Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

When Kass makes it to the F2 and then beats Tony due to bitter jury syndrome I am going to laugh so hard and hold it dear to my heart for as long as this show gets renewed. Because the degree at which posters here are riding Spencer's knob while completely making GBS threads on her game has reached hilarious levels at this point.

People have been predicting she would be gone since episode 2 on, and yet she remains.

I mean, people were saying after her first big flip that she traded in a guaranteed spot with her old alliance and was going to be voted off first be her new one, and yet...

EDIT: And now come about 5 posts arguing with me, but we'll see what happens soon.

If the jury is bitter, Sarah/Morgan/Jeremiah/Tasha/Spencer would be voting for Tony, and LJ/Jefra/Trish/Woo for Kass. I really don't understand why people think Kass has any shot at winning - the reason that her move was so dumb is that when you betray the majority, you lose if people vote on feelings, and you also probably lose if people vote on strategy. We might have an enlightened jury that respects the goat strategy, but I think people are just going to read it as a vindictive move and vote against her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hey guys! I'm spoilering this list because I specifically said it's non-winners and people might be watching those seasons!

*everyone else proceeds to openly talk about players on the list*

I like your list Poque and while there are players I would really like to see that meet your conditions I am having a hard time figuring out who I would take out to do so.

e: man, tocantins was such a good season, I might need to go back and rewatch it

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 9, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

IcePhoenix posted:

Hey guys! I'm spoilering this list because I specifically said it's non-winners and people might be watching those seasons!

*everyone else proceeds to openly talk about players on the list*

The old policy used to be "don't spoiler tag anything that isn't a current season spoiler, it's annoying" so at this point any spoiler tags at all are just a bonus courtesy. I try to be polite and spoiler tag when it's convenient, but anyone worried about previous season spoilers really shouldn't be reading this thread.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
30 seconds into the RHAP interview with Hatch and he's already brilliant. His response to the Kelly Wiglesworth mention on Wednesdays episode was that she must be on one of the next two seasons. He's right they almost never mention former players like that and could have easily taken it out in editing.

Mind blown already by 30 seconds of Hatch. I love it when he does RHAP. One of the greatest guests of all time.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BGrifter posted:

30 seconds into the RHAP interview with Hatch and he's already brilliant. His response to the Kelly Wiglesworth mention on Wednesdays episode was that she must be on one of the next two seasons. He's right they almost never mention former players like that and could have easily taken it out in editing.

Mind blown already by 30 seconds of Hatch. I love it when he does RHAP. One of the greatest guests of all time.

They mentioned Russell too :ohdear:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Jose Valasquez posted:

They mentioned Russell too :ohdear:

hopefully they were only talking about Russell Feathers

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BGrifter posted:

Was the Parvati segment worth listening to? I gave up after three questions because the callers were all hitting on her and her answers seemed like she was barely watching this season.

But yeah Hatch was good, especially his take on the concept of a "bitter jury".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Lone Goat posted:

Was the Parvati segment worth listening to? I gave up after three questions because the callers were all hitting on her and her answers seemed like she was barely watching this season.

But yeah Hatch was good, especially his take on the concept of a "bitter jury".

I'm only 40 minutes in to Hatch. I'll let you know when it's over, Parvati I'll stick around for. So far Hatch is the best RHAP guest this season edging out Malcolm.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Tony's fireside chats with Spencer never get old.

Tony on Garrett:

Tony on language:

Tony loves Siri:

Edit:
Bonus Tony loves Siri and hates Kass:

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 9, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I didn't figure Tony to be the type of person who'd recommend Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

BGrifter posted:

Tony's fireside chats with Spencer never get old.

Tony on Garrett:

Tony on language:

Tony loves Siri:

Edit:
Bonus Tony loves Siri and hates Kass:

Tony looks awfully big for a 12 year old.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hatch was good (interesting) on the podcast, but i disagreed with him on several (most?) things. Like, he said he liked Kass's initial flip at the merge. He then said Kass made a huge mistake by not voting Tony out last night (I don't tihnk she can beat Tony, but better to go against Tony than Spencer/Tash). (Still funny that Kass came up with the idea and then blindsided her own idea, though.) Hatch is saying now they can't get Tony out - they wouldn't have been able to get him out until final 4 anyway though.

He's too down on Trish for 'not playing,' but I agree her odds aren't good.

Does Woo win a Trish/Kass/Woo final 3? Can't believe Hatch pegged Kass to win that, and is so high on her in general. Everyone hates her.

I don't think the Kelly Wigglesworth mention meant anything either... just Jeff noting some Survivor history. But I'll give him that one, that was an interesting idea.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 10, 2014

Mackay
May 28, 2006

Arrr.

BGrifter posted:

I can only assume Kass bought a couple accounts here cause the "Kass is totally gonna win guys" posts have no basis in reality. The jury loathes her.
I don't think Kass is "totally going to win" - I would just like her to.

I agree that there seems to be no way she can win. That said, if I hadn't been listening to post-show interviews, seeing the Twitter drama, etc. and was analysing her chances based on the show only, I would believe that she won based solely on how much insight the edit has given the audience into her actions. My pet theory was that she was tied closely enough to the eventual winner/had enough of a hand in their win that the producers wanted to justify how the winner got there. However, given her relationships with the remaining players and the preview for next week, that leaves ...Woo? That could be fun!

I'd really be satisfied by any non-Spencer winner. Spencer has received exactly the kind of one-dimensional edit I find irritating, and he just seems really... entitled? Judgmental? Convinced that his idea of how to play Survivor is the only correct one? I can't quantify it exactly, but I'd just be annoyed if a guy who believes he is so great was validated by getting the win (I think I stole that phrasing from someone earlier in the thread, but it's exactly right). Someone like Tony, who also thinks he is amazing but (a) doesn't spend all of his time passing judgment on the other players, (b) is playing his rear end off (for better or worse), and (c) actually seems to be having fun, is far more palatable.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Its funny that you complain that Spencer is arrogant, believes he is 'so great!', entitled, judgemental...and then turn around and like Tony who is all of the things you profess to hate. You're just being contrary.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I get that some people got annoyed at how the thread was initially really praising Spencer, but I'm not certain where anyone could get the idea that he thinks is entitled, smug or that he thinks he's playing the best game. That's pretty blatantly untrue. Some of his confessionals have incorrectly predicted events, but he's been fairly self-aware.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Am I correct in thinking Tony basically has to win the final immunity in order to make it to the finals? Like I can't imagine why any of the players, regardless of whether it's a final-2 or final-3 situation, wouldn't eliminate him in the penultimate tribal council (in which the idols shouldn't work, right?)

Mackay
May 28, 2006

Arrr.

LeJackal posted:

Its funny that you complain that Spencer is arrogant, believes he is 'so great!', entitled, judgemental...and then turn around and like Tony who is all of the things you profess to hate. You're just being contrary.

I specifically avoided criticising him for being "arrogant" because my favourite player this season is Kass, who is probably the most arrogant person out there (though admittedly there is some tough competition from Spencer and Tony both). :)

Tony really seems like he is having a blast out there, which I think makes up for a lot. He doesn't fixate on other players' mistakes and lambast them the way Spencer does. Spencer has been shown repeatedly berating other players for their gameplay or dictating strategy to them in a very absolute "this is the way that Survivor must be played" sense. It was particularly noticeable after Kass' flip and during the reward with Jefra, to name the first two examples that come to mind. We also get to know Tony in a way we haven't with Spencer, I think. We have gotten to see a lot of his personality, whereas with Spencer, we get him either narrating the game or being kind of sour/whiny and passing judgment on the other players.

It wouldn't be as irritating, I think, if the show had fleshed out his character a bit. I mean, he received a letter from home and got to give gifts to poor children, and the show either chose to take zero opportunity to humanise him, or he just... didn't give them anything humanising to work with. Would they pass up a beautiful scene of Gamebot Spencer's facade cracking while he sheds a tear over a letter from his mum? Maybe - if Kass wins and they need to make him look bad. Otherwise it's creepy and Spencer is creepy.

That said, I think that the show's story of Kass vs Spencer has probably set up fans of either one to dislike the other intensely, so I'm more than willing to admit that I am biased against Spencer. His pre-show interviews didn't help either.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
The one reason a final two might happen this season is the Tyler Perry idol, having a final two means the person with that idol is vulnerable the last two tribals instead of just one,not sayin they went final two just saying there's a touch more logic to it if they did it to stealth nerf the idol.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mackay posted:

I mean, he received a letter from home and got to give gifts to poor children, and the show either chose to take zero opportunity to humanise him, or he just... didn't give them anything humanising to work with.

Did you miss his entire confession/soliloquy about how he's not usually gushing about kids, but that the experience touched his heart in a new way that he enjoyed? You're complaining like he's some kind of roboplayer.

Mackay posted:

Tony really seems like he is having a blast out there, which I think makes up for a lot.

Tony has the benefit of being Kingzilla of Dumb Alliance mountain with a pocket full of idols, compared to constantly-on-the-bottom Spencer. I wonder if that could possibly color their moods at all? Its not like Tony ever gets all weird and controlling and lambasts people when he gets stressed out!

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Just watched this week's episode. Can't blame Kass for taking out Tasha, she would've creamed everybody in the end. I still don't think Kass' strategic gameplay has been as atrocious as a lot of people are making it out to be, but she clearly won't be beating Tony or Spencer in the end. She has an outside shot in a final three of Kass/Woo/Trish, but I think Woo would eek that out on pure likability. Overall, she's a decent strategic player whose upside is shot to poo poo by an awful social game and a cripplingly large ego.

Tony has just been a force so far. It would be interesting to see how he'd play with his back up against the wall rather than buoyed with confidence by his super-idol, but I guess it led to some interesting television, so its a trade-off. I feel like Spencer's best shot next week might be to convince Tony that Woo is his biggest threat due to him being the most likable person left on the island. You gotta think Tony is pretty set in his head with a final three of Trish and Kass.

As for the debate about final three vs. final two, I hope the episode layout is the way it is just because there was enough entertainment to allow for an entire hour of programming leading up to the last boot before a final three.

Maybe its my short-term memory, but I feel like this season has had one of the strongest post-merge casts in a long time. Trish is by default the weakest player left in the game, but even she's played a pretty significant role in her own right, helping draw Kass in and keep that core alliance together. They really put together a good group this season.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

LeJackal posted:

Tony has the benefit of being Kingzilla of Dumb Alliance mountain with a pocket full of idols, compared to constantly-on-the-bottom Spencer. I wonder if that could possibly color their moods at all? Its not like Tony ever gets all weird and controlling and lambasts people when he gets stressed out!

Both Tony and Spencer have been in a minority alliance at some point in the game, and their attitudes were very different. It's hard to remember, but back in episode 1 Tony was basically ostracized from his tribe and was in the corner building a spy shack, lying to people, digging for idols and having a blast. Then at the merge when he ends up in an alliance of 5 against an alliance of 6, he again has a fun time tossing his idol around, trying to talk people into flipping, trying to read people, etc.

Meanwhile, whenever things have not gone Spencer's way (the Garrett boot, or Kass's merge flip) he whines about how his opponents are being irrational and/or spits out a misogynistic confessional.

I don't think either of them are playing particularly great or terrible games, but Tony's attitude is clearly more positive and more endearing and it's not just because he's been in the majority most of the post-merge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they're both kind of jerks, and you can toss in Kass too. Spencer's "these monsters aren't as bad as I thought" confession didn't exactly endear him to me, especially when put side by side with Woo embracing it fully. It's why I'm definitely rooting for Woo to Fabio this. I just don't like anyone else.

But I'm not expecting it. Tony and Spencer are kind of annoying jerks but not much more than that and they've generally done well to conceal it from their fellow survivors. I don't expect a poisoned jury even if Woo can make the end.

But yeah, Tony at least seems to be generally enjoying himself. That's kind of endearing. And I don't think he's been especially rude to anyone except maybe when Kass riled him up. Spencer seems to really enjoy taking the shots at people, though, as if he was Rob C. So Tony generally comes off a little better, at least to me.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Vernacular posted:

I still don't think Kass' strategic gameplay has been as atrocious as a lot of people are making it out to be

Tasha, Sarah, Jeremiah, and Morgan are very unlikely to cast their votes to her. If Spencer is eliminated, he will not vote for her, period. All from a single move. A move based on emotion. Her strategy is nonexistent at times and otherwise constantly shifting. Just this last episode she went from trying to take out a huge threat to win it all, to deciding she wanted to face that threat in the final. Because someone said Hantz.

People aren't overstating anything, the players she hasn't alienated don't have any particular connection to her. Jeffra may vote for her, and LJ is sort of a mystery. But even he would likely vote Trish (never betrayed him, gave him life in the game twice) over Kass. Tony, if eliminated, will not vote for her. Trish is shown screaming at her next episode. Having a social game is relevant.

quote:

EDIT: And now come about 5 posts arguing with me, but we'll see what happens soon.

hihihi posting and not expecting a response, that's nice. I too enjoy talking at a wall. We'll see, sure, but most of us probably won't be surprised.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mancalamania posted:

Both Tony and Spencer have been in a minority alliance at some point in the game

When was Tony ever in a minority?

In the original Brawn tribe they were trying to throw a challenge so they could set up a Tony/Sarah/Trish/Woo vote out of Cliff.

After the swap, Tony was in the majority with Trish/Woo/LJ/Jefra to vote out Cliff and then have Lindsey commit suicide.

After the merge, Tony was up 6/5 with the above group and Kass.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Mackay posted:

That said, I think that the show's story of Kass vs Spencer has probably set up fans of either one to dislike the other intensely, so I'm more than willing to admit that I am biased against Spencer. His pre-show interviews didn't help either.

For me, Spencer suffers for coming on the heels of two consecutive camera-dominant younger, intelligent, snarky white dudes that ended up winning the game. Cochran and Tyson were cleverer and had better overall personalities, and I even got kind of got tired of them at times just because of how much screentime they got in a "this is a great player" context. So for Spencer to follow as the exact same archetype, except with almost none of the redeeming qualities of the first two, it's just not a character I'm interested in seeing so much of even if he's playing the game well.

As an example, all three of them made cutting remarks about older women whom I enjoyed but had obvious shortcomings (Dawn, Monica, Kass). I thought Cochran and Tyson were funny about it, and I was annoyed by Spencer, even though I don't have a particular affinity for Kass over the other two. That's why I don't think it's necessarily an either/or thing with Kass and Spencer; you can just not care for a character on television.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

I think they're both kind of jerks, and you can toss in Kass too. Spencer's "these monsters aren't as bad as I thought" confession didn't exactly endear him to me, especially when put side by side with Woo embracing it fully. It's why I'm definitely rooting for Woo to Fabio this. I just don't like anyone else.

More misinterpretation. He said that he does not like kids, but ended up being surprised at how much he enjoyed the experience. I don't exactly see what the problem with this is.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Adus posted:

More misinterpretation. He said that he does not like kids, but ended up being surprised at how much he enjoyed the experience. I don't exactly see what the problem with this is.
I don't dislike Spencer but I found that sequence kind of off-putting, especially with Woo as contrast. Like if someone seems kind of weird/nerdy already and then they tell you they don't like kids, but they didn't mind this experience with them, it's not really a net win on the seeming-weird-and-nerdy front. Most people would just comment on the experience and not point out that they don't like kids.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Adus posted:

"while the monsters were swarming me..." just isn't likely to leave a very good impression with me even if its followed with something like "was actually nice."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've never understood why Survivor sends groups of incredibly filthy people who haven't washed or changed clothes in weeks and probably smell worse than that one hobo everyone edges away from in the supermarket to villages and schools to play with the children. If I was one of those children I wouldn't want to go anywhere near them.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Vernacular posted:

Trish is by default the weakest player left in the game, but even she's played a pretty significant role in her own right, helping draw Kass in and keep that core alliance together.

I think you mean Woo.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Lord Bude posted:

I've never understood why Survivor sends groups of incredibly filthy people who haven't washed or changed clothes in weeks and probably smell worse than that one hobo everyone edges away from in the supermarket to villages and schools to play with the children. If I was one of those children I wouldn't want to go anywhere near them.

Didn't woo put one of them in a playful headlock? I'm surprised the kid didn't pass out.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Milovan Drecun posted:

Having a social game is relevant.

Yeah, and that's why I said that her lack of a social game would probably prevent her from winning the game in my post...

The big move she made was definitely rooted in ego, but it wasn't without its strategic merits. She knew she had 0 chance of beating Spence or Tasha, and voting with that group would have kept her in bed with them. For that same reason, I understand her changing her mind and getting rid of Tasha this week.

Those people you mentioned are unlikely to vote for her because of her arrogance and lack of social skills, not because of her decisions to vote out certain people. The way she treats other people in camp is indefensible, but I understand pretty much every vote she's made.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I think you mean Woo.

No, it was Trish who reeled in Kass when Sarah was getting on her nerves.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Vernacular posted:

Yeah, and that's why I said that her lack of a social game would probably prevent her from winning the game in my post...

The big move she made was definitely rooted in ego, but it wasn't without its strategic merits. She knew she had 0 chance of beating Spence or Tasha, and voting with that group would have kept her in bed with them. For that same reason, I understand her changing her mind and getting rid of Tasha this week.

Those people you mentioned are unlikely to vote for her because of her arrogance and lack of social skills, not because of her decisions to vote out certain people. The way she treats other people in camp is indefensible, but I understand pretty much every vote she's made.

No, it was Trish who reeled in Kass when Sarah was getting on her nerves.

It was completely without strategic merit. Even though she had 0 chance of beating Spencer or Tasha, the time to turn against them isn't at the merge. If you drop your top 3 position (having not pissed anyone off) to join a 6 person alliance where you're either at the bottom or become a goat (because you pissed so many people off by making a completely nonsensical move to the point that winning is impossible), you've made a terrible move. There is no question that Kass' flip was one of the worst "strategic plays" ever made in Survivor. The later you flip, the less people you piss off (which is obviously good for jury reasons). Kass had a fairly decent chance of just cruising to final 5. If she'd waited to flip till then she could have gotten through without pissing many people off, would have claim to a legitimately smart "big move" etc.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever won Survivor after flipping after the merge? That is, the merge happens, there are two groups, someone switches over to the other side and then goes on to win. I can't think of it ever having happened.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I love how on Survivor the contestants can have all these rational strategies and clever plans and sensible alliances, and then BOOM, some crazy person knocks through everything like a rampaging elephant. Kass is that elephant, and it's wonderful. She's a far better illogical agent of chaos than previous people that played that role, because the depths of her self-awareness plunge below Tocantins Coach lows. Even more fascinating, she does it in an entirely different way. She believes she's more intelligent and dispassionate than everyone else.
Plus the constant ironic statements and ridiculous hypocrisies. "It's too early to flip." "Nobody will vote for Tony." etc.
Magical loving television right here. I really hope she returns for an All-Star season.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Spatula City posted:

I really hope she returns for an All-Star season.

With near certainty she'd be the first boot of whichever tribe she ended up on. Awful in challenges, useless in camp and after this season it will be known that she can't even be trusted to act in her own self-interest. She might seem like a great goat, but there's no way any tribe keeps her in the game long enough (i.e. till merge) for her to play that role. As unpredictable as this season has been because of her, she'd be a waste of a returnee.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Whys the special idol called the Tyler Perry idol

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Orange Sunshine posted:

Has anyone ever won Survivor after flipping after the merge? That is, the merge happens, there are two groups, someone switches over to the other side and then goes on to win. I can't think of it ever having happened.

I'm not aware of it ever working, no. Maybe in a really early season I don't remember?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

JakeP posted:

Apparently he gave Probst the idea to bring it back (or he suggested the powers and they forget it hd been done), Probst mentioned it in some pre-season interview. Ever since they confirmed it I've just been disappointed that they're not actually calling it that though, I really want to hear Tony ramble on about how he's protected by Tyler Perry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

JakeP posted:

Because apparently actor/director Tyler Perry tweeted Jeff something along the lines of "hey how about an idol that you can use AFTER the votes?" and Jeff thought this was some sort of brilliant idea that they had never done before and certainly wasn't broken or anything.

• Locked thread