, once you exit the cave and stand on the ledge they'll lose aggro and walk away. You can just keep hitting them, running to the ledge and repeating until they die.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That's an interesting report, Fat and Useless, thanks for posting it. But...

Fat and Useless posted:

Here's to the next 400 wins...

I have bad news for you. Every loss counts against your covenant progress. You're going to need a lot more than 400 wins to max out your covenant.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I thought that was just for reds...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fat and Useless posted:

I thought that was just for reds...

Oh, I guess I don't know. I thought it was both. If it's just for reds then you're good.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Al-Saqr posted:

What's the deal with the dark grey unpassable mist wall in that room in drangleic castle with the four ruin sentinels in it , i thought that by having both statues lit and all enemies killed it would disappear, but apparently not, is that like an exit to a boss room that I passed by?
How do you light those statues? I tried with a torch and nothing. I was so proud of myself when I finally cleared that drat room.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Anyone notice a significant loss of volume + weird feedback buuzing noises when connected to another Co-Op summon?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I used my first branch of yore on the woman in Majula, since I'm playing using sorceries I'm guessing I want to use the next one on the person in Lost Bastille?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Sanctum posted:

How do you light those statues?

Kill a dude near a brazier in the room. Much like you did to open the front gate to the castle, a number of switches work on souls.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Sanctum posted:

How do you light those statues? I tried with a torch and nothing. I was so proud of myself when I finally cleared that drat room.

You have to kill the rock statue spearmen dudes while they're close to them, their souls will head for the statues instead of you and light them up, what that does other than light the torch is a mystery to me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
okay I don't know what it was bluecops suddenly got a fuckton more competent. I went from winning 10-1 to losing 1-10 in the Copse by the lockaway bonfire. Is it because I ascetic'd it so it's at intensity three?

also not sure I like the katanas as far as dex weapons go. It's kinda 'meh' to be entirely honest, and they have piss poor durability. I don't like being forced to use the knuckle ring or use oodles of repair powder. It's expensive!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Iron Rose posted:

okay I don't know what it was bluecops suddenly got a fuckton more competent. I went from winning 10-1 to losing 1-10 in the Copse by the lockaway bonfire. Is it because I ascetic'd it so it's at intensity three?

also not sure I like the katanas as far as dex weapons go. It's kinda 'meh' to be entirely honest, and they have piss poor durability. I don't like being forced to use the knuckle ring or use oodles of repair powder. It's expensive!

Dex weapons are all bad, but Katanas are the least bad. There's a reason I suggested grabbing an extremely high AR weapon and infusing it.

E: Well, the Hunter's Blackbow and longbow are both pretty good. Other than that though.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 10, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sanctum posted:

Kill enemies near them. A bunch of doors/golem torches require fresh souls.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Notitia posted:

Anyone notice a significant loss of volume + weird feedback buuzing noises when connected to another Co-Op summon?

Is your voice chat on?

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Tallgeese posted:

Is your voice chat on?

Even if you turn it off the game will auto-duck volume on everything. You can turn it off by right clicking the mixer in the bottom right, then going sounds>communications>Do Nothing.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Ulvirich posted:

Kill a dude near a brazier in the room. Much like you did to open the front gate to the castle, a number of switches work on souls.
Wait, you mean you just need to kill a dude near both golems by the front door? You don't need to wail on the never-ending stream of enemies for like half an hour? I thought it was some sort of endurance test thing :negative:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

King of Solomon posted:

Dex weapons are all bad, but Katanas are the least bad. There's a reason I suggested grabbing an extremely high AR weapon and infusing it.

E: Well, the Hunter's Blackbow and longbow are both pretty good. Other than that though.

Bah. I don't want to go back to maces! Maybe I'll see what the chaos blade is like.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Jose posted:

I used my first branch of yore on the woman in Majula, since I'm playing using sorceries I'm guessing I want to use the next one on the person in Lost Bastille?

Yeah the guy in Lost Bastille has some really good spells, and if your stats are high enough he'll give you a set that has a hood that increases cast speed.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Why am I having so much trouble killing Freja on NG+ ascetic :argh: I just want a Moonlight Greatsword. And every drat time she one shots me with a random leg stepping on me. Usually while I'm trying to get rid of the little spiders.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jose posted:

yes but don't worry, the game gives you more than enough branches of yore to unpetrify whatever you need to.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

fuxxo posted:

Even if you turn it off the game will auto-duck volume on everything. You can turn it off by right clicking the mixer in the bottom right, then going sounds>communications>Do Nothing.

That seemed to help a bit, thanks bud.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I just exterminated the sentinel room in Drangleic Castle and got more titanite slabs than pieces of ruin sentinal armour :negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Daynab posted:

Why am I having so much trouble killing Freja on NG+ ascetic :argh: I just want a Moonlight Greatsword. And every drat time she one shots me with a random leg stepping on me. Usually while I'm trying to get rid of the little spiders.

Summon the NPC phantom and she'll focus him the entire fight, giving you leeway to spam magic/kill baby spiders/heal/run the gently caress away.

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Yeah the guy in Lost Bastille has some really good spells, and if your stats are high enough he'll give you a set that has a hood that increases cast speed.

He also is one of two people in the game you can trade boss souls to, and the only one that gives you spells for them. It's better to unlock Shaded Woods first but he's definitely the best second choice.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Can someone explain this sunbro/bluebro/bellbro stuff to me? I know they're various covenants and such, I just don't understand how PVP works in this game at all.

Also, some red dude came into my level 40ish game and dropped a +10 crossbow of, like, ultimate poison destruction that I couldn't possibly equip anytime soon. :iiam:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Iron Rose posted:

Bah. I don't want to go back to maces! Maybe I'll see what the chaos blade is like.

Well, here's the best part of it. Ultimately, you're probably going to wind up going back to maces. Half the problem with Dex weapons is that none of them are strike weapons, and strike weapons are just better suited to fighting enemies in this game. Slash weapons and thrust weapons - the entire Dex repertoire! - are just not as good. Dex having lovely scaling just exacerbates the problem.

E: Also, just for kicks, look into the Curved Dragon Greatsword. It's a pretty neat weapon, hits pretty hard.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Bell covenant PVP has been a lot less scummy than I expected it to be. There are a fair number of hosts with summons, and it can be quite unfair when they cover each other and heal / use warmth. It's great to see people turning the tables on the bell invaders though, gently caress those guys.

I found myself in very few 2v1 situations in my favor. Either I'd kill the host 1v1 before the other guy showed up, or I'd run into a 1v2 against a host & summon where my other grey must have died before I loaded because I'd wait and they'd never come. I didn't even feel bad running into a 1v1 against the 1st grey and double-teaming the host, there were enough hosts with summons that it felt justified and moreso because unlike us greys those guys were not dicking around with silly weapons.

Except for HULK. Great roleplay, that guy was rad. I ran into him both hosting alone and as a summon for another host. But he used the caestus powerstance L2 too much which is dumb and he should be ashamed.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

dis astranagant posted:

Quit being such a whiny shithead. Raw Black Dragon Greatsword has the most damage without scaling of any comparable weapon. It's great on people who don't want to invest a ton of str but want a GS moveset, since you only need 13 str/16 dex to two hand it. The regular sword is harder to justify since no one uses those two handed if they can avoid it and 20 str is starting to get to the point where you might get some ok gains out of scaling.

whut? No, It's not the best non scaling weapon. The Malformed skull, santiers, are way better. Malformed skull isn't just a ton more damage, it also has a better moveset and is easier to 2hand @18 str and 7 dex.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Also the malformed skull is the most intimidating looking weapon in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Really considering putting a Curved Dragon Greatsword on a Lightning +5 path as a Faith build that BARELY has the requirements to wield it. Plus it has a neato special attack. Anyone have any experience with this weapon?