Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Probably, if they don't win the beginning war, they probably just imploded.

They aren't that big a threat in the 1066, they are a much bigger threat in the OG start, but they don't show up for a century and a half.

It's also possible that another dynasty overthrew them or inherited e_persia from them, which puts another big dynastic name where the Seljuk blob used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How can I vassalize the Pope? I just formed the Empire of Italia and I thought I was gonna get a de jure claim on his lands, but I didn't.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

How can I vassalize the Pope? I just formed the Empire of Italia and I thought I was gonna get a de jure claim on his lands, but I didn't.

Create an antipope and press his claim on Rome. You'll need to be in Free Investiture to do it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

I thought taking Rome triggers crusades if you aren't their religion? Or does it not trigger if a heresy takes it?

Taking Rome is a great idea though, because I've never seen an unlanded Pope call a crusade.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, HIP is neat, but is there any way to remove the changes it makes to people's faces? Most I've seen are unchanged, Vandad and others in the east look far worse (besides Vandad's nose and mouth having migrated away from each other, Ya'qub Saffar's mouth is off-center), and anyone who's been blinded has a weird black thing covering the upper half of their faces. It's really annoying.

Also, it's rather frustrating how hard it is to change a province's religion; I can sort of understand why they'd do that but apparently heresies are much more common, as I've had two spring up, one of which is giving the province a +50% revolt chance, and I can't do a thing about it because the chances of my mobad accomplishing anything are <5%. Edit: And yet somehow he managed, in both heretic provinces. Wow. Not bad, man. Not bad at all.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 10, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
So I just got the anti christ event chain for the first time for my daughter, but I'm Orthodox and a Serene Doge. How do I take advantage of this?

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 10, 2014

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Hamburger Test posted:

So I just got the anti christ event chain for the first time for my daughter, but I'm Orthodox and a Serene Doge. How do I take advantage of this?

In no particular way you can take an advantage out of this. You get some fun events, but they're actually making your life harder instead of easier. The only good thing you get with the event are exceptionally good female commanders, who will join your court once they've heard of your child. Marry them, or have your demon child marry them (if it's a boy of course). You'll get some good genetics this way.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So is there any way other than playing as a liege and turning one of you vassals into a merchant republic to become a new one? I want to become one myself by myself. Perhaps revoking a mayoral seat and giving it to my heir as a duchy level vassal and becoming a merchant republic when he inherits?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Edit: Whoops, my bad.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

So is there any way other than playing as a liege and turning one of you vassals into a merchant republic to become a new one? I want to become one myself by myself. Perhaps revoking a mayoral seat and giving it to my heir as a duchy level vassal and becoming a merchant republic when he inherits?

This gets asked in the thread periodically. There is a neat little mod on the Steam Workshop that will do it, the only other way in-game is sometimes via Tanistry. Doing it this way will sometimes just make the game break, so the only way that is guaranteed to work 100% of the time is via the mod.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey uh, I don't suppose there's any way I could make my character Hellenic (I think it is?) to restore Italy's true faith in an otherwise legitimate ironman game - like via console or editing save files - then continuing on normally, is there?

I know I could just do it with the ruler designer and play a non-IM game, but...I don't want to give up the opportunity to obtain cheevs, dammit
:negative:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Is there a way to turn on notifications for courtier children needing education? I can't find that anywhere.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is there a good reference for how to play the Norse? I've only ever played the traditional European cultures and I feel a bit lost.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Playing as a vassal inside an empire is pretty fun. One of my favorite games was when I started as duke of Athens and worked my way up.

One thing though: when you get big as a vassal, you have to deal with your own internal politics, your own vassals. And then there is no map mode to help you with that. The direct vassals map mode will only show direct vassals from independent realms, which you are not.

When I was king of Greece inside the Bizantinne Empire, with quite a big realm (almost half of the empire), every civil war was a pain in the arse, everytime I had to click on provinces and titles to remember who is where, who is big etc.

That could be solved with a new map mode "YOUR direct vassals" that would work exactly like the direct vassals one but showing the player direct vassals. Seems probably easy to implement, and it would help a lot when playing a vassal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rincewind posted:

It's also possible that another dynasty overthrew them or inherited e_persia from them, which puts another big dynastic name where the Seljuk blob used to be.

I was more going off the fact that he doesn't seem to think they are really a threat.

Though yeah that does happen too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a good reference for how to play the Norse? I've only ever played the traditional European cultures and I feel a bit lost.

Use your spare time to raid England or the Mediterran, and conquer your neighbours/Ireland if they look at you funny/You feel like it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hey uh, I don't suppose there's any way I could make my character Hellenic (I think it is?) to restore Italy's true faith in an otherwise legitimate ironman game - like via console or editing save files - then continuing on normally, is there?

I know I could just do it with the ruler designer and play a non-IM game, but...I don't want to give up the opportunity to obtain cheevs, dammit
:negative:

Not in Ironman, no.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Aw, there's no special name for indian merchant republics.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well that's really annoying. Holy warring the Saffarids for Kerman, we both had armies a little over 6k. Mine had more troops, but he was defending in mountains. I managed to win, losing over 2000 while he lost over 5000, most of his army, and... I got no warscore for it. None. Didn't even show up as a battle in the war summary thing. Reloaded new year started just after the battle began) and tried again, same thing. I guess it might be because 250 of the troops (probably a retinue) are listed as "Kermian Army (Kerman)"; thus for some reason making them distinct from the rest of the Saffarid troops despite being an enemy and belonging to the guys I'm conquering just the same, which would thus probably be a pretty major bug. Dunno if it's an HIP one or a base game one, but it's really frustrating.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Well that's really annoying. Holy warring the Saffarids for Kerman, we both had armies a little over 6k. Mine had more troops, but he was defending in mountains. I managed to win, losing over 2000 while he lost over 5000, most of his army, and... I got no warscore for it. None. Didn't even show up as a battle in the war summary thing. Reloaded new year started just after the battle began) and tried again, same thing. I guess it might be because 250 of the troops (probably a retinue) are listed as "Kermian Army (Kerman)"; thus for some reason making them distinct from the rest of the Saffarid troops despite being an enemy and belonging to the guys I'm conquering just the same, which would thus probably be a pretty major bug. Dunno if it's an HIP one or a base game one, but it's really frustrating.

I had this happen to me too. Except it was 36000 troops. That was kind of annoying.

I think what causes it is that if the initial combat is with a third party (e.g. someone making a competing claim on the same territory), it won't count for warscore at all, even if your actual target joins in with a much larger army.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I had this happen to me too. Except it was 36000 troops. That was kind of annoying.

I think what causes it is that if the initial combat is with a third party (e.g. someone making a competing claim on the same territory), it won't count for warscore at all, even if your actual target joins in with a much larger army.

That is weird. Any way to get around it? I actually have a manual save from a month before the battle, so if there's a debug way to fix this (apparently you can move units with the debug tool; given that the offending unit is only 250 troops I doubt it'll make a huge difference on the outcome of the battle, but I don't know how to figure out unit/province IDs to do this) it'd be great.

Edit: Just loaded up the pre-battle save as the owner of the retinue, then disbanded it and saved again. Had to do it twice, once the day before the battle started, because the guy remade the retinue. Battle was worth a huge amount of warscore when not bugged, so definitely worth the trouble of getting around that.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 10, 2014

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

So I got a claim for the Duchy Latium which was pretty cool since I could storm it without incurring a holy war, and the Pope never has allies.

Except of course you only conquer the duchy while leaving the original holders in all the holdings that the Pope didn't directly control. And since the papacy is a kingdom even if it doesn't physically exists, they are still his vassals. Okay whatever, I'll just become truce breaker and quickly finish the conquest... Except since the pope technically has no land I can't declare war on him (or his vassals because they are vassals).

How do I solve this?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BioMe posted:

So I got a claim for the Duchy Latium which was pretty cool since I could storm it without incurring a holy war, and the Pope never has allies.

Except of course you only conquer the duchy while leaving the original holders in all the holdings that the Pope didn't directly control. And since the papacy is a kingdom even if it doesn't physically exists, they are still his vassals. Okay whatever, I'll just become truce breaker and quickly finish the conquest... Except since the pope technically has no land I can't declare war on him (or his vassals because they are vassals).

How do I solve this?

By cheating. That's a bug.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm having trouble destroying a Kingdom. I'm an Emperor and I control 4 kingdoms: Italy, Sicily, Bavaria, and Croatia. The first 3 are elective, Croatia is gavelkind (I haven't reigned long enough to change it yet). I want to destroy Bavaria, but when I mouse over it, the "Succession is not Gavelkind" requirement is Xed out and I can't click the button. Why is this, since Bavaria has elective succession? Is it because my other Kingdom, Croatia, is gavelkind? Interestingly, I have the same problem with Sicily, but everything is working fine for Italy and I could destroy it if I wanted to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

I'm having trouble destroying a Kingdom. I'm an Emperor and I control 4 kingdoms: Italy, Sicily, Bavaria, and Croatia. The first 3 are elective, Croatia is gavelkind (I haven't reigned long enough to change it yet). I want to destroy Bavaria, but when I mouse over it, the "Succession is not Gavelkind" requirement is Xed out and I can't click the button. Why is this, since Bavaria has elective succession? Is it because my other Kingdom, Croatia, is gavelkind? Interestingly, I have the same problem with Sicily, but everything is working fine for Italy and I could destroy it if I wanted to.

You cannot destroy titles if one of them has gavelkind succession. This is to stop you from cheating the system. I assume you are emperor of Italy? That would explain why you can destroy the kingdom of Italy, which is unusual.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Alright, how do you transfer vassals with the console?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Torrannor posted:

You cannot destroy titles if one of them has gavelkind succession. This is to stop you from cheating the system. I assume you are emperor of Italy? That would explain why you can destroy the kingdom of Italy, which is unusual.

Okay, that makes sense. One more issue here - I want to change Croatia to elective succession, but it's saying I need to reign for 10 years first. I've been King of Croatia for over 10 years, but Emperor of Italia for under 10 years. I guess my Emperor title is the one they're dating it from here?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

Okay, that makes sense. One more issue here - I want to change Croatia to elective succession, but it's saying I need to reign for 10 years first. I've been King of Croatia for over 10 years, but Emperor of Italia for under 10 years. I guess my Emperor title is the one they're dating it from here?

That's true.

BioMe posted:

Alright, how do you transfer vassals with the console?

You generally don't either give you the titles directly, or give them to the Pope so he is landed and you can declare for the counties. Use "give_title c_roma [char-ID of you or the Pope]" etc.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

That's true.

You generally don't either give you the titles directly, or give them to the Pope so he is landed and you can declare for the counties. Use "give_title c_roma [char-ID of you or the Pope]" etc.

Ah, the c_roma instead of c_rome was why I was having trouble, thanks.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 10, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Crap, I ran into this too in my Byzantine ironman save, which means I won't even be able to cheat it off. I guess that game is on hold until they patch that bug.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Crap, I ran into this too in my Byzantine ironman save, which means I won't even be able to cheat it off. I guess that game is on hold until they patch that bug.

Would the Pope get one of the remaining church holdings once a bishop in the Papacy dies?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Is there a way to turn off the water and other map effects? Trying to wring the best performance I can...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Some things:

The Pope usually becomes landed elsewhere after Rome falls. This remains true for at least as long as there are Catholic Bishops anywhere. These popes-in-exile can absolutely call Crusades. I had one guy in a lowly holding next door to my massive Norse Brittanian Empire call several on me, and then before he could get any allies, I marched my retinue across the border and seiged down his temple.

The Pope can ABSOLUTELY have allies. With investiture, it's entirely possible the Pope has brothers and sisters elsewhere. Hell, the pope might have kids, elsewhere. Even if you get a lowborn Pope, he can still have bastards, which are still able to be married.

As for this bug, Iunno. That's weird. I have no idea. Clicking on the vassal-bishop's face and looking at the Pope's screen shows him with literally no holdings? That is beyond strange.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way I can prod the Pope to call a Crusade if he is my vassal, or is it completely random?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Some things:

The Pope usually becomes landed elsewhere after Rome falls. This remains true for at least as long as there are Catholic Bishops anywhere. These popes-in-exile can absolutely call Crusades. I had one guy in a lowly holding next door to my massive Norse Brittanian Empire call several on me, and then before he could get any allies, I marched my retinue across the border and seiged down his temple.

The Pope can ABSOLUTELY have allies. With investiture, it's entirely possible the Pope has brothers and sisters elsewhere. Hell, the pope might have kids, elsewhere. Even if you get a lowborn Pope, he can still have bastards, which are still able to be married.

As for this bug, Iunno. That's weird. I have no idea. Clicking on the vassal-bishop's face and looking at the Pope's screen shows him with literally no holdings? That is beyond strange.

It's possible for the Pope to have to have allies but since dynasties seem to have no pull in the election and they can't get alliances through their children, it seems to be far more common for the Papacy to have no actual allies at all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My current ruler has a strong claim on the kingdom of Egypt.

Yet, when I try to declare war on then, it says I have no CB. Is this a bug are there is something Im not understanding here? They are miaphysite and Im orthodox, if that makes any difference.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Pester posted:

Related to that, if you don't want to use the ruler designer, what's a good basque culture start if you want to play absolute cognatic? And does that allow more female counsel members like cathar does, too?

There's (AFAIK) only ever one Basque start per bookmark, the King of Navarra (or his vassals). And it's actually kinda useless that they have absolute cognatic, in a way, since (if you're playing from the 1066 bookmark) you start off with ag-cog and the ability to switch to elective, meaning you can appoint whoever you want anyway.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

There's (AFAIK) only ever one Basque start per bookmark, the King of Navarra (or his vassals). And it's actually kinda useless that they have absolute cognatic, in a way, since (if you're playing from the 1066 bookmark) you start off with ag-cog and the ability to switch to elective, meaning you can appoint whoever you want anyway.

Absolute cognatic let's you hand out landed titles to women too, which is sometimes useful.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any way I can prod the Pope to call a Crusade if he is my vassal, or is it completely random?

If he doesn't declare one the minute it comes off cooldown, yeah, you can ask him. I *think* you go to the target you want to declare it on and there should be a Request Crusade diplo action, but can't remember for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

I'd like to know that too. Except for the high priest of Zoroaster because once I reform the priesthood he tends to call holy wars randomly and my empires so massive that when the priest calls my vassals into the war I win and end up with vassals owning random kingdoms all over the place. I'd rather choose where the crusade takes place than have my realm completely ignore the middle east and march for Greece instead.

• Locked thread