Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

twoot posted:

Britain First Political Election Broadcast 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYDKaUiYKVk

:magical:

This was everything I hoped it would be and more, the comments are also glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

StoneOfShame posted:

This was everything I hoped it would be and more, the comments are also glorious.

Loved how they showed the Belfast Flag Protests.
Got gently caress all to do with Islam, but you have to throw a bone to the extremists on your own side hopefully for support.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Look at all these mad liberals actually believing racism has been relevant since Nelson Mandela

GOD SAVE OUR COUNRTY 

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Loved how they showed the Belfast Flag Protests.
Got gently caress all to do with Islam, but you have to throw a bone to the extremists on your own side hopefully for support.

There's only two sorts of people in this world proud Brits and Islams!!! In all seriousness though its hardly surprising, there's been a long historical link between loyalist paramilitary groups and extreme right wing British groups. The UVF and Combat 18 were pretty close back in the day.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Watching HIGNFY they were saying that a government department was set up last year, called the horizon scanning programme, comprising of four people who look into the future to identify threats and opportunities for the UK.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

What the gently caress?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

spikenigma posted:

If caught in a lie ,double down and shift those pesky goalposts. It's the UKMT way :)

I'm done.

At least beef's trolls are amusing, this is pathetic.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Were there this many right wing racism-orientated parties in the last EU election? I'm pretty sure I remember it being Lab, Lib, Con, UKIP and BNP and that's it, now we seem to have 5 or 6 parties pandering to the 'dem muslims :bahgawd:' vote

(part of me hopes it splinters the votes enough to damage the UKIP representation, but its still scary)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A month ago, it turned out that the failures of the free-school system had reached the point where Gove was earmarking extra funds to support failing free schools and avoid the 'political ramifications' of another disaster like Madinah.

Now we know where he's getting that money from.

quote:

The coalition government has descended into open war on education as senior Liberal Democrats said Michael Gove had raided £400m from a fund that guarantees school places for pupils in order to plug a massive financial "black hole" in his free schools programme.

In a dramatic escalation of tensions, the Lib Dems confirmed highly damaging leaked information from a senior government source, who said that Gove had secretly taken the money from the Basic Need fund for local authorities last December, in the face of stiff opposition from the Lib Dem schools minister David Laws.

The Basic Need budget is given to local authorities to ensure that they can provide sufficient school places for all children in their area and it is crucial when there is heavy pressure on pupil numbers.

The government source behind the revelations tore into Gove, describing him as a "zealot … so ideologically obsessed with his free school experiment [that] he's willing to see children struggle to get suitable school places". This was done, said the source, because Gove had let the free school budget spin "out of control".

Last month this newspaper revealed a secret plan to focus support on failing free schools because of the "political ramifications of any more free schools being judged inadequate".

The Lib Dems said the leaked information from the heart of government was accurate and the secretary of state had pressed ahead in order to try to fill an £800m projected "black hole" in spending on free schools between 2013 and 2016.

A spokesman for Gove did not deny that the Basic Need budget had been raided, but said that the free schools budget was "demand-led". He claimed that providing more money for free schools allowed more places to be created, although the public accounts committee recently reported that a quarter of free schools opened by September 2012 had 20% fewer pupils than planned.

The spokesman added: "The suggestion we are cutting money for new places in areas of need to pay for free schools where they are not needed is totally wrong. These claims pretend that money spent in free schools is not creating new places in areas of need. That is simply not true."

The revelation will take strained relations between the Conservatives and Nick Clegg – a close ally and friend of Laws – to breaking point: there were blazing rows last week over coalition policy on free school meals and on knife crime.

According to the coalition insider, the £400m would be enough to fund 30,000 new school places, and would do much to ease pressure in areas where parents struggle to find places. It is understood that Gove tried to make up the remaining shortfall by using a further £400m underspent from other departmental budgets.

Laws is said to have been strongly against the move because the raid reduced the Basic Need budget for 2015-2017 from £2.75bn to £2.35bn.

The coalition source added: "Everybody knows there's real pressure on school places at the moment and the secretary of state knows better than most. It is nothing short of lunacy to slash the amount of money available for new school places to lavish on free schools. The Conservatives are putting the needs of a handful of their pet projects ahead of the requirements of the other 24,000 schools in the country.

"Michael Gove is so dogmatic about free schools, he essentially places no spending restrictions on them at all. The free schools budget is out of control and the secretary of state would rather sink another £800m into the black hole, rather than rein in spending."

Shadow education secretary Tristram Hunt said the Lib Dems could not run away from blame: "The Free School programme had the Lib Dem stamp of approval from day one. They're as much to blame for the failings as the Tories. Gove's decision to transfer this funding away from areas in need of new primary places into the Free School programme is an act of ideological vandalism."

A number of free schools, which can be set up by parents and others outside the supervision of local authorities, have been given the lowest ranking by Ofsted in recent months, raising concerns about the programme's future.

This month's damning report on The Hawthorne's free school in Liverpool means twice as many free schools have been given Ofsted's "inadequate" rating as other state schools.Analysis by the Times Educational Supplement has shown that 11% of free schools were inadequate, compared with 6% of all state schools, although a higher proportion of free schools – 15% – were also judged outstanding. Overall, 45 Ofsted reports on free schools have been published, of which seven were outstanding, 23 good, 10 required improvement and five inadequate.So far 174 free schools have been opened, with a further 116 in the pipeline. Ministers have earmarked £1.5bn for the free schools project by March 2015 – and £1.1bn has already been spent. An £800m deficit would be huge for a government trying to rein in spending. Among the schools judged as "requiring improvement" in recent months (the second lowest Ofsted ranking) is Greenwich free school, whose co-founder is Jonathan Simons, the head of education at Michael Gove's favourite thinktank, Policy Exchange.

Bedford free school, previously praised by Gove as "academically ambitious", was also found to require improvement earlier this year. Ofsted insiders said they feared the reporting of more failing free schools would follow in the weeks and months to come.

The spokesman for Gove added: "From 2015, funding to councils for new school places will rise by more than £200m a year. On top of this, investment in free schools will provide tens of thousands of new places in areas of need.

"Indeed the vast majority of free schools - more than seven in 10 - are in areas with a shortage of places. This investment in free schools is entirely in addition to the rising basic need funding for councils which we announced in December.

"Free schools are hugely popular with parents and are more likely to receive top ratings from Ofsted than council-run schools. So it is absolutely right that, where they are needed, new places are created in free schools."

Fucker doesn't even deny it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SybilVimes posted:

Were there this many right wing racism-orientated parties in the last EU election? I'm pretty sure I remember it being Lab, Lib, Con, UKIP and BNP and that's it, now we seem to have 5 or 6 parties pandering to the 'dem muslims :bahgawd:' vote

(part of me hopes it splinters the votes enough to damage the UKIP representation, but its still scary)

I don't remember the general racism and xenophobia being such a big part of the national conversation though, although maybe I'm just blocking it out. The whole 'dem islams, dem immigants' angle has massive currency, the major parties are all trading on it and the media is running with it. Everything's just shifted in that direction, it's a symptom of how poo poo things are

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I suspect there's nothing 'free' about free schools.

Also, do people attend them get called 'freeschoolers'?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

twoot posted:

Britain First Political Election Broadcast 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYDKaUiYKVk

This was painful to watch, but then I put Yackety Sax on in another tab and it became the best thing ever. I think I'm going to do this for all political youtube videos from now on, I might escape the next election cycle with most of my sanity intact.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

Both Britain First and An Independence From Europe are splinters from the BNP and UKIP respectively. No2EU seems to be a left wing, less xenophobic based party that just wants out of the EU rather than protecting the homeland.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

El Scotch posted:

I suspect there's nothing 'free' about free schools.

Also, do people attend them get called 'freeschoolers'?

It's "free as in libre" - they're "free" from the shackles of regulation, requirements for credentials, and the rules on religious indoctrination.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

QuantumCrayons posted:

Both Britain First and An Independence From Europe are splinters from the BNP and UKIP respectively. No2EU seems to be a left wing, less xenophobic based party that just wants out of the EU rather than protecting the homeland.

10 options here, AIFE, BNP, Con, English Democrats, Greens, Labour, Lib Dems, NO2EU, UKIP and Yorkshire First

so many choices and so much racism.

Jesus loving christ, our green candidate for local elections is called 'Bluebell New Jerusalem Eikonoklastes'

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 10, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yorkshire First

quote:

Bluebell New Jerusalem Eikonoklastes

There's a lot to say about this.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Yorkshire First

They're actually not a bad option - they want to represent yorkshire's interests rather than the UK, (longer term they think yorkshire has as much right to independance from the UK as scotland, which is a bit crazy, but for EU representation they seem ok)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SybilVimes posted:

10 options here, AIFE, BNP, Con, English Democrats, Greens, Labour, Lib Dems, NO2EU, UKIP and Yorkshire First

so many choices and so much racism.

You guys actually voted the ED #1 pick as a BNP councillor to the city council so y'all can't complain. :colbert:

e: Christ, I've seen who your Labour candidate in your ward is. I'd rather the Morley Independents win than Mark "loving" Sewards.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

QuantumCrayons posted:

No2EU have pretty solid left-wing credentials, with most of the non-poo poo hard left involved. While their platform is pretty much "Let's use all the scare stories about Brussels to try and get people to listen to us", there are pretty solid reasons to dislike the EU. It enforces neoliberal orthodoxy both indirectly - with expansion and freedom of movement of workers being used as a way to depress wages across the EU12 and freedom of movement of money encouraging a race to the bottom on national tax policies - and very much directly - just ask Greece. EU agricultural policies are massively damaging to developing economies, and it acts as a cartel to try and prevent any competition from outside the EU affecting bottom lines.

Even if you're absolutely on board with the European Ideal, the actual European Union is bloated, massively corrupt, and generally about the worst possible way of implementing that ideal.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

TinTower posted:

You guys actually voted the ED #1 pick as a BNP councillor to the city council so y'all can't complain. :colbert:

e: Christ, I've seen who your Labour candidate in your ward is. I'd rather the Morley Independents win than Mark "loving" Sewards.

Varley literally stole candy from orphans, there again, that was before she was elected last so, :shrug:

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Here in the West Midlands we have something called The Harmony Party standing, the only information I can find on them is the 'Anti-immigration, anti-EU, pro-jobs' slogan under there name, they dont appear to have a website to find out more but that doesn't sound very harmonious to me. gently caress it, the Green Party will be more than likely getting my vote anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Yorkshire First

That's nothing, we've got a Tower Hamlets First candidate for mayor. Unfortunately his platform does not include the annexation of Newham and the forced repatriation of undesirables to Hackney.

Also half a dozen "Independents" who are the shrapnel from the now 15-year-old political bunfight in the Bangladeshi community that gave us the rise and spectacular fall of George Galloway and Respect, accusations of terrorist links for everyone who's ever set foot in a council building, and more hysterical Daily Mail headlines than anything not involving a tunnel in Paris.

Oh, and TUSC, who are very nice people but as politically relevant here, home of the Dockers Tanner Strike, Bow Matchgirls Strike, and Poplar Rates Rebellion and former stomping ground of George Lansbury, Kier Hardie, and Clement Attlee (and Stalin, Lenin and Trotsky, at least for a couple of weeks, for that matter) as The Whigs. :smith:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

StoneOfShame posted:

Here in the West Midlands we have something called The Harmony Party standing, the only information I can find on them is the 'Anti-immigration, anti-EU, pro-jobs' slogan under there name, they dont appear to have a website to find out more but that doesn't sound very harmonious to me. gently caress it, the Green Party will be more than likely getting my vote anyway.

Pro-jobs? That's good to know. For a second I thought they were taking a stand against jobs. I too am in favour of jobs being a thing that people are able to have at the moment. Where do I sign up?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

Yorkshire First
God's own political party :colbert:

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Angepain posted:

Pro-jobs? That's good to know. For a second I thought they were taking a stand against jobs. I too am in favour of jobs being a thing that people are able to have at the moment. Where do I sign up?

Hang on I think they actually do have a website, well maybe because it doesn't seem to have the same stance as the claims on their election listing.

http://www.harmonypartyuk.com

There website makes them seen really left wing, wanting to stop people owning multiple properties. Also not anti-Europe or anti-immigration, it doesn't confirm if they're pro-job though so there's still much to be learnt about this mysterious new political force that are most certainly not going to go nowhere.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The best we can hope for from this election is that the vote is split between the different anti-Europe parties and they lose out on MEPs compared to the larger, less divided parties. Probably not going to happen, but it's something to hope for.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

It's "free as in libre" - they're "free" from the shackles of regulation, requirements for credentials, and the rules on religious indoctrination.

Imagine the good that could have been done with all that money if Gove hadn't been allowed to waste it setting up a shadow education system (Govian academies and free schools).

Round my way, if you're not Catholic, chances are you're going to a Harris academy for secondary school, there's a couple of selective state schools, but Harris has taken over so many comps. They've got their claws into a couple of primaries too, which annoys me, as I'm looking for a primary post but there's no way I'm working in a Harris academy, I've heard too many awful stories about how they treat staff and pupils. I'd rather keep doing supply, which I also hate, rather than work in an academy chain school.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Big nige was on the beeb again. I think he reached pique smugness.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
The charismatic Farage myth is going to be in tatters soon. His showing on Sunday Politics shows he is going to be abysmal as soon as debate expands beyond catchy EU boogy-men sound bytes.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

djf posted:

The charismatic Farage myth is going to be in tatters soon. His showing on Sunday Politics shows he is going to be abysmal as soon as debate expands beyond catchy EU boogy-men sound bytes.

Yeah, whenever he's interviewed, it's always on the EU, immigration or how much he likes beer. As soon as people ask about economy, energy, welfare etc. UKIP's terrible, unthought policies will show and hopefully folks will take notice.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
"I like UKIP, I thought Europe was a bad idea even as a child"

- My girlfriend's dad.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hah the Scottish Tory Youth national conference had to be cancelled due to lack of interest, they only sold 12 tickets.

Soon they'll all be extinct.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I felt a great disturbance in the force - it's Peter Hitchens arguing for Rail renationalisation in today's Mail.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

Hah the Scottish Tory Youth national conference had to be cancelled due to lack of interest, they only sold 12 tickets.

Soon they'll all be extinct.

Young Scottish Tories are terrifying things. Vicious, evil and gleeful about the horrors that Thatcher was only too happy to dish out. Glad they're such a rare breed.

Although if 10% want to vote for UKIP then I wouldn't be surprised if they just all migrated party.

twoot posted:

I felt a great disturbance in the force - it's Peter Hitchens arguing for Rail renationalisation in today's Mail.

Even the slowest horse will eventually cross the finish line.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Scottish Tories do exist.

They're called the Labour Party.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TinTower posted:

Scottish Tories do exist.

"But Labour are Left wing :confused:" is the exact reaction of everyone I've ever met who talked about voting Labour in Scotland.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TinTower posted:

During its last tenure in government, the Labour party invested heavily in the NHS, the education system, and social housing, and also significantly expanded the welfare state via the tax credit system.

Tories indeed.

e - per the IFS:

quote:

Tax and benefit changes implemented between May 1997 and April 2010 represent a net
‘takeaway’ from the public or a boost to the government’s finances of £7.1 billion, costing
each household about £270, on average, in 2010---11, relative to the conventional ‘unchanged
policy’ baseline the Treasury uses in Budgets and Pre-Budget Reports.
• The £7.5 billion ‘giveaway’ in Labour’s first term and the £6.4 billion ‘takeaway’ in its second
were highly progressive relative to this same ‘unchanged policy’ baseline, significantly
reducing the incomes of richer households and increasing those of poorer ones. The £8.1
billion takeaway in Labour’s third term comes mostly from the richest households, with the
incomes of the rest little changed on average.
• Labour’s measures have particularly benefited low-income families with children and
pensioners receiving tax credits or means-tested benefits.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
b-b-b-b-but blair and neoliberals and and and

Fluo
May 25, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

During its last tenure in government, the Labour party invested heavily in the NHS, the education system, and social housing, and also significantly expanded the welfare state via the tax credit system.

Tories indeed.

e - per the IFS:

Don't forget minimum wage and because of the NHS investment WHO declared English mental health services the best in Europe.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 11, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hi LemonDrizzle we are specifically talking about Scottish Labour here who have a solid record of being lovely as hell.

But hey feel free to continue talking bollocks if you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Does that apply to Scottish Labour, though? I'm aware that the same party can have a different culture in different regions, and Scottish Labour have quite a rep as toxic shitheels.

• Locked thread