Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

As silly as Mr. Satan is, I prefer the dub's change to Hercule, since it seems a lot more fitting for what he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

VanSandman posted:

In Bojack Unbound's Funimation dub, they call him Satan instead of Hercule.

The crowd chants his name.

I'm pretty sure Hercule is exclusively used for TV at this point and all their DVD/BD releases call him Mr. Satan. I'm not sure about the video games since I haven't played any since the original Tenkaichi.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

WhiffleballDude posted:

I'm pretty sure Hercule is exclusively used for TV at this point and all their DVD/BD releases call him Mr. Satan. I'm not sure about the video games since I haven't played any since the original Tenkaichi.

I want to say it's gone back and forth.

Is it just a delusion, or did Toriyama comment once and say that his full name was Hercule Satan? I know it just came out that he took the name Mr. Satan from his martial arts school.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Is it just a delusion, or did Toriyama comment once and say that his full name was Hercule Satan? I know it just came out that he took the name Mr. Satan from his martial arts school.

Satan is just his "martial arts" name or whatever.

His real name is Mark. (Maaku. Because Toriyama can not resist puns.)

Also Happy Piccolo Day everyone!

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 10, 2014

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So what would you say is the best movie? Personally I feel movies 1-4 are the best overall with World's Strongest as the best movie period

Also Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is best Dragon Ball game

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

drrockso20 posted:

World's Strongest as the best movie period

ewww

Fusion Reborn is my favorite with Bojack Unbound at a close second. Battle of Gods is 3rd.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

WhiffleballDude posted:

ewww

Fusion Reborn is my favorite with Bojack Unbound at a close second. Battle of Gods is 3rd.

The first two movies were good just because they were the last point where actual martial arts were involved in the hand-to-hand combat. (Actually, they're the last points where the hand-to-hand combat was more than just 'flurry punch-->flurry kick-->zanzouken behind you-->haymaker'.)

From a pure badassery fight perspective, Bojack and Metal Cooler were probably the best.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Android 13's movie is the best because it is the low point of ALL of the Dragonball dubbing.

$30 haircut.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I know it's not the most popular, but I loved the first Broly movie. Broly was legit scary to young me and I enjoyed how he didn't fight so much as brawl. And the animation was some of the best the movies had to offer.

Speaking of which, hasn't TFS mostly released their version of the movies at around the same time in the series as the original movies were? Shouldn't the second Cooler film be coming up soon-ish?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I also really like the first Broly Movie, lots of awesome scenes in that. Goku doing a point blank kamehameha on Broly is probably one of my favorite moments in DBZ

drrockso20 posted:

Also Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is best Dragon Ball game
:hfive:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Android 13's movie is the best because it is the low point of ALL of the Dragonball dubbing.

$30 haircut.

"Howdy, I'm Android 13. Look at my trucker hat!"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The problem with Broly is goddamn does it drag. WE get it he's nearly unstoppable.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Shindragon posted:

The problem with Broly is goddamn does it drag. WE get it he's nearly unstoppable.

From a certain perspective he's potentially the most powerful enemy they ever faced. As a standard Super Saiyan he's more powerful than SSj2 Gohan in the second Broly movie. The gang is lucky he never surpassed the first Super Saiyan form. An SSj3 (or 4 if you want to include it) Broly would be so mind-bogglingly powerful that he could stomp a mudhole into Buu without a second thought.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm pretty sure a SS3 Broly would be easy absorption fodder for Buu. Dude is dumber than a sack of bricks.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Hercule Satan was the named used in the French dub if that matters.

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm pretty sure a SS3 Broly would be easy absorption fodder for Buu. Dude is dumber than a sack of bricks.

Esroc posted:

An SSj3 (or 4 if you want to include it) Broly would be so mind-bogglingly powerful that he could stomp a mudhole into Buu without a second thought.
One of the video games What If levels had this and he just sorta gets randomly beaten by SS3 Vegeta.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

The first two movies were good just because they were the last point where actual martial arts were involved in the hand-to-hand combat. (Actually, they're the last points where the hand-to-hand combat was more than just 'flurry punch-->flurry kick-->zanzouken behind you-->haymaker'.)

Dead Zone is my favorite movie for pretty much this reason. Also Gohan tripping balls and this line : (@0:54)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vTeMQIWrh4

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Esroc posted:

From a certain perspective he's potentially the most powerful enemy they ever faced. As a standard Super Saiyan he's more powerful than SSj2 Gohan in the second Broly movie. The gang is lucky he never surpassed the first Super Saiyan form. An SSj3 (or 4 if you want to include it) Broly would be so mind-bogglingly powerful that he could stomp a mudhole into Buu without a second thought.

Toriyama said Super Saiyan base form is the strongest in that interview linked the other day.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I always thought he had a special form, like he was the super Sayian and his form is a perpetual motion machine of increasing energy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zedd posted:

I always thought he had a special form, like he was the super Sayian and his form is a perpetual motion machine of increasing energy.

Bardock is the sayian of legend.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kild posted:

Bardock is the sayian of legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGWPDHrUWko&t=74s

1:14

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Kild posted:

Toriyama said Super Saiyan base form is the strongest in that interview linked the other day.

Yeah, but that's stupid and shits all over everything he established prior. I get that he's the creator and what he says goes, but lately he's been making absolutely stupid decisions as to what direction to take the franchise in. His past few announcements and even parts of Battle of Gods are a perfect example of what happens when a creator steps away from his creation then tries to jump right back in two decades later. He's lost touch with his own creation.

I mean, I'm still going to buy it all like a good little fanboy. But that don't mean I can't bitch about it at the same time.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
What was wrong with Battle of Gods?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

g0lbez posted:

What was wrong with Battle of Gods?

The use of CG for the fights scenes was lazy. Super Saiyan God was silly, made no sense within established canon, and was also a lazy design. Overall it was just all around lazy. I enjoyed parts of it. Beerus was awesome and Vegeta finally had a moment to shine. And the comedy was top notch. But Toriyama phoned it in for various aspects and it shows.

All in all I'm getting a real Star Wars prequel trilogy vibe out of the material Toriyama has published and discussed in recent years. He's trying to revive his creation either for recognition or money (hint: it's money) but has completely forgotten what made the original great.

And much like Lucas being reigned in by other people during the Original Trilogy then being cut loose for the Prequels, Toriyama was kept in control by his editors during DBZ but has now been set loose for this new stuff. There's a lot of parallels happening here and they make me worried about where this franchise is heading.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 10, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kild posted:

Doesn't this kind of contradict like...everything?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Esroc posted:

The use of CG for the fights scenes was lazy. Super Saiyan God was silly, made no sense within established canon, and was also a lazy design. Overall it was just all around lazy. I enjoyed parts of it. Beerus was awesome and Vegeta finally had a moment to shine. And the comedy was top notch. But Toriyama phoned it in for various aspects and it shows.

All in all I'm getting a real Star Wars prequel trilogy vibe out of the material Toriyama has published and discussed in recent years. He's trying to revive his creation either for recognition or money (hint: it's money) but has completely forgotten what made the original great.

And much like Lucas being reigned in by other people during the Original Trilogy then being cut loose for the Prequels, Toriyama was kept in control by his editors during DBZ but has now been set loose for this new stuff. There's a lot of parallels happening here and they make me worried about where this franchise is heading.

I dunno man, Dragonball was pretty fantastic because it was THE GREATEST ACTION-ADVENTURE-FANTASY-COMEDY manga series of all time, which Z mostly ignored. If Battle of the God's comedy was actually good, then he can do whatever the hell he wants to with the franchise and recon the poo poo out of it, because it's him finally remembering how cool his series was before it because about aliens screaming at each other.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Esroc posted:

I thought the last few new Dragon Ball features were more of a Toei/Bandai initiative to sell more merch and didn't have much to do with Toriyama at all?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Doesn't this kind of contradict like...everything?
I don't... think so? This is just my understanding, but I think what Toriyama more or less said is that (just pulling up numbers for an example) while SSJ2 doubled power/energy output/whatever, it quadrupled energy expenditure (this from my memory is more or less consistent with how SSJ2 was treated in comparison to SSJ1 and completely consistent for SSJ3). Apparently Goku's epiphany in the new movie was that said short term gains weren't actually worth it. Apparently he needs to focus on longevity and endurance?

I mean, I'm trying. This is DBZ we're talking about, stuff just is.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Didn't Toriyama merrily contradict his own stuff or forget rules he set up while writing DB and DBZ anyway? It's a bit silly to complain that Toriyama doesn't respect the rich canon of Dragon Ball like I do when he made Battle of the Gods when he never really gave a gently caress in the first place. Dude just wanted to write a punchmans manga.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Twiddy posted:

I don't... think so? This is just my understanding, but I think what Toriyama more or less said is that (just pulling up numbers for an example) while SSJ2 doubled power/energy output/whatever, it quadrupled energy expenditure (this from my memory is more or less consistent with how SSJ2 was treated in comparison to SSJ1 and completely consistent for SSJ3). Apparently Goku's epiphany in the new movie was that said short term gains weren't actually worth it. Apparently he needs to focus on longevity and endurance?

I mean, I'm trying. This is DBZ we're talking about, stuff just is.

This is pretty much exactly how I understood it. Goku realized that the higher forms drain way more juice than they should for the amount of power they give, but that since he can reach that level of power through transformation it should be entirely possible to reach it just through training his base/SS1 form like crazy. I think it kind of misses the silly joy of post-Super Saiyan DBZ, which for me was always the increasingly crazy transformations, but it's fairly internally consistent.

It doesn't get rid of them as a short-term "oh poo poo!" button either, I don't think.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Combat Lobster posted:

Dead Zone is my favorite movie for pretty much this reason. Also Gohan tripping balls and this line : (@0:54)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vTeMQIWrh4

I like how we're arguing about the rich canon and logical consistency of this series immediately after someone posts a video of someone releasing their true power with a mighty warcry of "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!" :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Battle of the Gods is one of my favorite DBZ movies and if it wasn't for the fighting parts it would just be my hands-down favorite. It brought the comedy back to DBZ with force. The fight was dumb but come on, how many DBZ movies didn't end in a pretty similar way?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It was pretty sweet when Vegeta lost his poo poo and was stronger than Goku for all of 10 minutes and him not knowing what to do and being embarassed when Goku acknowledges this fact was hilarious.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Toriyama is nothing like Lucas. Everything he's been doing with the universe has been expanding it. He's actually trying to make you feel like there's more than just earth, namek, and planet vegeta in the universe. Galaxy police, expanded explanation of the kais/gods of destruction, admitting the existence of parallel universes(which in its own way allows for whatever weird rear end fanfiction out there), and he's trying to tone down the excessive power level craziness. Sucks to lose SSJ2, but I'm okay with the move. Toriyama took some time away from things, but he's come back and torn down a few walls to add a ton of new rooms. It's great.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Toriyama is nothing like Lucas. Everything he's been doing with the universe has been expanding it. He's actually trying to make you feel like there's more than just earth, namek, and planet vegeta in the universe. Galaxy police, expanded explanation of the kais/gods of destruction, admitting the existence of parallel universes(which in its own way allows for whatever weird rear end fanfiction out there), and he's trying to tone down the excessive power level craziness. Sucks to lose SSJ2, but I'm okay with the move. Toriyama took some time away from things, but he's come back and torn down a few walls to add a ton of new rooms. It's great.

Expanding the world was a great move on his part, I agree. The whole multi-verse and Gods of Destruction angle is brilliant and could make for some amazing storylines if he decides to continue. But he's still making a lot of missteps in my opinion. And the " excessive power-level craziness" is one of the chief draws of the franchise. We all tuned in as kids to see how ridiculous the next Big Bad was going to be. Constantly escalating from warriors, to planet crackers, to galaxy enders, to literal Gods. That's the entire point of the show.

My chief complaints are Super Saiyan God, his dumping of transformations entirely (which is another one of the biggest draws of the entire show), and his retconning of established canon. SSj God was silly. Saiyans already have the Legendary Super Saiyan as their chief mythological figure that turned out to be real. But wait! They also have a second Legendary Super Saiyan that they called "God" which was conveniently never mentioned before, apes (ha!) the entire concept of the original Super Saiyan, and exists for no reason other than to be a deus ex machina to use against Beerus. A new canon version of SSj4 would have made sense. SSj God does not. And the whole "needs a handful of pure-hearted Saiyans to create and oh! look at that! We just so happen to have the exact number of Saiyans we need to create it!" was lazy as hell writing. Plus the visual design of SSj God was also ridiculously lazy.

Then he goes even further with making GBS threads on his own canon by retconning Bardock as a dutiful father and the Saiyans as kind-hearted warriors. The entire point of the Saiyans and Goku's journey was that they were evil and sadistic but Goku had rejected his lineage and thus surpassed his own ancestors in doing so. This also applies to Vegeta who didn't discover true power until he had rejected his own Saiyan instincts in favor of human ones. Not to mention that that entire manga one-shot is Superman's origin verbatim but with Bardock, Gine, and Kakarot in place of Jor-El, Lara Lor-Van, and Kal-El. Goku was already a Superman analog but Toriyama went and turned him into a drat clone.

And don't even get me started on Super Saiyan Bardock.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 10, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Esroc posted:

The entire point of the Saiyans and Goku's journey was that they were evil and sadistic but Goku had rejected his lineage and thus surpassed his own ancestors in doing so.

I agree that the Saiyan's not being as evil is dumb, and agree with everything else you said, but Goku had brain damage. He didn't really overcome his nature on his own.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I agree that the Saiyan's not being as evil is dumb, and agree with everything else you said, but Goku had brain damage. He didn't really overcome his nature on his own.

True, but it still falls in line with the concept that a Saiyan can't reach his true potential unless he gives up his selfish ways. Be it on purpose or accidentally. The entire concept hinges on the idea that Saiyans are in their own way so far as progress is concerned due to their selfish and evil nature.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Esroc posted:

True, but it still falls in line with the concept that a Saiyan can't reach his true potential unless he gives up his selfish ways. Be it on purpose or accidentally. The entire concept hinges on the idea that Saiyans are in their own way so far as progress is concerned due to their selfish and evil nature.

You know, there's actually a similar concept at play in Buffy. Angel is evil and a witch curses him to regain his soul, but then Spike, through great effort, chooses to get his soul back. It's kinda like that with Goku and Vegeta.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

You know, there's actually a similar concept at play in Buffy. Angel is evil and a witch curses him to regain his soul, but then Spike, through great effort, chooses to get his soul back. It's kinda like that with Goku and Vegeta.

Good point. And I always felt Spike was the more noble of the two because he chose his soul rather than had it hoisted upon him. The same can be applied to Goku and Vegeta. Goku had his life handed to him. Vegeta had to work for it and redeem himself.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VanSandman posted:

It was pretty sweet when Vegeta lost his poo poo and was stronger than Goku for all of 10 minutes and him not knowing what to do and being embarassed when Goku acknowledges this fact was hilarious.

...When did this happen? Are you talking about Majin Vegeta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

...When did this happen? Are you talking about Majin Vegeta?

Vegeta fought Beerus to a standstill after Beerus had schooled literally every other character.

• Locked thread