Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kalli posted:

Browns WR Nate Burleson fractured his arm.

ahahah its true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kalli posted:

And my history professor laughed at me when I said Cleveland isn't allowed to have nice things

look at Cleveland now :colbert:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

This is me, right now:

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Kalli posted:

Hahaha

Browns get a good trade from the Bills with an extra first again for 2015, get (arguably) the top CB in the draft, still get "their franchise QB" (maybe) later in the first

Then Gordon is going up the river for a year

Then Burrelson, whom I just yesterday was speaking favorably of because he had a quiet, good season last year besides his dumbass pizza run injury, broke his arm again

Fun times in Cleveland tonight ITS CLEEEVEEELAND

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Browns trade back into 3rd Round to take a Towson RB.

I just... I don't know. Whatever.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
I wish I could say it was not expected.

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007
It's almost as if the front office believes that headlines means a good draft.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
He reminds me a lot of Alfred Morris, so it could be an ok pick.

I'm seriously beginning to think that Gordon might not actually be getting suspended, because this is really weird.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
allahu akbar

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

amaranthine posted:

He reminds me a lot of Alfred Morris, so it could be an ok pick.

I'm seriously beginning to think that Gordon might not actually be getting suspended, because this is really weird.

Then why the hell is the team sitting on it? Put out a press release immediately saying that it was a false positive, whatever.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
oops

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hockles posted:

Then why the hell is the team sitting on it? Put out a press release immediately saying that it was a false positive, whatever.

Pretty much. The only comments about it being inaccurate and him being innocent are coming from him and his agent, and that happens with actually every player who fails a drug test.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hockles posted:

I'd imagine the team is prevented from doing something like that by the league. That rule would make a lot more sense than not letting the coaches know that they're going to be missing a guy until the press fills them in.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Channel 3 Sports @WKYCSports
Farmer: I'm not concerned with my depth at wide receiver. At the time we made our selections, we took the best players available.

Farmer: I'm not concerned with the depth at WR because we don't play games until September. There's always time to acquire players.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm listening to the press conference. Opening statement from Farmer/Pettine: "We are not going to comment on anything about the conduct or health of our current players. We'd be happy to answer any questions about the draft"

First 3 questions were directly about Gordon's drug test. Each time Farmer repeated his statement, getting increasingly frustrated. Idiot media

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Farmer: I'm not concerned with my depth at wide receiver. At the time we made our selections, we took the best players available.

Farmer: I'm not concerned with the depth at WR because we don't play games until September. There's always time to acquire players.

Goddamn its like dangling a treat in front of your fans and just yanking it away

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Hockles posted:

Browns trade back into 3rd Round to take a Towson RB.

I just... I don't know. Whatever.

It made me sad so at least you have that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It made me sad so at least you have that.

I saw the Ozzie quote, he didn't seem to pleased with it either.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

FuzzySkinner posted:

I saw the Ozzie quote, he didn't seem to pleased with it either.

He's allowed to be upset. He's not allowed to subsequently draft the worst TE he can find because drafts are stupid and he doesn't want to play anymore.

Like the 49ers didn't have enough picks.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He's allowed to be upset. He's not allowed to subsequently draft the worst TE he can find because drafts are stupid and he doesn't want to play anymore.

Like the 49ers didn't have enough picks.

Don't look at me, I have no clue what they're doing at this point.

Baalke just keeps muttering "best value" into the microphone, over and over again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I guess there still is the possibility of a WR trade even this late in the process but I'm trying to think of who will be available. Maybe Cecil Shorts, now that Jacksonville has drafted Lee and Robinson? Mike Wallace and his insane contract, now that the Dolphins have drafted Landry? Harry Douglas? Lavon Brazill?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm reading up on this draft the Browns had but you know what, they were entertaining from every which end and that's something I can ask for and am happy with that. Ridiculous moves all over the place and I'm down. Trade down, fleece for a 1st, trade up then trade back into the 3rd...it's like we're getting into the Manziel spirit and trying to pull a rabbit out of the magic hat while addressing most needs.

1. That other guy opposite Haden CB

So in this guy we have a Punt Returner bonus, but I'd imagine we wouldn't use him for that to keep him healthy and let the Benjamins run wild all over First Energy Stadium. But he's going to be a Cornerback opposite Haden in what I assume is trying to emulate Seattle's defense. I'm fine with it in the sense that we needed a CB but would have preferred it not to be this high. If it were possible I'd have loved to have snagged Evans here as I think he'd be great addition to Gordon and Cameron while already being familiar with the eventual QB selection.

Grade: Skittles

1. Johnny loving Football (This had better be on his jersey and they'd better sell it) QB

Great pick at this spot. I'd rather not have moved down, then moved up, but whatever I suppose. If he doesn't die from taking a hit at the very least I hope we will be in for some entertainment, even in wondering if he's going to die and how he's going to escape from the predicaments he gets into. And that'll be good enough. I hope he'll pan out. Or at least be fun to watch combust as long as he doesn't get hurt. I'd love for him to be the dude who gives Cleveland a playoff berth or a superbowl. He'd be crowned king.

His girlfriend is supposed to be hot so that's a plus for Cleveland.

Grade: "You're good, but baby, I'm magic!"

2. Bitcoin OT

I actually like getting an O-Line guy, though I didn't initially think he's the right one. But reading up on him the scouting reports suggest he's actually under-rated, did well against very tough competition and so I'm warming up to him. Need to keep Manziel alive. If we have Joe Thomas and Alex Max and he pans out on the other side, this could be pretty awesome.

Grade: You wouldn't like him when he's angry

3A. Not Ray Lewis OLB

Yeah, not so optimistic. Reports seem to indicate he's a middling guy. Donte Moncrief was available here and we need a WR. Is he going to help Barkevious somehow?

Grade: Chalk Outline

3B. Running Back RB

This one I don't quite get since we have Ben Tate. I dunno though...we don't have a good Fullback but those dudes we don't draft high right?

Grade: Fluffer

Result: Maybe? First 3 picks were good, last two were kinda meh. I'd give it a B- unless we strike gold in the last couple picks but upgrade to a B for the fun.

Season: Don't look good with Gordon loving everyone over. Next year with our 2 firsts, hopefully if the rest of the team pans out, I'd like more offensive weapons in WRs. Let's hope. Optimistic overall...but its the Browns.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Gatts posted:

3A. Not Ray Lewis OLB

Yeah, not so optimistic. Reports seem to indicate he's a middling guy. Donte Moncrief was available here and we need a WR. Is he going to help Barkevious somehow?

Grade: Chalk Outline

3B. Running Back RB

This one I don't quite get since we have Ben Tate. I dunno though...we don't have a good Fullback but those dudes we don't draft high right?

Grade: Fluffer

Result: Maybe? First 3 picks were good, last two were kinda meh. I'd give it a B- unless we strike gold in the last couple picks but upgrade to a B for the fun.

Season: Don't look good with Gordon loving everyone over. Next year with our 2 firsts, hopefully if the rest of the team pans out, I'd like more offensive weapons in WRs. Let's hope. Optimistic overall...but its the Browns.

3a is being touted as a great coverage linebacker. We haven't had one in years and now we have two with him and Dansby. I expect him to play a lot in nickel packages as long as he is able to deliver on that skill set.

3b is a running back getting compared to Redskins RB Alfred Morris. He was a highly recruited player by Maryland and Clemson but couldn't qualify academically. It's important in today's NFL to have multiple running backs that can server multiple roles, especially with a RB like Tate who doesn't have a history of staying healthy.

Why pick a WR just to pick a WR though? If Farmer doesn't like any of the WRs in the draft he shouldn't just pick one to pick one, he should pick players that he thinks can play some football. I don't get all the hate on the Browns all of a sudden for not replacing Gordon. We had Gordon last year and won how many games? We need a better team overall. Great teams overcome problems like this, we need to build a great team. The Seahawks last year lost Browner and Harvin all season an they overcame and persevered.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://instagram.com/p/nzRh8xpvP8/

:unsmith:

He seems like a cool guy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I'm down now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Man, now I can't even pretend he would have been happier to go to Baltimore.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Man, now I can't even pretend he would have been happier to go to Baltimore.

Hope you don't like him too much, he a Brown now. Bad things are coming his way. Kinda sad really.

Satan: "Oh you've overcome all the odds? Ha Ha try beating this one junior."

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

His interview with the Fan was pretty awesome. He indeed sounds like a cool guy. Dude sold shoes for a while before walking onto Towson.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Nah man, he's a bum. All of his production was just that amazing Towson O-line <-(Thing actual human beings have said)

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

con posted:

3a is being touted as a great coverage linebacker. We haven't had one in years and now we have two with him and Dansby. I expect him to play a lot in nickel packages as long as he is able to deliver on that skill set.

3b is a running back getting compared to Redskins RB Alfred Morris. He was a highly recruited player by Maryland and Clemson but couldn't qualify academically. It's important in today's NFL to have multiple running backs that can server multiple roles, especially with a RB like Tate who doesn't have a history of staying healthy.

Why pick a WR just to pick a WR though? If Farmer doesn't like any of the WRs in the draft he shouldn't just pick one to pick one, he should pick players that he thinks can play some football. I don't get all the hate on the Browns all of a sudden for not replacing Gordon. We had Gordon last year and won how many games? We need a better team overall. Great teams overcome problems like this, we need to build a great team. The Seahawks last year lost Browner and Harvin all season an they overcame and persevered.

To be fair, betting on the Browns to match Seattle's ability to pluck UDFA receivers out of nowhere is probably very risky. However, I agree that 3a and 3b were good picks that fit positions of definite need - not receiver, but hardly luxury backup picks.

The draft in general has gone extremely well - every pick has matched a position of need with a good player at a reasonable price. It's just that the one position we haven't drafted has suddenly become a much bigger issue than anyone thought going in.

e: also I expect 3a (Kirksey) to take Robertson's spot by the time preseason starts - they're very similar players athletically, but Kirksey is better at every conceivable football skill. Better tackler, way better in coverage (dude apparently used to line up in slot coverage a la Dion Jordan, whom I loved so much last year), possibly faster, certainly not as dumb. Considering that we lost at least one game to running backs and backup tight ends (Detroit), I think he's a huge upgrade.

amaranthine fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 10, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hockles posted:

His interview with the Fan was pretty awesome. He indeed sounds like a cool guy. Dude sold shoes for a while before walking onto Towson.

Yeah, I hope he works out.

Also, Jason Pinkston tweeted this and Jordan Cameron retweeted this to fans.

Jason Pinkston @JasonPinkstonOL
Cleveland it's going to be all good trust us.

e: Link to the interview

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/05/09/terrance-west-says-its-been-a-long-journey-for-me-goals-not-accomplished-yet/

He sounds happy as hell. Love the "2 or 3 guys to bring me down" line. Always love Runningbacks like that.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 10, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kalli posted:

:(. Huskies don't do well in the nfl

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I hope Gordon isn't suspended. Yeah they're a division rival and yeah the fans are obnoxious but come on. It's too much.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
This quote from this article made me giggle:

quote:

Specifially, he said he tested positive for codeine, which was in his prescribed cough syrup. League insiders wondered if he had gotten caught up in the Purple Drank craze, a concoction that includes cough syrup and dissolved candy.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Eifert Posting posted:

I hope Gordon isn't suspended. Yeah they're a division rival and yeah the fans are obnoxious but come on. It's too much.

Is there any chance that he doesn't get suspended? Any at all? :ohdear:

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Flikken posted:

Is there any chance that he doesn't get suspended? Any at all? :ohdear:

I doubt it.

I'm kinda expecting Manziel to announce that he will be playing in the CFL this year and re-entering the draft next year.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

con posted:

Yeah, panic-drafting based on immediate need gets you Brandon Weeden. It's stupid as hell for people to hate the Browns for NOT panicking and making knee-jerk picks.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Still can't believe the browns knew about Gordon and didn't trade for Stevie Johnson .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bigass Moth posted:

Still can't believe the browns knew about Gordon and didn't trade for Stevie Johnson .

From what it sounds like by the time they could actually do anything about it it was probably to late.

Though this would be the first time Jimmy would have let ethics effect his decision making.

• Locked thread