Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just got back from seeing this and genuinely enjoyed it, even if the film did seem packed with a few too many sub-plots.

Two disappointments though:
1. No "Bro? Bro!" from Giamatti when he was driving the truck.
2. No blue penis when Electro first re-formed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What purpose (other than an added danger to thrust at the audience) did the two planes about to hit each other serve to the story? I missed the lead up to that so I wasn't sure.

Part of me thought maybe it was from an unused draft of the film where they weren't sure if they wanted to kill Gwen or not or wanted her out of the films for a while or not, so they would have gotten her on one of the planes where she'd still have a potential life or death moment

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

What purpose (other than an added danger to thrust at the audience) did the two planes about to hit each other serve to the story? I missed the lead up to that so I wasn't sure.

I'm sure there's some sort of cinematic term for it, but it's pretty much a way of taking a generalized danger/threat and giving it a personal spin so that the audience has a face (or faces) to put to the danger.

All the power is out everywhere is a generalized danger and threat. But because of the power being out everwhere, two plans are about to hit each other. We get to see the parties involved, and even if we don't know them for long, we get a personal spin on the threat.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of get that, but it just felt like a really strange thing to shove in there like they did. It seems like the Aunt May stuff in the hospital could have been increased a little more for that purpose.

It just seemed like it was almost sort of overkill or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I'm sure there's some sort of cinematic term for it, but it's pretty much a way of taking a generalized danger/threat and giving it a personal spin so that the audience has a face (or faces) to put to the danger.

All the power is out everywhere is a generalized danger and threat. But because of the power being out everwhere, two plans are about to hit each other. We get to see the parties involved, and even if we don't know them for long, we get a personal spin on the threat.

This. There are two sorts of drama you can have in movies; subjective and objective. Subjective is what happens during the Goblin fight, when Gwen's life is at danger. It is drama that is specific to the characters involved. Then there's objective drama, which is drama that everyone in the theater can relate too. This is what's happening during the Electro fight. Not everyone can put themselves into the shoes of someone who's having his girlfriend attacked by a goblin man, but they can easily put themselves into the position of one of the civilians during the Electro attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plane stuff was added in by an executive who wanted the stakes to be higher, as that's a thing movie executives always want. "What if instead of just his life at risk it's his families lives? What if instead of his families lives it's his whole neighborhoods lives? What if instead of that it's the entire world?"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
At least the nameless civilians in danger felt like a natural part of the events of the film. The planes hitting one another felt almost detached from the movie, like it didn't belong. I don't even know if I were reading this movie as a comic book if I could picture that showing up in panels and not have it feel out of place.

The movie was a brisk at, what, about 2:20, but I seriously think the film needed some trimming. The corkboard stuff, the Roosevelt thing, the airplane, even the sort of long Parker Parents death bit felt felt like it could have been trimmed or cut or redone to shave off about 5-10 minutes of the film. I know that's not really a whole lot, but they just really didn't work for me and by about the time of the traffic jam scene I was starting to wonder when the movie was finally going to start wrapping up.

I almost feels like at some point they had a more streamlined movie in here and then they kept adding and adding stuff. Maybe it's also because as it was in development Garfield and Stone have gotten more and more popular both individually and as a couple and they maybe cut out stuff with Harry and others to fit in more of the two leads? It does sort of feel like there's a hole in the Osborn/OsCorp part of the storyline that will likely have a slew of deleted scenes on the DVD to fill in. Of course, maybe I'm so used to Harry feeling like he's more present throughout the whole of the Raimi films.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of get that, but it just felt like a really strange thing to shove in there like they did. It seems like the Aunt May stuff in the hospital could have been increased a little more for that purpose.

It just seemed like it was almost sort of overkill or something.

It was lovely loving writing is what it was. God the script was loving awful.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

JediTalentAgent posted:

Part of me thought maybe it was from an unused draft of the film where they weren't sure if they wanted to kill Gwen or not or wanted her out of the films for a while or not, so they would have gotten her on one of the planes where she'd still have a potential life or death moment
There's clocks/time running out/countdown stuff all over the movie, the planes are a way to physically embody that theme. It's not done super well, but it didn't feel pointless. The film also opens with one Parker failing to stop a disaster on an airplane and dying and ends with his son saving two planes. Peter's twice the man his dad is, but would have failed completely if not for Gwen.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

TheJoker138 posted:

This. There are two sorts of drama you can have in movies; subjective and objective. Subjective is what happens during the Goblin fight, when Gwen's life is at danger. It is drama that is specific to the characters involved. Then there's objective drama, which is drama that everyone in the theater can relate too. This is what's happening during the Electro fight. Not everyone can put themselves into the shoes of someone who's having his girlfriend attacked by a goblin man, but they can easily put themselves into the position of one of the civilians during the Electro attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plane stuff was added in by an executive who wanted the stakes to be higher, as that's a thing movie executives always want. "What if instead of just his life at risk it's his families lives? What if instead of his families lives it's his whole neighborhoods lives? What if instead of that it's the entire world?"
Well, I think it was also used to convey the immediately physical danger of having Electro steal the power. Cities have blackouts from time to time without anyone really being hurt - apart from minor fender benders if the street lights go out, people stubbing their toes in the dark, etc. I think blackout, I go, "Aw poo poo, I have to stumble around for a flashlight and remember to reset my clock." Electro going "I have all the electricity! I WILL BE THEIR GOD!" seemed a very old-school villain plot, so the plane scene was to up the larger-scale stakes of Electro's power beyond mere inconvenience. Yes, he can fry ENORMOUS HOLES IN PEOPLE'S CHESTS HOLY poo poo when he's in proximity, but we needed to see how he could endanger a larger group of people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also in a way where turning the power back on would immediately and directly save lives. Usually the big trouble with blackouts is long-term and revolves around the elderly or sick. Without completely glossing over the fact hospitals and the like have backup power, they needed something that would be imminently fatal without power and could be fixed instantly as soon as power came back on.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It was lovely loving writing is what it was. God the script was loving awful.

"We did it, everybody!" said Aunt May as nobody was listening.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Didn't you know? I'm Electro!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

DStecks posted:

Didn't you know? I'm Electro!

Genuinely funny line/scene.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I rewatched this movie and love the final melody - the one where the spider logo appears on screen before the credits. I was thinking how fitting it would have been for a Superman movie. Why did Zimmer compose such a dreary melody for Man of Steel when he could do something like this for Spider-Man?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I rewatched this movie and love the final melody - the one where the spider logo appears on screen before the credits. I was thinking how fitting it would have been for a Superman movie. Why did Zimmer compose such a dreary melody for Man of Steel when he could do something like this for Spider-Man?

Most stuff that is credited to "Zimmer &..." is mostly composed by the person after the ampersand. I thought that was common knowledge about how he worked.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I'm puzzled. For years, people have been clamoring for a superhero movie where the hero takes out a minor baddie as an aside to the main villain(s). This movie does exactly that, and people are up in arms about how Rhino was useless to the plot.

User-Friendly fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 10, 2014

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

User-Friendly posted:

I'm puzzled. For years, people have been clamoring for a superhero movie where the hero takes out a minor baddie as an aside to the main villain(s). This movie does exactly that, and people are up in arms about how Rhino was useless to the plot.

My complaint is just that it wasn't the actual first scene - we had to deal with the redundant, ugly bullshit with the Parker parents for 10 minutes leading up to that.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
There was a distinct lack of Paul Giamatti in this film.

I was promised the Rhino, and I only get for a few minutes at the hand

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It probably doesn't help that The Winter Soldier just came out and showed how the whole minor-baddie-in-the-first-reel thing is done.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Incidentally I just saw a .gif of Gwen's death and I was wrong, she eats the concrete hard. Even without sound I cringed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

User-Friendly posted:

That probably has more to do with the marketing and the early press releases implying that he was integral to the plot. The closing scene was a focal point of the trailer and all the early buzz was about him and Spidey fighting. Also the actual Rhino suit/tank was atrocious and was part and parcel of the idiotic Family Terror Attack Spectating Day ending.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It probably doesn't help that The Winter Soldier just came out and showed how the whole minor-baddie-in-the-first-reel thing is done.

Yeah, The Winter Soldier as a whole was a significantly tighter film. It's better paced, has a solid plot, and character arcs and motives are properly developed. This movie just felt all over the place. It honestly felt like it was written as a series of character vignettes first, and then they were all strung together half-assedly to make it appear as if there were a plot connecting them all.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I honestly thought everyone knew that Rhino was just an opening/ending appearance going in. I swear it was discussed in the marketing somewhere because there was exactly as much Rhino as I expected.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I figured Giamatti and the truck scene was going to be super early but I didn't know when Rhino was going to show up. But around 2/3rds of the way into the movie I was distracting myself wondering how they were to going to fit him in. Then once he showed up I knew what the last shot was going to be based on the trailers and figured we weren't going to get a real fight because that would have been ridiculous at that point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

How funny is it that Captain America is now outgrossing Superman and Spiderman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is why I think it's funny in one of the other comic movie threads where they're discussing how well Guardians will do based on it being a "space opera". Hey, maybe it just depends on the quality of the movie instead?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

This is why I think it's funny in one of the other comic movie threads where they're discussing how well Guardians will do based on it being a "space opera". Hey, maybe it just depends on the quality of the movie instead?

Yep. If it gets the same kind of word of mouth, it would probably shock people how well it does.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Buster Keaton Cops homage was hilarious.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Incidentally, it looks like Neighbors is going to crush ASM2 this weekend: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3840&p=.htm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

Incidentally, it looks like Neighbors is going to crush ASM2 this weekend: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3840&p=.htm

Just in time for the first big comedy of the year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey the Electro Suite is bad loving rear end.

Well I've said my piece.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

VJeff posted:

Hey the Electro Suite is bad; loving rear end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Yeah, The Winter Soldier as a whole was a significantly tighter film. It's better paced, has a solid plot, and character arcs and motives are properly developed. This movie just felt all over the place. It honestly felt like it was written as a series of character vignettes first, and then they were all strung together half-assedly to make it appear as if there were a plot connecting them all.

One of the tips used to help you write is to write every moment on an index card and put them together. I think Orci and Kurtzman only wrote down just the action beats. Because it seemed like every moment was a lead up to that. "Oh hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." and then somehow wrote 200 pages like that.

But I can only speculate. I was not there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CelticPredator posted:

One of the tips used to help you write is to write every moment on an index card and put them together. I think Orci and Kurtzman only wrote down just the action beats. Because it seemed like every moment was a lead up to that. "Oh hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." and then somehow wrote 200 pages like that.

But I can only speculate. I was not there.

To be fair, we don't have the screenplay. Who knows how much the director, editor, other writers, studio, and focus group audience changed the story along the way.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lobok posted:

To be fair, we don't have the screenplay. Who knows how much the director, editor, other writers, studio, and focus group audience changed the story along the way.

Well anything those guys have written has the same issues, so I'm going to complain about them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also, the editing wasn't very good either. A lot seemed to be cut out of it, and replaced with more action, yet still ended up with a 2 hour and 20 minute running time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Well anything those guys have written has the same issues, so I'm going to complain about them.

Yeah but the first movie didn't have either of them writing and there were similar problems.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Lobok posted:

Yeah but the first movie didn't have either of them writing and there were similar problems.

Orci ad Kurtzman amplified the problems. Not that'd I'd expect any less from the people who wrote Transfomers: Revenge of the Fallen

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

To be fair, no one really "wrote" Transformers 2. Bay locked them all in a hotel room for 2 weeks before the writers strike, and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Everything involving Peter's parents felt like holdovers from the first film. Non of it fit within the narrative of the movie and ultimately it leads us no where. I'm still not sure why the Parkers felt it was so important to send that video to an abandoned underground lab where no one would ever find it.

• Locked thread