Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I bought canned salmon only once. Went for the best stuff I could find at my grocer, which was 'red' as opposed to 'pink' salmon.

Thought it smelled and tasted super fishy, like what you might get if you cooked very old salmon. Was unable to eat much of it. Find it's nicer to buy a side of salmon for :20bux: and freeze portions sliced from it. Usually get about eight nice sized chunks. Figure that beats canned as long as you don't mind cooking 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gristle McThornBody
Sep 28, 2005
Bob Johnson!..oh,wait..

Juice Box Hero posted:

I bought canned salmon only once. Went for the best stuff I could find at my grocer, which was 'red' as opposed to 'pink' salmon.

Thought it smelled and tasted super fishy, like what you might get if you cooked very old salmon. Was unable to eat much of it. Find it's nicer to buy a side of salmon for :20bux: and freeze portions sliced from it. Usually get about eight nice sized chunks. Figure that beats canned as long as you don't mind cooking 'em.

As far as canned salmon, I've not found anything better than Bear and Wolf. I buy it from Costco but also available on Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/Bear-Wolf-Salmon-Alaskan-6-Count/dp/B003XP5ZEA

naem
May 29, 2011

Fav childhood memory, caught an 18 pound salmon. I was 12, everyone else on the boat was barfing so all 70 pounds of me grabbed the rod out of the down-rigger when we got a hit and almost got pulled out of the boat.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

naem posted:

Fav childhood memory, caught an 18 pound salmon. I was 12, everyone else on the boat was barfing so all 70 pounds of me grabbed the rod out of the down-rigger when we got a hit and almost got pulled out of the boat.

Somebody got to ride shotgun on that drive home.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I have fond memories of being 6 or 7 years old and getting up at 6 am to go out fishing for breakfast at the family lake cabin. My great uncle would take me and my cousins out our little boat with a 6 hp outboard motor to troll for rainbow trout and Silver salmon. We'd come back with fish and then everyone would have fish and pancakes for breakfast. This was in the early 70's.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Salmon loaf patties are also good on a bun with, say, tartar sauce and lettuce like a white-fish sammich. Not sure how Dad that is, but I like 'em fine. If you can get FRESH parsley, use it!

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Salmon loaf patties are also good on a bun with, say, tartar sauce and lettuce like a white-fish sammich. Not sure how Dad that is, but I like 'em fine. If you can get FRESH parsley, use it!

If I'm on death row, a white fish sammich is definitely on my short list for 'last meal'.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I am dad as all gently caress and this thread is totally rad. Got me some 'dines. Ate some last night with 'tines and hotsauce.

Anyone a fan of the HOT TITUS? Haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Also, the GWS Facebook Illuminati are monitoring this thread and pronounce it fuckin awesome.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

pr0k posted:

I am dad as all gently caress and this thread is totally rad. Got me some 'dines. Ate some last night with 'tines and hotsauce.

Anyone a fan of the HOT TITUS? Haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Also, the GWS Facebook Illuminati are monitoring this thread and pronounce it fuckin awesome.

Man, I think you might have a problem. This is a safe space, talk it out.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
~twitches~
I can quit any time I want!

Seriously, I had JUST decided to try and like sardines a few weeks ago. Never ate 'em growing up. I like fish, I figure sardines are low in mercury and bad poo poo and whatnot so let's give it a go...and boom, here comes this thread. What are the odds? SO I bought a couple of kinds to try. So far:

HOT TITUS, mixed with lemon juice and capers, eaten on trisciuts

judgement: meh

King Oscar, with horseradish on saltines: meh, kind of bland, tail is weird
ditto with colemans
better with hotsauce

That's as far as I've gotten. I want to try to do something like a pan con tomate (which is delicious with anchovy) and I also want to try a riff on Julia Child's Bouillabaisse with them somehow.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Why is nobody willing to slum it with my Asian sardines? You'll be rewarded I promise you. It's not dad food there, they take it seriously.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

I dropped by my asian grocer for some random ingredients and was overstimulated by their selection of canned fish products.

555 was there though so I'll pick it up next time.

Made spinach/tomato/sardine soup with homegrown tomato and these bad boys:

I took a small bite of them before putting and the soup and holy gently caress they are delicious. Over $3 a can, but hands down the best I've had.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
Sardines on buttered toast is a manly breakfast for manly mans.

I once brought a tin of sardines to work for a lunchtime snack. Once the tin was opened and I had ingested the tasty fishes, the staff of the entire office came in - holding their noses - and told me to never do that again.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

FaradayCage posted:

I dropped by my asian grocer for some random ingredients and was overstimulated by their selection of canned fish products.

555 was there though so I'll pick it up next time.

Made spinach/tomato/sardine soup with homegrown tomato and these bad boys:

I took a small bite of them before putting and the soup and holy gently caress they are delicious. Over $3 a can, but hands down the best I've had.

I like that you put the basil in last. Just from the picture,I know you know how to cook. Very nice.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Gristle McThornBody posted:

As far as canned salmon, I've not found anything better than Bear and Wolf. I buy it from Costco but also available on Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/Bear-Wolf-Salmon-Alaskan-6-Count/dp/B003XP5ZEA

Yeah but that stuff's weighing in at 26 bux per pound. "Fresh" (thawed @ grocery) stuff is a fraction of the price and cooking it at home is pretty quick and easy. Thanks for the recommendation, though. If I ever want to try it again, I'll make sure to get a can of Bear and Wolf.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

whoever was asking about oysters i already told you like 4 pages ago.

buy smoked oysters, drain of oil and rinse in water to remove stinky oil. Put that poo poo on some paper towels to soak up the water/oil. Transfer to plate.

Apply copious amounts of favorite hot sauce (I like Frank's Red Hot on oysters), eat on on saltines, Ritz, whatever.

If you like strong flavors put a thin slice of sharp cheddar cheese in between the cracker and the sauced oyster.

poo poo's delicious.

Yes its normal for the oysters to be slightly green (they eat algae, its safe).

Yes its normal for their to be a tender part and a chewy part of oyster. Its okay. Mostly its going to be the soft bit, but the "lips" that grip the shell are slightly chewy.

Sometimes if I'm drunk I mash the oysters up with hot sauce into a paste and just spread it onto saltines as a "pate". About as healthy as drunk food gets.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Bela are great. The cayenne olive oil variety is really good. You only get like 3 fish per can but they're huge. No tails either. Also chipotle Cholula is delicious as the smokiness of the pepper really compliments the light smoke flavor of the fish.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Bela are great. The cayenne olive oil variety is really good. You only get like 3 fish per can but they're huge. No tails either. Also chipotle Cholula is delicious as the smokiness of the pepper really compliments the light smoke flavor of the fish.

Yeah the pictured Belas are by far the tastiest example of canned sardines I've had so far (only a sample size of about six). They are $3.50 at my neighborhood store so a bit pricey. They have like four different varieties of Bela so I'll need to try the others.

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 10, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

pr0k posted:

King Oscar, with horseradish on saltines: meh, kind of bland, tail is weird
ditto with colemans
better with hotsauce

That's as far as I've gotten. I want to try to do something like a pan con tomate (which is delicious with anchovy) and I also want to try a riff on Julia Child's Bouillabaisse with them somehow.

Man, if you ain't feelin' the K.O.s, I hate to say it, but the sardine life might not be for you.

naem
May 29, 2011

Cream cheese on the wasa helps a lot, then the dine and the horseradish.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

pr0k posted:

HOT TITUS, mixed with lemon juice and capers, eaten on trisciuts

a Hot Titus sounds like something you pay a Jersey hooker an extra hundred bucks for

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
Thanks to this thread I now have a healthy but expensive obsession with eating King Oscars Sardines. On bread, with guacemole or with aioli. I also tried the cheaper variants, but they are not as good :( I need my sardines drenched in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or it is no good

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

hhhmmm posted:

Thanks to this thread I now have a healthy but expensive obsession with eating King Oscars Sardines. On bread, with guacemole or with aioli. I also tried the cheaper variants, but they are not as good :( I need my sardines drenched in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or it is no good
Congratulations. You have shown excellent taste, and they're good for you.

Embrace your inner Dad.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Myron Baloney posted:

That's some good stuff. My variation on that involves coarse saltine crumbs and making it into patties that get fried in olive oil.

My Polish grandfather used crushed saltines instead of breadcrumbs exclusively, in any recipe that called for them.
I did not mention this, thinking no one would appreciate it.

Crushed Saltines, the poor man's panko. I heartily endorse their use.

edit: also, don't fry anything in olive oil. Olive oil has a very low smoking-point and should never be heated to it. Use vegetable, peanut oil, or Crisco to fry things. If you're frying things in olive oil you're flat out doing it wrong. You're either burning the oil to fry things, or you're frying things at way, WAY too low a temperature. Don't do it ever.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 10, 2014

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
What do you do with sardines in tomato? I bought some Alshark brand Moroccan sardines solely because of the name.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

My Polish grandfather used crushed saltines instead of breadcrumbs exclusively, in any recipe that called for them.
I did not mention this, thinking no one would appreciate it.

Crushed Saltines, the poor man's panko. I heartily endorse their use.

edit: also, don't fry anything in olive oil. Olive oil has a very low smoking-point and should never be heated to it. Use vegetable, peanut oil, or Crisco to fry things. If you're frying things in olive oil you're flat out doing it wrong. You're either burning the oil to fry things, or you're frying things at way, WAY too low a temperature. Don't do it ever.

there are different kinds of olive oil. you're fine as long as you don't use the extra virgin one. refinde olive oil is perfectly fine for frying.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

ashgromnies posted:

What do you do with sardines in tomato? I bought some Alshark brand Moroccan sardines solely because of the name.

I put them on bread and eat them straight up. Avocado is a killer compliment also.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Splurged tonight. One is in olive oil with cayenne pepper and the other is in olive oil with lemon.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Ate some angelo parodi sardines with rice and onion for dinner tonight. Satisfying and tasty. Would dad again.

vvv rock on wit' yo dad self

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 11, 2014

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

After being a weenie I just manned up and popped a tin of KO's in extra virgin olive oil and just ate a few like shrimp then threw some more on toast with some hot sauce. These are great, finally daddin it up

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Can I get these wondrous KO dines in the UK? I haven't seen any in the shops whenever I'm looking out for canned fish products.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
I made sardine bruschetta for lunch and they were delicious. Who'd have thought such good ideas would ever come out of GBS?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Kurvi Tasch posted:

I made sardine bruschetta for lunch and they were delicious. Who'd have thought such good ideas would ever come out of GBS?

Tomatoes, basil ,and sardines with some acidic juice; Sublime.

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
Okay thread, you sold me these tasty bastards. Bon appétit.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
Ok this is what my local wegmans' theoretically has on the shelf. Pls recommend -

Bumble Bee Sardines in Oil

Bumble Bee Sardines in Mustard
King Oscar Sardines, Skinless and Boneless, in Soya Oil
King Oscar Sardines, in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
BB SARDINES IN OIL
BB MUSTARD SARDINE
BUMBLE BEE HOT SC SARDINE
KING OSCAR PREM SAR MED
BB SARDINE IN WATER
Bar Harbor Sardine Fillets, Skinless, Boneless Smoked
KING OSCAR PREM SAR WATER
KING OSCAR TMTO SARDINE
Bumble Bee Sardines in Hot Sauce
King Oscar Sardines, Mediterranean Style, One Layer
BUMBLE BEE OIL SARDINE
KING OSCAR PR SAR SKN BNL
BB FANCY WHOLE OYSTERS
Bar Harbor Wild Kippers, Smoked
Bumble Bee Sardines in Water
Brunswick Seafood Snacks Boneless Herring Filets, Kippered
BRUNSWICK SMK KIP SNACK

PS eat canned eel err'y day

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I don't like canned eel at all. It's a waste of a fantastic fish like thing. Roast that motherfucker to get the best out of it.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
I have never see\have no idea where I would get fresh eel.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Bad Sneakers posted:

I have never see\have no idea where I would get fresh eel.

every sushi restaurant

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Haverchuck posted:

every sushi restaurant

sadly eel is bad to eat sustainability wise. it's super delicious so i dont avoid it all together but it's a once or twice a year thing for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I think youre really not supposed to eat anything but sardines and squid, from a sustainability standpoint

• Locked thread