Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, Rosalina is pretty much God.

Or at least, she's the author. Which is bad enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part XXXV - World 1 Green Stars :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: Cherrydoom & chuuurls)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I liked the idea of green stars, but gently caress going back to the faceship, loading the level and slugging through it three times for each world in the game.

If you could just keep going (Maybe back to a checkpoint if anything) it would be much more tolerable.

also it keeps having you murder yoshi which is no good

:yoshi:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I JUST realised that the item pickup sound for those drill things, is from the Mario Kart games when you select an item...not sure which one but wow.

So...I had no idea this was what the post-post-game was gonna be like and...I am not sure if I like it or not. But I'll still keep watching for sure, there are some nicely hidden ones for sure.

DecayDOA
Jun 3, 2013

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
That one up on the battlements in the Bowser stage took me a miserable age to find when I played through this. Also, in case it wasn't totally clear from the video, do not try to do this blind with the sound off. You will quickly come to hate yourself and everyone else.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FinalGamer posted:

So...I had no idea this was what the post-post-game was gonna be like and...I am not sure if I like it or not. But I'll still keep watching for sure, there are some nicely hidden ones for sure.

It starts off as an entertaining gimmick, then gets just loving tiring when you're just slogging through levels trying to catch 'em all like Diabetus said, then loops back around to entertaining once some of the more challenging green stars show up in later levels.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I like the first green star in the 2nd Fluzzard galaxy.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
A later galaxy has one of those "do or die" stars Diabetus mentioned in the video, and it may have killed me more than any other star in the game. The camera angle makes it pretty much impossible to figure out where it is without jumping at it and dying a million times, and it's one of those spots where you aren't allowed to move the camera.

I remember that happening a few times with the green stars, actually. The camera is never a problem in the main game, but it can get really obnoxious when you're hunting green stars and the game arbitrarily decides you can't move it in this one stretch of land.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.
The post-postgame World 1 map screen music is by far my favorite song in the game. It's so good! Almost all the music is great but the green star song is just a beautiful song. Definitely part of the reason I bought this game's soundtrack on eBay a few years ago.

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

I felt like most of the green stars ended up being careful triple jumps with a spin or wall jumps. Especially in the later levels, it started to get a little samey.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

DarkHamsterlord posted:

A later galaxy has one of those "do or die" stars Diabetus mentioned in the video, and it may have killed me more than any other star in the game. The camera angle makes it pretty much impossible to figure out where it is without jumping at it and dying a million times, and it's one of those spots where you aren't allowed to move the camera.

I remember that happening a few times with the green stars, actually. The camera is never a problem in the main game, but it can get really obnoxious when you're hunting green stars and the game arbitrarily decides you can't move it in this one stretch of land.

Are you talking about the ghost galaxy, where you have to skip the first opportunity to leave the shifting sides (like an inverted cube) with insta-death purple matter under you? That one star killed me almost as much as the toughest star in the game because of the camera.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, just seeing where these stars end up is a real education in the extent of the levels.

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part XXXVI - World 2 Green Stars :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: slowbeef)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Diabetus posted:

:mario: Part XXXVI - World 2 Green Stars :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: slowbeef)
Scuse me, environmental responsibility, you just slaughtered the natural wildlife of a few galaxies :colbert:

Always a pleasure to see a shining star across the night sky, just like this video. I'm also one of those people who never really finish a world until it's completely done, barring any stars that require a future skill or so. I guess that started with Mario 64 and just sort of picked up from on there.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That non-penguin character looks suspiciously like a penguin.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.
The first green star in Cosmic Cove reminds me of that Kaizo Mario 64 ROMhack where the guy just moved the star a few inches away from the floating island. "Eh, that's enough. :effort:"

Always a pleasure to see a new video, Betus. Here's hoping your full time Let's Play career goes well.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I remember when LPs were wholesome family entertainment. Curse you for filling the web with this immoral filth Betus! :argh:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What happens to Fluzzard the instant you touch a star?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Slowbeef posted:

Luigi's tongue is very long?!

Shockingly so!

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

beep by grandpa posted:

What happens to Fluzzard the instant you touch a star?

He's vaporized by the superheated plasma that makes up the corona.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What protects Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi from suffering the same fate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well see they collect the star.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

beep by grandpa posted:

What protects Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi from suffering the same fate.

Mario's love for stars is so great that it protects him from the searing heat of their nuclear furnace. Nothing can stop Mario from getting his stars, not walls, not floors and definitely not the laws of physics.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Youtube closed captioning posted:

the they do cricket also your death when you're trying to get me started
canister
also a few your death you wanna hear this commentary
yes matter person
doing it as their lets players with no two-person doing this I'm language
Laura well there's the you to play the Google closed captioning which probably
said I was talking about yes it's completely accurate as well yeah thought
about Brad its gonna say or something like that
and what happens with the clothes catching up there's like crosstalk

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The stars actually act as a new life. But the person who collects them gets burned and dies either way. Because, you know, they touched a star. These things are way hotter than any sort of lava.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So why aren't the stars enormous spherical things?

Also, if Mario Luigi is collecting all the stars, what are all those planets orbiting?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Guys, guys, you are missing the easy explanation. You know those good job golden stars that teachers give out? Well this is a good job trophy and the reason why the others vanish is that they burn up with jealousy from not being the ones to get it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Carbon dioxide posted:

So why aren't the stars enormous spherical things?

Also, if Mario Luigi is collecting all the stars, what are all those planets orbiting?

Black holes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ariong posted:

Black holes.

Which by the way function absolutely nothing like the black holes in our universe; most probably the Mushroom Kingdom simply uses the same name for a completely different phenomenan in the same way that they call 'Galaxies' what we would normally call 'Star Systems'.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Neruz posted:

Which by the way function absolutely nothing like the black holes in our universe; most probably the Mushroom Kingdom simply uses the same name for a completely different phenomenan in the same way that they call 'Galaxies' what we would normally call 'Star Systems'.

And Luigi can jump three times his height! What's up with that?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Suspicious Dish posted:

And Luigi can jump three times his height! What's up with that?

I remember reading an entertaining thing awhile back that put forth a convincing argument that Mario and co were in fact like half an inch high.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Mushroom Kingdom is the future of the Pikmin world. The Pikmin games are prequels showing how Olimar, who helped them, set the stage for a legend to appear in the future, they just messed up on the name a little.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Neruz posted:

I remember reading an entertaining thing awhile back that put forth a convincing argument that Mario and co were in fact like half an inch high.
It depends on the size of your TV.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I'm sorry, you two are clearly wrong. Wario is the Libertarian of the Mario Universe.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

legoman727 posted:

I'm sorry, you two are clearly wrong. Wario is the Libertarian of the Mario Universe.

"Waaa! Magic internet money that stays good even if the government goes away? Where have you been all of Wario's life?"

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Oh please. Wario's all about gold. :colbert:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

MR. J posted:

Oh please. Wario's all about gold. :colbert:

So he's an Objectivist then? I always knew the name 'Wario' was an anagram for 'John Galt'. :10bux:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr. Soop posted:

So he's an Objectivist then? I always knew the name 'Wario' was an anagram for 'John Galt'. :10bux:

Wario admits to being a greedy self-serving poo poo though, which flies in the face of Objectivism.
Which is all about ambiguously justifying greed as a moral good.

'Whaaaat's a philosophy? Is it worth anything?'

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wario admits to being a greedy self-serving poo poo though, which flies in the face of Objectivism.
Which is all about ambiguously justifying greed as a moral good.

'Whaaaat's a philosophy? Is it worth anything?'

Wario: the secret third Koch brother, or the secret third Koch brother. YOU DECIDE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
You all know Luigi wears a fedora to his university classes.

• Locked thread