Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

kastein posted:

I suppose the thing starting up and bouncing off the rev limiter would make a pretty sweet alarm clock. Not gonna sleep through that one.

You're assuming that all the computers and wiring harnesses haven't been immersed in water. I'd be surprised if they could start predictably after that; imagine trying to explain that to your boss..."Sorry sir, my alarm clock's ECU wigged out and it didn't start this morning."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MrChips posted:

You're assuming that all the computers and wiring harnesses haven't been immersed in water. I'd be surprised if they could start predictably after that; imagine trying to explain that to your boss..."Sorry sir, my alarm clock's ECU wigged out and it didn't start this morning."

Yeah, I know :( the wiring is probably turned completely into green dust, especially if the battery was hooked up and/or it was saltwater.

I don't think that excuse would go over very well, especially seeing as I'm the EE leading the wiring harness/electrical subsystem design project for a small automotive/aerospace company :haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is actually kinda impressive

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
He hits the car behind every single time though :psyduck:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Which is why it's in the terrible car stuff thread :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

AirRaid posted:

He hits the car behind every single time though :psyduck:

Parking by Braille, it's the New Yorker way

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's the same anywhere in the world where street parking is at a premium.

It doesn't actually do a lot of damage unless the car has a towbar - my own car will have been hit hundreds of times like that and all the noticeable stuff is clearly from towbars or bullbars

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

dissss posted:

It's the same anywhere in the world where street parking is at a premium.

It doesn't actually do a lot of damage unless the car has a towbar - my own car will have been hit hundreds of times like that and all the noticeable stuff is clearly from towbars or bullbars

The amount of cars around los angeles with license plate bolt imprints in their bumpers (including mine, because assholes try to fit) would like to disagree with that statement.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
License plates tend to be attached with normal screws here - you have to hit pretty hard to make any real impression.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's expected in places like NYC but people do it elsewhere as well, around here it's mostly out of laziness. At least here nearly everyone is courteous and won't do that to "nice" cars at least, but it only takes one. Then again, I suppose that's what keys/knives/valve stem removers are for.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

dissss posted:

Yeah the several gouges in my rear bumper from plate screws would like to disagree.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
The two reasons I will never own a nice car: Money, and other people. Not particularly in that order either.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Guinness posted:

Yeah the several gouges in my rear bumper from plate screws would like to disagree.

Bigger trucks in NYC do it and will cave half your car in, unload, and flee without a care in the world. My sister's car nearly ended up totalled by one of these jokers. The idea that it's a harmless tactic is nonsense.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
There was a pic posted somewhere here a long time ago of a car (like some sort of BMW or similar luxury car) with a giant padded leather rear bumper pillow and the only thing people could figure out was it must have been for parking by braille. Found it: http://www.bumperpad.com/ every car on the website has either New York or New Jersey plates

If I lived in NYC I would definitely have spiked bull bars on the front and rear of my vehicle.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 10, 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Slavvy posted:

Do astons still have a steel floorpan?

No, the VH platform is an extruded and bonded aluminium chassis, similar to the Lotus Elise.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Crotch Fruit posted:

There was a pic posted somewhere here a long time ago of a car (like some sort of BMW or similar luxury car) with a giant padded leather rear bumper pillow and the only thing people could figure out was it must have been for parking by braille. Found it: http://www.bumperpad.com/ every car on the website has either New York or New Jersey plates

If I lived in NYC I would definitely have spiked bull bars on the front and rear of my vehicle.

I've seen those where they have literally just been the treads of old tires.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

Do you really want to start that arms race?

"Mr President, we must not allow a bumper gap!"

Although it's the lack of bumper gap that's starting the problem in the first place I suppose.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Would it kill people to just buy smaller cars, if they have to park in the city every day?

drgitlin posted:

No, the VH platform is an extruded and bonded aluminium chassis, similar to the Lotus Elise.

Then I don't see why flood damaged vehicles would be getting written off. Yes, wiring and modules are expensive, but not that expensive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slavvy posted:

Then I don't see why flood damaged vehicles would be getting written off. Yes, wiring and modules are expensive, but not that expensive.

The labor required to disassemble, rewire, and then reassemble a modern car would be astounding. Certainly more than it costs to replace, and that's before you even get into the reliability of a vehicle that was rewired by a mechanic, and not by a trained factory worker, who does three or four an hour.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

The labor required to disassemble, rewire, and then reassemble a modern car would be astounding. Certainly more than it costs to replace, and that's before you even get into the reliability of a vehicle that was rewired by a mechanic, and not by a trained factory worker, who does three or four an hour.

I'd trust a car rebuilt by a mechanic far more than one built in a modern factory.

I was watching the undercover boss thing in the mack trucks factory, the woman bolting down parts of the cylinder head didn't know what her tools, or any part of the engine she was assembling were called.

This is how cars end up leaving the factory without brake pads, or with small rear brake rotors bolted into large front brake calipers. they're built by the cheapest uneducated labour who just turns the 20 bolts they're told to turn, rather than someone interested in putting a car together.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Aluminum will still corrode in the presence of dissimilar metals, and besides, there's a tremendous amount of car that isn't the aluminum frame, is ruined by water exposure, and is not cost-effective to replace vice the insurance writeoff - the entire interior, for example.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just hate throwing cool stuff in the bin, I guess. I once bought a BMW engine that I didn't need because it was an entire engine, 200 kilos of engineering cleverness and harnessed resources and potential horsepower just sitting on the floor in my garage for the measly sum of $150. It seemed like an enormous waste of a cool machine that does Stuff. :shobon:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Would it kill people to just buy smaller cars, if they have to park in the city every day?

The same thing would happen, you'd just fit more cars in the same space.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

I just hate throwing cool stuff in the bin, I guess. I once bought a BMW engine that I didn't need because it was an entire engine, 200 kilos of engineering cleverness and harnessed resources and potential horsepower just sitting on the floor in my garage for the measly sum of $150. It seemed like an enormous waste of a cool machine that does Stuff. :shobon:

You. I like you :)

I think normal people call this hoarding, but they just don't understand...

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Slavvy posted:

People have been sold the idea that driving smaller cars is un-American.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Those are wood screws holding in that gas cap cover.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This might be terrible car poo poo but no one ever bashed into my truck when I parked it on the street in NYC. Ever. Not even a little bit.

... at least, I never found any bits of their cars stuck to my bumper... :haw:

Your move NYC drivers. Make my day.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Powershift posted:

I'd trust a car rebuilt by a mechanic far more than one built in a modern factory.

I was watching the undercover boss thing in the mack trucks factory, the woman bolting down parts of the cylinder head didn't know what her tools, or any part of the engine she was assembling were called.

This is how cars end up leaving the factory without brake pads, or with small rear brake rotors bolted into large front brake calipers. they're built by the cheapest uneducated labour who just turns the 20 bolts they're told to turn, rather than someone interested in putting a car together.

I could rant about the poo poo I go through with factory workers to get things (not cars, but electromechanical devices) assembled correctly. But at the end of the day, I don't care if they know what the parts are called, as long as they follow the incredibly explicit work instructions our manufacturing engineers write. Yeah, it's true we don't pay engineering technician wage to assembly line workers, but nobody is going to buy a product that costs today's cost times two.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

the woman bolting down parts of the cylinder head didn't know what her tools, or any part of the engine she was assembling were called.

That is entirely irrelevant.

Powershift posted:

No, it's not. This happens because of poor factory procedure and QC checks.

In a volume operation people are just robots. They don't need to know what things are called any more than a robot does. They just need to do their very small, very simple, very monotonous and soul crushing job correctly the same way every time.

In a properly functioning system this produces much higher repeatability than any individual, regardless of how much they know.

Henry Ford figured this out sometime before 1913.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

In a volume operation people are just robots. They don't need to know what things are called any more than a robot does. They just need to do their very small, very simple, very monotonous and soul crushing job correctly the same way every time.

In a properly functioning system this produces much higher repeatability than any individual, regardless of how much they know.

Someone with basic knowledge of what they're working on could spot problems or errors with what was done before them. The guy bolting the wheels on could tell the brake pads are missing or the rotors are too small, and alert somebody before 5000 cars hit the road without them. The guy putting finishing touches under the hood could tell that the latch is missing before 120k trucks leave without it.

I'm not saying everybody doing menial tasks on the line needs to be a certified mechanic, but if they don't know what a wrench or a rocker arm is when they're working on an engine, they still seem woefully undertrained.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Motronic posted:

That is a properly functioning system developed in 1913 for cranking out cheap, identical cars. It has nothing to do with quality.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Powershift posted:

Someone with basic knowledge of what they're working on could spot problems or errors with what was done before them. The guy bolting the wheels on could tell the brake pads are missing or the rotors are too small, and alert somebody before 5000 cars hit the road without them. The guy putting finishing touches under the hood could tell that the latch is missing before 120k trucks leave without it.

I'm not saying everybody doing menial tasks on the line needs to be a certified mechanic, but if they don't know what a wrench or a rocker arm is when they're working on an engine, they still seem woefully undertrained.

For various reasons this is bad for consumers; least of which would be the cost of training (which would be irrelevant to the job) being passed onto the buyers.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Motronic posted:

Increasingly the people who are robots actually are robots, which has even greater benefit for QC (no differences between shifts, etc.) It makes sense because it's pretty much just a Chinese Room problem anyway.

And recognizing "Hey, this doesn't look like the last 3000 assemblies I touched" requires zero knowledge or understanding of the items involved, only attention to detail, which the machine also excels at.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

I get how it "seems" this way, but it's pretty obvious you've never worked in a factory. Explaining how those things work is well beyond something that can be posted. There is an entire discipline and spec built around this concept. Google ISO 9000 to get started.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

That is a properly functioning system developed in 1913 for cranking out cheap, identical cars. It has nothing to do with quality.

It has everything to with REPEATABILITY, which is what I said. I did not say quality as that comes from factors that happen outside of the production line.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Increasingly the people who are robots actually are robots, which has even greater benefit for QC (no differences between shifts, etc.) It makes sense because it's pretty much just a Chinese Room problem anyway.

And recognizing "Hey, this doesn't look like the last 3000 assemblies I touched" requires zero knowledge or understanding of the items involved, only attention to detail, which the machine also excels at.

As someone who is a production supervisor that has control over 2nd shift at a assembly plant I've had to deal with people realizing that something doesn't look right, but won't speak up. 15 hours of wasted production loving later....

Should I start telling stories about when I first started that there was no training manuals, LOCK OUT TAG OUT, severe weather policies, downtime logs, rework procedures, or up to date written QC processes? Want to know how much fun it is to create that poo poo out of thin air?

:shepicide: :shepicide:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

G-Mach posted:

[no] LOCK OUT TAG OUT

Everything else was bad but WHAT THE gently caress!

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Galler posted:

Everything else was bad but WHAT THE gently caress!

THREE PHASE EQUIPMENT ON THE PRODUCTION FLOOR!

NO ASSET LISTS, NO PLANNED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE, WOODEN TABLES IN A OPEN FOOD ENVIRONMENT!

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

G-Mach posted:

THREE PHASE EQUIPMENT ON THE PRODUCTION FLOOR!

NO ASSET LISTS, NO PLANNED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE, WOODEN TABLES IN A OPEN FOOD ENVIRONMENT!

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

I hate everything you said.

Not having a manual is just loving lazy business 101. Even if you just pay lipservice to your training and indoc, having a manual AT VERY LEAST puts in writing the poo poo people shouldn't do, so when Joe Jaggoff fucks up and maims Bob Blowme, Joe can get fired instead of getting the company sued.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

G-Mach posted:

As someone who is a production supervisor that has control over 2nd shift at a assembly plant I've had to deal with people realizing that something doesn't look right, but won't speak up. 15 hours of wasted production loving later....

Should I start telling stories about when I first started that there was no training manuals, LOCK OUT TAG OUT, severe weather policies, downtime logs, rework procedures, or up to date written QC processes? Want to know how much fun it is to create that poo poo out of thin air?

:shepicide: :shepicide:

Honestly, I think you should because this stuff is fascinating and would enlighten a huge number of people on here as to why cars are the way they are, why manufacturers do the things they do, and why noone, least of all the car companies, gives any kind of a gently caress about the tiny number of people who bitch about cars being hard to work on/badly made.