Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
RW dictate of the twin gods is 3-0 and there's a bunch of Junk midrange at SCG today :getin:

I love new set time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Stinky Pit posted:

He's not imposing stricter requirements, observation at Comp. REL is pretty standard. It's the process every single Judge I know went through.

The minimum requirements don't include observation at Comp. REL specifically for situations like this, its not always possible and so its not a requirement so we can allow some flexibility in the way L1 judges are certified but that his local L2 asked him to go through the same process that most Judges go through is hardly imposing stricter requirements.

That's what I'd gathered too, I know it's not a requirement. On the bright side, it looks like Grand Prix Trial stuff isn't fixed in stone, so I may be able to work something out with my local store, or at least they can help me with that, GP Utrecht Trials start in a week from now.

I'd rather not involve the L3 guy anyway, because I have never spoken to him, he lives on the other side of the country, and mostly because there's no need to "escalate" stuff. It's not like the L2 is being a dick or anything, but he's never seen me in person, I can understand his thing.

Just voicing my own 'frustrations' I suppose. And extra frustrations because of them sweet promos.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does any competitive magic get played in super Standard? I thought I remembered no GPTs in it. Might look at moving my Muravaults by then.

Well, PT Magic 2015 is certainly competitive, if not something that will move your Mutavaults. :shobon:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What a Judas posted:

I guess I misunderstood the requirements.

They are minimum requirements but minimum is just that, the bare minimum. Minimum requirements are low so we can be inclusive but that doesn't meant we want to have low standards.

The ideal "Pathway" to L1 or whatever is something like this;

Get involved in FNM/Game Day/Whatever. You don't need to even pass a rules adviser test to start working tournaments with other Judges, or even just your T.0.

Find a "mentor" an experienced Judge you can work with to help learn more and develop.

Learn your CR and IPG Stuff

Take the test.

Most Judges don't go through that though, that's an ideal, a goal, what people hope it will look like when a healthy and sizable Judge community involves new members. But were never going to get to that point if all we ever do is the bare minimum.

These days its pretty standard to meet a few requirements before many L2's will administer the test.

Have successful "Practice Tests" in the Judge Center
Participate in a Comp. REL event so the L2 can observe.

They aren't set in stone, and if those are difficult to meet for whatever reasons RC's are quick to help find alternatives (the most common for example would be tests administered at GPs) but having standards above the minimum requirements are good for judges, and good for the community ultimately as better judges should mean better events.

Serperoth posted:

Just voicing my own 'frustrations' I suppose. And extra frustrations because of them sweet promos.

Its understandable, you're in a difficult position. When I started my state has only 2 L1's if it wasn't for a local store owner paying for the transport and lodging for L2's and L3's multiple years in a row our Judge community would have never gotten off the ground. Be patient and once you get your L1 keep communicating with your L2, that way eight months from now when you say "hey I think this guy here who has helped me a few times is probably ready for his L1 test" that guy will have an easier time.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 10, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Can you be a judge and still play at local stuff like FNM's? Or do you have to choose to either play or act as judge?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Boco_T posted:

Dictate of the Twin Gods at the end of your turn into Spark Trooper, pretty great. I love Magic.

Does this interact the way that it "should"? I feel like I have memories of ball lightning and furnath of rath interacting in a super unintuitive way back in the day. Like, elf jumps in front of the ball, it assigns 12 damage from the furnace, then 11 gets reassigned to the player and doubled again for instant lethal.

Or am I just insane?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Can you be a judge and still play at local stuff like FNM's? Or do you have to choose to either play or act as judge?

You can play and Judge at Regular REL. So FNM, Game Days, Pre-Releases, and whatever your LGS might sanction themselves. You cannot for events run at Comp. REL, so SCG Opens, GPT's, PTQ's and so on.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Boxman posted:

Or am I just insane?

That sounds completely insane. It would eventually assign 2 to the elf and 10 to the player, right?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Kasonic posted:

That sounds completely insane. It would eventually assign 2 to the elf and 10 to the player, right?

It wouldn't double until after it's assigned.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Loving Life Partner posted:

It wouldn't double until after it's assigned.

Right, it assigns one to the Elf, five to the player, and those numbers are doubled when the damage would be dealt.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What a Judas posted:

Right, it assigns one to the Elf, five to the player, and those numbers are doubled when the damage would be dealt.

Okay, that makes more sense. I thought I remembered damage being assigned to the blocked then reassigned to the player in pre-sixth edition rules, but misremembering something from my childhood is far more likely.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Help, did anyone ever figure out what happens if you double Oblivion Ring's ETB with Strionic Resonator? All of my google search results have either turned up people arguing over whether the ETB/LTB effects are linked, or incomprehensible jargon. I would assume that you get to exile one permanent for the first time, and when Oblivion Ring leaves they get it back, but the second one is exiled forever.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Stinky Pit posted:

Its understandable, you're in a difficult position. When I started my state has only 2 L1's if it wasn't for a local store owner paying for the transport and lodging for L2's and L3's multiple years in a row our Judge community would have never gotten off the ground. Be patient and once you get your L1 keep communicating with your L2, that way eight months from now when you say "hey I think this guy here who has helped me a few times is probably ready for his L1 test" that guy will have an easier time.

Yeah the community is a big part of why I'm in this whole thing. I love Magic, talking about it, all that, and I really wanna help newer folks. The promos/travel/lodging/money/etc is just icing on the cake in a sense. I don't think there's a great many people who go through all that effort just for the goodies to be honest, although I can see how people who are on the fence about it could be swayed by a well-placed Sword. :v:

Stinky Pit posted:

You can play and Judge at Regular REL. So FNM, Game Days, Pre-Releases, and whatever your LGS might sanction themselves. You cannot for events run at Comp. REL, so SCG Opens, GPT's, PTQ's and so on.

To add to this, unless I'm mistaken, you can play events above Regular REL, just not judge at the same event (for obvious reasons). So it's not like as soon as you become a Judge you can't play at Competitive/Professional.

MaRo's Tumblr posted:

Journey Into Nyx *just* came out. We’re announcing Huey in a week. Patience, people. : )

I can't wait.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Niton posted:

Speaking of judges, apparently there was an oracle change, effective immediately related to how Arbiter of Ideals and similar cards work with Constellation. Before yesterday, cards which said "that permanent is" didn't actually trigger ETB effects for the type that they added to cards, but now they do!

Also, Brian Kibler doesn't like MODO beta. He's not wrong, but :lol: at him comparing Solforge's dev time to MODO's.

He's wrong that you can't use the shell of an existing deck to build a new one. You just right click on the deck and put "open a new copy of this deck."

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Serperoth posted:

I don't think there's a great many people who go through all that effort just for the goodies to be honest, although I can see how people who are on the fence about it could be swayed by a well-placed Sword. :v:

One of the downsides to the relatively recent decrease in the requirements for L1's is that there are a few people out there with zero interest in helping the community.

Every Judge conference I go to there are a more and more assholes sitting around talking to their friends, paying zero attention, and not participating, but its a small price to pay for the great growth and improvement the Judge community has had over the past 5 years.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Mid ptq news bulletin: I met the store employee who took the shot of the new ftv. The photo is real, which makes me 99% sure the card list won't change at this point and is accurate. Buy/sell appropriately.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Two Tylers playing a mirror.

Hah.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Mid ptq news bulletin: I met the store employee who took the shot of the new ftv. The photo is real, which makes me 99% sure the card list won't change at this point and is accurate. Buy/sell appropriately.

Hint: It's real bad, don't pay a penny over MSRP

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

FTV: Not Damnation Edition makes me mighty sad, yeah.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Watching mono-blue devotion get smashed never gets old. Die archetype die.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What is it that people hate so much about mono-U devotion, as opposed to any other commonly seen deck?

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

JerryLee posted:

What is it that people hate so much about mono-U devotion, as opposed to any other commonly seen deck?

The mechanics it uses just piss me off. gently caress those tokens with gusto :argh:

e: "OHAY let me evolve my cloudfin raptor 57 times and poo poo out a board full of tokens!"

morning wood fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 10, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

It's blue and wins a lot. This differs great from mono black devotion because that deck is black!

I don't know why people hate one of the devotion decks and not the other, but I'm patiently waiting for people to get sick of B/G Nighthowler decks.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Think of all the past set releases and rotations where people were like "you guys... the pieces are all here... is this the year that mono-black control makes a comeback??"

Now think of all the times people have looked at spoilers and been like "gently caress yes! finally a chance for the blue decks"

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

mcnealys baby posted:

Was just at bar bingo in Austin, Texas. The announcer handed me the deck of cards to shuffle for the next round, and I side shuffled them instead of bridge shuffling. He immediately says, "Are you a Magic player? Because you don't shuffle like a normal person"

Where is bar bingo? I have been to Ginny's (Chicken poo poo Bingo) which was pretty neat as the guy who won (he won ~100$) used his winnings to buy a round (Lonestar for everyone!)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Just saw the flashed Dictate + Spark Trooper for the win on camera, god drat.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Attorney at Funk posted:

Think of all the past set releases and rotations where people were like "you guys... the pieces are all here... is this the year that mono-black control makes a comeback??"

Now think of all the times people have looked at spoilers and been like "gently caress yes! finally a chance for the blue decks"

That's kind of silly though because there have been a lot of good black decks for years, in fact last season Jund was dominant. I guess that doesn't count though? Acting like any color has been bad or unplayable lately is just a ridiculous narrative.

edit: Unless it only counts if a mono colored deck is good in which case I guess white has been terrible for years :v:

second edit: Brian Kibler's opponent is terrified of a Path that he doesn't have in hand.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 10, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

rabidsquid posted:

That's kind of silly though because there have been a lot of good black decks for years, in fact last season Jund was dominant. I guess that doesn't count though? Acting like any color has been bad or unplayable lately is just a ridiculous narrative.

edit: Unless it only counts if a mono colored deck is good in which case I guess white has been terrible for years :v:

It's specifically the idea of the monoblack control deck, I think.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Banefire is a good way to make playing eggs-like decks not completely insufferable, I guess. Thanks, Conley!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Alert to everyone obsessed with Eggs for whatever reason, Conley Woods is playing a KCI-Banefire deck which is basically the closest you're ever getting again.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Loving Life Partner posted:

Just saw the flashed Dictate + Spark Trooper for the win on camera, god drat.

The look of "I will never shave this loving beard!". Going to check this out.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So here's some rules questions for you guys:

Opponent animates his Mutavault and swings in, I cast Triton Tactics on my Artisan of Forms turning it into Mutavault, untapping it and blocking HIS Mutavault.

Two questions:

Does my Artisan of Forms become a Land that can be turned into a creature and has the Heroic ability?

Does my opponent's Mutavault not untap during his next untap phase?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 10, 2014

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

BizarroAzrael posted:

The look of "I will never shave this loving beard!". Going to check this out.

What is Chris' vow again? He won't shave until he top 8s, or until he gets 1st outright?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fish Of Doom posted:

What is Chris' vow again? He won't shave until he top 8s, or until he gets 1st outright?

I think it's that he won't shave until he wins an open.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Count Bleck posted:

So here's some rules questions for you guys:

Opponent animates his Mutavault and swings in, I cast Triton Tactics on my Artisan of Forms turning it into Mutavault, untapping it and blocking HIS Mutavault.

Two questions:

Does my Artisan of Forms become a Land that can be turned into a creature and has the Heroic ability?

Does my opponent's Mutavault not untap during his next untap phase?

You aren't going to like this, but your Artisan becomes an unanimated Mutavault, so you will have to animate it before the Tactics resolves. The rest is accurate as far as I'm aware.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What a Judas posted:

You aren't going to like this, but your Artisan becomes an unanimated Mutavault, so you will have to animate it before the Tactics resolves. The rest is accurate as far as I'm aware.

That's actually pretty neat.

So I could just cast whatever after I block and then save my Artisan by making it no longer a creature but instead a Mutavault with Heroic: Become another Thing.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
How in the hell did burn just win that game?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So I 4-0(-1)'d my (32ish person, fair amount of competitiveness) FNM last night and split for first. With RB Minotaurs :stare:

Everyone was confused and amused. I managed to luck out and never had to play a deck with UW in it. My matches:
RW Burn 2-0 (An intense knifefight of a match. Most of my creatures have 3 toughness and synergize with each other, meaning burn meant for my head has to go to them, and I have a surplus of removal for their scarce utility creatures)

Jund Monsters 2-1 (Went off too fast one game, they got a bad set of draws the next game. Shoutouts to my singleton Slaughter Games for eating 4 Stormbreaths in the game I lost, and for grabbing all his sideboard Anger of the Gods in another game)

MBC 2-0 (In hindsight for my opponent, him keeping a triple thoughtseize hand wasn't the best of ideas, but I usually have amusingly good matchups against MBC. I can eat Rats with my bulls and mortars, I can dreadbore and deathtouch my way through Demon, and Whip/Slaughter games post-board deals with Gary From Accounting)

Black Aggro 2-0 (Highlight of the match: I had a Ragemonger and another Minotaur on the board, so 4 power represented. Opponent has a Master of the Feast out, puts a Spiteful Returned on it, hits me for 9. Life is now 14-4 or so in my opponent's favor. I draw, play my fifth land, set down a Kragma Warcaller and another minotaur and suddenly my 4 damage is 16 hasted.)

I then took my store credit winnings and bought Space Alert, so it was a good night. Bonus: Someone came up to me and said they wanted to build a minotaur deck, and asked for my decklist. I wrote it down, and he went and bought the entire thing with some trade-ins. Blood for Mogis :black101:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

That's actually pretty neat.

So I could just cast whatever after I block and then save my Artisan by making it no longer a creature but instead a Mutavault with Heroic: Become another Thing.

Yup! Way back in Lorwyn standard, it gave Mirrorweave some extra functionality as well; if you Mirrorweave a Mutavault, your opponents' attackers suddenly aren't creatures anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What is Twisted Image doing in that Twin deck?

• Locked thread