Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I mean it looks like a copy of Manly Guys Doing Manly Things in the format of "two guys and a chick on a couch", but I suppose if you're going to try to copy something successful you can at least copy something great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't think anyone gets dibs on "people talking on a couch".

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

umalt posted:

Either that word means something different, or Fanboys has an update schedule again.

Thats more of a 'if you read through the archives a fair number of them are reasonably funny' than a 'it updates ever' sort of thing.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
The gag is ok I guess, but for some reason I am really bothered by the ridiculous size of the dude's chain (that kind of looks like a pull from a ceiling fan?) and the girl's zipper pull. Which seems to change sizes halfway through.

Anyway, everyone knows that young people today all listen to that dubstep music while playing pokemons on their nintendos!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Devor posted:

Post some funny ones so that we don't have to sift through it, because I just went back like 20 comics and they're all plot-centered dreck that barely have a joke among them. The one you posted is pretty good though!

This is what killed Sluggy Freelance for me. (Although I do not believe it was only coincidence that he also got into World of Warfcraft around that time.)

Comics do not have much inertia to fall back on when they start to lose steam. Mostly hit-or-miss comedy.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Suicide Sam E. posted:

This is what killed Sluggy Freelance for me. (Although I do not believe it was only coincidence that he also got into World of Warfcraft around that time.)

Comics do not have much inertia to fall back on when they start to lose steam. Mostly hit-or-miss comedy.

WoW didn't even exist when he started trying to do big sweeping plot arcs; he was on that poo poo by the third year or so, I think? I started reading Sluggy in 2000, stopped a couple years later. God drat is that comic unreadable now, how did I ever love it enough to buy 3 of his loving books

EDIT: Holy mother of gently caress I just googled sluggy and not only is he still updating (that's what, 15-ish years now probably?), his art hasn't gotten the slightest bit better in all that time

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I really really liked sluggy freelance at the beginning. My only regret is reading it for too long after the point where it jumped the shark. It was quite fun for awhile.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

WoW didn't even exist when he started trying to do big sweeping plot arcs; he was on that poo poo by the third year or so, I think? I started reading Sluggy in 2000, stopped a couple years later. God drat is that comic unreadable now, how did I ever love it enough to buy 3 of his loving books

EDIT: Holy mother of gently caress I just googled sluggy and not only is he still updating (that's what, 15-ish years now probably?), his art hasn't gotten the slightest bit better in all that time

I liked the initial plot arcs. But Abrams started to re-visit them, when most of them seemed stale by so doing.

Agent355 posted:

I really really liked sluggy freelance at the beginning. My only regret is reading it for too long after the point where it jumped the shark. It was quite fun for awhile.

Same.

The Kitten story arc was pretty weak IMHO. If I had to say when it definitely died I'd state around when the Halloween stories started lasting for months after Halloween. Maybe the cursed/haunted house one, with the vengeful ghost walled in the attic. Or the story where Riff is outed as working for an evil/amoral laboratory. Whichever one came first.

I liked reading Sluggy and sometimes they were funny. Sometimes many were funny in a row. I didn't mind missing for a while and playing catch-up, but when I started having to follow plots several weeks long and going to where I left off and following in order had no benefit to the humor ..too little reward.

Personally I hate Bun-bun and believe the comic took a definitely dip when he went from being introduced to turning out to be a recurring character instead of a one-off. But this is probably not an opinion most would share.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hey look it's party cat

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And also this

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Pick posted:

I don't think anyone gets dibs on "people talking on a couch".

It's well-traveled ground:

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I can't think of a comic that started as joke a day and tried to focus on actual involved plotlines without turning to poo poo. It's like magic. Maybe some exceptions, but only ones that made the leap to storylines very early. Even with Oglaf, when a storyline outlasts the week I start to tune out. (Returning to past characters/themes later seems to be safe.)

I used to say "webcomic" specifically, but reading the newspaper strips thread made me realize it's just as true on paper.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yah Oglaf story arcs are kinda hit or miss and end to be worse than their one off pages, that said they also tend to create some fun characters and give them set personalities, so when hey show up later it makes for better jokes. So even the bad arcs tend to lead to good one off jokes later, I think that's acceptable.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Agent355 posted:

Yah Oglaf story arcs are kinda hit or miss and end to be worse than their one off pages, that said they also tend to create some fun characters and give them set personalities, so when hey show up later it makes for better jokes. So even the bad arcs tend to lead to good one off jokes later, I think that's acceptable.

This was slightly true of Sexy Losers as well.
Also, if you are at work SL is NSFW.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
I can't be the only person who likes Cat and Girl, right?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

You can get this one in candy form!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
If we're talking about Fanboys, it's worth noting that the guy is a good lesson in taking criticism, so even when he's not great, I still dig and respect his comic a lot:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
His art really improved. The worst you could say now would him drawing very disney-esque.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Funny old fanboys:

Edit: Oh yeah, this one's great.

gobboboy has a new favorite as of 16:12 on May 10, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

And this starts playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WppTbLm_zJg&t=7s

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I thought Fanboys had great facial expression, I know a handful made me laugh anyway, especially the one where the guy has the dream about Shigeru Miyamoto at I think Sams Club?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Speaking of the devil, guess who updated today.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

AbusePuppy posted:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

AbusePuppy posted:

Some of it's old stuff is great, but for the longest time all it seemed to be was the cat and girl talking past one another in weird philosophic wonderings.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It feels like you could read the panels of this strip in any random order and it would still make the same amount of sense.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of stupid but I laughed at the latest Wondrella.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Some of it's old stuff is great, but for the longest time all it seemed to be was the cat and girl talking past one another in weird philosophic wonderings.

It's definitely pretty hit or miss, but I think she does a good job of Cat's not-quite-part-of-the-conversation addendums balancing out Girl's text-heavy musings. Also I tend to love any comic that requires a bachelor's degree and extensive references to Wikipedia to understand half the jokes.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

This is one of my all time top faves.

The whole concept just eludes him

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Triskelli posted:

I mean it looks like a copy of Manly Guys Doing Manly Things in the format of "two guys and a chick on a couch", but I suppose if you're going to try to copy something successful you can at least copy something great.

First Fanboys was in 2006. First Manly Guys Doing Manly Things was in 2010.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Toriori posted:

I thought Fanboys had great facial expression, I know a handful made me laugh anyway, especially the one where the guy has the dream about Shigeru Miyamoto at I think Sams Club?

It was a guest strip, but it's still good.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of stupid but I laughed at the latest Wondrella.

I don't get it. Crabs? Cancer?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

There's also a crossover (?) between the two for April's fool.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Not a viking posted:

It's a Rock Lobster.

vvv :smug:

Pilchenstein has a new favorite as of 00:01 on May 11, 2014

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Rock Lobster

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

Not a viking posted:

it was a rock lobster.

Edit: aww, beaten...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Rock rock rock Rock Lobster!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

And just in case the setup doesn't make sense either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leohcvmf8kM

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

AKA Pseudonym posted:

And just in case the setup doesn't make sense either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leohcvmf8kM
I thought about posting that video too but acknowledging that there are people who don't know about the Love Shack just makes me feel loving old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

AKA Pseudonym posted:

... not available... in my country? I'm the guy who can't understand he was a baby. I'm thinking that hard about this.

• Locked thread