Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Demon Ruins/Izalith is not comparable to Amana because you can easily run through the entire thing and not fight any monsters at all. Even pre-Izalith nerf you could just avoid the lava area in exchange for beating the boss that requires turning in 30 humanities one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Internet Kraken posted:

Grinding the 30 humanity required for that is just another kind of pain in the rear end.
I don't think I ever had problems with that, 30 humanity was always about what I had earned naturally by that point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Question about the dragon covenant, do you lose a dragon scale if you lose the duel like you would a cracked eye stone for other covenants?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Nope!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cool, thanks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
71 hours and 38 minutes and I'm nearly done with my NG run - only Nashandra left to kill.

Someone suggest me a good, fun Strength weapon that's usable 1h at 45 Str. I've been using the great club, but I'm not a fan of UGSes or great hammers and it's super loving boring. If there's nothing, I'll probably respec to a Lightning Defender Greatsword build.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 10, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Artificer posted:

Its stat requirements are kinda wonky for that yeah. I have the bare minimums needed to wield it so I'm considering putting it on a Lightning Infusion. But it requires Dragonbones to upgrade and there's no easy source for those so.... I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to test it out in PvP.

Edit: ARE there good sources for Dragonbones?

The Dragon Aerie, of course. :v:

E: You should look into the Defender Greatsword, by the way. It doesn't have a ridiculous special attack, but it's apparently pretty much the STR/FAI weapon.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Internet Kraken posted:

You can't run past the 3 boss fights and then the terrible gimmick boss at the very end.

You need giant souls. He has crazy high defense but each giant's soul in your inventory decreases it. You can get a total of 5, 4 of which are pretty easy to get. You can't get them now though, so just come back later.

Vendrick is what I treat as this game's final boss. He's not really hard but the atmosphere at least makes it a nice fight, and the actual final boss has nothing going for it.

Ah ok. I guess this is something they clue you in on later as I just got here and he is just sort of invincible and drooling.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lemon Curdistan posted:

71 hours and 38 minutes and I'm nearly done with my NG run - only Nashandra left to kill.

Someone suggest me a good, fun Strength weapon that's usable 1h at 45 Str. I've been using the great club, I'm not a fan of UGSes or great hammers and it's super loving boring. If there's nothing, I'll probably respec to a Lightning Defender Greatsword build.

+10 mace sounds right for you. But have you considered that running a strength build while not liking ultra-greatswords or great hammers is probably a poor life choice?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

The Dragon Aerie, of course. :v:

The guys with the marble hats in Aldia's Keep can drop them as well I think. I know I've had it happen.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Manatee Cannon posted:

The guys with the marble hats in Aldia's Keep can drop them as well I think. I know I've had it happen.

Yup, this is probably the fastest way of farming, as they drop them pretty frequently if you're using + item discovery gear, and you can clear out all 5 of them in like 2-3 minutes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

+10 mace sounds right for you. But have you considered that running a strength build while not liking ultra-greatswords or great hammers is probably a poor life choice?

I've got a +9 mace and a +9 club and while I like the mace (and used it for the first half of the game), I like the diagonal swings on the club R1 better than the tiny vertical swings the mace has.

Also yes, all the time, that's why I'm considering respeccing. It's either lightning Defender greatsword or a black knight halberd Dex build, I'm not sure which would be more fun.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

kazil posted:

Only watched like 5 minutes of this but this guy's trying to say the Belfry Gargoyle fight was bad.

Sorry, no. Gargoyle fight is great.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Soldiers Rest NG+ is quite possibly the worst bonfire in the game.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Axes are loving cool for strength builds :colbert:.

Axes don't get enough love.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

laplace posted:

Come to think of it they completely slipped my mind. I think I just assumed they'd have the same moveset as great hammers.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

laplace posted:

Very true, but if I recall correctly the ones I tried had a bad tendency to hit the ground with their swings.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Heliosicle posted:

Soldiers Rest NG+ is quite possibly the worst bonfire in the game.

Dealing with two turtles and two hollows the second you walk out the door sucks but just wait till you get back to the Sinner's Rise bonfire with the three crossbowmen that aggro the second you stand up. That one's real fun. At least you can go down the ladder before they hit you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've got a +9 mace and a +9 club and while I like the mace (and used it for the first half of the game), I like the diagonal swings on the club R1 better than the tiny vertical swings the mace has.

Also yes, all the time, that's why I'm considering respeccing. It's either lightning Defender greatsword or a black knight halberd Dex build, I'm not sure which would be more fun.

There is also the Mastodon Halberd if you don't want to get the dex for the Black Knight Halberd.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dealing with two turtles and two hollows the second you walk out the door sucks but just wait till you get back to the Sinner's Rise bonfire with the three crossbowmen that aggro the second you stand up. That one's real fun. At least you can go down the ladder before they hit you.

The Sinner's Rise bonfire is a walk in the park compared to the one in Soldier's Rest. gently caress those ironclads.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Agreeing with most of what this guy is saying so far. Thanks for the link.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I managed to have the perfect storm of agroing every enemy, both red phantoms and having a cop spawn the first 2 times I tried to clear it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's easy if you have a good shield. Just run up to one, and when he pulls out his sword run back around the corner. He follows, you murder him, and repeat with the second one.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yeah, I hadn't intentionally despawned anything up until that point but the second the situation became clear I made drat sure to spend 15 minutes vanishing those guys off the face of the earth before continuing.

The last Tseldora cove bonfire receives an honorable mention for featuring the two spiders plus a red phantom one in ng+. At least they have the decency to die from a light sneeze.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 10, 2014

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Broken Cog posted:

Agreeing with most of what this guy is saying so far. Thanks for the link.

Really? This dude's main complaints is that "there are multiple things I have to keep track of in a fight and I don't like it" and "the game allows me to kite enemies and abuse bows, because the souls series has never ever had an issue with this before"

It boils down to "this is different and I hate it" because FROM messed around with the way the player interacts with enemies. For someone who beat Demon's and Dark, you'd think he'd be loving sick of fighting enemies one at a time.

Weremacht fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 10, 2014

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
So, I just got summoned for OIK. I then proceeded to walk straight into the lava before the fight had even started :downs:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Weremacht posted:

Really? This dude's main complaints is that "there are multiple things I have to keep track of in a fight and I don't like it" and "the game allows me to kite enemies and abuse bows, because the souls series has never ever had an issue with this before"

It boils down to "this is different and I hate it"

It seems most of the complaints people have boil down to either "this is different so I hate it" or "this is the same so I hate it."

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
gently caress, I just missed out on the Ring of Blades +2 by trading hits with the 2nd throne room Pursuer for the kill. Do those things come back if I bonfire ascetic?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Sinner's Rise bonfire is kind of a stupid design but it's really not that bad. As you mentioned, you can get behind cover and down that ladder before they really ever have a chance to fire. Of course they'll follow you, but it's not a big deal if you're ready for it.

Soldier's Rest is the worst since tons of poo poo aggros on you as soon as you step outside and there's really nowhere to go without either getting backed into corner, falling off a cliff or moving into other areas that will aggro more giant enemies. And there's an archer on top of it all of course. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Weremacht posted:

It boils down to "this is different and I hate it" because FROM messed around with the way the player interacts with enemies. For someone who beat Demon's and Dark, you'd think he'd be loving sick of fighting enemies one at a time.

Almost all of the complaints I've read from people that hate this game boil down to that though. This game has legitimate problems but almost all of them have to do with the new mechanics that were introduced, namely soul memory and its impact on the PvP portion of the game. Everyone talking about how Dark Souls did whatever better than this game usually have no idea what they're talking about and are just being clouded by nostalgia.

Not saying that in an attempt to sound elitist. I just don't get why some people hate this game for reasons that apply completely to the other Souls games.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Scherloch posted:

So, I just got summoned for OIK. I then proceeded to walk straight into the lava before the fight had even started :downs:

I think it took me 5 goes to beat him and 3 of those were not paying attention to what was behind me. Amazing the difference having a +5 and +10 staff makes between attempts though

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Weremacht posted:

If that's what you want to focus on, I suppose. I still find that most enemies and bosses are incredibly uninteresting to fight, which seems to be his main point.

What I'm agreeing with him the most, though, is that the story and world design is an uninspired mess.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Not saying that in an attempt to sound elitist. I just don't get why some people hate this game for reasons that apply completely to the other Souls games.

Perhaps the length of DS2 makes problems more noticeable compared to Demon's and DS1. I also don't think anyone outright hates the game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

The Sinner's Rise bonfire is kind of a stupid design but it's really not that bad. As you mentioned, you can get behind cover and down that ladder before they really ever have a chance to fire. Of course they'll follow you, but it's not a big deal if you're ready for it.

Soldier's Rest is the worst since tons of poo poo aggros on you as soon as you step outside and there's really nowhere to go without either getting backed into corner, falling off a cliff or moving into other areas that will aggro more giant enemies. And there's an archer on top of it all of course. :v:

It seems like the best way to deal with it is not use the Soldier's Rest bonfire at all. It's not really a huge walk from the Cardinal Tower albeit you have to deal with the hallway of ironclads.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Broken Cog posted:

What I'm agreeing with him the most, though, is that the story and world design is an uninspired mess.

This I don't understand at all. Dark Souls 2 has a really good story and setting with lots of interesting and neat things. Its one of few games that actually has a story that benefit from the gameplay. Its different from the story of Dark Souls, but that doesn't make it worse. It tells a very different and rather ambitious story. The only problem with the world design is that areas don't link together properly. Calling it uninspired is absurd.

So yeah, I'm gonna chalk that one up to "its not like Dark Souls therefore I hate it".

Broken Cog posted:

I still find that most enemies and bosses are incredibly uninteresting to fight, which seems to be his main point.

I don't get this either. The enemy variety in DS 2 is par the course for the series. The boss variety is way better than Dark Souls, where you fought the same fat demon 3 times.

VVV I'm certain he's regurgitating the same arguments I've read a dozen times so no I'm not gonna waste 50 minutes on that.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 10, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internet Kraken posted:

This I don't understand at all. Dark Souls 2 has a really good story and setting with lots of interesting and neat things. Its one of few games that actually has a story that benefit from the gameplay. Its different from the story of Dark Souls, but that doesn't make it worse. It tells a very different and rather ambitious story. The only problem with the world design is that areas don't link together properly. Calling it uninspired is absurd.

So yeah, I'm gonna chalk that one up to "its not like Dark Souls therefore I hate it".

Maybe you should watch the video?

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV I'm certain he's regurgitating the same arguments I've read a dozen times so no I'm not gonna waste 50 minutes on that.

He touches on almost every issue with the game, a lot of which has indeed been mentioned by people in this very thread before.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 10, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Weremacht posted:

People would probably complain less if the combat system was at all suited to fighting more than two or at most three enemies at a time. Say what you want, but the system wasn't designed for crowd combat and it is awful at it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cowcaster posted:

It seems like the best way to deal with it is not use the Soldier's Rest bonfire at all. It's not really a huge walk from the Cardinal Tower albeit you have to deal with the hallway of ironclads.

I don't think there is really. I went most of the game without even finding that area honestly. I just think as far as bad bonfire decisions go, Sinner's Rise is nothing compared to Soldier's Rest.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Aren't you the guy who was flipping out about estus being different when you first picked up the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
What the h*ck, why do the hardest bosses like sentinel and sinner and gargoyles have the least summons. :(