Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

WarLocke posted:

So as a player that likes to take my time and explore/see everything in a new game, two quick questions:

1) Are the open beta characters going to be wiped at the end, or is it just a matter or upgrading to retail and picking up where you left off?

and

2) Can you outright 'out-level' stuff and be unable to go back and do it later? I've played other MMOs that would just lock you out of quests and whatever else if you were too high for them, which ended up feeling like I was being 'punished' for wanting to explore instead of simply rushing along the leveling treadmill.

There will be a wipe before the game goes live. As for your other question the only area you can outlevel is the 1-3 starting ship, everything else you can go back to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

funkmeister posted:

for GMG, the code is on the site, but just fyi 25% off:
ALFIS4-GRATZ0-025GMG
expires 5-12
Okay, cool. Looks like I have until 9 AM on Monday to decide whether or not I'm gonna buy this. Really the biggest thing holding me back right now is that it runs pretty shittily on my PC.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lant posted:

There will be a wipe before the game goes live. As for your other question the only area you can outlevel is the 1-3 starting ship, everything else you can go back to.

Okay then, in that cse is one of the factions 'better' than the other? If my beta character is going to be wiped maybe I should make it on the faction I won't be playing at release.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

WarLocke posted:

Okay then, in that cse is one of the factions 'better' than the other? If my beta character is going to be wiped maybe I should make it on the faction I won't be playing at release.

Exiles have Aurin so that rates playing Exile about the same as having testicular cancer.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Jandipoo posted:

Exiles have Aurin so that rates playing Exile about the same as having testicular cancer.

Lotta goons with ball cancer.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Phrasing posted:

Lotta goons with ball cancer.

Not like goons use them anyway so no big deal.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
So in my first few hours of Housing I became rather disappointed in how small the houses actually were. Even though they looked good, there wasn't much room for personality to really be shown in the design of the house itself outside of picking certain races, and the Level 36 upgrades seemed hardly to be an improvement. See here, someone's lame, tiny Cassian "house":

As a result, I took it upon myself this afternoon to make my own simple house from a blank plot to conserve space and maximize potential.

Here's a picture from outside. I used 4 Chua Floor items and 7 Chua Wall items to create the basic surrounding. I plan to expand towards a second floor, as well, because why not, so I have yet to install a roof.

A picture from inside, showing off the amazing Bad Rats icon as well.

Thoughts: Chua Decor items blow for the purpose of walls and floors. If someone wanted to do this, Cassian floors and Granok walls look a lot better. Additionally, don't make your house at an angle, it complicates the alignment way too much. Definitely a feasible option; ultimately, the primary issue is the fact that the blank plot just has a ton of poo poo around it, which is why I put the floors elevated in the air. You can see bricks and stuff I couldn't remove. Unfortunate. However, just from this building session, I have roughly twice as large a house as anyone using a "Cozy X House".

I need more money so I can buy stuff to cover up the ugly walls, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are Espers powerful enough in DPS/Healing to warrant their fiddliness? Lot of static abilities and cooldown juggling going on.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

WarLocke posted:

After playing through the beginning levelling content a few times, my opinion is the Exile zones are better designed than the Dominion ones. Celestion in particular seems like its had the most effort put into it, and the questing flow seems very natural, where in the equivalent Dominion zones it feels like I have to run between a bunch of spread out locations more often.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
1. Medic is a ton of fun. Cleverly combining the forward and backward blinks means sweet mobility.

2. BijiPlates seems like a necessity for PvP, but I can feel it eating my frames per second. The code looks... seriously over-complex, like it has too many loops and branches supporting too many features. That might be a naive assessment, this is the first WildStar addon I've even looked at, but I bet there will be a better nameplate addon soon.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

hit button posted:

After playing through the beginning levelling content a few times, my opinion is the Exile zones are better designed than the Dominion ones. Celestion in particular seems like its had the most effort put into it, and the questing flow seems very natural, where in the equivalent Dominion zones it feels like I have to run between a bunch of spread out locations more often.

For what its worth, I felt like Celestion and Ellevar really sucked in this regard, whilst Deradune and Algoroc were alright. I don't know why but I really cant get into those zones.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
It's kind of weird how different the amount of boring clicking is between the two tutorial ships.

Exiles is like, take quest, run forward to click console, cancel cinematic, run forward to click console, cancel cinematic, board tram, run to pick quest, grab weapon, kill, turn in, talk to 4 people in the bar+path person, go fight dominion, go into a room where you click on about 7 things, go fight more dominion, bam, departure deck.

Dominion is spawn, take quest, answer questionaire, click on 6 people, talk to emperor, take tram, cancel tram cinematic. Run to talk to Mondo, click 3 things, talk to Mondo again, grab weapons, kill, turn in, talk to emperor, go to church, talk to like 3 guys, click 6 things, take blessing, talk to emperor, go into museum, click on 4 objects, turn quest in, click on 4 people, click on 3 cameras, finally go fight holograms, talk to emperor again, departure deck.

I mean yeah it's a petty complaint but the Dominion tutorial ship feels like a bigger waste of time because there's even more poo poo to click before you get to do some real fighting. The Exile ship is more speed-runable :v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

a cat on an apple posted:

So in my first few hours of Housing I became rather disappointed in how small the houses actually were.
Interesting experiment. You ought to suggest a clear blank plot as a buyable option for that plug, or for them to let us just empty it. Of course there are bigger houses to buy at higher levels, but why wait if you can DIY?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Psykmoe posted:

I mean yeah it's a petty complaint but the Dominion tutorial ship feels like a bigger waste of time because there's even more poo poo to click before you get to do some real fighting. The Exile ship is more speed-runable :v:
On the other hand the Dominion ship is swankier and a much cooler place to hang out... that you leave forever. Welp.

I did like the little extra touches in the Dominion sequence like the brief makeover you get in the church, the actual Exile zone tunes playing in the simulators (something you can't even catch unless you play both), and little benches with windows up above them where you can observe the other noobs fighting through them.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm sorry, my scanbot told me the music in the exile simulation is only 0.07% likely to be listened to by actual Exiles. Immersion destroyed :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Something about playing a space doctor who is also a space zombie tickles my funny bone.

The more I read about this game the more interested I get (well, other than the whole 20+ person raids thing). I just wish I could find any sort of decent discussion about it outside of this thread. Even the 'official' forums are barely used, it seems.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Is there any way to search for people in a guild? I've been trying to get in the dominion guild but none of the invitees has been on. If I could get an invite, name is the same as my username.

The medic is a ton of fun, I at first tried out the psychic space mage guy and that didn't click but medic is neato.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Ramadu posted:

Is there any way to search for people in a guild? I've been trying to get in the dominion guild but none of the invitees has been on. If I could get an invite, name is the same as my username.

The medic is a ton of fun, I at first tried out the psychic space mage guy and that didn't click but medic is neato.

I've had the same issue. My IGN is the same as well if an inviter is on.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

How's the latency for people in Europe playing on US servers? Looking at videos of the combat, it seems like a game where you'd want it to be as low as possible.

I had a hell of a time dodging some of the faster telegraphed attacks in FF14 :smith:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Not really keen on the lack of the ability to put spaces in the names.

Sci-fi just doesn't seem to lend itself to injecting random vowels until you find an unpronounceable combo that hasn't been taken like fantasy does.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cyclomatic posted:

Not really keen on the lack of the ability to put spaces in the names.

Sci-fi just doesn't seem to lend itself to injecting random vowels until you find an unpronounceable combo that hasn't been taken like fantasy does.

This is probably my biggest beef with the character creator, such as it is. I'd like more elaborate names, the single name with no spaces is kind of a step back from more recent MMOs.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Anyone in the Bad Rats guild on NA Nexus can invite, since it's only Open Beta, so just post in the thread to get invited. This information should probably be added to the OP!

CrashCat posted:

Interesting experiment. You ought to suggest a clear blank plot as a buyable option for that plug, or for them to let us just empty it. Of course there are bigger houses to buy at higher levels, but why wait if you can DIY?

I'm definitely going to suggest it, yeah, but first I think I'm going to try and make a really awesome non-standard House to further my case as it being an appropriate thing. It's just really difficult - round or cylindrical walls just don't exist, so the choices are either rectangular floors to fit walls, misaligned poo poo with gaps between walls and floors, or just a design that doesn't necessarily require. The lattermost is workable, but the best I came up with after a few hours of brainstorming is a sort of tree house, which I'll probably spend tonight and tomorrow attempting.

And honestly, even if there were round or cylindrical walls, they wouldn't help extremely much. I wouldn't expect much popularity in this from the general populace.

drat, though, if Housing didn't hook me hard.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It kinda bugs me that you could have your character ask a bunch of questions that they should know and absolutely no one calls you on it.

They could easily explain it away too. Just call it a side effect of the cryosleep or some.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

It kinda bugs me that you could have your character ask a bunch of questions that they should know and absolutely no one calls you on it.

They could easily explain it away too. Just call it a side effect of the cryosleep or some.

On the other hand, in the Dominion tutorial area you get asked about some celebrity person before the player is ever told about her (unless I am totally blind) and you're just expected to guess at the answer.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

WarLocke posted:

On the other hand, in the Dominion tutorial area you get asked about some celebrity person before the player is ever told about her (unless I am totally blind) and you're just expected to guess at the answer.

If you say you're not a fan of Artemis Zin, you're accused of having terrible taste in pop culture, which let's face it, there's nothing really worse.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will say this: despite being connected to the anime rat people, leading a group of sentient veggies was adorable. :3:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

If you say you're not a fan of Artemis Zin, you're accused of having terrible taste in pop culture, which let's face it, there's nothing really worse.

If you say that you don't understand the procedure they tell you that understanding isn't important and whether or not you enjoy beer.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Normal Adult Human posted:

If you say that you don't understand the procedure they tell you that understanding isn't important and whether or not you enjoy beer.

I am willing to admit that the Exiles have some nice personality. I just don't know how to not play as Chua.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I am willing to admit that the Exiles have some nice personality. I just don't know how to not play as Chua.

Honestly, why does the Dominion have to get the two best races? I speak of mogwai and robits of course.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Are Espers powerful enough in DPS/Healing to warrant their fiddliness? Lot of static abilities and cooldown juggling going on.

I can't speak to how effective they were but they were boring as hell to play, at least for the first few levels. drat near uninstallingly bad. For a game that talked a lot about face paced, mobile combat rooting your character for all attacks seems out of place.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Xae posted:

I can't speak to how effective they were but they were boring as hell to play, at least for the first few levels. drat near uninstallingly bad. For a game that talked a lot about face paced, mobile combat rooting your character for all attacks seems out of place.

From what I've seen of the Level 50 streamers, Espers can get in the top for DPS, so they definitely work. It's true that their lack of mobility can be kind of a turn off compared to, say, Medic where I basically never stop moving.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Just look at this guy.

I'm very proud.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ANAKIN NOOOOO!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Xae posted:

drat, I've been tearing poo poo up, twirling around like a madman and firing giant psychic sawblades at fools. Hell, even when the R ability roots you to gain points you can still dash dodge out of attacks. I already barely use the rooted builder as it is, if there's another coming up I'll replace it entirely.

Psykmoe posted:

I'm sorry, my scanbot told me the music in the exile simulation is only 0.07% likely to be listened to by actual Exiles. Immersion destroyed :colbert:
Just from that one speaker. As a Scientist, you should know how important it is to be precise!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lawlicaust posted:

I've had the same issue. My IGN is the same as well if an inviter is on.
Sorry we missed you, if you get on irc.synirc.net #wildstar and pester someone I'm sure they'd get you in. I sent a friend request in case you jump back on while I'm awake.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

CrashCat posted:

drat, I've been tearing poo poo up, twirling around like a madman and firing giant psychic sawblades at fools. Hell, even when the R ability roots you to gain points you can still dash dodge out of attacks. I already barely use the rooted builder as it is, if there's another coming up I'll replace it entirely.

You get the non-rooted builder at 11, which I always switch to and never look back. Yes, I have to tap my 1 button a lot but not only can I move and attack with it, because it's a triple-shot attack ability, if I have to stop and dodge roll out of something, I don't instantly lose all of my previously built up damage unlike Telekinetic Burst which just cancels.

They really shouldn't have Telekinetic Burst as the Esper's first ability though.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have a little trouble with the little key pressing minigame that comes up when you get CC'd or more specifically, when you're caught in a bear trap around Celestion.

I unbind Q and E from strafe and just use the turn left/right keys while holding mouselook to strafe. This minigame thing uses the strafe keys specifically, which I can't hit since I have them unbound. It would be nice if it accepted either the turn or strafe keys. I /bug'd it too.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I'm just in love with NPC dialogs.

quote:

Geophysicist Tanith: Ah! Good to take small break.
Geochemist Banith: But, Tanith! I can only take a "break" if I'm actually working in the first place.
Geophysicist Tanith: Shh! Artemis Zin's show coming on!
Geochemist Banith: "Artemis Zin and the Elder Cube?" But this is a rerun!
Geophysicist Tanith: But watching fourth time might yield important revelations not previously observed.
Geochemist Banith: Mondo not happy if he finds out. Supposed to be monitoring geothermal activity. Also, pumera. Lots of pumera.
Geophysicist Tanith: Shh, starting. Oh, Artemis. So perfect. Like experiment where hypothesis accurately maps results.

Geophysicist Tanith: Wait! This part good. Finds Elder Cube!
Geochemist Banith: Already know she doesn't get it.
Geophysicist Tanith: Spoiler!
Geochemist Banith: Not spoiler if Tanith already seen four times.
Geophysicist Tanith: ...Tanith hope pumera eats you.

I wish they had more voice acting, not for quests, but for the NPC conversations. :3:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I'm just in love with NPC dialogs.

I wish they had more voice acting, not for quests, but for the NPC conversations. :3:
That one's even better when you were there for her not getting the Elder Cube. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jargon
Apr 22, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Ignoring hurfing and durfing about Chua, which faction is better? Only played for less than an hour as Exile and I was not particularly impressed.

EDIT: Or I could just simply start a new character...

I wasn't super into the Exile storyline, but I thought that playing as a member of what is basically the Warhammer 40k Imperium was pretty cool :)

• Locked thread