Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Who is out busting rear end on the major work next to I-80 in Nevada? I know some of you guys were bidding on those jobs. Poor fuckers are going to get snowed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Just chiming in to say how muuch I've enjoyed Axeman Jim's posts onn excreable British trains. Back in the day I used to travel on the EPB stock and they were unredeemable shitboxes. Having said that they did have very comfy horsehair sttuffed seats - and BR branded antimacassars in the first class compartments.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm on SunRail right now, will post pictures later. Interestingly there were some Tri-Rail DMUs parked outside of DeBary station on a siding...guessing they're looking into those for the fleet.

EDIT: Photos!

And here's a video of a southbound train departing as a northbound enters! (apologies for crappy phone camera quality)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eskg9mf46osftr8/2014-05-07%2008.09.32.mp4

Zeether fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 7, 2014

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

~Coxy posted:

Can't you just use normal earbuds underneath full size earpro?

Maybe if I was like 100 years old

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Okay guys the big boy is coming through my district. Even though I'm from Cheyenne, and I'll be able to go look at it anytime I want to, I think it would be cool to be part of its history..

They are moving it from Green River to Laramie today. And then maybe from Laramie over to Cheyenne its final destination tomorrow.

Its the closest train right now, and I'm second out so it looks like I'm gonna miss it. :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Apparently the Tri-Rail DMUs are awful at accelerating and they're not really fit for Sunrail because of some grades. Whoops. Dunno if they're gonna look into ordering any from US Railcar unless they improve on that.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
There are grades in florida?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Not really noticeable enough but I think there are.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Sooo

I transported the Bigboy 4014 118 miles to its overnight resting spot in Laramie yesterday/last night.

By transported I mean I was at the controls. 25 MPH the whole way. There are two locomotives.

The locomotive on the front, UP4014 (a newish SD-70M) is used only to pull the draft gear "straight" on the front trucks.

Since the front draft gear/truck has no travel limiting installed on them yet, the front locomotive is put into the 3rd notch of power and left there. At absolutely no time is it allowed to exceed notch 3 or EVER EVER use dynamic.

It was essentially left there in the 3rd notch of power the entire trip without moving the throttle to keep pressure on the equipment to prevent it from taking an inadvertent and unexpected right or left turn off the track.

Since the front locomotive has so little to do, they are in charge of the automatic brakes through all of the cars and only their own driver brakes.

The locomotive behind the steam engine and tender is the UP4884 (another newish SD-70M). Behind that are the UP Steam Program machine shop cars and on-the-road living quarters made out of passenger cars.

Behind those were the 5 flat cars you saw used to help make everything run smoothly.

The Steam Program guys are riding on the Bigboy and will apply it's driver brakes, but only when everything stops. They are also feeling for any scary imbalances or unnatural sounds, just in case. They will also blow its eerie old whistle from time to time.

The man running the UP4884 has the automatics cut out but still has emergency capability and driver brakes to use when stopped. The man running the UP4884 uses power and dynamic normally but gently to operate the train and keep it running right at 25 mph the entire time. Needless to say the man on the UP4884 is a busy mofo.

That man was me.

We started our day by changing out the crew on the front locomotive, and my conductor and I changed crews with the rear locomotive. We were already located on the main line. We did so through a crowd of about 500 people.

Most of the moves of the Bigboy are done on the main line. Any absolutely unnecessary crossovers or switch moves as you could imagine, are all avoided.

Our first move was to re-spot the Bigboy so that they could hard grease the pins on the it that could not be reached during the second re-spot done by the previous crew. We did this by simply moving forward about 6 to 8 feet.

Once that was done we pulled up from the photo op/public appearance spot at the old depot to spot the whole thing on the fuel rack only 500 feet away. They topped off the diesels and we departed, leaving town and using the only crossover we made which was from #1 main to #2 main (CTC).

It made it right through the #20 crossover at 25 MPH without any problem. I had a momentary feeling of panic rise in me when I realized that if it derailed, there we were, staring into the dead rear lights of the massive tender, ahead of us 1 million pounds of steel that would stop pretty quickly.

Director of the whole move Ed Dickenson had told us earlier in the job briefing, "we have to keep it on the rails because there is not a hook big enough to lift this thing up". That in mind, I found it mildly humorous when various local managers questioned his decision to use a specific track to park in the yard because he had decided none of the others were suitable for the loading.

All along the way there were hundreds of cars and trucks mirroring our movement on a nearby highway. You could tell that they were made up of both long haul rail buffs and locals who were just following along the way. I saw many people in work and local company vehicles who's bosses were going to wonder what the hell they had done all day.

There were others, serious videophiles and photogs that would leapfrog us. Setting up and breaking down equipment to record us at the best spots for composition and conditions.

About half the day it rained mixed with sleet and snow. The Steam Program guys riding in the rickety old Bigboy were getting soaked and frozen. When we stopped at another flyspeck roadside burg there were about 300 people made partially of long haulers and and partially of townspeople.

The saddest part was that we are not allowed to use our phones to do anything while on a train anymore. When I pulled my little Nikon Coolpix L24 out of its bag, the display had received a fatal insult. I was able to get it to work, but with no composition, or ability to change settings.

When we stopped this time we didn't have to hard grease or re-spot. Just a basic refilling of some on-board flange oiling equipment hastily installed on the Bigboy.

After they made everyone back away from the train as best they could, and when everyone was in the clear and we were just sitting. I snapped the only pics I had any safe time to take.

When we finally arrived in Laramie, right at 8pm, it was bedlam. There were probably 1000 people on the 100 year old footbridge downtown alone. I feared it might collapse. As we spotted the bigboy in the "steam track" next to the ancient depot, people crowded the tracks themselves. They were not completely unruly, but the dispatcher had blocked traffic on all tracks to protect the public.

We got everything spotted and tied down. Just before we climbed into a van, one of the Steam Program guys took the only picture of me that they had time for.

In 45 minutes, the Bigboy is scheduled to arrive at its final destination in Cheyenne to much fanfare, but I am too tired to go see it, and I am scheduled to work again in a few hours and cannot afford to miss the trip.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

B4Ctom1 posted:

In 45 minutes, the Bigboy is scheduled to arrive at its final destination in Cheyenne to much fanfare, but I am too tired to go see it, and I am scheduled to work again in a few hours and cannot afford to miss the trip.

Was the move easier to do because they are holding all traffic in Nevada at night?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I wasn't in Nevada.

We got passed by trains on other tracks while tooling along (double mainline CTC, triple main CTC from Laramie to Cheyenne).

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Awesome story about moving the Big Boy.

In other news, sometimes in Kansas it's so windy that trains get blown right off the tracks.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/strong-win...campaign=buffer

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Used Sunlight sales posted:

In other news, sometimes in Kansas it's so windy that trains get blown right off the tracks.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/strong-win...campaign=buffer
We park trains all the time here during January and February and a little in March due to wind.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Awesome post about the Big Boy. I completely understand the reason to not want to run that thing through switches, it must tear poo poo up. Frogs take a beating anyway, I can't imagine what that engine would to to it, much less something simple as going around curves.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Yeah, you'd think there'd be a few inspections scheduled for the track after it's been through!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I would imagine (after moving the big boy) that's one of those days where you get home and feel pretty loving good about your life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I would imagine (after moving the big boy) that's one of those days where you get home and feel pretty loving good about your life.

Along with a massive unclenching and thanking your deity of choice that you're not going to go down in history as the guy who crashed the Big Boy.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Yes to both above posters.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Along with a massive unclenching and thanking your deity of choice that you're not going to go down in history as the guy who crashed the Big Boy.

After a day like that I'd say a tall glass of ale and a fine cigar would be in order.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I put it up with my memorable experiences from the first gulf war as far as historical significance.

My problem now is.. I have a lot of career years left. A lot of years of life. Can I top this?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

B4Ctom1 posted:

I put it up with my memorable experiences from the first gulf war as far as historical significance.

My problem now is.. I have a lot of career years left. A lot of years of life. Can I top this?

Getting into the steam program and driving it around is the obvious answer, here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrYenko posted:

Getting into the steam program and driving it around is the obvious answer, here.

Isn't it going to be about 5 years until the Big Boy's drivable? That sounds like plenty of time to get into the steam program to me.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

MrYenko posted:

You heard the man.

Choo Choo, motherfucker.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

How far is the big boy going to be able to run on its own, considering how many considerations have to be made for its weight? Will it basically only to be able to travel as far as the main line takes it from Cheyenne?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

B4Ctom1 posted:

The only way that you're going to be able to top this is by driving a humongous steam engine through Iraq in wartime. That said, if these huge steam engines thrash modern trackage so much, what was done in years past when locomotives like the Big Boy and the Allegheny were really prevalent? Did the railroads use super-heavy construction, track, and accessories? Did they do more maintenance? Any ideas?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The only way that you're going to be able to top this is by driving a humongous steam engine through Iraq in wartime.

I feel like that's the point at which this becomes relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcB43bQl5gI

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The only way that you're going to be able to top this is by driving a humongous steam engine through Iraq in wartime. That said, if these huge steam engines thrash modern trackage so much, what was done in years past when locomotives like the Big Boy and the Allegheny were really prevalent? Did the railroads use super-heavy construction, track, and accessories? Did they do more maintenance? Any ideas?

My guess is that they had a lot more section gangs way back in the day, and they were constantly working on the track. I'm talking section houses at drat near every station and siding. Today a section gang covers a much larger distance. My home section usually covers about 50 rail miles in each direction.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well the section houses were also because it was less mechanized back then as well. Hammers are much more inefficient then modern pneumatic spike drivers.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I grew up in that valley.

Surprised no one has posted about the Big Boy arriving at UP in Cheyenne this week for the start of its restoration to working order.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

I grew up in that valley.

Surprised no one has posted about the Big Boy arriving at UP in Cheyenne this week for the start of its restoration to working order.

Did you see the posts on this page about how B4Ctom1 was part of the crew that got it much of the way there?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

MiamiKid posted:

Did you see the posts on this page about how B4Ctom1 was part of the crew that got it much of the way there?

Sorry. I missed it.

edit: fuuuuuuck that is awesome.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 12, 2014

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Axeman Jim, I hate to drag up a post from a few months back but I saw this:

Axeman Jim posted:

I mean, who in their right mind wants to go to Hull anyway?

and I just want to tell you that ain't Hull! I don't care that you care more about trains than you do about random landmarks in lovely midland towns but this has sparked my :spergin: up something rotten and you are baring the brunt of it, Mr! :mad:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

MyFaceBeHi posted:

and I just want to tell you that ain't Hull! I don't care that you care more about trains than you do about random landmarks in lovely midland towns but this has sparked my :spergin: up something rotten and you are baring the brunt of it, Mr! :mad:

The answer is....

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
It sure is! The one thing it has going for it is that it isn't Walsall.

The sooner I earn enough to afford to rent the sooner I'm moving out of this depressing city! It's not so much that there is the square total of gently caress all here but the council seem to have so many wonderful plans but the most they got was a fancy bus station that only half the bus routes!

I think I moan too much about this place, I really do. :smith:

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Sorry. GIS let me down.

Hull of course looks like this:

Whereas Wolverhampton looks like this:

Apologies for any confusion.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

me as a kid... also now

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Axeman Jim posted:

Whereas Wolverhampton looks like this:

Apologies for any confusion.

No worries, although the old Low Level Station is now a lovely gastro pub and Lennier Inn. Everything else, though, is correct.

Also, the Carvers fire was probably the most interesting thing to happen to Wolverhampton that year, which says a lot.

Oh, there is also this thing which is conveniently built on top of the old line!

Edit: oh wait, one of your pictures shows it. Well it bares repeating anyway. Also it's sort of on topic because of where it's built on.

MyFaceBeHi fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 13, 2014

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
As a Dutch tourist, I can say I've been to Hull, because that's where the boat lands. The entire boat was quickly loaded onto buses and shipped out to York, where there is the excellent and free National Railway Museum. I think I've been there three times now :v:

The Mallard wasn't there the last time though. And all the while I had been trying to get my non-train nerd friends excited about this locomotive, having explained why it was so important etc.

I did see this other train about which I could share a few anecdotes:

I'm crap about telling train numbers and names, but I can tell you it's from a 1500V line near Manchester. That line eventually closed down, but since the Netherlands uses 1500V everywhere, and urgently needed some new locomotives, some of these were sold to the Dutch Railways. Six to actually drive in, and a seventh to take parts from to keep the others running: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Class_1500

One of these still survives and I saw it a few years later in the Manchester Science Museum.

Another train from the UK you'd see on Dutch tracks was this type of shunter:

A bunch of these came along with the British army after WW2, and the Dutch were so pleased with them, they ordered a slew of new ones. A handful are still in active service today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I would hope by now most of you would have seen or heard about this from the day 4014 arrived:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2626230/Look-Oblivious-train-spotters-distracted-vintage-locomotive-hit-slowest-near-miss-ever.html

direct link to video (loud train sounds and cursing warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwO-IWorGv4