Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

omg chael crash posted:

Can someone explain this sunbro/bluebro/bellbro stuff to me? I know they're various covenants and such, I just don't understand how PVP works in this game at all.

Also, some red dude came into my level 40ish game and dropped a +10 crossbow of, like, ultimate poison destruction that I couldn't possibly equip anytime soon. :iiam:

Sunbros (Heirs of the Sun) help you, they have glorious golden yellow summon signs. They get covenant items for helping you.

Brotherhood of Blood (BoB, red phantoms) Invade you. They're the chaotic neutral of pvping in this game, only want to kill you for the sake of killing you.

Blue Sentinels (Bluebros / Blue Cops) Counter-invade people who have high amounts of sin (you get sin for invading other players and killing NPCs).

Dragon Remnants put out summon signs for you to choose to invade your world. Most honorable pvp-san.

Bell Keepers (Bellbros) are one of the 2 pvp covenants that invade you in specific locations in the game. They really really hate it when you ring their bells. They get a chunk of titanite every time they kill someone.

Rats are the other location-based PVP covenants. They just don't like you and want to fill you with poison. Get Pharos Lockstones for every kill.

I think that's all of them? Minus the two in majula, which are the ones that make the game harder (Company of Champions) or easier (Way of the Blue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Artificer posted:

Really considering putting a Curved Dragon Greatsword on a Lightning +5 path as a Faith build that BARELY has the requirements to wield it. Plus it has a neato special attack. Anyone have any experience with this weapon?

I used it a fair bit as a side weapon on my Dex build. It's really fun to use (entirely because of that special attack), but I have no idea how it would handle infusion.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Faraday Cage posted:

Wait, you mean you just need to kill a dude near both golems by the front door?

Yep, just one soldier for each golem statue will open them big ole door things up right quick like. Of course, I too had to kill several, several waves until I accidentally killed one near one of the golems. :downs:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ignimbrite posted:

Sunbros (Heirs of the Sun) help you, they have glorious golden yellow summon signs. They get covenant items for helping you.

You, as the summoner, also get one for beating a boss with one there.

That's why they are the truest of bros.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

Yep, just one soldier for each golem statue will open them big ole door things up right quick like. Of course, I too had to kill several, several waves until I accidentally killed one near one of the golems. :downs:

Really? There's a crossbow guy standing right next to one, killing him is what clued me in on what to do (likely why he's there at all). Did you lure him away from the golem?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

You, as the summoner, also get one for beating a boss with one there.

That's why they are the truest of bros.

Oh yeah, I forgot that. Yeah, always summon sunbros.

e: Damnit, forgot Pilgrims of the Dark, which isn't really a PVP covenant though. More like hidden bonus content for hexers.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 10, 2014

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Manatee Cannon posted:

They aren't guarding the key, you kill them both and the second one drops it along with a giant soul if memory serves. You can cheese them with a bow/magic if you want, once you exit the cave and stand on the ledge they'll lose aggro and walk away. You can just keep hitting them, running to the ledge and repeating until they die.

I just did black gulch/gutter myself. After beating everything else (literally beating the game). They were easier than I remember them being in the memories. 2 shot with GRS doing about 1500 damage a hit.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that. Yeah, always summon sunbros.

e: Damnit, forgot Pilgrims of the Dark, which isn't really a PVP covenant though. More like hidden bonus content for hexers.

Someone's never PvPed in the Chasm :smug:

(it's really mean, do it)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I found the mines bonfire in Harvest Valley but I can't see where to go next. Do I have to drop into the poison pit to continue? It definitely led me somewhere new but I died trying to pick something up :v:

Edit: Never mind I'm completely blind and missed the entrance

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

As someone who doesn't give a crap about hexing and only after the chime, can I kill Wheels McDark for the chime itself or do I have to go through all of his bullcrap?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

Can someone explain this sunbro/bluebro/bellbro stuff to me? I know they're various covenants and such, I just don't understand how PVP works in this game at all.

PvP Covenants:
Bell Keepers: When you're a member of this covenant and are wearing the Bell Keaper's Seal ring, then whenever another player is walking around in the Belfry Luna and Belfry Sol areas, you can get summoned into that player's world. Your goal is to make that player who's tresspassing in the Belfry dead. When you succeed, you're rewarded with a Titanite Chunk.

Brotherhood of Blood: You can use the Cracked Red Eye Orb to invade another player's world as a red phantom. Your goal as a red phantom is to make the player whose world you've invaded dead. When you succeed, you're rewarded with a Token of Spite.
You don't need to be member of this covenant to do this. However when you are, then when you get enough kills you gain rank in this covenant and get rewards. In addition you can use the Tokens of Spite to enter arenas where you can duel other members of this covenant.

Rat King Covenant: When you're a member of this covenant, are wearing the Crest of Rat ring and hanging out in the Grave of Saints or Doors of Pharros areas, then whenever another player enters these areas they can get summoned into your world as a gray phantom.
The gray phantom's goal is to either escape, or kill you. Your goal is to make the gray phantom dead. When you're a ratbro, the enemies in the Grave of Saints and Doors of Pharros as allied to you and hostile to the Gray Phantom. In addition you can use Pharros Lockstones to activate traps in the areas.

Dragon Remnants: When you join up, you get the Dragon Eye. You can use this to place down a soul sign and other players can summon you into their world for a duel. Whoever wins the duel is rewarded with a Dragon Scale, which can be used to gain ranks in the covenant.

Way Of Blue: When you're a member, whenever you're invaded by a red phantom another player that's a member of the Blue Sentinels covenant can come into your world to assist you against the red phantom invader.
Important note: You get ring when you join up, but you don't need to wear it to have Blue Sentinels come assist your.

Blue Sentinels: When you're a member and are wearing the Guardian's Seal ring, then whenever a player that's a member of the Way of the Blue is invaded by a red phantom, you can get summoned into that player's world to assist against the red phantom. Your goal is to make the red phantom dead.
You can use the Cracked Blue Eye Orb to invade another player who has acquired enough sin. Also you can use Tokens of Fidellity to enter arenas and dual other members of this covenant.

Co-op covenant:
Heirs of the Sun: Normally when you use the White Sign Soapstone, your sign and phantom form are white and when you fulfill your duty (by either assisting the host that sommoned you in killing the boss, or by killing enough enemies) you're rewarded with a Token of Fidelity.
When you're a member of this covenant, your sign and phantom form are a gloriously incandescent gold in colour. When you fulfill your duty, both you and the host are rewarded with a Sunlight Medal. You can use these to gain ranks in the covenant.

The last two covenants are not multiplayer related. The Company of Champions makes the game harded and Pilgrims Of Dark gives you acces to an optional boss and some hexes.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 10, 2014

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Ah, excellent. Thank you.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Dreggon posted:

Someone's never PvPed in the Chasm :smug:

(it's really mean, do it)

lol, some dude invaded me earlier while I was doing the chasms. pooped all over him though. Came at me while I was fighting one of the NPC phantoms too.

Vanderdeath posted:

As someone who doesn't give a crap about hexing and only after the chime, can I kill Wheels McDark for the chime itself or do I have to go through all of his bullcrap?

yes, just buy all his ascetics first. rip old man.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I like that no matter what soul memory I'm at there seems to always be oodles of people to duel at the first bonfire in Iron Keep.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Cardboard Box posted:

I like that no matter what soul memory I'm at there seems to always be oodles of people to duel at the first bonfire in Iron Keep.

Not sure why but its definitely the best PvP spot in the game.

Also you can invade in the Dark Chasm? :allears:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Heliosicle posted:

Not sure why but its definitely the best PvP spot in the game.

Also you can invade in the Dark Chasm? :allears:

Dragon covenant leader is Magerold

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah, still in NG at ~7 mil SM and it's still covered with duel signs.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I'm still really not sure why its so difficult to invade in this game. You only get X number of invasions before NG+ unless you farm cracked red eye orbs and only after a certain point in the game, which makes the whole way of blue/blue sentinels covenant seem super irrelevant for the first 40+ hours of the game. Not only that but you also need to be human to invade, and the whole soul memory thing makes it really restrictive.

You'd think it'd be easy to code in restrictions on invasions so they can't occur more than X number of times in a certain time period. The whole existence of the way of blue covenant seems like they had different ideas and reverted it somehow - it'd be super convenient for players who didn't like being invaded to just join that covenant, which would actually make the whole wonky system work. But it doesn't.

Operant fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 10, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Alan Smithee posted:

Dragon covenant leader is Magerold

Yeah but everyone at all levels seems to congregate there, not just dragon dudes but red summon signs too. And then of course all these people waiting means people invade there a lot, which brings all the cops looking to invade the invaders until you end up with one big mess and its great.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Does any dagger get the backstab/riposte damage bonus? I ask because the Royal Dirk does a slashing animation like a sword, not a stabbing animation. Speaking of daggers, if you're having problems with the human form of a certain Nameless Usurper: Mytha's Bent Blade does very little damage but slowly builds both Poison AND Toxic. Slash at her once a second or so and you'll be able to prevent her from spamming heal while she slowly dies. This is handy for late-game DEX builds that don't have enough poise break to actually stagger her.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

The downside to that is you can get some dick who summons up two sunbros then summons a red phantom. Cheap as gently caress for the red phantom and probably quite annoying for the sunbros who thought they'd be fighting the Smelter Demon.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

MadJackMcJack posted:

The downside to that is you can get some dick who summons up two sunbros then summons a red phantom. Cheap as gently caress for the red phantom and probably quite annoying for the sunbros who thought they'd be fighting the Smelter Demon.

When this has happened to me, I just sit there and let the host die.

Actually,the 3 times it's happened, both me and the other phantom just let the host die.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

MadJackMcJack posted:

Yeah, when the host is invaded I'll help. But when the host summons the red phantom I either black crystal out or cheer the red phantom on.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

When this has happened to me, I just sit there and let the host die.

Actually,the 3 times it's happened, both me and the other phantom just let the host die.
I love the sound of hosts writing checks they can't cash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpaT28qMfis

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

Brotherhood of Blood (BoB, red phantoms) Invade you. They're the chaotic neutral of pvping in this game, only want to kill you for the sake of killing you.

Blue Sentinels (Bluebros / Blue Cops) Counter-invade people who have high amounts of sin (you get sin for invading other players and killing NPCs).

Dragon Remnants put out summon signs for you to choose to invade your world. Most honorable pvp-san.

Bell Keepers (Bellbros) are one of the 2 pvp covenants that invade you in specific locations in the game. They really really hate it when you ring their bells. They get a chunk of titanite every time they kill someone.

Rats are the other location-based PVP covenants. They just don't like you and want to fill you with poison. Get Pharos Lockstones for every kill.

I think that's all of them? Minus the two in majula, which are the ones that make the game harder (Company of Champions) or easier (Way of the Blue).
You forgot the darkness one that you join from the guy in the wheelchair.

If you're having difficulty understanding the covenant system you probably ought to join the order of the sun or the way of the blue. Both are kind of zero effort to join and both have smallish benefits that are good for new players.

Now how exactly do you invade as a BoB? I've never really put any time into that covenant but as far as I saw you can only get a red soapstone from the creepy little bastard which means you can only do consensual invasions (sounds dirty but isn't). Do you just have to use those for a while or use the as far as I an tell limited supply of cracked red eye orbs before he gives you a proper one?

Also, as a word of advice if you only started the game fairly recently and your soul memory is kind of low you should probably join the bellkeeper covenant and pvp a bunch as them. If your soul memoryl is low you'll mostly be facing other new-ish players and you'll almost always have another player invading them at the same time so you can double team people. It gets you accustomed to Dark Souls glorious pvp. It also helps you gather up a stock of titanite chunks which is good because there's really no other easy way to farm them in the early to mid game.

Edit:

Red Crown posted:

Does any dagger get the backstab/riposte damage bonus? I ask because the Royal Dirk does a slashing animation like a sword, not a stabbing animation. Speaking of daggers, if you're having problems with the human form of a certain Nameless Usurper: Mytha's Bent Blade does very little damage but slowly builds both Poison AND Toxic. Slash at her once a second or so and you'll be able to prevent her from spamming heal while she slowly dies. This is handy for late-game DEX builds that don't have enough poise break to actually stagger her.
Each weapon's stats page has a number marked "counter multiplier" or something like that. For almost all weapons it'll be in the 110-130 range with certain weapons getting up to 140-150. That's the stat that shows how much counters/backstabs do, the higher the better. Also holy poo poo mythra's bent blade does toxic too? This whole time I thought it was just a kind of mediocre poisoned dagger. Time to level that sucker up :getin:

Speaking of which, doesn't scoring a backstab with poison/bleeding weapons cause them to do waaay more of that status damage than a normal hit or two would? Like, a well timed backstab with a bleed weapon would almost guarantee the target to start bleeding? I seem to rememer t being like that in the original game.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 10, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

InequalityGodzilla posted:

How how exactly do you invade as a BoB? I've never really put any time into that covenant but as far as I saw you can only get a red soapstone from the creepy little bastard which means you can only do consensual invasions (sounds dirty but isn't). Do you just have to use those for a while or use the as far as I an tell limited supply of cracked red eye orbs before he gives you a proper one?

You have to use cracked red eye orbs until NG+ when you can buy them for 10000 souls a pop. No uncracked red eye orbs. Red phantoms got hosed in DS2.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Each weapon's stats page has a number marked "counter multiplier" or something like that. For almost all weapons it'll be in the 110-130 range with certain weapons getting up to 140-150. That's the stat that shows how much counters/backstabs do, the higher the better.
This is only COUNTER damage. It does not influence critical damage (backstab/reposte). The critical modifier is hidden. You just have to roughly gauge the crit damage relative the normal attack damage, or else the absolute damage. For example, a heavy weapon will still probably do more crit damage than a dagger, but the heavy weapon naturally has a lower crit damage modifier. If you're interested in whether X weapon is good for backstabs, just stab something in the back and compare it to another weapon, being less concerned with the apparent modifier, and more with whether or not the backstab did more/less damage.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I did like a dozen fights vs. the Mirror Knight as a sunbro earlier.

Not once did we actually get a PC phantom summoned. It's always one of those lame-rear end NPC phantoms that die in like three punches. :(

Y'all with the red soapstone need to seriously step up your game. :colbert:

(I've taken to spamming "this one's me" in front of the mirror when he clunks it down to summon and I want actual players to bear witness to my egotism)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
After summoning dragons for ~30 or 40 minutes on the bridge I learned a few things:

1. It's probably easier to get dragon scales by summoning them vs. being summoned.

2. Either matchmaking is borked with the non blue/red PvP covenants and I'm seeing alot of low level people at 7m SM, or everyone I'm summoning is somehow in my level range but using really low level equipment, dieing in one combo, or is just really bad. Or all 3.

3. Lots of dragon bros I summon just attack immediately, even if I'm in the middle of a bow.

4. I've yet to die to a dragon bro, but just went from 5 to 37 dragnon scales.

5. I keep getting invaded by the same red, he drops 60k souls (x5 would put him at SL 250 or so I think?).

6. Every time I summon a red-dueler, I am simultaneously invaded by another red. I don't really get it, but it happens without fail.

7. Being summoned by dudes as a dragon, I'm getting alot more people in my level range. One dude I just killed dropped 100k souls, thats more like it.

8. I don't envy being summoned as a dragon bro, 4/5ths of everyone is just standing behind your back waiting for you to spawn in. No honor!

poo poo is whack, fun though. Gonna stick with getting summoned for a bit so I can fight people closer to my SM. seems like It's broke for summoning but not being summoned?

PS there is no more frustrating thing than constantly getting the 'hit' sound on someone, and it looks like you should be stabbing the gently caress out of them and yet they never take any damage. gently caress those people.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 10, 2014

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Just started pvping yesterday on a whim and the people who stand behind you while you spawn seem to need every advantage they can get because they're pretty bad. I'm not even sure how you'd get backstabbed because you can just roll away.

Also how many hits does it take to cause bleeding with the full moon sickle?

y_3 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 10, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mazed posted:

So I did like a dozen fights vs. the Mirror Knight as a sunbro earlier.

Not once did we actually get a PC phantom summoned. It's always one of those lame-rear end NPC phantoms that die in like three punches. :(

Is it even an exact science? I know people mentioned putting down the sign or cracked orb in Drangleic in just the right spot but even that seems like a rain dance

Tabletops posted:

After summoning dragons for ~30 or 40 minutes on the bridge I learned a few things:

1. It's probably easier to get dragon scales by summoning them vs. being summoned.

6. Every time I summon a red-dueler, I am simultaneously invaded by another red. I don't really get it, but it happens without fail.

8. I don't envy being summoned as a dragon bro, 4/5ths of everyone is just standing behind your back waiting for you to spawn in. No honor!

poo poo is whack, fun though. Gonna stick with getting summoned for a bit so I can fight people closer to my SM. seems like It's broke for summoning but not being summoned?

1. I've honestly never had issues getting summoned, sometimes it takes a minute or so, but I like the safety of dying as a shade

6. I'm actually curious if your odds of being invaded are always the same even when invaded once. I haven't had that happen thank God. One is enough.

8. For me it's the other way around though I'm sure it goes both ways equally. For the most part people will bow, I'd say a good 25% think they can get cheap shots in (which doesn't work)

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

y_3 posted:

Just started pvping yesterday on a whim and the people who stand behind you while you spawn seem to need every advantage they can get because they're pretty bad. I'm not even sure how you'd get backstabbed because you can just roll away.

Yeah, this happening is the most annoying thing. Worst time was when a ratbro was firing those lingering fireballs while I was spawning.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

0lives posted:

Yeah, this happening is the most annoying thing. Worst time was when a ratbro was firing those lingering fireballs while I was spawning.

If anything that just puts them in a more vulnerable position if you dodge it. Most ratbro hosts will stay on the 2nd level and snipe at you while you deal with the MOBs

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Kiggles posted:

This is only COUNTER damage. It does not influence critical damage (backstab/reposte). The critical modifier is hidden. You just have to roughly gauge the crit damage relative the normal attack damage, or else the absolute damage. For example, a heavy weapon will still probably do more crit damage than a dagger, but the heavy weapon naturally has a lower crit damage modifier. If you're interested in whether X weapon is good for backstabs, just stab something in the back and compare it to another weapon, being less concerned with the apparent modifier, and more with whether or not the backstab did more/less damage.

Is this a specific number? I remember DkS1 had it so that a weapon either did or did not do bonus damage for special attacks like that. I'm trying to figure this out because the +10 Rapiers do so little damage to end-game enemies, I'm finding myself having to backstab or riposte 3 or even 4 times.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

y_3 posted:

Also how many hits does it take to cause bleeding with the full moon sickle?

Anyone who tries cheap shots has not done enough duels to know that won't work. Unfortunately they usually are magic users which means one shotters if you can't teach em a lesson in time. Though I was lucky enough to get a Havel who didn't have a clue. I broke like 3 of his weapons before killing him :getin:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think I'm officially bored of the PVP in this game. The blue sentinals did it. Maybe it was just my soul level but dear lord, it took forever to find someone to invade and inevitably whoever I invaded would either summon up a boat load of phantoms, or hide behind a corner somewhere and try to lead a game of hide and seek, except they can heal and I can't. I don't understand the appeal in this or why From decided to make the only real reward of this poo poo take 500 victories.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

0lives posted:

Worst time was when a ratbro was firing those lingering fireballs while I was spawning.

Which is strange, since you have a ton of opportunities to stuff lingering flames along the path to slow the phantom's advance and otherwise run interference with rats. Between that and acetics it's a wonder why a rat would ever resort to the absolute bottom barrel of dickbaggery. Its like some people hate fun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It seems like the people resorting to the cheap stuff are probably grinding materials which is a shame because it takes the spirit out of the whole thing

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

0lives posted:

Holy poo poo, and here I thought great lightning spear, dark fog and camouflage in a fully opened up Doors of Pharros was unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

You forgot the darkness one that you join from the guy in the wheelchair.

If you're having difficulty understanding the covenant system you probably ought to join the order of the sun or the way of the blue. Both are kind of zero effort to join and both have smallish benefits that are good for new players.

Now how exactly do you invade as a BoB? I've never really put any time into that covenant but as far as I saw you can only get a red soapstone from the creepy little bastard which means you can only do consensual invasions (sounds dirty but isn't). Do you just have to use those for a while or use the as far as I an tell limited supply of cracked red eye orbs before he gives you a proper one?

Brotherhood of Blood gets more Cracked Red Eye orbs by winnning duels in their arena.